OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a small part I wanted to see. Hmmm, interesting. :confused: Have a good 4th of July, be safe and remember .... don't drink and drive!!

What is interesting about it? We've already discussed the reason why AG Yost's office decided to drop out from managing the prosecution of the Wagners for the Rhoden murders. New team, new AG and to quote them "too many cooks spoil the broth". The new AG came from the state auditor's office, is a known budget hawk and its assumed he didn't want the cost of managing the Wagner trials on his office budget. Pike County has been the recipient of most of the state funds allocated so far towards paying for the cost of 4 capital murder trials. Yost's super special deputy chief colonel prosecutor said the change has nothing to do with the state's case and that it's a strong case with a lot of evidence. DeWine is still keeping an eye on the trials and has loaned an attorney from his staff to help with prosecution. AC switched to the Pike County prosecutor's office so the state grant funding for the trials could cover her salary, leaving AG Yost free to cut pay and staff in the AG's office.

Any questions? :)

What is interesting about it? We've already discussed the reason why AG Yost's office decided to drop out from managing the prosecution of the Wagners for the Rhoden murders. New team, new AG and to quote them "too many cooks spoil the broth". The new AG came from the state auditor's office, is a known budget hawk and its assumed he didn't want the cost of managing the Wagner trials on his office budget. Pike County has been the recipient of most of the state funds allocated so far towards paying for the cost of 4 capital murder trials. Yost's super special deputy chief colonel prosecutor said the change has nothing to do with the state's case and that it's a strong case with a lot of evidence. DeWine is still keeping an eye on the trials and has loaned an attorney from his staff to help with prosecution. AC switched to the Pike County prosecutor's office so the state grant funding for the trials could cover her salary, leaving AG Yost free to cut pay and staff in the AG's office.

Any questions? :)

I'm so happy about the changes!

<modsnip>
Why the Rhoden family had so many cars

"Dana Rhoden had recently reconciled with her ex-husband, who bought the property where she was living with daughter and son Hanna and Chris Jr. for $60,000 on March 21, 2016 according to Scioto County property records. She posted photos of her living room on Facebook the next day."

Only my opinion
from what I have seen posted. A researcher from Scioto County posted Scioto County Records showing the foreclosures Chris bought and the land Chris bought, and the land he bought from his siblings and inherited from Clarence. 75 acres. Altogether it added up to be valuable and Chris used some of his land as collateral to take out a $30,000 loan from Adams County Bank. Trying to remember, I think it might have been a Land Bank, Land Banks specialize in these types of loans.
He also put $30,000 cash down.

Where did he get his cash down? Earned it. He had money in the bank and worked many jobs and made thousands of dollars of profit on the cars he fixed up.

"...his father-in-law Leonard Manley and a family friend say
"He also hauled gravel for various companies around rural south-central Ohio, built decks, fixed roofs and did excavation work for Big Bear Lake Family Resort in Lucasville."

"Let me ask you: If you take a car you bought for $1,200 and put in a few hundred dollars and it ends up being worth $8,000, wouldn't you do it?" Manley asked.. "

This works out to a profit margin of $6,000 per car. He only had to sell 5 cars with this profit margin to get to $30,000.

Everything is just my opinion...My take on it...

Last edited by a moderator:

"Dana Rhoden had recently reconciled with her ex-husband, who bought the property where she was living with daughter and son Hanna and Chris Jr. for $60,000 on March 21, 2016 according to Scioto County property records. She posted photos of her living room on Facebook the next day."

Only my opinion
from what I have seen posted. A researcher from Scioto County posted Scioto County Records showing the foreclosures Chris bought and the land Chris bought, and the land he bought from his siblings and inherited from Clarence. 75 acres. Altogether it added up to be valuable and Chris used some of his land as collateral to take out a $30,000 loan from Adams County Land Bank and he also put $30,000 cash down. Land Banks specialize in these types of loans.

Where did he get his cash down? Earned it. He had money in the bank and worked many jobs and made thousands of dollars of profit on the cars he fixed up.

"Let me ask you: If you take a car you bought for $1,200 and put in a few hundred dollars and it ends up being worth $8,000, wouldn't you do it?" Manley asked.. "

This works out to a profit margin of $6,000 per car. He only had to sell 5 cars with this profit margin to get to $30,000. Plus again, he worked various jobs including excavating, hauling with his dump truck, and construction projects at BBL.

All good points. In all the years these murders have been investigated, nothing has ever come up to indicate CR1 stole money or property from anyone.

Only my opinion
from what I have seen posted. A researcher from Scioto County posted Scioto County Records showing the foreclosures Chris bought and the land Chris bought, and the land he bought from his siblings and inherited from Clarence. 75 acres. Altogether it added up to be valuable and Chris used some of his land as collateral to take out a $30,000 loan from Adams County Land Bank and he also put $30,000 cash down. Land Banks specialize in these types of loans.

This works out to a profit margin of $6,000 per car. He only had to sell 5 cars with this profit margin to get to $30,000. Plus again, he worked various jobs including excavating, hauling with his dump truck, and construction projects at BBL.

Amen!!

Only my opinion

"...his father-in-law Leonard Manley and a family friend say
"He also hauled gravel for various companies around rural south-central Ohio, built decks, fixed roofs and did excavation work for Big Bear Lake Family Resort in Lucasville."

This works out to a profit margin of $6,000 per car. He only had to sell 5 cars with this profit margin to get to $30,000.

Great analysis, CC!

The members of the Rhoden family and dear Hannah Gilley aren't on trial. They're deceased, laying in their graves up on a hill not far from their homes.

The people going to trial later this summer or fall are their killers - Jake Wagner, his father Billy Wagner, his brother George Wagner IV and his mother Angela Wagner.

The case against them is so strong that it includes thousands of pages of evidence, including DNA, ballistics, security video and thousands of hours of recorded phone conversations, texts and emails. It's so strong that their own grandmother stopped trying to fight the courts and agreed to a plea deal to tell all she knows about how her family murdered the Rhodens.

Like the coverage of the brutal massacre of the Rhoden family, the trials will attract news coverage around the world. There's nowhere for anyone to hide who might want to derail these trials or help these killers go free.

Last edited:
The members of the Rhoden family and dear Hannah Gilley aren't on trial. They're deceased, laying in their graves up on a hill not far from their homes.

The people going to trial later this summer or fall are their killers - Jake Wagner, his father Billy Wagner, his brother George Wagner IV and his mother Angela Wagner.

The case against them is so strong that it includes thousands of pages of evidence, including DNA, ballistics, security video and thousands of hours of recorded phone conversations, texts and emails. It's so strong that their own grandmother stopped trying to fight the courts and agreed to a plea deal to tell all she knows about how her family murdered the Rhodens.

Like the coverage of the brutal massacre of the Rhoden family, the trials will attract news coverage around the world. There's nowhere for anyone to hide who might want to derail these trials or help these killers go free.

So so true, Betty. Thank you!

I was not sure if it would be OK, with the posters on here, for me to post something I saw. Glad that it seems to be OK.

I want to make it clear that for anyone to say that Chris used drug $ to buy the house - that is just slander. We don't know anything about that subject (M grows) unless it comes up in court, which is why I have now decided not to post about that subject anymore. If it comes up in court that is different...

I hope this is the last we see of this slanderous accusation. It's baseless and irrelevant. Some would even see it as an attempt by the killers and their defenders to distract attention from the horrific acts of the murderous Wagner family.

This close to the trial dates, it appears to be a dishonest attempt to sway potential jury members into supporting a family of people accused of the murder of 8 innocent people. I'm sure no one here wants to give aid and comfort to those accused of murder.

I hope this is the last we see of this slanderous accusation. It's baseless and irrelevant. Some would even see it as an attempt by the killers and their defenders to distract attention from the horrific acts of the murderous Wagner family.

This close to the trial dates, it appears to be a dishonest attempt to sway potential jury members into supporting a family of people accused of the murder of 8 innocent people. I'm sure no one here wants to give aid and comfort to those accused of murder.
I agree! And I edited my previous post a bit stronger to better reflect this. Thankx for the reminder about subversive forces trying to run the narrative in the W's favor..I'm serious no joke. I believe this does occur on the internet where posters can be anonymous. I believe I have definitely seen it happen. Not saying it happened in this forum, I'm talking about before I came on WS.

Last edited:
t

Earned it. He had money in the bank and worked many jobs and made thousands of dollars of profit on the cars he fixed up.

This is exactly what I think, too. I don't know how they financed the rest of the new home, but it appears to have been a bank loan. When we bought our home a few years ago, we had to show where the down payment came from. The bank also required 30 days or 60 days, I think 60, of transactions in our checking account. They are trained to look for suspicious activities, including money laundering.

This is exactly what I think, too. I don't know how they financed the rest of the new home, but it appears to have been a bank loan. When we bought our home a few years ago, we had to show where the down payment came from. The bank also required 30 days or 60 days, I think 60, of transactions in our checking account. They are trained to look for suspicious activities, including money laundering.

Absolutely the bank needs to know pretty much everything about a loan
recipient's finances.

Certain "elements" will pay to have someone grow "produce" for them so it didn't necessarily belong to CR. Start-up comes from somewhere.

A theory is that Billy was involved and wanted CR to pay him more money but Chris held all the leverage, given to him by the "start-up" guys. Wagners don't like someone else holding leverage as it has always been the other way around for them. Chris held all the "purse strings" and this enraged Bad Billy ( his real nickname ) and also it enraged him that the Rhodens had all the leverage in the custody battle.

We will find out the motive during the prosecution's opening statement I believe. If any case needed strong motive(s) it is this one.

Theory Opinion.

Last edited:
My point on the acquisition of the money for Dana's place is: Possibly the money was borrowed from his "business partner" for some business reason. Maybe co-signed or vouched for. The money was used then for Dana (and Hannah) to get a new place to live. Thus negating an argument that Hanna was bringing he child up while living in substandard conditions. Maybe his business partner was very unhappy the money was used in that way.
Very unhappy.
The lender and business partner complained to Chris Sr and demanded the money back.
Chris Sr said no. Then the fight. Could you imagine anything that would infuriate a rich powerful family more than having your own money used against you in this way.

I never intended for that question of mine would infer any kind of wrongdoing on the Rhoden end.
If there was wrongdoing on the loan, The W's would have certainly pointed it out. They didn't.

This is just my opinion on the nagging question of "Why the two fights between two longtime friends"?
There was no fight when Jake got Hanna pregnant at 14. There was no fight when Hanna started seeing other guys. There was no fight when one of them got Hanna pregnant.
Besting some people in a business deal and the rubbing their nose in it can be a powerful revenge motive.

IMO, as always.

This is just my opinion on the nagging question of "Why the two fights between two longtime friends"?
There was no fight when Jake got Hanna pregnant at 14. There was no fight when Hanna started seeing other guys. There was no fight when one of them got Hanna pregnant.
Besting some people in a business deal and the rubbing their nose in it can be a powerful revenge motive.

Actually, the prosecution has alleged that Hanna Rhoden was physically abused by Jake, so apparently there were other fights before the murders. They may not have reached the level of the fathers of both getting in a fight, but we don't know. We do know about the fight between Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr. shortly before the murders and likely around the time that the Wagners were pressuring Hanna to sign custody documents.

So far, no one has offered proof that Chris Sr. was "good friends" with Billy Wagner, nor that they were engaged in any kind of business together. Those are only rumors offered without proof by family members of the accused. ICBW, but if someone has a link to a quote from the prosecutors or other proof that Chris Sr and Billy Wagner were close friends or business partners, please post a link. TIA

Otherwise, we'll probably have to wait for the trial.

Something I'm curious about...why have only the attorneys for BW and GW4 filed motions to reduce bond? Why haven't JW and AW's attorneys filed the same?

Is FW pushing BW and GW4's attorneys behind the scenes? If so, why not push for JW, too?

Any thoughts?

If it's relevant to the case, it may be mentioned at the trial.

It's also possible CR1 saved up some money, fixed and sold enough cars, borrowed from family, etc. to make the down payment. Absent any proof, we shouldn't assume he did anything wrong. I'm sure no one here wants to imply that any of the Rhoden family who were so brutally murdered did anything to bring a massacre upon themselves. It's difficult to imagine any circumstance that would justify the brutal slaughter of 8 people in their sleep.

In a county where the Wagners occasionally found themselves arrested and prosecuted for various crimes for theft, brandishing guns at other drives, etc., the Rhoden family managed to avoid that.
I honestly do not think anyone is implying anything against the Rhoden family. It is possible that CRsr had 30k in a savings account with the bank and it would still be considered a cash down payment. I believe the purchase of DR's home is relevant to the case because it protected HR from JW and his threats to take SW from her.

Cris Sr finance the new house he bought for Dana it cost $50,000 he paid $30,000 down , a bank will not finance a loan without proof of where the other $30,00 came from remember FDIC that means it is insured by federal funded and anything over $9,999 dollars has to have proof where it came from or of being earned, do to drug deal money.
If you Sluthers remember when we talked about the different company’s that Chris Sr has had and even one that deal with medical equipment that we know nothing about, so the new marijuana law was about to pass in Ohio, maybe he thought he could get in on the ground floor of a despiser and maybe someone invested in on the deal, only time will tell?????

Actually, the prosecution has alleged that Hanna Rhoden was physically abused by Jake, so apparently there were other fights before the murders. They may not have reached the level of the fathers of both getting in a fight, but we don't know. We do know about the fight between Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr. shortly before the murders and likely around the time that the Wagners were pressuring Hanna to sign custody documents.

So far, no one has offered proof that Chris Sr. was "good friends" with Billy Wagner, nor that they were engaged in any kind of business together. Those are only rumors offered without proof by family members of the accused. ICBW, but if someone has a link to a quote from the prosecutors or other proof that Chris Sr and Billy Wagner were close friends or business partners, please post a link. TIA

Otherwise, we'll probably have to wait for the trial.

Agree, and we are going to have to wait until trial to learn more. What we do know is it wasn't just a rumor - there was a big fight between CR Sr. and BW not long before the murders. I think a lot of things were happening at the time and we know about the new home, the confirmed Dad fight, on-going surveillance of the R's by the W's, and the custody documents. In a July 2016, JW talked about his big legal expenses to get custody of SW, and he was doing a fundraiser. I can't imagine actually getting custody of SW after the murders cost him much, if anything. JMO, I think there may have been legal expenses before the murders, and he was trying to come up with a reason or reasons for the court to award custody to him and that did not fly. I think JW's prior acts are pertinent to the case. JMO, there would be no need for discussion of this in the hearings if there weren't any prior acts, and if things were just "fine", which is the narrative that was being promoted by JW and AW.

I've also seen no proof of this "good friend" relationship between CR Sr. and BW, or that they had any kind of business partnership. I think it is entirely possible the only thing they had in common was a shared grandchild and that was contentious. It seems to me that CR Sr. had drive. He possessed multiple skills that allowed him to make a living, and he was not afraid of hard work. I've asked myself the question of why would he need to partner up with BW in business? It appears BW did some work for his wealthy mother. He had a criminal record and a prior bankruptcy and was on food stamps in the early 2000's, and it doesn't appear his mother forked over any big bucks when all of that was going on. I'm just not seeing the same kind of drive or income producing ability between the two men that would result in CR Sr. wanting to partner-up in a business arrangement.

All JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member