GUILTY OH - Barb Williams for child abuse, Hancock County, 2014

I'm going to toss this out here, because I think it might be illuminating.

Is there anyone in this conversation, on this board, who hasn't been subjected to worse treatment at the hands of a supervising adult than that? Is there anyone who hasn't been yanked up, and had their face yelled in, for poor behavior in school or other locations?

Is there anyone on this board, also, who hasn't witnessed a scene worse than that between a parent/grandparent/child in a disciplinary interaction? Where, at the time, people look away because this is something you do see sometimes?

(Again, I want to say that the popping of the neck could have been very injurious. Thank goodness it wasn't).

I don't understand the point in the first paragraph.
I've witnessed it, I was horrified, even as a child, I was PETRIFIED. So petrified I feared the possible repercussions from telling anyone until I was an adult. That's how deeply it effected me. It was a teacher.

I've witnessed it as an adult and promptly called 911. I didn't turn away. I was horrified. I stuck around too and signed a witness statement.

I wasn't raised that way, I will never condone or excuse that kind of behavior, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the point in the first paragraph.
I've witnessed it, I was horrified, even as a child, I was PETRIFIED. So petrified I feared the possible repercussions from telling anyone until I was an adult. That's how deeply it effected me. It was a teacher.

I've witnessed it as an adult and promptly called 911. I didn't turn away. I was horrified. I stuck around too and signed a witness statement.

I wasn't raised that way, I will never condone or excuse that kind of behavior, ever.

I suspect all of us have stories where we were treated that way and few of us are what you characterize as "devastatingly damaged psychologically".

I've seen parents yank up children and spank them in public for throwing rocks and hitting another child, running into the street into oncoming cars, seen teachers yank kids up and yell in their faces for defiant or dangerous behavior.

I've seen parents and coaches taken on small kids on a sports field who purposely injured an opposing player, and I've seen video of parents boarding a bus and taking on a small child who has been bullying their child and yank them around and say things like if you do that again you won't live to see another day.

I've never called 911 nor considered at that moment that anyone would be damaged by that behavior, nor would I guess anyone of them would say they were.

Is there anyone in this conversation, on this board, who hasn't been subjected to worse treatment at the hands of a supervising adult than that? Is there anyone who hasn't been yanked up, and had their face yelled in, for poor behavior in school or other locations?

Is there anyone on this board, also, who hasn't witnessed a scene worse than that between a parent/grandparent/child in a disciplinary interaction? Where, at the time, people look away because this is something you do see sometimes?

(Again, I want to say that the popping of the neck could have been very injurious. Thank goodness it wasn't).

I would guess by your responses you've been systematically desensitized to it.
Every time I see it, I'm horrified.
I can't even watch Americas Funniest Videos because I can not get used to or find anything at all funny watching other people get hurt or almost kill themselves. I gasped through the entire show.

Maybe there is something wrong with me??

And we wonder why children savagely bully one another....

I guess that's acceptable normal...until someone dies.

I would guess by your responses you've been systematically desensitized to it.
Every time I see it, I'm horrified.
I can't even watch Americas Funniest Videos because I can not get used to or find anything at all funny watching other people get hurt or almost kill themselves. I gasped through the entire show.

Maybe there is something wrong with me??

For what it's worth, I don't see a thing funny either about people being injured. I can't watch those clips either.

I just think that children aren't devastatingly psychologically damaged by a very strong adult reaction to their misbehavior. I think we'd be a nation of people who were unable to cope if incidents of adult loss of temper after misbehavior scarred us permanently.

(I always want to add the statement that it's a good thing that his neck wasn't severely injured in this incident.)

For what it's worth, I don't see a thing funny either about people being injured. I can't watch those clips either.

I just think that children aren't devastatingly psychologically damaged by a very strong adult reaction to their misbehavior. I think we'd be a nation of people who were unable to cope if incidents of adult loss of temper after misbehavior scarred us permanently.

(I always want to add the statement that it's a good thing that his neck wasn't severely injured in this incident.)

I just see it differently. I don't feel it's adult behavior at all.
A rational adult should be intelligent enough to bring other tools to the table besides death threats, physical intimidation, belittling and physical violence.

If this child was a discipline problem (and we don't know that - all we have are rumors posted under MSM) then it should have been dealt with prior to this "teacher's" acting out.

There was no excuse for what she did. Slamming him up against the wall, pulling him up by his face and screaming at him, telling him she was going to "rip him apart." Really? She's a grown woman, entrusted with the lives and education of many children on every school day. Her behavior was unacceptable, imo and there is no amount of deflection or trying to blame the victim that is going to excuse her lack of control.

Not only did she probably scare the daylights out of him, I feel certain that any other children watching her lose control like that would have, and probably will be, scared of her for a long time to come.

My opinion but I can find no excuse or explanation for her behavior.

Salem

... Not everything need involve the court system.

RSBM

How do you feel about Barb Williams possibly suing the district because she didn't get the proper 'help' with this student?

I still think chances are high that in June she'll offer a letter of resignation that doesn't mention this incident at all, and that will be that.

RSBM

For all we know, perhaps in a previous assignment, a similar occurrence happened and she was 'allowed' to resign?

I've spent some time noodling around on facebook going from page to page of people who "like" comments, and I've seen first-hand information. I know we're not allowed to post sleuthing of minors and people not named in public media so it's not appropriate to post those pages here, but I do think if they do end up firing BW the school district will face a lawsuit based on the fact that she didn't receive the help she was legally entitled to in that school.

Speaking in general terms and not specific to this child, children with serious histories of violence and disruption need another setting so the class year can go smoothly for all children in the room.

BBM

Do you think the student and his parents should have gotten the help they asked for back in November to have the student removed from her classroom?

And how do feel about the student's parents suing the district?

To an extent I think it does matter, but only in the sense that there's evidence of trouble back before November, and that trouble should have been taken more seriously. We don't know what the problems were. And I am in no way defending this teacher. She clearly shoved the kid up against a wall and then lifted him off of the ground by his shirt collar--not to mention the horrible things she said to him. What a monster.

BBM

And nevermind what she did and said out of camera's eye. Gah, monster is right. And who's to know how long she's been doing this???

Support? What sort of support should have been offered that would have changed this situation? This teacher was not responding to some immediate, overwhelmingly dangerous classroom situation with a knee-jerk loss of momentary control. She assaulted a small child who was alone and not presenting any danger to anyone. She threatened to TEAR HIM APART. Oh my god! What a sick, nasty thing to say to a small child.

Isn't it possible that she is just a mean old witch with a strong dislike of this particular little boy? Maybe she was having a bad day. Who knows? Sometimes people are just mean.

BBM

Clearly, Barb Williams had the inability to behave in a neutral manner.

She should have 'retired' long ago, IMO.

It appears that she asked for support (in the form of an aid, etc.) and wasn't given that and really had to do this by herself, even using her planning period to once again track down a child. It seems - from what I've read - that BW asked for support numerous times and didn't receive it.

Finally, as we know, in May an IEP was scheduled. As others have noted that's a very unusual time to schedule an IEP, and should have probably been done back in December when it was warranted.

I thought it was the parents of the student who asked their son be moved out of Barb William's classroom. I'm thinking Barb Williams felt insulted and was majorly pissed off...a parent would have the gall to ask for a reassignment for their kid out of her classroom. Afterall, she's only human, right? 'roll-eyes' How dare they???

I only was a teacher for a mere thirty years.

Thank goodness nothing happened in those years, but many of the last few were filled with anxiety as children came to school with more and more issues and less money for the schools.

Special services are incredibly expensive and school districts are pinched for funds. As a teacher, you can ask for help and not get it.

I have not met many saints in my life. What the teacher did was wrong, of course, but it is hypocritical of people saying they would never do something like that.

Maybe not that, but I see people doing things on the highways and people yelling at sales clerks and people yelling at coaches and their own kids at games. I see them allowing their kids to do all kinds of things in order to be popular. I see parents excluding kids from birthday parties. Those things hurt.

Do you think what Barb Williams did, many other teachers do? And very rarely get called out on it?

You are right that things have gotten worse. I think mainstreaming is part of the problem (although I understand the concept and agree with it in principle). With mainstreaming, things have gotten very hard for some teachers. My old boss, his wife (who I went to grade school with), worked first or second grade. She co-taught. They had a student who had autism, or something, and was totally out of control - just running all around the room, causing havoc, making it impossible to teach or learn. The parents refused to place him in a more specialized class.

Well, my bosses' wife had a breakdown. She simply stopped sleeping. She couldn't sleep for a week. She was hospitalized. They gave her every med imaginable. It took days to knock her out. It was all because of that one student (so she said).

But I note...she never hurt any child. And I refuse to state that I could ever do something like that. I'm no hypocrite. Not everyone is so mentally ill or unable to control themselves that they resort to child abuse.

It is possible to:
1. Walk away.
2. Call your boss and say you need help now or you are going to quit.
3. Run into another teacher's room and say you have an emergency.
4. Call the school counselor or security and say you have an emergency.
5. As an on-going solution, go to a psychologist who can diagnose you with depression or anxiety as a result of the student and demand that he be removed or you will go on disability...or sue.

Etc.

Not everyone is on the edge of child abuse or can be pushed there. If we agree that it is hypocritical to say we would never do something like that, how about not being able to say we would never shake a crying newborn, or hit an elderly person, or beat a toddler to death? "Snapping" is no excuse. Stress is no excuse. An insane, out of control child is no excuse. There is simply no excuse for child abuse.

If at 19 years of age, and being an impatient perso0n, I didn't come close to "snapping" and harming a student of mine, despite dealing with a couple of (in retrospect) seriously disturbed kids, how can I excuse a 30 year veteran?

I call b.s. on that.

BBM

First bold, absolutely. Barb Williams had so many options.

Second bold, I concur.

I think it's possible that she is a kindly, sweet, grandmotherly kindergarten teacher with a stellar reputation who developed a strong dislike of this particular little boy. And she very nearly got through the end of the year without acting on her feelings.

I don't understand - at all - why people after viewing that video are unable to process what seems to be the truth laid out in facts. That she had a very very long history of being a sweet kindergarten teacher who treated the students with love and kindness. So much so that one parent asked her children not to be placed in BW's class as she was too nurturing and not strict enough with rules.

Why are some opinions so black and white? It seems to me that prior to this, her interactions were sweet and loving, and then she snapped after a year of a very very challenging situation.

Why do you think THERE. THAT's her true nature! That, right there, that 15 seconds, THAT'S her nature!!

That's not her nature. The 14 years prior is her nature. This is a true anomaly, something opposite her true nature.

See the thing is, we don't know as fact " she is a kindly, sweet, grandmotherly kindergarten teacher with a stellar reputation". Nor do we know how she expressed her disdain toward this student out of camera eye. What we do know, as fact, is what we saw. Have you done a thorough search on Barb Williams work history? How do we know her work record is stellar? How do we know this is not her nature? [modsnip]

I'm still left wondering how she behaved when there were no cameras.

In her nature or not, it's 100% inexcusable.

A very challenging situation? The child walked out of the bathroom he wasn't kicking her in the shins repeatedly and spitting in her face everyday. He's annoying, I get it. So what? She has years of education and experience and was overwhelmed by a single 5 year old? I don't buy it.

He is 5 years old. I would have been thrilled he did not urinate on the floor of the classroom and seen it as a positive step in curbing that behavior...

BBM

First bold. Exactly.

Second bold. THIS.

WOW, just wow. So now it's fine for Barb Williams to assault a child because everyone on this board may have experienced the same thing from another?

[modsnip], then I guess when one is raped, don't bother reporting it because it happens all the time to others, and when someone carjacks your car, oh well, it has happened to others and you'll never get it back in the same condition so don't bother reporting it. Wow.

Can. Not. Wrap. My. Brain. Around. [modsnip].

What did his teacher, teach him THAT day???

I think it's possible that she is a kindly, sweet, grandmotherly kindergarten teacher with a stellar reputation who developed a strong dislike of this particular little boy. And she very nearly got through the end of the year without acting on her feelings.

I don't understand - at all - why people after viewing that video are unable to process what seems to be the truth laid out in facts. That she had a very very long history of being a sweet kindergarten teacher who treated the students with love and kindness. So much so that one parent asked her children not to be placed in BW's class as she was too nurturing and not strict enough with rules.

Why are some opinions so black and white? It seems to me that prior to this, her interactions were sweet and loving, and then she snapped after a year of a very very challenging situation.

Why do you think THERE. THAT's her true nature! That, right there, that 15 seconds, THAT'S her nature!!

That's not her nature. The 14 years prior is her nature. This is a true anomaly, something opposite her true nature.

I don't think anyone is wedded to the theory that she's done this before. I don't recall one post saying it's impossible that she's always been sweet. Most posters seem to believe that it doesn't matter.

And it doesn't. Not as to whether this is usual, whether this was abuse or whether she should be charged. You know we started out this thread with you stating that this is not a bad way to discipline and that children are treated like this regularly. (You also said, BTW, that when adults are angry they sometimes "need to hold a child in place"- Hmmm. Not a little scary). That's what most have been arguing against. No one appears, though, to be saying that this woman 100% had to have been a regular abuser.

However, this is only relevant as to what a possible sentence would be- has she offended previously and been convicted- and as to possible liability on the part of the school- if they were aware of previous incidents, their risk of liability for this one is high.

Because whether a routine abuser (who regularly "holds" children in place like this), or one who snapped, the crime was committed and there needs to be justice. There are plenty of criminals who have never committed a serious crime before. Most murderers, in fact.

So, it's possible she was a sweetheart who snapped. But will you consider the alternative like I just have? Watch the video again. See how calmly this woman walks down the hall? No arms in the air, no head movements indicating she's yelling. Nothing to indicate she's totally lost it, out of character.

Instead, she calmly walks up to this kid, steps on his foot, yanks his little body off his feet and tells him she's going to rip him to bits.

You know, I went to law school with a guy who underwent counseling with a highly regarded high school principal and priest, after his friend committed suicide. My classmate later won a 5.2 million dollar aettlemr against the diocese due to that highly regarded, veteran priest's actions.

Sometimes people are good until we find out they're not.
Are you willing to consider that possibility?

And now, ironically, mass is about to start. Bbl.

"What did his teacher, teach him THAT day???"

That's its ok, normal, the right thing to do...to be assaultive and to be assaulted. That its the norm.

This is what he learned from his TEACHER.

I'd like to weigh in on something that has been bothering me. I know a lot of posters here won't agree with me, and that's ok.

We all process things differently. It bothers me when someone tries to explain their thinking and opinions, and they are flamed or smacked down because they dare to examine or discuss anything beyond the victim's experience, and how to best draw and quarter the perpetrator. There is more to EVERY situation than sound bites and snippets of video.

I think it's important to look at EVERY situation we encounter, every case, and behaviors, in the context of what actually happened. That is what our legal system is based on. We strive to understand the context within which a situation, or a charged crime, happened. Sometimes we discover that there is the influence, for example, of drugs or alcohol, or a situation of abuse of power, or or a propensity to violence, or a propensity for predatory behavior, or psychiatric illness, or deep-seated "evil" psychopathic/ antisocial behavior, or frustration that leads to someone lashing out, or "snapping".

Not for a minute am I suggesting that any of these things mean that a situation or crime should be overlooked, or "forgiven" just because there is a certain context beyond random evil or random violence. We have plenty of cases where the context of a crime makes us very sympathetic to the perpetrator-- Marissa Alexander, for example. And many people would agree that for her crime (discharging a firearm at her abuser, which did not injure or hurt anyone) that the punishment did not fit the crime. (I'm not suggesting Marissa Alexander and BW's situations are comparable, btw.) We strive to understand the behavior of people like Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony, to try to understand how such terrible murders could happen. We carefully examine the details of medical child abuse cases to determine if there really was abuse, or if the parents were tragically misunderstood, seeking only to find the best care for their ill children.

What I find very frustrating is the "absolutism" of many literal thinkers to attack and pigeonhole posters who try to understand what has happened. If there are attempts for people to look at the entire context of a situation, many "literal" thinkers immediately jump to the conclusion that the "other" individuals involved are "off limits" to ANY discussion, criticism, any examination of the circumstances, or context. That's just not how our society, our legal system, and most reasonable people function. We strive to examine the situation and circumstances of an entire situation in order to understand "how" it happened, the motivation behind the perpetrator's behavior, whether there was abuse of position or power, and the severity of the outcome. That is exactly what happens in a trial, and within the dynamics of a jury.

Literal thinkers would imprison Jean Valjean (fictional character from Les Mis) with an excessively harsh sentence for stealing bread to feed his starving nieces and nephews. Was he wrong for stealing-- yes. Should the circumstances mitigate what he did? IMO, yes.

Everything has context. I agree with JeannaT that it is very odd that the people in this town who know both the family and the teacher, and the school administrators, and school culture-- are NOT marching with torches and pitchforks and loudly calling for BW's head on a platter. If anything, there is a puzzling silence and awkwardness, with just a few posters willing to venture the opinions that there is a very significant "back story" to what was going on. The ones with the most passion for vengeance and blood don't know the family, the teacher, the town, the school, etc. and want to imprison this woman for life for something that will probably not settle out higher than a misdemeanor. (As it would not for other, similar circumstances, IMO.)

Was BW clearly wrong for jacking up this child? YES! Absolutely. Was it a random act? No. Were there a lot of serious circumstances with behavior and classroom management that had been inadequately dealt with leading up to this? Almost certainly YES. Did BW have the responsibility to moderate her own emotional response and exercise self control? Absolutely, YES. Should she be fired? IMO, absolutely yes. None of this is mutually exclusive in my opinion. I don't have to scapegoat BW in order to make the parent's actions, and the school's action "right". They ALL share responsibility in creating the circumstances and the CONTEXT that lead up to BW committing assault, IMO.

There is, IMO, a whole heckuva lot of difference between a completely random act of assault, and someone who has been mired in frustration and snaps. Yes, BW will, and is, answering for what she did. She may face criminal charges. That is the correct outcome. But it doesn't mean that people who strive to understand what happened are "wrong" for not being literal thinkers, or "wrong" for dismissing context, or "namby pamby" people who want to let everyone off the hook.

There was likely very, very little the school could do "if" there was severe classroom management and behavior issues back in November. They can't remove a child to a special classroom or 1:1 teacher without a lot of evaluation and justification, which won't happen 90 days into a kindergarten year. They won't hire a classroom "minder" to supervise a child without a lot of documentation and justification. They can't suspend or expel a kindergarten child for behavior problems 90 days into a school year. Maybe they could have changed classrooms, but for whatever reason, the principal decided not to do that. I'm sure the reasons and parent encounters are well documented.

We only hear one side of the story-- what the parents have chosen to publicize. I personally believe the parents have handled this situation completely wrongly, and that they have greatly contributed to whatever ongoing difficulties the child will have processing what has happened. I also believe BW has traumatized him, and assaulted him. The two are not mutually exclusive in my opinion. I also definitely think the parents will sue the district no matter what the outcome is with BW. I actually don't think they will bother suing BW personally, but maybe they will. (I doubt she has many assets, and I read her husband is a minister.)

I don't think the school administrators, BW, OR the parents handled this situation very well. And that does contribute to how I perceive the entire situation. IMO, this is much, much more than just 15-20 seconds of video, and making sure BW's head ends up on a stick. I cannot be enough of a black and white, literal thinker, to dismiss everything else that played into this situation that resulted in a teacher snapping (IMO), and assaulting a kindergartner. All of it matters, IMO. And if the case is ever charged and makes it to a trial, the jury will hear all of it. That's what defense attorneys do, right? Provide context? Reasons for mitigation?

I'd like to point out one more thing. And I'm not defending BW.

This "case" has not been charged as a crime. There have been no charges filed, felony or misdemeanor. None. And yet, the discussion proceeds as if she is charged, and facing a trial at this point in time. She MAY YET be charged, but for weeks, has not been. It's rather hypocritical, IMO, to allow discussion to scapegoat this woman as if she has been charged with a crime, at this point in time. Do we treat other cases this way at WS, or only certain ones?

IMO, this case belongs in a different forum, perhaps "up to the minute."

I feel the same way, K_Z. I always see shades of gray in everything and am surprised at black and white thinking.

Additionally, I don't believe 6 year olds are innocent creatures with no ability to distinguish right from wrong. Again, shades of gray, and although babies are incapable of moral decisions, 6 year olds certainly are capable of knowing not to assault classmates.

I also agree that until there is a charge of a crime here, this discussion doesn't belong on this forum. As I understand it, the grand jury is going to make the decision whether charges are appropriate and then I guess the DA will decide whether to press those charges.

While I understand the references to black and white vs gray thinking, it is always upsetting to me when a victim is discussed in such a manner in which it seems an attempt to shift any part of the blame/responsibility away from the attacker and onto the victim. I think it bothers me around 1000% more if that victim is a small child and the attacker is a person who accepts responsibility for the child (parent, coach ..... teacher).

And just personally, it's not even really the physical assault that has me feeling the teacher is not some innocent, sweet little granny who had one bad reaction in one bad moment that just HAPPENED to be recorded. Which...wow, talk about awful luck and terrible odds. No, it's the words she used to threaten this little boy. Those words are not on the tip of any sweet little granny tongues that I ever knew. Those are hateful, vicious words "I will rip you apart" meant to terrorize and I bet they did the trick.

This is what I can't get past. A six year old. "I will rip you apart". I just don't see the gray area.

I think it's sad the you see it as a "strong adult reaction to their misbehavior." I see it as an abusive adult, in the position of authority. PERIOD. I see it as something that should never happen. PERIOD.

The fact is children could be permanently damaged. We should never allow it. Dismiss it. Blame children. Excuse it, because of a child being "difficult." Minimize it. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME it should be a crime. Every time. It should be treated as something that could permanently alter a child, every single time. Just because it doesn't always, doesn't mean it should be treated as something that can and does.

I am sorry that you seem to have been around this abusive behavior so much, that you are permissive to it. When a grown adult puts their hands on a child in an aggressive and abusive manner in school, there is no gray. PERIOD. Violence against children from a teacher, is black and white.

Seeing it, does not give anyone the right to look away. If I see, authorities are called. I never look away from abuse. Anyone who does is a coward and condones it by inaction.

I feel the same way, K_Z. I always see shades of gray in everything and am surprised at black and white thinking.

Additionally, I don't believe 6 year olds are innocent creatures with no ability to distinguish right from wrong. Again, shades of gray, and although babies are incapable of moral decisions, 6 year olds certainly are capable of knowing not to assault classmates.

I also agree that until there is a charge of a crime here, this discussion doesn't belong on this forum. As I understand it, the grand jury is going to make the decision whether charges are appropriate and then I guess the DA will decide whether to press those charges.

Charged or not, it was a criminal act.

Let's say it was a hulking six foot four man.....let's say he's the boss. You're a petite young woman weighting in at 100 pounds soaking wet.... You come into work 5 minutes late and you're snatched up, slammed against the wall and threatened like this 5 year old child was.
You going to simply suck it up and get over it?
I highly doubt it.

A six year old is capable of understanding he shouldn't assault his other classmates...but you're making excuses for his TEACHER?

Charged or not, it was a criminal act.

Let's say it was a hulking six foot four man.....let's say he's the boss. You're a petite young woman weighting in at 100 pounds soaking wet.... You come into work 5 minutes late and you're snatched up, slammed against the wall and threatened like this 5 year old child was.
You going to simply suck it up and get over it?
I highly doubt it.

Well, he better also not send me to go sit at my desk and don't get up again until I tell you to. Or call my mother to tell her I'm not working up to my ability. Or tell me to go spit out my gum and if he catches me with gum again I'll have to come in on Saturday morning and sit through detention. Or tell me who I have to sit next to at lunch or on the bus. Or if I see that yoyo again during work time it's going in the trash.

We could go on and on all day like this. The rules for adult/child interactions aren't the same as adult/adult interactions.

And for parents, the discrepancy is even much broader and assaults are allowed to occur that specifically do NOT fall under "domestic violence" in Ohio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back