GUILTY OH - Marion Co., WhtFem Skeletal 672UFOH, 18-22, along rural road, Mar'07- Dana Nicole Lowrey

NAMUS just updated today with another exclusion :
Emillie Hoyt 1982 Florida
Another name I haven't seen mentioned on this thread. Still no updates on Lisa/Darla Douglas or Dana Zelic (Canadian).
I hope that People article reaches a large audience - would be nice if they had included some of the updated sketches in the online version to help generate tips.

I don't think it could be Erica. She would only be 14 in 2005. Shawn Grate said she was 26. Although he could have lied, it would be hard to mistake a 14 year old for a 26 year old.

Range of age for Namus is 15-22

Erica Baker Age progression

67c77d45-8d7c-4937-91d6-f8ce61593995.jpg

I didn't see this MP on the exclusion list and thought she should have a look by all you who have "the eye" for identifying.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/arensdorf_crystal.html

I admit I have been mostly focused on the names similar to Dana/Diane/Diana based off of Grate's confession. However, we don't really know how accurate that is. There is some resemblance and she isn't so far geographically, also her age would coincide with Grate saying she was mid-20s. The drawbacks (IMO) are that she was missing for quite some time before this UID was discovered (2007) and best guess would be she was murdered 05-06. Shawn also claims that he had met this woman in town and then ran into her again weeks later and killed her. If that is true, our UID was most likely someone who was voluntarily missing whereas Crystal's family has been searching for her from the getgo.

I personally lean on the side of making the suggestion just in case. It is easy through the doe network to submit a potential match. If there are dental records, they usually can eliminate someone very quickly.

I notice that Deanna Merryfield is not on the rule-out list. Normally I wouldn't really consider her since her date missing is 1990. However, in reading her Charley profile, she was possibly contacted as late as 2002... (and one possible location was Kentucky). In 2003 she would have been 26. Even as late as 2007 she would have been "pre-30" (barely) as the UID is listed in NAMUS.

Perhaps she is not listed, but is a rule-out because her DNA is in the system? I've been lurking for a lot of years, but I will admit I'm still confused on the DNA rule-out process. Is presence of DNA in NAMUS an automatic rule out? What if there is only one type of DNA available (mit or nuc) in either the UID or the missing person? (Thanks in advance to anyone for answers on that. I asked once before in a different thread and I kinda got snipped at, so I didn't ask any more questions over there. But that's why I mostly lurk)

Anyway, here's Deanna's info. She also has a lengthy thread here on WS too... Even if she's not this Jane Doe, I really hope we can find Deanna some day...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/merryfield_deanna.html

I hope someone answers your question (I'm sure someone will!) because I have been wondering the same. Hoping someone can explain it real simply so I get it as well!

NAMUS updated to 61 rule outs, but I see Diane Mazanegos listed another time, so no new name this time.

I think Deanna Merryfield should be submitted to the Doe project as a possible match. I don't believe that all the DNA in the system is auto-compared (I am by no means an expert, so please take my answer with a grain of salt). I think when a match is suggested, they first attempt to rule it out with dental records. If not possible, then a DNA comparison is done. Some potential matches I have submit are ruled out in a week, but I have two names (Darla Douglas and Dana Zelic) that still have not been ruled out and it has been about 2 months now.

Also, if there is no DNA or dental on file, you will be notified that the potential match cannot be evaluated. I got this reply when submitting a suggestion for the Colorado UID.

I notice that Deanna Merryfield is not on the rule-out list. Normally I wouldn't really consider her since her date missing is 1990. However, in reading her Charley profile, she was possibly contacted as late as 2002... (and one possible location was Kentucky). In 2003 she would have been 26. Even as late as 2007 she would have been "pre-30" (barely) as the UID is listed in NAMUS.

Perhaps she is not listed, but is a rule-out because her DNA is in the system? I've been lurking for a lot of years, but I will admit I'm still confused on the DNA rule-out process. Is presence of DNA in NAMUS an automatic rule out? What if there is only one type of DNA available (mit or nuc) in either the UID or the missing person? (Thanks in advance to anyone for answers on that. I asked once before in a different thread and I kinda got snipped at, so I didn't ask any more questions over there. But that's why I mostly lurk)

Anyway, here's Deanna's info. She also has a lengthy thread here on WS too... Even if she's not this Jane Doe, I really hope we can find Deanna some day...http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/merryfield_deanna.html

Here is the answer I received from NamUs about that when I submitted Mary Day for a match for Walker County Jane Doe where both showed DNA available in NamUs. (RBBM by me for clarity).

So we don’t enter in exclusions based on DNA anymore unless they are manually compared at the lab, which cannot be done for every case – only the ones with partial DNA profiles do they manually compare. It would just be way too overwhelming for them.
But, I am looking at both records and we have sufficient DNA for both cases where there would have been an association in CODIS if the genetic data was in fact the same, so we can discount this one.

Hope this clarifies a little.

Thanks for being willing to submit some matches!

A few thoughts:

Kathrin Fetzer would have been 40 years old in 2005 when Shawn Grate murdered this UID. Grate says she was 26 according to her ID and the NaMus estimate is 18-22. Sorry, but I think Kathrin would not be mistaken for a 26 year old in 2005.

Similarly, Heather would have been 33 in 2005. If she was a young looking 33, maybe she could pass for 26. But the circumstances of her disappearance seem to be that she was abducted by another man in 1995, so it would be hard to explain how Grate came across her a decade later to kidnap again and kill her in 2005. JMO.

Thanks for being willing to submit some matches!

A few thoughts:

Kathrin Fetzer would have been 40 years old in 2005 when Shawn Grate murdered this UID. Grate says she was 26 according to her ID and the NaMus estimate is 18-22. Sorry, but I think Kathrin would not be mistaken for a 26 year old in 2005.

Similarly, Heather would have been 33 in 2005. If she was a young looking 33, maybe she could pass for 26. But the circumstances of her disappearance seem to be that she was abducted by another man in 1995, so it would be hard to explain how Grate came across her a decade later to kidnap again and kill her in 2005. JMO.

It's Chris Below in my cross hairs!

Another article about the new reconstruction:
MARION — A new facial reconstruction was released Wednesday of a woman whose skeletal remains were found in Marion County in 2007, in a case believed to be linked to serial killings suspect Shawn Grate.

The Ohio Attorney General's Office and Marion County Sheriff's Office released a clay model created by a forensic artist with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation to help identify the woman, whose remains were found about 100 feet east of Victory Road on March 10, 2007.
Marion County Sheriff Tim Bailey previously said Grate had confessed to killing the woman and provided details that matched those of the case.
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...struct-suspected-grate-victims-face/96458224/

I am posting this one with the approach of perhaps you can't believe anything Grate says. I just found this interesting because this VA girl's vehicle was found a short distance and a short time from where and when she disappeared in VA with stolen OHIO plates on it. Perhaps her plates ended up on a car headed back to Ohio? The year is right. Age about right.

http://admin4laney.proboards.com/thread/76/taylor-behl-missing-vcu-student

I am posting this one with the approach of perhaps you can't believe anything Grate says. I just found this interesting because this VA girl's vehicle was found a short distance and a short time from where and when she disappeared in VA with stolen OHIO plates on it. Perhaps her plates ended up on a car headed back to Ohio? The year is right. Age about right.

http://admin4laney.proboards.com/thread/76/taylor-behl-missing-vcu-student

Taylor Behl's body was found a month after she disappeared and her murderer plead guilty: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/09/AR2006080901486.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back