GUILTY OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #67

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe those are the weeks for Jury and Voir Dire? But not sure, I just got the feed back and was trying to listen to Judge

Yes, they were. I think(?) I put that in my note. It fits with having a trial date of August 29. The time frame they were discussing was around a couple weeks before Aug 29.

The change should be on Pike County Court View soon. When I checked earlier today, GW4 still had his old trial date. All of these changes will be posted there, not sure if today, but probably tomorrow.

It really highlights how horrendous are justice system has become. Especially murder at the state level. What exactly does recieve the death penalty if not this? So many rationalizations money considerations. Prosecutors will do anything to avoid trial. Look at g4s case it seems bulletproof. But lacking an actual video of murders coupled with a play by play confession g4 still has a chance. How and why??

I do not question that JW said G4 was at the scenes and wore the shoes. I think the issue are the other things JW is claimed to have said in his proffer as to G4 that may cause a slight issue. The several things known about do not seem logical. I guess it depends on if it can be proven otherwise. To a jury it may make a difference. You never know with a jury.

I do not think the defense thinks they can get G4 off, but may think they can get him lesser charges or lesser sentence if the jury believes JW. Believing what JW said about the night of the murders in reagard to G4 may be hard for them.

They may not be able to differentiate between his truth and his lies. JW may not do well on the stand.

Okay - thanks for the link to the hearing. The following dates for hearings:

Mar. 7th @ 1pm - Motions hearing
April 4th @ 9am - Daubert hearing on shoe print (nothing mentioned on ballistics)
May 2 @ 1pm -Motions hearing
May 16 @ 1pm - Motion to suppress
July 5 to 14 - @ 9am - Jury questionnaire & seating
Aug 8 thru 12 @ 9am - Individual voir dire
Aug 15 thru 19 @ 9am - Individual voir dire
Aug 29 @ 9am - trial starts with general voir dire & opening statements.

I do not question that JW said G4 was at the scenes and wore the shoes. I think the issue are the other things JW is claimed to have said in his proffer as to G4 that may cause a slight issue. The several things known about do not seem logical. I guess it depends on if it can be proven otherwise. To a jury it may make a difference. You never know with a jury.

I do not think the defense thinks they can get G4 off, but may think they can get him lesser charges or lesser sentence if the jury believes JW. Believing what JW said about the night of the murders in reagard to G4 may be hard for them.

They may not be able to differentiate between his truth and his lies. JW may not do well on the stand.

ETA: I also think Jake will do well on the stand because he knows his life depends on telling the truth. Sure, defense attorneys will try to twist his words, but the state has evidence to back up everything Jake says.

My impression from AC's statements during GW4's previous hearing (not today) was that Jake began his proffer interview stating that GW4 didn't kill anyone, but ended up with a different take. JMO, during that intervew, AC, Junk, BCI agents, etc. all had evidence to see if it matched what Jake was telling them.

I can see them methodically pulling out evidence to question him when he said something like "George didn't kill anyone". They probably put Jake on the spot making him explain why his claim didn't mesh with the evidence they had. Once he realized they had enough evidence to contest any false statements he made, he eventually told the truth.

JMO, it's a mistake to assume that, because Jake and Angela confessed, the state didn't already have a very strong case. They absolutely do have a very solid case. The mountain of evidence is the foundation of their case, the proffer is the icing, so to speak. They could still get a conviction without the proffers, JMO.

Last edited:
Okay - thanks for the link to the hearing. The following dates for hearings:

Mar. 7th @ 1pm - Motions hearing
April 4th @ 9am - Daubert hearing on shoe print (nothing mentioned on ballistics)
May 2 @ 1pm -Motions hearing
May 16 @ 1pm - Motion to suppress
July 5 to 14 - @ 9am - Jury questionnaire & seating
Aug 8 thru 12 @ 9am - Individual voir dire
Aug 15 thru 19 @ 9am - Individual voir dire
Aug 29 @ 9am - trial starts with general voir dire & opening statements.

Thank you!

I wonder if a plea could be in the works?

I think that ship has sailed, they have all those dates in July now to seat a jury and shoeprint expert(s) flying in in April and a trial date not cancelled but moved.

George has had 3 years and 3 months to take a plea. It's been going on a year since Jake did his Proffer. If anything George seems more determined than ever to get his trial.

After today I would be surprised if George took a plea. Really surprised.

I think that ship has sailed, they have all those dates in July now to seat a jury and shoeprint expert(s) flying in in April and a trial date not cancelled but moved.

George has had 3 years and 3 months to take a plea. It's been going on a year since Jake did his Proffer. If anything George seems more determined than ever to get his trial.

After today I would be surprised if George took a plea. Really surprised.

A plea deal can be made any time right up to the day the trial starts....

A plea deal can be made any time right up to the day the trial starts....

Yup, but I think he is going to trial. I will be surprised if he takes a plea.

Canepa said all 4 were offered plea deals and obviously George doesn't like the deal and if the deal doesn't change, which I doubt it will, then he apparently wants to take his chances at trial.

For George to take a plea the prosecution has to offer him a better one and they won't is how it seems to me.

George wants to get out of jail not sit in prison for 30 or more years, a trial is his only way to get what he wants. Well, to have the chance to get what he wants, a plea gives him too much time.

Does anyone find it funny how the two who pushed for this evil crime, caved? AW gets 30 years and JW gets out of the death penalty.

I'm not surprised because 4 months before Jake's trial he knew he couldn't win and he would be found guilty and get the DP. His guilty plea was all about not getting the DP.

Angie same. She knew there was too much evidence against her with the shoes, custody documents, laptop purchases, laptop screen saves, electronic spying, recorded conversations, Other Acts Evidence, witnesses, etc....

So rather than get convicted of the murders at trial and get LWOP, she opted to get those murder charges dropped and take 30 years.

Angie and Jake only did what was in their best interests to do when backed into a corner.

Trial = poor outcome

Plea = better outcome

I hope @PrairieWind drops by soon to look at the dates scheduled leading up to George's trial to give her opinion on how this might work if there's a change of venue.

JMO, it looks like they've left themselves quite a bit of time between calling the jury and the trial date: July 5 - August 29.

I hope @PrairieWind drops by soon to look at the dates scheduled leading up to George's trial to give her opinion on how this might work if there's a change of venue.

JMO, it looks like they've left themselves quite a bit of time between calling the jury and the trial date: July 5 - August 29.

I bet your right, that they are giving time for a change of venue. Billy's attorneys mentioned something similar to this.

They want their trial date no later than October 31st 2022, then Deering asked if they might be ready sooner and they said no more than 30 days sooner because they need time to see how it goes trying to sit a jury, possible change of venue.

This was before George's trial was set. I think Billy's trial will need to be moved farther out now. George's trial might take 6 weeks.

Their trials 2 months apart are too close.

Last edited:
Does anyone find it funny how the two who pushed for this evil crime, caved? AW gets 30 years and JW gets out of the death penalty.

I do find it a little interesting that those two have pled and not the other two as of yet. JW has tried to help G4 though, in his proffer, I am pretty confident. He did not help him in some ways but he tried to make up for it and give a reason as to why G4 went, and how that played out. It does not seem so logical but I guess it could be.

I assume that is what his testimony will also be and I am not so sure that some will then think he is so truthful on the stand once they know what JW said in regard to G4. That is the problem I see with his testimony, it will be hard for a juror to see it both ways, maybe truthful about some things but not about others or truthful about everything which could help G4 to a degree if they believe JW. Just never know with a jury and I guess that may be what they are counting on.

I guess my point is really about an unrealistically high burden of proof that's been artificially inflated by forensic expectations appeal precedent law and jury nullification. Things like dna started off as a tool to crack cases disprove allibies identify unknown parties. But over time the csi effect has become a pre requisite and that runs counter to justice. When there's no useable dna at the scene or a killer is proven to have been there but did not leave dna, it becomes more likely the crime will be unsolved or murder will get acquittal or mistrial. This murder case is extremely strong. We've got motive means opportunity murder weapons witnesses wire taps codefendefendant testimony vehicles cyber evidence. We dont have g4s dna and a videotape of the crime and some weird off the wall statement that g4 was protecting jake from Billy while Jake and Billy murdered an entire innocent family
And given everything that has happened g4 still has a chance of getting off and wont take a deal because of it. If I were him under these circumstances I wouldn't either. But not a serial killer either. My point is it's too easy for ppl to avoid justice in cases where guilt is absolute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member