OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone who has seen facebooks of victims see the threat to Chris JR before it disappeared? JMO

Those threats were screencapped by at least one member here. That I can say.

By CRIMESIDER STAFF CBS/AP April 25, 2016, 10:32 AM
Facebook threat targeted executed Ohio family

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio --A Facebook threat mentioning one of theeight members of an Ohio family who were shot and killed execution-style on Friday is among the the evidence investigators are examining, CBS News has confirmed.

The threat specifically called out Christopher Rhoden Jr., who died along with seven other members of the Rhoden family, in a string of shootings at four rural locations.

"I'm aware of the Facebook threat," Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine told CBS News. "Every piece of information is valuable and our investigators are certainly taking that into consideration."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-threat-targeted-executed-ohio-family/

I wonder if this is the post over an exchange of words that has already been discounted? It had to do with a biracial guy being called some nasty names and I believe the Rhoden's pulled guns on him and friends.

"Extensive marijuana grow operations were found at three of the sites, DeWine told reporters Sunday.
An official with knowledge of the operation told CNN's Nick Valencia that the marijuana wasn't being grown for personal use.
"It was for something much bigger than that. It was a very sophisticated operation," the official said.
Such operations are often located indoors, and use elaborate lighting, watering and feeding systems designed to yield crops every three to four months, according to an April article in Police Chief magazine."

[video=cnn;us/2016/04/24/ohio-killings-marijuana-grow-operations-nick-valencia.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/us/ohio-family-killed-marijuana/index.html[/video]

The press has now picked up on what criminal history is out there, for victims and other relatives still living. It starts at the 1:15 mark.

Also on the video at the 1:54 mark the 18 pieces of crucial evidence are discussed. Reporter says some of it is being tested for DNA. Not sure how accurate that is but that is what is being reported.

I wonder if this is the post over an exchange of words that has already been discounted? It had to do with a biracial guy being called some nasty names and I believe the Rhoden's pulled guns on him and friends.

There was also an altercation involving one of the family members CRjr. not too long ago, where he (CRjr.) allegedly hit someone with his car. Not sure if that has been talked about here or not, but the other person did publicly (on FB anyway) address him talking with investigators and providing DNA as he mentioned being accused of having something to do with this. There were a group of 3 aside from CRjr. Who will allegedly involved in this. Maybe that is the FB threat he's speaking of...I know fTom reading the comments on the original post (when this particular indent with the car took place) there were some not so nice things said.

CNN is doing a segment right now and talking about the sheriff saying people should arm themselves. This isn't odd, our sheriff says this all the time and I'm in a large County without this crime. Cops can't be everywhere and they aren't personal security guards. In the south arming yourself and the cops saying you should isn't abnormal at all. It takes cops a few minutes to get there even if you do get to call them. Telling people to arm themselves isn't abnormal.

Here is the thing people don't realize about growing pot. Growing it well requires A LOT of electricity. It's not uncommon for people to get caught because the electric company alerts the police to any major, not normal spike in electricity usage during non peak hours. I agree they seem to lack the sophistication to have a successful grow spot, but we have to remind ourselves...they weren't caught. Their operation was discovered after the fact. So either they are more savvy than it appears or they had outside help. JMO

I am familiar with the use of electricity and have heard of the electric company watching for uses, it's the same where I live. I live in British Columbia we are the one of the pot capitals in the world having 'BC Bud' lol!

You have a really good point, they might not be the most sophisticated and they weren't caught but someone set this up for them and was a puppet master so to speak.

I knew of a person who's estranged father came out of the woodwork to re-establish a relationship, he told her she could live in one of his houses on some property and pay cheap rent. She lived there awhile, and when she moved turns out the property had some illegal stuff going on (I think a small grow-op of some sort, not big leagues). Her own loser dad basically used her to have someone living/occupying the house there, that's pretty bad.

The Rhodens were probably used, maybe even naive if they were seeing financial gain and knew all kinds of info so whoever was pulling the strings got rid of them all. Terrible.

CNN is doing a segment right now and talking about the sheriff saying people should arm themselves. This isn't odd, our sheriff says this all the time and I'm in a large County without this crime. Cops can't be everywhere and they aren't personal security guards. In the south arming yourself and the cops saying you should isn't abnormal at all. It takes cops a few minutes to get there even if you do get to call them. Telling people to arm themselves isn't abnormal.

I agree. Granted it's Detroit, but the mayor of Detroit has told people to be armed in the past and not be scared to shoot intruders. Since this family is clearly targeted, I think it makes sense to tell the rest of the family members especially to be armed, and the rest of the community. These perps or perp is clearly on the loose, and if they are capable of this, what else can they do? I don't necessarily think the entire community is in danger, but this is a mass killing with so far no confirmed reason or suspects that we know of. And if anyone in the community knows something.. I bet they are a bit worried themselves. Someone knows something. JMO.

I didn't see the threat, but I did see the profile of the person who threatened it. Some high school kid, who seemed really normal, smart, and like he had his life together. He updated his status publicly to let people know that he is heartbroken for the Rhoden family, and that he never would have wanted something like this to happen. Whatever the threat was, he says it was completely empty, and he feels terribly for issuing it. It sounds like it was just some high school facebook feud. Either way, he said he spoke to investigators immediately, and it sounds like he's clear.

Heroin = major drug issue in this area. It's cheaper to get Heroin than buy a 6 pack of beer. Huge epidemic of heroin babies in a county to the west of Pike Co. They didn't have enough foster homes for all the babies being born.

I'm betting the fact that they had a grow shop will be a huge surprise to the community.

Like any small town, people will always have suspicions about so and so...they do drugs or they sell drugs. Unfortunately, it's becoming so common it is becoming harder to tell.

Thanks for your insights :) Ugh, sounds like a nasty problem down there...and seems impossible to fix once it starts up.

I didn't see the threat, but I did see the profile of the person who threatened it. Some high school kid, who seemed really normal, smart, and like he had his life together. He updated his status publicly to let people know that he is heartbroken for the Rhoden family, and that he never would have wanted something like this to happen. Whatever the threat was, he says it was completely empty, and he feels terribly for issuing it. It sounds like it was just some high school facebook feud. Either way, he said he spoke to investigators immediately, and it sounds like he's clear.

The threat against CRsr or CRjr? From my understanding, there are 2 different threats. One against each. If it's a high schooler, I'm assuming that is the threat against CRjr? Correct me if I am wrong?

The threat against CRsr or CRjr? From my understanding, there are 2 different threats. One against each. If it's a high schooler, I'm assuming that is the threat against CRjr? Correct me if I am wrong?
Sorry, I'm just diving back in for the day- I must have missed that there was also a threat against CRsr. The threat I mention is the one against CRjr.

They keep talking about the sophisticated killing and covering up. I learned to shoot young and am very trained with a gun, but I wouldn't know anything about being sophisticated enough to cover up at a crime scene. Would hunters know enough for that? Would just country folk know enough for that or does that indicate a professional?

Yeah he went to the cops immediately to clear himself. I believe he also has to stay out of town because of threats he is getting..

I am not sure what I think anymore. At first, I most definitely thought that the cartel probably had something to do with the deaths. Just the way they were taken out alone, made me think organized crime. Now, I am leaning towards hitman/hitmen being sent by someone else to do the deed. To me, it seems like this is probably not the first time that the suspects involved have carried out a mass killing in this fashion. From the beginning, I noticed that it would have to have been calculated, carefully planned. It was not done sloppily.
Unfortunately, someone probably was involved with the wrong people and the entire family had to suffer (regardless if they were directly involved or not!)
And, to piggy back on previous posts, if two older male victims (Gary and Chris Sr., correct?) were severely beaten- well, that just shows you who the DIRECT target was.
It wasn't mentioned that any of the other victims were beaten. Or, maybe, these two victims were the only ones that were putting up a fight? Someone had mentioned that it may be possible that they KNEW that something bad was going to happen... or possibly on alert? Maybe they were waiting for the attack and weren't caught off guard or sleeping.
However, if they knew of possible grave danger, I would think they would have relayed the message to the rest of the family? Maybe, they thought that their family would not be in danger.
Just speculating!

I'm a bit foggy, but wasn't there mention that a threatening letter was sent to one of the family members weeks before? I'm not sure if this was just rumour or not....

If true, who sends a letter these days? That seems like an idea from a bad movie of the week to me. Almost sounds *too* set-up.

The relatives have to remain very worried though. Having weapons didn't help any of those murdered. Probably why LE is calling it a sophisticated operation. I know they had weapons from online pics and hunting photos. Also having 3 growing operations would probably make them want to be armed. There was just no time to react. I think 24 hour protection is in order for them. Or they have to schedule watches, install cameras, alarms, etc Prayers for LE to get a big break.

High School kids threaten each other on FB routinely. They call each other out in 'dramatic' ways, over silly stuff. This brutal, mass execution does not feel like a high school rivalry from a FB threat to me. It feels like money/disrespect/betrayal on an adult, criminal level.

They keep talking about the sophisticated killing and covering up. I learned to shoot young and am very trained with a gun, but I wouldn't know anything about being sophisticated enough to cover up at a crime scene. Would hunters know enough for that? Would just country folk know enough for that or does that indicate a professional?

That's what I'm wondering too. Seems pretty professional, or at least not their first rodeo. Silencers? Taking the shell casings? Leaving no tire or foot tracks? Seems really odd to keep hearing it called sophisticated. And they must like that word. They've called it a sophisticated execution and a sophisticated grow operation.

It's one of a number of things that makes me think that at least one of the killers was someone who knew the victims very well.

Either that or they put something in a piece of meat/treat meatball etc. earlier to knock the dogs out? Who knows what they did, these monsters are capable of anything!

And from what I remember, one if them had an indoor grow operation he was busted for. I really find it too much of a coincidence for the relative that was busted for a grow operation to be there and all killed and there were three grow operations on the land.

Yes! Exactly ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member