OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
It came up in Angela's pretrial that her attorneys had to provide the prosecution with enough storage devices for the prosecution to be able to download 4 terabytes of discovery evidence:

WAGNER, ANGELA JO

07/09/2019 JOURNAL ENTRY -- This cause came on for a pre-trial hearing on July 3, 2019.

"...Upon agreement of the parties, it is hereby ORDERED that on or before July 15, 2019, the Defendant, through her attorneys, shall furnish the office of Special Prosecuting Attorney Angela Canepa with sufficient storage devices in order to permit storage, for the purpose of delivery to the Defendant, of all remaining discovery in this action, which, as indicated by the Special Prosecuting Attorney, constitutes approximately (4) terabytes of material.

It is further ORDERED that, if the Defendant provides the Special Prosecuting Attorney's Office, on or before July 15, 2019, with sufficient storage devices to permit the storage of four (4) terabytes of material, then the State of Ohio shall download all remaining discoverable material to such storage devices and shall furnish all remaining discovery to the Defendant on or before July 22, 2019..."

https://pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/search.page.3

Why isn't the defense supplying the storage device(s)?

BBM

Rita Newcomb's trial is scheduled for 4 days starting October 21st. Of the Wagner 4, GW 4 will go first, he actually had a trial date set for September 4th but then it was continued (put off) and will likely be rescheduled probably in September or October. But yes, Rita Newcomb will be first.

‘Great deal of’ evidence pushes back trial date for oldest Wagner brother

"...When George Wagner IV was in court last month, Judge Deering set a Sept. 4 trial date. On Tuesday, the date was moved back to an undetermined date.

The special state prosecutor gave the defense team two terabytes of information.

“And that’s a great deal of material for the defense attorneys to look at, I’m sure," said Deering.

The prosecutor, who calls this one of the most complex criminal cases in state history, says there are more than 2 million items on the disc..:eek:..The evidence includes documents, recordings, videos, pictures, cell phone records and forensic reports... "

More than 2 million?! That's mind boggling!

The family did something very odd when the authorities were closing in on them and that was to suddenly move to Alaska. Investigators found several conversations that the family has had that relate to vehicles, firearms, and ammunition. The Investigators found several Conversations that the Wagners has had that relate to vehicles, firearms & ammunition.
This is a lot of proof! JMO
I totally AGREE.

Yes, but there are only 24 hrs in each day. Preparing for trial, handling big motions, managing exhibits and witnesses, etc. being on your feet in court all day for 4 capital murder cases is impossible for just one person. They'll need a team with at least 2 other trial attorneys, if not more. By trial attorneys, I mean attorneys who are experienced in the courtroom who can question witnesses, handle objections, deal with the judge, etc. That's a LOT of work.
YES. You put into words much better what I was trying to say. Thank you.
I surely hope the Ohio AG realizes what seems to be obvious to us.

Last edited:
BBM + 2 cents

This latest GW4 discovery---
Documents, recordings, videos, pictures, cell phone records and forensic reports---
equates to the same type of discovery that we have already seen , as you say, "nicely listed in outlines". Here is an example of some of the discovery evidence listed for Angela and Jake:

Video and audio interviews, hundreds of photos and a 3D scan from each scene, diagrams showing ballistic, biological and other evidence; more than 100 aerial photos; autopsy reports and X-rays of all eight victims; photos of a child in hospital, photos from property searches including a photo of a burnt VCR and items found in a well;

cell tower records; a "Boondock Saints" video clip; custody messages; screenshots; photos from other searches performed by investigators; a photo of George Wagner's tattoo; a gun list; Walmart receipts, mortgage loan, cyber/phone reports, forensic reports and photos, DNA, search warrants. Much more...

There isn't any reason MSM and regular folks can't request these new supplemental discovery documents the same as was done with the previous discovery documents.

I totally AGREE and love your list of Evidence.
I hope we do get the latest dump of Discovery soon. I'm sure we all want to see what else has been filed.

And I have a dumb question. What does BBM stand for CC?

Last edited:
I am getting so impatient! It's been so long since this horrible crime. Even the arrests seem like they happened long ago. I think I just got too frustrated with the many pretrials that amounted to nothing more than waiting endlessly for the judge to ask if they were happy with life so far and then schedule another pretrial.

Still reading everyday and waiting. Just getting grumpy about it. Gotta get my spawn to school and flit about spreading unhappiness to my students this morning. Thanks for letting me vent. As you were.

Wells like the WAG's produce a finite quantity of water per minute. Exceed that number and you will soon drop the water level. This is likely a well of no more than 6 inches diameter. This type of well does not have a cavity at the bottom. The well pipe sits on the bottom and so does the pump. The evidence was likely resting on the top of the pump. In fact, there has to be a way of removing the pump from the well, so evidence extraction may have consisted of pulling the pump up the casing.

My opinion.

Do we know what type well it was ? Was it an older abandoned well, or was it an actual well that they were using to supply water to their home ?

I am getting so impatient! It's been so long since this horrible crime. Even the arrests seem like they happened long ago. I think I just got too frustrated with the many pretrials that amounted to nothing more than waiting endlessly for the judge to ask if they were happy with life so far and then schedule another pretrial.

Still reading everyday and waiting. Just getting grumpy about it. Gotta get my spawn to school and flit about spreading unhappiness to my students this morning. Thanks for letting me vent. As you were.
Hey KY do you know where Louisa is?

KM... I hadn't really thought about it but your post made me realize it has almost been a year since the W4 arrest! We have learned a lot and there is still a lot more we don't know yet. I too am getting impatient and want all the answers and know that it could still be another year before any of the W4 go to court. I am anxious to see what we learn at RN's trial I know it is a defense attorneys strategy to delay prosecution as long as possible hoping public opinion and outrage fades, witnesses may die of natural causes, etc., but I having followed this case from day one I want to know more.

I totally AGREE and love your list of Evidence.
I hope we do get the latest dump of Discovery soon. I'm sure we all want to see what else has been filed.

And I have a dumb question. What does BBM stand for CC?
Ha! No question is dumb Rutledge...
I asked the same thing.

BBM means Bolden By Me. Say someone posts and there is something specific in their post that you want to comment on. You go to their post and you highlight the sentence---same as you do when you highlight something to cut and paste--- then see the icons above and you will see a capital B on far left. Click the B and it will highlight/bolden the sentence....:D

Ha! No question is dumb Rutledge...
I asked the same thing.

BBM means Bolden By Me. Say someone posts and there is something specific in their post that you want to comment on. You go to their post and you highlight the sentence---same as you do when you highlight something to cut and paste--- then see the icons above and you will see a capital B on far left. Click the B and it will highlight/bolden the sentence....:D
I still have a lot to learn.

I still have a lot to learn.

I had no clue what I was doing when I first was on here, I had seldom linked articles but now it seems strange to not reference an article.
Betty has a great timeline established, you can go to Media Timeline no Discussion Websleuths:
Media & Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Pike Co, OH 8 Family Members Murdered

and refresh your knowledge of this complicated case. Often I'm looking for information and realize later that the information was already in the timeline. I've added documents to the timeline, feel free to add something.

Why isn't the defense supplying the storage device(s)?
For the last of Angela Wagner's evidence the defense is suppose to provide the prosecution with storage devices and I wonder why? Doesn't the prosecution have their own?

I'm stumped GB! I looked into it and can't find a thing. The only thing I can think of is that early on, behind closed doors, the defense offered to supply the prosecution with storage devices?

Looking around I saw something interesting

Evidence in criminal prosecutions can generally fall into two main categories:
  1. Inculpatory evidence: Evidence tending to incriminate a defendant or indicate their guilt; and
  2. Exculpatory evidence: Evidence tending to exonerate a defendant or helps establish their innocence.
In many countries, including the United States, police and prosecutors are required to disclose to the defendant exculpatory evidence they possess before the defendant enters a plea (guilty or not guilty).[2]

Example 1: The prosecution has a CCTV footage from the crime scene, that shows someone else committing the crime. This is a material evidence that shows that the accused is not guilty. The CCTV footage is an exculpatory evidence in this case.

Example 2: In a murder case, a man was arrested from the crime scene along with a blood-stained knife. According to the suspect, he was trying to help the victim, by taking out the knife. During investigation, an eye witness identifies another man as the murderer. The testimony of this witness is exculpatory evidence, that must be disclosed to the accused, so that he can prove his innocence.

What Is 'Exculpatory' Evidence? - FindLaw

Exculpatory evidence - Wikipedia

Exculpatory Evidence: Meaning and Examples

Last edited:
I had no clue what I was doing when I first was on here, I had seldom linked articles but now it seems strange to not reference an article.
Betty has a great timeline established, you can go to Media Timeline no Discussion Websleuths:
Media & Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Pike Co, OH 8 Family Members Murdered

and refresh your knowledge of this complicated case. Often I'm looking for information and realize later that the information was already in the timeline. I've added documents to the timeline, feel free to add something.

Thank you!! I have been following this tragedy since it happened. I learned that day after being shocked by the initial reports that I had a connection to the family.

My favorite journalist and writer has been Chris Graves. I was sorry to see her go. I know she still cares and is invested in this "story".

All inputs here at Web Sleuths on the Rhoden case are appreciated and awesome.

I have reviewed most of the information, especially Betty's and yours.

I'm very nervous navigating through this forum, just because it's so new to me. I feel blessed to have found you all. I certainly want to be here and I don't want to step on any toes or rules of conduct.

Without any specific reference I've become wary of other ways of following this case.

I have no Internet so I just use my cell phone. Makes things a little harder.

Thank you for your help and support.

Thank you!! I have been following this tragedy since it happened. I learned that day after being shocked by the initial reports that I had a connection to the family.

My favorite journalist and writer has been Chris Graves. I was sorry to see her go. I know she still cares and is invested in this "story".

All inputs here at Web Sleuths on the Rhoden case are appreciated and awesome.

I have reviewed most of the information, especially Betty's and yours.

I'm very nervous navigating through this forum, just because it's so new to me. I feel blessed to have found you all. I certainly want to be here and I don't want to step on any toes or rules of conduct.

Without any specific reference I've become wary of other ways of following this case.

I have no Internet so I just use my cell phone. Makes things a little harder.

Thank you for your help and support.
BBM

Glad your here, everybody who wants Justice for the 8 and their loved ones is welcomed. I know what you mean about being "wary." One reason I like it here is because the rule to not trash the victims and their families is enforced, unlike at other "nefarious" places around the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searching4Answers2