GUILTY OH - Barb Williams for child abuse, Hancock County, 2014

Thanks, mikkismom. Interesting.

Am I the only one who continues to be struck by the lack of parental involvement or comment in this?

There were no parents at that school who spoke, or looking at the 5 folks in the audience, cared to come listen either to the school board meeting. There was a future parent who was interested in the policy and working through the policy for when his kids would attend that school, and a teacher who was in support of a policy where facts are found and decisions are made. The school board also is in favor of letting the system work.

I'm telling you what, at our schools that room would be PACKED, if only from people wanting to watch drama. There would be parents in support of the action and parents against, and although they might not speak there would be audible sighs and grunts when their position was stated. There would be parents lined up at the microphone pleading not to let this taint the reputation of their school and let's build a website bragging about our accomplishments.

Is there something about that area of the country that makes them silent and less dramatic?

My opinion - as someone who lives in 'that area of the country' :

It's a small community - I'm sure 'they' know more than 'we' do. Talk gets around fast. I'm sure they don't want the drama - that's why people choose to live in these communities - less drama. It IS being investigated by all the right people. Locals probably are waiting for it to pan out and get on with their lives. (I live about 60 miles from there in a similar small community.)

JMO

Thanks, mikkismom. Interesting.

Am I the only one who continues to be struck by the lack of parental involvement or comment in this?

There were no parents at that school who spoke, or looking at the 5 folks in the audience, cared to come listen either to the school board meeting. There was a future parent who was interested in the policy and working through the policy for when his kids would attend that school, and a teacher who was in support of a policy where facts are found and decisions are made by an appropriate process. The school board also is in favor of letting the system work. What a mouth full of oatmeal.

I'm telling you what, at our schools that room would be PACKED, if only from people wanting to watch drama. There would be parents in support of the action and parents against, and although they might not speak there would be audible sighs and grunts when their viewpoint was stated. There would be parents lined up at the microphone pleading not to let this taint the reputation of their school and let's build a website bragging about our accomplishments because we have great kids and great teachers. *applause*

Is there something about that area of the country that makes them silent and less dramatic?

I agree Jeanna . There is something very unusual in this situation.

I agree. Not only will kids will talk, so will their parents. I think it is important to remember his parents had already requested the child be transferred from the class and request was denied. Whatever happened to trigger their request had now escalated to an act of violence. This teacher arrogantly assumed the Principal would support her no matter what she did.

So whatever "notes" the principal made would be written in such a way to protect his own decision in denying the parents' request. His decisions bother me just as much as the teacher's actions. He should have reported her physical abuse to the police immediately and didn't. That is a huge failure on his part. No doubt she will lose her job but I think his job is in peril. And well it should be.

JMO

First, I disagree that the teacher, BW, arrogantly, or otherwise, "assumed the principal would support her no matter what she did." That is an opinion that isn't supported by any facts, at this point.

But even more troubling is that someone else is at risk of losing their job for an egregious breach of internal protocol, as well as a breach of confidentiality for the teacher, the student, and exposing the entire district and school board to significant liability. The question is, which person/s:

Mr. Eric Hoffman, Superintendent
Dr. Julie Spade, Riverdale Elementary Principal ("she", not "he")
Tessa Swavel, Counselor (probably social worker)- who DID, by the way, immediately report the incident to Wyandot County CPS.

All of these people had access to the security video, as well as the handwritten notes, and the letter of suspension. The big question is, which one of these people released those internal notes and documents to the media? There is NO WAY the school board, teacher's union, or the school attorney would have approved or recommended that those notes and video be released to the parents, or the media, at this EARLY point in the investigation.

Showing the video to the parents, ok-- but giving them a copy?? Were the notes provided to the parents, and THEY gave them to the media?? Who is responsible for this colossal breach of protocol?? Why is no one outraged about THAT?

If the notes and documents were not voluntarily provided to the parents or media, then they were obtained fraudently and leaked.

Either way, none of that-- the video or the school investigation notes, should be in the media at this point. Heads should be rolling for that situation, as well. The attorney for the school, and the school board members, cannot at all be thrilled with that situation. Somebody in addition to BW is going to lose their job over the colossal mishandling of this, IMHO.

http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wto...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Do the parents have a right to a copy of footage of their child? I think they actually might have a right to that under an "open records" policy. This is a video of their child in a very negative interaction with his teacher, and it was legally recorded on their own security system.

I think they have a right to it under law. I was a little surprised that his face wasn't blurred out by the media, but the parents presented Ian to the media themselves, so I guess the media didn't have to blur his face - the parents gave permission.

From reading those documents, I would say this was not the 1st time this teacher laid hands on this child. When interviewed, the child conveniently couldn't remember what happened. I don't believe that for a minute. He was afraid that she would find out he told and get him again - that's what I think.

This woman is despicable, in my opinion. And I'm ticked!

Salem

I also think he was in complete shock. I hope his parents took him to his own pediatrician and I hope he has a chance to freely state what happened during the entire incident. I am incredibly disturbed that there is time out of camera range where this woman had every chance of doing this little man further emotional/psychological/physical harm that was not recorded.

I would think there is a good possibility that other children in the classroom can shed some light on the dynamic between Ms Williams and her former student. Kids are very very observant.

First, I disagree that the teacher, BW, arrogantly, or otherwise, "assumed the principal would support her no matter what she did." That is an opinion that isn't supported by any facts, at this point.

But even more troubling is that someone else is at risk of losing their job for an egregious breach of internal protocol, as well as a breach of confidentiality for the teacher, the student, and exposing the entire district and school board to significant liability. The question is, which person/s:

Tessa Swavel, Counselor (probably social worker)- who DID, by the way, immediately report the incident to Wyandot County CPS.

All of these people had access to the security video, as well as the handwritten notes, and the letter of suspension. The big question is, which one of these people released those internal notes and documents to the media? There is NO WAY the school board, teacher's union, or the school attorney would have approved or recommended that those notes and video be released to the parents, or the media, at this EARLY point in the investigation.

Showing the video to the parents, ok-- but giving them a copy?? Were the notes provided to the parents, and THEY gave them to the media?? Who is responsible for this colossal breach of protocol?? Why is no one outraged about THAT?

If the notes and documents were not voluntarily provided to the parents or media, then they were obtained fraudently and leaked.

Either way, none of that-- the video or the school investigation notes, should be in the media at this point. Heads should be rolling for that situation, as well. The attorney for the school, and the school board members, cannot at all be thrilled with that situation. Somebody in addition to BW is going to lose their job over the colossal mishandling of this, IMHO.

http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wto...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I do believe the teacher acted with arrogance and my opinion is based on my own experience with a school principal protecting an abusive teacher. A school is public property. There is no secrecy involved with the security camera. The teacher obtained her own attorney rather quickly. That is an indication the Union told her there isn't much they can do to support her.
The Principal has no Union.

JMO

Likely because she had a class to attend. She couldn't just leave all the other kids to search for the one, who turned out to be in the other part of the school.

That's the problem with a "wanderer". There is no one who can immediately go and search - because the teacher in charge has a whole other class of kids to watch.

There is no problem with a wanderer. There is a problem with the monitoring and Adult supervision. IT is that simple. There is nothing here to be laid on a child. This is all the adults. That woman is a monster. She should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If she had walked up to a child and done that on the street she would be in jail and charged. We need to stop giving people grace because they have a title, Teacher, officer, parent.

This is assault. This child was abused. We see it with our own eyes and yet people are still trying to find issues with the child and back up this criminal behavior.

PAHHHLEEAAASEEE..

I can't understand how we are still discussing the child's behavior/issues/parenting. IMO it has the same importance as, say, what the weather was like that day. A small child's behavior has no bearing on a teacher's responsibility to NOT physically manhandle the child. It has no bearing on her responsibility to NOT purposefully terrorize him by threatening to tear him apart.

Who treats a small child this way?

An abuser.

The content of that video speaks only to her behavior. It says nothing about his. And really, there is nothing he could have done to make her actions ok.

His behavior doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.

MOO etc.

Thanks K_Z. I was being slightly facetious. Clearly this woman was enraged with the child and wanted to vent her rage on him. IMO. But I know you weren't trying to justify her behavior in any way. Just pointing out that the child may have some issues that contributed to the teacher snapping.

But you know, many of us have worked with kids and pretty much everyone who has, has dealt with emotional disturbed kids. Yet most do not react this way no matter what.

I had one child who was so disruptive. He would refuse to ever participate in any activity. He would just act out and prevent the other kids from being able to concentrate on what was happening. I would tell him that he could leave circle and quietly do another activity if he wasn't going to participate. But he would still make noise and bang things and prevent the rest of the class from being able to pay attention. So he got time out. And he'd then stand up holding his chair and slam it down over and over again, making a loud sound. So I then made him go do his time out in the utility room where I could see him but doors and windows would prevent the sound from being too disruptive to everyone else. (I had no aid in that class). But that didn't work either. He would literally tear it apart. I'd open the door and he'd just scream (like he was being murdered), "You never loved me!!! You never loved me!!" The anguish in his voice was incredible.

Luckily, the teacher next door witnessed this all the time (the utility room was in between the two classrooms and it had large windows in each door so we could see into each other's classrooms). Otherwise, I'm sure someone would've thought I was hurting him.

Oh yeah, he also liked to purposefully defecate in his pants when he got put on time out. He'd just stare right at you, sitting there, with a determined look, and push out a poo.

I was a brand new 19 year old preschool teacher and this kid, bless his heart, was overwhelming.

But not once did I resort to physical violence or snap or even think about it. After so many years teaching, this is not the first time this woman has had to deal with a disturbed child. Plus, she's no young kid. She knows better. And if she doesn't, either she's given vent to her rage many times before this. Or something is going in with her that has caused her to no longer be able to control herself.

I'm against corporal punishment but I must say that this is far different and more violent than a typical swat or two on the rear that many parents mete out to their kids. This is total rage and she risked injuring his head and spine.

BBM: I was thinking the exact same thing. This was violence, period and totally unacceptable. IMO, she has most likely been bullying and mistreating this child for a while. I've known teachers to pick a child out and to mistreat and bully this child the entire school year. The parents wanted to move him into another class, that is evidence to me that this child was not a "happy camper" in that classroom. This was an assault on this child, I don't care how long she has taught school. She doesn't need to teach anyone's child.

Thanks K_Z. I was being slightly facetious. Clearly this woman was enraged with the child and wanted to vent her rage on him. IMO. But I know you weren't trying to justify her behavior in any way. Just pointing out that the child may have some issues that contributed to the teacher snapping.

But you know, many of us have worked with kids and pretty much everyone who has, has dealt with emotional disturbed kids. Yet most do not react this way no matter what.

I had one child who was so disruptive. He would refuse to ever participate in any activity. He would just act out and prevent the other kids from being able to concentrate on what was happening. I would tell him that he could leave circle and quietly do another activity if he wasn't going to participate. But he would still make noise and bang things and prevent the rest of the class from being able to pay attention. So he got time out. And he'd then stand up holding his chair and slam it down over and over again, making a loud sound. So I then made him go do his time out in the utility room where I could see him but doors and windows would prevent the sound from being too disruptive to everyone else. (I had no aid in that class). But that didn't work either. He would literally tear it apart. I'd open the door and he'd just scream (like he was being murdered), "You never loved me!!! You never loved me!!" The anguish in his voice was incredible.

Luckily, the teacher next door witnessed this all the time (the utility room was in between the two classrooms and it had large windows in each door so we could see into each other's classrooms). Otherwise, I'm sure someone would've thought I was hurting him.

Oh yeah, he also liked to purposefully defecate in his pants when he got put on time out. He'd just stare right at you, sitting there, with a determined look, and push out a poo.

I was a brand new 19 year old preschool teacher and this kid, bless his heart, was overwhelming.

But not once did I resort to physical violence or snap or even think about it. After so many years teaching, this is not the first time this woman has had to deal with a disturbed child. Plus, she's no young kid. She knows better. And if she doesn't, either she's given vent to her rage many times before this. Or something is going in with her that has caused her to no longer be able to control herself.

I'm against corporal punishment but I must say that this is far different and more violent than a typical swat or two on the rear that many parents mete out to their kids. This is total rage and she risked injuring his head and spine.

BBM: I was thinking the exact same thing. This was violence, period and totally unacceptable. IMO, she has most likely been bullying and mistreating this child for a while. I've known teachers to pick a child out and to mistreat and bully this child the entire school year. The parents wanted to move him into another class, that is evidence to me that this child was not a "happy camper" in that classroom. This was an assault on this child, I don't care how long she has taught school. She doesn't need to teach anyone's child. If we were watching a video showing an adult man treating a woman like this, picking her up, slamming her against the wall, restraining her by grasping her arms and squeezing her face while screaming and threatening to rip her apart, we would all be carrying pitchforks and torches. This is worse, it's a defenseless six year old being abused by a rather large, enraged, mean woman! I say get out the pitchforks and torches and put her butt in prison.

Has Barbara Williams been arrested yet? Get that woman charged!!!

Are you just guessing? Or do you have any information to back up your thought that this teacher has had other episodes of abuse? Because try as I might, I couldn't find ANYTHING negative against her.

I didn't say she "did." I said "I think." My opinion.

I read the statement regarding the interview of the child. My opinion stems from that statement and purported statements of the child.

Salem

From reading those documents, I would say this was not the 1st time this teacher laid hands on this child. When interviewed, the child conveniently couldn't remember what happened. I don't believe that for a minute. He was afraid that she would find out he told and get him again - that's what I think.

This woman is despicable, in my opinion. And I'm ticked!

Salem

BBM

I know of a situation where a kid, since the age of three or 4, when asked 'what happened' (referring to handprint marks on his arms, a broken arm, swollen lip and other signs of assault) would without fail, always respond with "I don't remember" At 16 when he was scheduled to have visitation with his father he refused. He is now 21, has not had any contact with his father and has moved far, far away from father.

"I don't remember" Yep.

RBBM

It's my understanding Eric Hoffman gave all the materials to the parent. IMO, I believe that was the proper thing to do. Transparency is always a good thing in these matters. I understand there are protocols...having said that, I believe there is no set protocol every district must follow, pretty sure each district sets it's own.

Edit to add. School district released information. It's stated in first 30 secs of video.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/...ents-shed-light-on-riverdale-teacher-incident

Many children will not tell about abuse and there is a long list of reasons for why the "don't remember." It can make it very difficult to intervene and help the child. But, more often than not, the child will not talk until they feel safe. It's key for the child to feel safe.

http://www.underourrainbow.org/106/...nation-Gift-Why-Do-Some-Children-Not-Tell.htm

Just an article that talks a bit about why kids don't tell.

Salem

I don't know about anyone else, but the teacher (IMO) is clearing tying to minimize her actions in that document. Victim blaming, and minimizing her responsibility for her lack of self control. HE pushed her over the edge, meaning..."he made me do it."

This woman has to be fired.

Many children will not tell about abuse and there is a long list of reasons for why the "don't remember." It can make it very difficult to intervene and help the child. But, more often than not, the child will not talk until they feel safe. It's key for the child to feel safe.

http://www.underourrainbow.org/106/...nation-Gift-Why-Do-Some-Children-Not-Tell.htm

Salem

Thanks. One only has to look at the case of Omaree Varela to see how very true it is that children may not tell. When there is glaring evidence of it, society demands it not be ignored. This is a situation where there is glaring evidence.

From your link:
:For example, of the 220,000,000 Americans over 21 years old today, it is estimated that approximately 55,000,000 of THEM were abused when they were children and, quite likely, they never told anyone about their abuse. The older these survivors of abuse are today, the more likely it is that they never told anyone due to the lack of knowledge at the time of their abuse, general tendencies for our society to "mind our own business" during previous generations, etc.

Salem

Excellent article !!! Thank you so very much. A must read for everyone.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back