NY - Samuel Bankman-Fried (FTX), Alleged Fraud, Money Laundering, 2019-2022 *Arrest*

Wow. Just wow. That’s all I can say after reading these articles. As an auditor, this is a worst nightmare scenario.

SBF's lawyers said they need more time to meet the bail terms that require installation of monitoring software on his parents' devices.

:rolleyes: Seriously. Is there even a point in installing it at this point? He’s had months to use everything restriction-free.

SBF’s bid to use FTX’s $10M director and officer liability insurance policy for his defense has been denied without prejudice by the judge because SBF has not sufficiently proven that he does not have the means to pay his legal bills (expected to be in the millions) himself. The judge said that an evidentiary hearing can be held at a later date, if SBF desires.

Interesting. To me at least. lol I didn't know he'd been avoiding this. I also didn't know he was involved in any way. I guess I'll go back under my rock now. lol

After months of attempting to serve Shaquille O’Neal in a lawsuit against celebrities who endorsed the now-bankrupt FTX crypto platform, lawyers for a group of FTX investors said they finally succeeded on Sunday.

“Plaintiffs in the billion $ FTX class action case just served @SHAQ outside his house,” the Moskowitz Law Firm tweeted. “His home video cameras recorded our service and we made it very clear that he is not to destroy or erase any of these security tapes, because they must be preserved for our lawsuit.”

• Sam Bankman-Fried's lawyers have proposed a system to monitor activity on his parents' cell phones to ensure he isn't using them.
  • They told the court this week the software they downloaded doesn't have a function they agreed to use.
  • The proposed monitoring is part of the bail agreement that allow SBF to remain out of jail on house arrest.

Here are a couple developments on the celebrity endorsement side of the case.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. If he’s not meeting the terms of his house arrest, he should wait for his trial in jail.
Agreed!! I stated the same upthread. Apparently the court doesn't care about what I think should be done as he's still out on house arrest. lol And living with his parents who are tangled up in this mess! WTH!?!??! :eek:

"New modifications to the bail conditions for disgraced FTX cofounder Sam Bankman-Fried proposed Friday would subject every phone call, text message, and downloaded app on his parents' personal devices to possible review by the courts."

Why are SBF's lawyers attempting to create the appearance of more transparency for the parents? It seems that the parents are desperate to keep SBF under their roof. Is it because the parents are actually close enough to the fraud to be co-conspirators? They want to keep the son close so he doesn't flip and implicate them? Simply trying to protect their boy?
  1. Why are the SBF's lawyers suggesting this and how is it advantageous to their client?
  2. Too easy to circumvent monitoring using burner phones.
  3. SBF + the parents could use it to create a strategic narrative for future court cases by carefully curating what they text, who they call and what they say, what sites they look at, what apps they use.
SBF is smart and cunning, the parents are smart and cunning lawyers, they live together and they all have retained smart and cunning lawyers.

"New modifications to the bail conditions for disgraced FTX cofounder Sam Bankman-Fried proposed Friday would subject every phone call, text message, and downloaded app on his parents' personal devices to possible review by the courts."

Why are SBF's lawyers attempting to create the appearance of more transparency for the parents? It seems that the parents are desperate to keep SBF under their roof. Is it because the parents are actually close enough to the fraud to be co-conspirators? They want to keep the son close so he doesn't flip and implicate them? Simply trying to protect their boy?
SBMFF

I feel like they are plotting, planning, and getting their stories straight. I also feel they ALL had their fingers in the pie. SBF just got a larger piece of the pie. I just do NOT understand why he's allowed to live in his parents house and not wait behind bars. This just feels *advertiser censored*-backwards to me but what the heck do I know?

Recent SBF Developments

Storybook Brawl, which was acquired by FTX Ventures in March 2022, will shut down on May 1.

The judge has approved modified measures to monitor SBF’s parents’ phones while SBF is out on bail. Instead of taking a photo of the phone’s user ever five minutes (which was deemed an unavailable feature), the monitoring software will log keystrokes and monitor app downloads, internet browsing history, texts, and audio/video phone calls.

The FBI has searched the $4m home of Ryan Salame, a former top FTX executive and major political donor. Federal authorities believe some of those political donations came from misappropriated customer funds and were part of a straw donor scheme by SBF.

FTX has gotten the bankruptcy court’s go-ahead to sell LedgerX for $50M in a bid to raise funds to pay back creditors.

FTX also announced its intention to attempt to claw back roughly $4 billion from Genesis Global Capital.

• FTX co-founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, 31, filed motions to dismiss most charges against him in connection with the collapse of the FTX cryptocurrency platform
  • Bankman-Fried's legal team argues that the charges were brought hastily by prosecutors, who sought to turn civil and regulatory issues into federal crimes
  • He is not contesting three charges related to commodities fraud, securities fraud and money laundering

• FTX co-founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, 31, filed motions to dismiss most charges against him in connection with the collapse of the FTX cryptocurrency platform
  • Bankman-Fried's legal team argues that the charges were brought hastily by prosecutors, who sought to turn civil and regulatory issues into federal crimes
  • He is not contesting three charges related to commodities fraud, securities fraud and money laundering
SBF's lawyers are probing, probing, probing, throwing motions against the judicial wall to see if anything sticks, to sus out where the legal weaknesses are, to develop legal strategy going forward.

This ("who sought to turn civil and regulatory issues into federal crimes") may be the telling point -- to see if there is any possibility of downgrading charges under civil/regulatory law to avoid Federal felony charges...or, dismissing the worst charges, leaving only things that can be charged in civil court. Legal chess. Alternately, a friend described legal to-ing and fro-ing like a Medieval jousting tournament, when each horseman tries to unseat the other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back