Identified! NY - Staten Island, WhtFem 16-27, UP2689, scorpion tattoo, ring watch, dress, sneakers, Sep'91 - Christine Belusko

looking at the top of the watch under the 12 it looks like the fish symbol for being a christian.

I have an old watch ring similar to this at home. I believe I purchased from Avon years ago. Here are some Avon watch ring images I found as well.

picture.php

picture.php

kudos to whoever finds this ring. I've looked everywhere and can't find anything that matches it exactly, ugh

i looked into avon, too...especially since they did these watch rings for birthstone colors... which i thought might make sense if she was especially proud of being a scorpio (seems like a gift an aunt would give).

but still doesn't solve the mystery of the text below the 12.

i have been thinking a lot of jane in snippets of moments today, and i am wondering why if she worked at the hospitals/clinics/etc she wasn't reported missing or identified. wonder if they canvassed the area with her sketch?

i haven't had any luck finding articles on when she was found, etc....

anyone else have luck with that?

Hi guys...
Here is an update,
the NAMUS contact Patrick Savage no longer works for the NYPD and as such cannot supply me with the police report however we can contact the NYPD and ask for a copy of the police report. As I live in Aus this would be very difficult so I am hoping someone will raise their hands to volunteer on this one.

Also Patrick volunteered the following information which was very helpful:
"The subject has been identified in this case. We are trying to just ID her. If she was a prostitute she would probably have a record and we would have ID her through prints. She was found during the early morning hrs. We believe she was dumped late the day before and then he may have come back and burned her. Her ethnic backround is not certain, her sketch is not great, we are working on cleaning up the crime scene photos with the feds. There was no pocketbook on or near her just some change and some cigarettes. Almost everything has been done on this case . The original Detective tracked the dresses down to a area in QNS new York. There were 21 pieces in the tri-state area. 16 were accounted for through credit card receipts. The other 6 were paid by cash. This case was on several TV shows back in the 90’s."

If anyone has anymore questions I will be sure to ask him :)

so probably a good place to start would be tattoo parlors in that area. since they were illegal in NYC at the time, its likely there weren't loads and someone may recognize it.

did he mean suspect id'd when he said subject? that confused me.

pearly, just wondering about any updates.

this UID is still showing up in Namus:

https://identifyus.org/cases/2689

I thought they knew who she was and were just trying to make it certain.

for whatever it is worth, Patrick Savage is still listed as the contact person on the Namus page, yet almost 2 years ago, pearly was advised he was no longer a cop.

the office is listed as the NYC Medical Examiner's Office but usually those have been going through (and I might have the spelling wrong) Ben Figuera.

I'm wondering whether maybe she had a more dressy, sexy or businesslike pair of shoes in a handbag that was never found? Maybe she was walking to or from work or a night out.

Bumping this case to bring it back up to the top-spoke to Patrick Savage recently and it seems this girl is still unidentified. As stated somewhere on this thread, the original detective tracked down all but 5 or 6 of the dresses sold locally, and they checked with a great many local tattoo artists regarding the scorpion tattoo-no one seemed to have any knowlege of the tattoo. I wonder if maybe she was a transplant to the NY area and got her tattoo somewhere else?

I had never heard of those shoes (I was only three when she was murdered) so I googled them. Here's a picture I found on google. Do these look the same as you remember?

user-image-1218516003.jpg

ETA: They were apparently popular in the 80's. Were people still wearing them in the early 90's too? Judging from her jewelry, she didn't seem poor. The website the picture is from says they sold for about $0.99. (Please, if anyone knows, correct me if I'm wrong about any of this - I couldn't find much info on the shoes). Why was she wearing nice chains, but really cheap shoes? The dress doesn't look 'cheap' either. About the ring, it's hard to say without seeing it in person. I don't know if anyone sold upscale ones, but I do remember as a kid trying to win them in those quarter machines.

The Thom McAn Balloon sneakers were quite popular with women who had to work on their feet -- waitresses, counter help, etc. They're inexpensive but were considered good quality for the money. Yes, I used to wear them.

The shoes plus the dress make me wonder if she was a hostess or cocktail waitress at a medium-ish sort of place. Ruby Tuesday or Longhorn or someplace local.

I'd think that parents who cared enough to pay for braces, would be looking for their daughter. I don't necessarily think the family knows she has that tattoo (I wouldn't know if my daughter had one on her backside)-and maybe there is a set of parents in another state looking for a daughter, not knowing she could have disappeared on Staten Island?

Just wanted to bump this girl's case up because a few of us were discussing it on another thread. I can't imagine why it seems like nobody's been looking for her, unless her family isn't local to NY, and they don't know she's been dead for 23 years-this girl may have been estranged from her family. Since it looks like she had braces at one time, I am curious to know if it is as common in other countries as it is here for parents to put braces on their kids' teeth?

NamUs UP Case 2689
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2689

645UFNY.jpg

Unidentified White Female
* Found 19 September 1991:
The above female victim was found in a vacant lot on 9/19/91. She was struck approx 17 times with a large hammer(body shop type)Her body was smoldering when found by passerby. The victim does have a tatoo of a scorpion on her right Buttocks. She was wearing a black knit type 3/4 length dress with pink or fusia colored collar and pocket. White size 8 low cut Thom Mcaan "Baloon" sneakers. White bra, black "G-string type panties with multicolored flowers. Victim was wearing a 18 inch gold herringbone necklace, 20 inch gold rope chain necklace,a ring that contained a small watch face with a expandable band possibly black in color. She was set afire with turpentine. Dental records and fingerprints are available. Case was submitted to VICAP IN 1991 UNDER CASE # 91-NY-237

* Estimated Year of Death: 1991

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 20-27 years old
* Approximate Height: 65' estimated
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and eyes.
* Dentals: Available
* Clothing/Jewelry:
black 3/4 lenght knit dress.Fusia trim on neckline and pocket. size medium "Timely Trends" brand. White bra, black G string type panties with multicolored flowers..

Thom Mcaan size 8 white "Balloon"low cut sneakers, size 8

18 inch gold herringbone necklace,20 inch gold rope chain, ring watch(small watch face on ring)with brown expansion band

* DNA:
Sample submitted - Tests complete.

Case History
Body of white female were found in water in the city of Staten Island.

could she have been involved/the gf of a cartel type person? also maybe she is from south west (tx, nm, az) they don't have tons of scorpions in the east.
or was there a gang called scorpions locally around that time?

Bumping this girl up; somebody has to be looking for her

could she have been a body packer from south America? was isotopes ever taken?

Just input from an 80s teen. The shoes were huge in the 80s. They were cheap, washable, very comfortable, and were tough. They were worn with everything. Jeans to dresses. I didn't think anything of her dress and the sneakers. It was a quick 80s flashback. I wore them until early 90s and was probably among many 80s kids who did. And they're not even one of our worst fashion statements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tattoo clearly looks home done to me (low level of artistic skill, one color of ink).

I would also add that it looks prison done as well, but my general impression is that women's prisons do not have any where near the same problem with illegal tattooing that men's prisons have.

That aside, her body was evidently set alight with turpentine and the poor victim was beaten with a body shop style hammer. Turpentine is used to thin paints, which could reinforce the idea of the perpetrator being an auto body man. One other interesting point is that the perpetrator knew that turpentine is flammable. This also points to a professional user as a casual user may not be aware of the flammability.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back