GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #2

Greetings WebSleuths!
I've been intrigued about that drain-age plug Angelika apparently removed,
for how could Vinny, and Angelika herself, if she apparently removed it, have not noticed this prior to their initial paddle out, when getting ready to leaving Plum Point to paddle over to Bannerman Island, to trespass at the place Angelika did volunteer work, drink some cold Cerveza Modelo Especial beer, have Angelika slip into something more comfy for a sexy photo shoot, and yet still not notice that the drain-age plug on Vinny's kayak was missing???

Here's the stern of The Vinny yak,
the drain-age plug unscrewed, still in the yak, but in my hand:
picture.php

Heck,
here's a photo from yesterday, from a different camera mount,
located underneath the cargo hatch(*)
after I got it set up before placing it on over the open hatch.
picture.php

See that open drain-age hole?

How the heck did Vinny nor Angelika not notice this,
nor discuss this, nor do anything about this open hole before their 1st paddle?

Or as they got ready for their 2nd paddle to home, where their car was parked???

Something is very fishy about this case we discuss...
My 2¢ only,
RW
:seeya:

(*)- PS: For you folks interested in this case we discuss,
you will like the test pix I'm doin' + I have already done.
Trust me...

Heck,
here's a photo from yesterday, from a diffI'm also wondering if there is photographic evidence that can verify whether or not the drain plug was in before they launched. The Bridge Authority definitely has cameras on each of the bridges. Plum Point is a relatively busy spot as there is a beach that people like to bring small children to skip rocks, fish, etc. People go there to take pictures, bird watch, just take in the views. At one point, the state police had set up a road check near Plum Point to hand out flyers and speak with people who frequent the area. Perhaps they were able to speak to someone who happened to have them (and/or the kayak) in a picture? Just thinking out loud. The authorities must have something considering the charges. Again, JMHO.erent camera mount,
located underneath the cargo hatch(*)
after I got it set up before placing it on over the open hatch.
picture.php

See that open drain-age hole?

How the heck did Vinny nor Angelika not notice this,
nor discuss this, nor do anything about this open hole before their 1st paddle?

Or as they got ready for their 2nd paddle to home, where their car was parked???

Something is very fishy about this case we discuss...
My 2¢ only,
RW

(*)- PS: For you folks interested in this case we discuss,
you will like the test pix I'm doin' + I have already done.
Trust me...

I think you're on to something here. From your pictures, it seems that it would be difficult to miss the open hole where the drain plug should be. I'm beginning to wonder if she took the drain plug out while on the island (the one that the cat played with could have been a spare for all we know.) At that point, he might not have thought he had another option except to try to paddle back without it. All we have is her story right now and what she's portrayed on social media and I agree....there is something very fishy here. JMHO.

I'm also wondering if perhaps they have photographic evidence that determines whether or not the drain plug was in the kayak at the time of the launch. The Bridge Authority has cameras on the bridges. The state police early in the investigation had set up a road check near Plum Point to hand out flyers and talk to people who frequent the park. Perhaps they were able to get a photo of them (and/or the kayak) before or just after they launched. FWIW, Plum Point is a relatively popular place. Each time I've been there, there were always people near the benches or along the beach. People with small children can often be seen skipping rocks, fishing, etc. Others appear to simply enjoy photographing the views and/or birdwatch (many times with scopes and binoculars.) It was also a time when striper fisherman were getting eager for their season to start, so there may have been shore fisherman there as well. It's possible someone happened to get them or the kayaks in a photo shot. The authorities must have something to support the charges and their original statement that this was an elaborate ruse. JMHO.

That's troubling to me, the time of their departure. It would make more sense to depart at say 11:00AM with more sun, less wind than to make the crossing under those conditions at sunset. I would have called a friend to pick me up and drive me to my car.

How could you not notice freezing water? I'd like to know how they were dressed.

Again, if it was me, I would have plugged up that hole with a rolled up plastic bag or something. Just saying.....

Thanks for the pic. (I can't get the video to play)
The white caps I've seen are much larger than that.

That pic shows leaves on the trees. In April-NO LEAVES, cold and dreary.

Bannerman's is between Beacon and Cold Spring. The river narrows dramatically as you approach Cold Spring. Think of it as a funnel.

All that water funneling through the narrows as tides change. So currents get very strong. The water there is "choppy".

The wind picked up about 4PM. That's just terrible conditions. :(

Even if he managed to improvise a hole plug, that kayak model would have sunk. It is not designed for anything except recreational piddling around, certainly not for fast water, wind, open seas, etc. It does not have sealed bulkheads: water gets in and fills the cockpit. Toast. Plus, the victim did not have the PFD required by the state of NY. At that time of year, it is required to be on, not just in the boat. Boat swamps, and he's floating out of it into swift current.

This is the Bannerman Island weather station wind report from the day Vinny died.
Sunday, April 19, 2015

picture.php

Here are the graph details:
picture.php

I was curious about wind direction. According to the graph, they were paddling directly into 30mph wind. I wonder about the tide?

That wind would have made it that much harder for them. :(

Greetings BunnyHop and WebSlueths!
Happy New Year to you all!

I'm a bit confused BunnyHop,
for from reading the weather report + the Graph Detail report,
would not Vinny + Anglika had the winds coming from their left, err port side?

The wind direction had shifted around 3:00pm-ish,
and after 4:00pm the wind was now I believe, blowing up from the South-South West
on that Sunday afternoon on April 19, 2015. Against The River flow.

Here's a weak attempt at explaning myself better using my weak Windows Paint skills,
I could not quite get the arrow to correctly point towards what I believe to be the correct Wind Direction. South-South West towards North, right?

But still, it kinda gives folks a better grasp of the scenario, I feel:
picture.php

Would not that have been more of a side wind, pushing their kayaks up-river?

Thanks again for your local knowledge!
RW

That's troubling to me, the time of their departure. It would make more sense to depart at say 11:00AM with more sun, less wind than to make the crossing under those conditions at sunset. I would have called a friend to pick me up and drive me to my car.

How could you not notice freezing water? I'd like to know how they were dressed.

<Snip>
Hiya BunnyHop!
I agree with you, how can a person not feel the freezin' water???

Here's a recent pic as I launched The Vinny Viafore kayak once again,
this time on a gorgeous sunny New Years Day afternoon at a beach
where I sometimes see Great White Sharks(*) leap out of the water.
picture.php

Notice my leg getting wet?
Vinny would have quickly known how cold the water was, surely Angelika + he talked about it that day,
they should have been, in my humble opinion, extra careful as they paddled to and from The Island.

Here in Los Angeles on New Years Day, the water temp was about 59°-60°, the surf was small,
(though I bet the set waves that did come in that day were larger than The Hudson generally has,
as far as I can tell from any pix or in the vid's that I've ever seen or watched)
so I, for the 1st time in all my test paddles or off-the-coast line cruises,
launched + paddled The Vinny yak with-out the drain-plug screwed in.
I did sink that day...
RW

(*) - A Breaching Great White Shark in the near shore waters off Los Angeles?:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...f-sunset-beach-causes-buzz-among-surfers.html

I'm a bit confused BunnyHop,
for from reading the weather report + the Graph Detail report,
would not Vinny + Anglika had the winds coming from their left, err port side?

It seems the wind coming from the SW @7PM and that is the direction they were paddling.

Even if he managed to improvise a hole plug, that kayak model would have sunk. It is not designed for anything except recreational piddling around, certainly not for fast water, wind, open seas, etc. It does not have sealed bulkheads: water gets in and fills the cockpit. Toast. Plus, the victim did not have the PFD required by the state of NY. At that time of year, it is required to be on, not just in the boat. Boat swamps, and he's floating out of it into swift current.

Greetings RickshawFan!
Reading your post above, you seem to make it sound as if the kayak Vinny Viafore was paddling in on the day he died was a death trap, his death guaranted, it was just a-waiting to happen.

I happen to dis-agree.
I find it odd that his kayak did not fill up with water due to strong winds and white-capping waves as he 1st paddled over to Bannerman Island. If his drain-age plug had already been removed...

I also find it odd that he did not capsize immediately when 1st paddling back from Bannerman Island, heading home to the original departure launch area of Plum Point. Why? Any surfer, kayaker, boater or waterman knows any type of wave is steeper, higher + that they break harder in shallower water near the shoreline than those waves that swell up farther off the shoreline, out to sea.

Vinny Viafore's kayak "accident" happened some 10-15 minutes out into the paddle back.
1/2 to 2/3rds of the way back. NOT near shore.

I've made mention here, + elsewhere, that I've been ah, doin' some tests.
Now keep in mind I ain't no expert, esh, I've never takin' a kayak pddlin' class, it's all been self taught, ok? But I have spent many hours in the *advertiser censored*-pit seat, so I'm kinda experienced, ya might say. Esh, The Vinny yak I sometimes paddle now has over 50 some-odd miles on it...

Now have a look at some of the many pix that my gal Melissa shot of me in small surf near shore here on a beach in Los Angeles on December 24, 2015, the day before Christmas, ok?

12/24/15 - 3:38:01pm
[SIZE=-2]Photo:© Melissa Shirley[/SIZE]

12/24/15 - 3:38:13pm

12/24/15 - 3:38:32pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:06pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:07pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:11pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:35pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:42pm

The waves I sometimes do tests in are waaay bigger that any I have ever seen in any video or photo's from out near Bannerman Island on The Hudson River.

Do not believe me?
Have a look, ok?

Kayakers near Bannerman Island:

Crazy Waves approach the stern of a kayaker near Bannerman Island:

1 of The River Rats wind surfin' off Bannerman Island on The Hudson River:

I'm an old surfer from Los Angeles
and still, every day, my life revolves around waves, swells, wind.
Don'tcha find it odd that when I paddled The Vinny yak it did not capsize
nor toss me into the cold waters of The Pacific Ocean in these tests I did on Christmas Eve?

Can you not see the water overcoming the stern of The Vinny kayak?
He was taller + weighed more than I do. His stern woulda been lower in the water.

If the drain-age hole plug on the stern of his kayak
was "accidentally" removed because the cat was playing with it,
well, Vinny is toast, as you put it...

My 2¢ only,
RW

Greetings RickshawFan!
Reading your post above, you seem to make it sound as if the kayak Vinny Viafore was paddling in on the day he died was a death trap, his death guaranted, it was just a-waiting to happen.

I happen to dis-agree.
I find it odd that his kayak did not fill up with water due to strong winds and white-capping waves as he 1st paddled over to Bannerman Island. If his drain-age plug had already been removed...

I also find it odd that he did not capsize immediately when 1st paddling back from Bannerman Island, heading home to the original departure launch area of Plum Point. Why? Any surfer, kayaker, boater or waterman knows any type of wave is steeper, higher + that they break harder in shallower water near the shoreline than those waves that swell up farther off the shoreline, out to sea.

Vinny Viafore's kayak "accident" happened some 10-15 minutes out into the paddle back.
1/2 to 2/3rds of the way back. NOT near shore.

I've made mention here, + elsewhere, that I've been ah, doin' some tests.
Now keep in mind I ain't no expert, esh, I've never takin' a kayak pddlin' class, it's all been self taught, ok? But I have spent many hours in the *advertiser censored*-pit seat, so I'm kinda experienced, ya might say. Esh, The Vinny yak I sometimes paddle now has over 50 some-odd miles on it...

Now have a look at some of the many pix that my gal Melissa shot of me in small surf near shore here on a beach in Los Angeles on December 24, 2015, the day before Christmas, ok?

12/24/15 - 3:38:01pm

12/24/15 - 3:38:13pm

12/24/15 - 3:38:32pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:06pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:07pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:11pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:35pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:42pm

The waves I sometimes do tests in are waaay bigger that any I have ever seen in any video or photo's from out near Bannerman Island on The Hudson River. Don'tcha find it odd that The Vinny yak did not capsize nor toss me into the cold waters of The Pacific Ocean in these tests I did?

Can you not see the water overcoming the stern of The Vinny kayak?
He was taller + weighed more than I do. His stern woulda been lower in the water.

If the drain-age hole plug on the stern of his kayak
was "accidentally" removed because the cat was playing with it,
well, Vinny is toast, as you put it...

My 2¢ only,
RW

Great pictures and post, only one question. Were you drinking before you went out? I've had days when I've shot class IV rapids. Then some other days I wouldn't get into a large boat on a small pond. Add alcohol into the mix and anything goes. I've no clue as to what happened but what someone can do on any given day, no one knows.

Greetings WebSlueths,
These will be the last few of my many tests pix that I have done that I'll post here, suffice to say that The Vinny kayak can indeed paddle thru waves and ride them too, with out a dude simply capsizing.

That said, water obviously can and will sometimes get into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area. BUT when it does, it has already been going over the stern area. And if the drain-age screw is not there because "the cat" was playing with it, well in my humble opinion, Angelika is where she belongs nowadays...

Date:12-19-15
Conditions: Surf - Small to nearly flat.
Cloudy skies, I have my Ripcurl 3/2 mm wetsuit halfway on:

9:42:24am

9:42:50am

9:44:07am

9:44:09am

9:44:09am

9:44:29am

9:44:30am

See ya next time,
RW

Greetings Websleuths!
Thanks again for all the info you have posted here,
hope that I can too help share some info back-atcha!

There's some folks around on the WWW
that debate this case we discuss who consider me a troll.
And I think this is lame.

As I've mentioned before,
I am an old surfer. Old in age, old in wave knowledge.
Esh, this September of 2016, I'll celebrate 40 years of surfing in the waters of Los Angeles, yea!!! Back in dayz of my youth, I've been an LA Mens Champion surfer, a WSA West Coast Mens Champ, a member of The 1984 United States Surf Team, and a member of the prestigious Top 16 of The PSAA U.S. Pro Tour of Surfing. Earned more than a few paychecks for ridin' waves. Had a few pix in all the surf magazines back in the day, heck my Mom, deceased nowadays, was kinda stoked to go to the store and open Surfer Magazine and see a photo of her son RW ridin' a wave, yea! You might say that I know a lil' bit about waves, swells, wind on the water...

Since 2009,
I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in the *advertiser censored*-pit seat of different kayaks, sometimes for pleasure paddling, sometime to try and observe local L.A. sharks, all because of my deep interest into what had happened to a surfer and his chick back on Jan. 26th of 1989 after they went for a short 1+1/2 mile paddle to some pier in Malibu, but never made it home. 2 days later, Tamara McAllister was found some 28 nautical miles up the coastline, 28 miles against the normal prevailing swell direction and normal currents. She was killed by a Great White Shark, her boyfriend Roy Stoddard never found. Digging deep into this intriguing mystery, I found some things that others did not know of, including Roy's Family.

Fast forward to today.
I think that I mighta just found something.
Because I have hours + hours of paddling experience AND I also nowadays have the same model of kayak as Vincent Viafore did when he died, I sometimes pick up clues that other folks, some of whom might even paddle a kayak too, (if even just riding rapids in narrow creeks), might miss in this case we discuss.

Case in point.
Angelika Graswald has supposedly said that the reason that Vinny did not have his drain-age screw plugged in on Sunday, April 19, 2015, was because "the cat" was playing with it.

Hmmmm.
Now this got me thinking, you too?
Was the screw un-did and simply lying inside of Vinny's kayak all winter so "the cat" could play with it?

Bein' a curious kinda dude,
and with the surf just a lil' sloppy right now, and not too big yet, (it's gonna get huge in the next 72 hours here in California!!!), well I had another look at Angelika's Instagram account that 1 of you fine folks found awhile back and linked here on WebSleuths.

Guess what I found?
A photo on Instagram showing, most likely,
the drain-age plug screwed in on Vinny's kayak stern that Angelika apparently uploaded on March 11, 2015!

Why the heck did "the cat" unscrew the drain-age plug to play with it?
If it did so, why didn't "the cat" screw the plug back in after it had its fun toyin' around with this important part of Vincent Viafore's kayak?

I'll post a coupla pix for ya,
hope they help me explain what I'm tryin' to convey to you a bit better that my typin' skills, ok?

Here's Angelika + Vinny out on The Hudson River on June 8, 2014.
See the drain-age plug screwed in on the stern of Vinny's kayak?

Now check out this pix below, uploaded on March 11, of 2015.
"The cat" is playing, and might you too agree with me that it sure looks like what I can see is part of the drain-age plug to Vinny's kayak is screwed in nice and tightly on his stern?

Heck, here's a zoomed in copy of that photo, sharpened a bit too:

That is the drain-age plug screwed in nice + tight, right?

Why the heck did "the cat" unscrew the drain-age plug just to play with it?
There are cats toys lying around the living room, as far as I can see...

My opinion only,
but Angelika's story that "the cat" was playing with it" is bullcrap.
See ya,
RW

PS - Angelika's Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/angelikas_eye/

Incredible post and stellar sleuthing RW!!!!

:takeabow:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings WebSleuths!
Please allow me to share some more pix of another test I did.
A test done that might help confirm or deny if it is possible for a good amount of water
to enter the open drain-age hole on top of the stern of the kayak Vinny was paddling.

Below is a screen grab from an ABC show, I've linked it before here.
The dudes who were doing the test poured some water from that Home Depot bucket
into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, and then let it pour outta the open drain-age hole:

Intrigued, I wondered what it would look like if someone held the stern of Vinny's kayak under water, without waves washing into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, so I mounted a coupla cameras on The Vinny kayak and had my gal Melissa, who surfs and who has kayak paddled it too, help me photograph this particular test.

If water is constantly coming over the stern, could it sink the kayak?
Heck, I seem to recall that Angelika herself says this is what happened out there on The Hudson River.
Maybe someday I'll edit some video, until then, enjoy the pix...

I've removed the drain-age plug.
We know, by a comparison photo that I shot before,
that the open drain-age hole is a bit larger than a regular garden hose.
Photo: © Melissa Shirley

A Contour camera is mounted inside the kayak, behind the seat.
Photo: © Randy Wright

Melissa's keeping warm, + will use a Canon DSLR and a coupla Canon Vixia camera to also video the test.

I'm heading out, lets see what happens if the stern is held under water for a short while, ok?

Thumbs up, let's start this test!

Grasping ahold of the stern, you can now see what it looks like from inside the stern of the kayak before I dunk it. See the shadow of my hands on the stern and that open drain-age hole? You can also see the Pacific Ocean waterline bellow my hands outside the kayak.

This test is now started, the stern of The Vinny kayak is under water!
I wondered what was going on inside the kayak???
Date: 12-24-2015
Time: 3:58:03 pm in Los Angeles.

Here is what it looks like inside the stern area as water is flowing inside.

Time: 3:58:28 pm

Looks like lots more water inside the stern now.

Date:12-24-2015 Time: 3:59:43 pm
This particular test is done.

Yep, lots of water in there.

Drain-age time! Look at that water flowin' out!
Time: 4:00:19 pm

Still more water comin' out of that small hole...
Time: 4:00:39 pm

This test was less than 2 minutes long.
IF Vinny Viafore had small waves pushing water constantly come over his stern every few seconds
for some 10-15 minutes, he would have sank IF his drain-age plug was removed,
even if he had a skirt on his open *advertiser censored*-pit...
My 2¢ only,
RW

Thank you RW + MS!
Awesome work!!!!

#JusticeForVinny

Greetings WebSleuths!
A test done that might help confirm or deny if it is possible for a good amount of water
to enter the open drain-age hole on top of the stern of the kayak Vinny was paddling.

into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, and then let it pour outta the open drain-age hole:

Intrigued, I wondered what it would look like if someone held the stern of Vinny's kayak under water, without waves washing into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, so I mounted a coupla cameras on The Vinny kayak and had my gal Melissa, who surfs and who has kayak paddled it too, help me photograph this particular test.

Heck, I seem to recall that Angelika herself says this is what happened out there on The Hudson River.

Melissa's keeping warm, + will use a Canon DSLR and a coupla Canon Vixia camera to also video the test.

I'm heading out, lets see what happens if the stern is held under water for a short while, ok?

Grasping ahold of the stern, you can now see what it looks like from inside the stern of the kayak before I dunk it. See the shadow of my hands on the stern and that open drain-age hole? You can also see the Pacific Ocean waterline bellow my hands outside the kayak.

IF Vinny Viafore had small waves pushing water constantly come over his stern every few seconds
My 2¢ only,
RW
Not even sure what the State has as evidence. So how can anyone refute anything?

Greetings WebSleuths!

My 2¢ only,
RW

Thanks for the info but if I might suggest that if you do this again, go somewhere warm to do it. Please don't freeze your backside off on our account!

[...]
A Jan. 28 court hearing for Graswald was adjourned to today, Thursday, but that date has now been adjourned to Feb. 18, Freehill's court clerk said.
Graswald's attorney Richard Portale said he expects a decision Feb. 18 on defense motions he has submitted.
[...]

A court order, signed by Dutchess Surrogate Judge James Pagones Nov. 20, was the result of an application filed by Viafore's sister, who was seeking to block Graswald from collecting any of her brother's life insurance proceeds or other assets. Graswald didn't oppose Viafore's sister's application.

Viafore's family will likely file a wrongful death civil lawsuit against Graswald, according to court filings.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ald-court-hearing-rescheduled-again/80175084/

Adjourned to February 25

A Jan. 28 court hearing for Graswald was adjourned to Feb.12, then to this Thursday; that date has now been adjourned to Feb, 25, according to Graswald's lawyer Richard Portale. Portale said last week that he expected a decision Thursday on defense motions he has submitted. Portale said he cannot comment on the nature of the motions because "the judge ordered us not to speak about the motions."

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ourt-hearing-rescheduled-third-time/80454328/

:gthanks: JerseyGirl

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nosferatu