OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex said:
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9354605/detail.html

Another student not from OSU but from Columbus State Community College was last seen on Tuesday night as he left his family's north Columbus home....missing...coincidence or someone preying on male college students.
Wow! I grew up with three older sisters and we were always told to never go alone anywhere! I honestly never gave it much thought for men going places alone but it seems I am completely naive!! So many missing young men! So strange!!

LinetteH said:
Wow! I grew up with three older sisters and we were always told to never go alone anywhere! I honestly never gave it much thought for men going places alone but it seems I am completely naive!! So many missing young men! So strange!!
Maybe men are becoming the perfect targetfor some crimes. They think they don't have to worry, so they are off guard. In crimes like muggings, men are more likely to have cash on them, often in their pockets rather than a wallet or purse. It's easier to spend cash than to use someone's debit or credit cards. Cash can't be traced. Everyone everywhere needs to be on guard. I hate the thought of that.

Dex said:
I found this link tonight blog searching to the point that my right hands pinky and ring finger fell asleep....

http://osusentinelcrimewatch.blogspot.com/2006/04/osu-med-student-missing.html

Read some of the reports on the right, they are all OSU based...AMAZING crime there...
Im starting to think the worst :(
I am inclined to believe the same.. there seem to be a large number or armed robberies, assaults etc.. many of these seem to be outside bars. One was the Ugly Tuna.. .one involved a stun gun , another the vitim was given a date rape drug or similar substance.. woke up in his car with no memory and having been robbed.
Makes me think that maybe Brian was a victim of a robbery gone bad... gosh I so hope that is not the case.

I found an odd blog last night that listed in detail times of students going to the movies?? Made me start to wonder when I read

7:22PM so and so and so an so laugh nervously about a joke about the missing OSU student....

I wonder if I can find it again..

dulcinea said:
I wouldn't take a lie detector test. There is a reason they are not allowed in court. Many times they have been shown to be inaccurate. I would be so afraid the test would say I was being untruthful. If a test shows even a slight possibility of deception, people's lives are turned upside down. There are numerous cases where the test were "wrong" and people had their lives detroyed because the tests indicated they might be hiding something when in fact they were totally innocent.
That has personally happened to me. I was blaimed for doing something I did not do. Volunteered to take the lie detector test since I knew I was innocent. Then I failed the test. Talk about looking guilty!!! It was very embarressing to tell people I failed even though I know I was telling the truth.

This case really bothers me. What a good looking, smart young man. Seemed to have everything going for him but his mother passed away 4 weeks earlier. The pressure of medical school and his mother's death could've gotten to him, and he left to be on his own for a while, but this doesn't seem to be likely. :(

I read one of the old stories and saw that the friend Brian was with on the night he was last seen said

"I am afraid that Brian might have left the bar and ran his mouth a little bit. He has been known to do that," Florence said.

Now why would a friend say something like that? Was Brian a confrontational guy when he drank? He liked music, did he go off with the band?
Did his friend have something to do with his disappearance?
Did Brian leave on his own? Was the siting of Brian 4 days after his disappearance really him?

So many questions.
I feel very sad for his father and his girlfriend.

Here's the link to the story where I found that quote: http://www.nbc4i.com/news/8592335/detail.html

Although there no article I could find on the NBC4i.com website now, I'm pretty sure that at one time they had an updated and were quite certain the siting was not Brian.

Ok, so when I first heard about the break-in to his apt (along with 2 others) I thought 1, coincidense or 2, someone just took advantage of the fact there would be no one there from a news story. Now, however, after watching the video Im thinking something more. If you notice, the guy looks like he was watching everyone that went past him, like he was looking for someone. Also, why would you go to the same bar over and over if your not going to drink? I find it very strange that no one remembers seeing him. Im not big on conspiricy theroys so I dont think that it is one, but maybe he wanted to make sure he just blended in the crowd? I would be interested to know if he had a drink in his hand at the bar and if he was in fact drinking, but just wasnt overly intoxicated. Maybe he was looking for a girlfriend or friend that he was picking up, I dont know. But this just looks very suspicious. What are the thoughts you guys are getting off of this case as a whole? This case bothers me for many reasons, but the main thing is the girlfriends myspace. its so touching, you can tell she really loved him :(

I am normally not as interested in recent disappearances as I am really cold cases but this one interests me very much. I live about an hour and 20 minutes away from Columbus and in fact used to live there. The bars on campus and the Short North are somewhat apart but it is nothing to go to several bars on any given night between the 2 areas, and even revisit bars you have already been to, just to see who is there and what's going on. It says in one of the news articles from Channel 4 that Brian WAS drinking in the Short North Tavern. It sounds like he had a lot on his mind with the recent death of his mother. He may have been thinking about it and having a few drinks may have fueled his mind to the point where he just wanted to get away from everyone and be on his own to think for a while. Then it sounds like something must have happened to him. Even though it says in one of the articles that he would sometimes "walk away" to be on his own or whatever, I don't think he would have stayed gone this long. I just happened to see the bit on MSNBC about the new person of interest on the videotape and thought I would check to see if there was anything about Brian Shaffer on Websleuths. I feel very bad for his family, especially his dad and his girlfriend too.

Just a day after Channel 4 released the videotape of the POI he evidently came forward. I haven't read anything new since then. The police are saying nothing about whether he was the actual witness they were looking for or what, if anything, he could say about Brian Shaffer's disappearance. It says in the article that the man was "claiming" to be the same guy in the footage and detectives were working to verify his identity. I would think they would have verified it by now. It's strange they haven't released any more information since the guy came forward, even to say that maybe he wasn't the guy in the video footage.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9726086/detail.html

Valiant said:
So I would guess that his dad is still paying the cell phone bill to keep it active. I am not from the area but I am assuming that the Hillard tower that they are talking about is right in that area. If the phone had been off for a while and is now on, it would sound to me like it got tossed and someone found it and picked it up. Any cell phone company I've ever used (and trust me, it's been almost all of them in my area) you can get complete call records online. If Brian's dad doesn't have his account access information, certainly the police would be looking into calls made from the phone, don't you think? I can't see this meaning that Brian is using this phone that close to home without contacting friends or family. To me this seems to be a more sinister development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82