OH - Shawn Michael GRATE: 3 bodies found, Ashland/Madison, Sept 2016

Suspected serial killer's chilling text: "Meet the other me"
An occasional drifter linked to the slayings of at least four women in just over a decade could always find a place to stay and someone to give him a lift. Even with little money to his name and a string of arrests in his past, Shawn Grate, 40, was magnetic enough to make friends with almost anyone.

“He just had this way about him that he could draw people in,” said Tim Denis, who struck up a friendship with Grate that fell apart nearly two years ago over a loan.

Denis got a string of angry text messages from Grate, ending with a warning that still gives him chills: “Meet the other me.”

For those speculating that he could have had male victims, I think there is a strong possibility he did. I think he used anybody that he could. Here is a missing Ashland, Oh. Man. What I find interesting about this one is that this MP seemed to have an interest in magic. As far as Grate, think Magic Shop, etc as in the pics of the shop he was working out of and the things he wanted to set up there. Seems Grate may have had an interest in magic too? Did he get an interest from this guy?was he trying to attract certain kinds of people to his "place of business"? He wanted to set up a craft shop as part of his business. That would attract women or artsy people. Magic? Was he trying to attract certain kinds of people on the fringe? Really curious what a profiler would do with the kinds of information on his "business plan".

Would like to know more about this Ashland missing man. Haven't researched him yet if anyone cares to.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ing-Persons/Cold-Case-Missing-Adults/Brubaker

Mansfield News Journal released Part 1 of an article about SG, detailing his (somewhat) early life and escalating violence. There are a couple of comments from ex gf's and a few new details on his earlier offenses. Also, there are a few early mugshots and a photo of him "as a young man".

---

This story is part 1 of 3: Crimes grow more violent

Part 2: Marries, divorces and claims to kill in Mansfield

Part 3: His trail ends in Ashland

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...iller-ashland-mansfield-marion-ohio/91340968/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mansfield News Journal released Part 1 of an article about SG, detailing his (somewhat) early life and escalating violence. There are a couple of comments from ex gf's and a few new details on his earlier offenses. Also, there are a few early mugshots and a photo of him "as a young man".

---

This story is part 1 of 3: Crimes grow more violent

Part 2: Marries, divorces and claims to kill in Mansfield

Part 3: His trail ends in Ashland

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...iller-ashland-mansfield-marion-ohio/91340968/

Wow. Every picture of him looks like a different person.

For those speculating that he could have had male victims, I think there is a strong possibility he did. I think he used anybody that he could. Here is a missing Ashland, Oh. Man. What I find interesting about this one is that this MP seemed to have an interest in magic. As far as Grate, think Magic Shop, etc as in the pics of the shop he was working out of and the things he wanted to set up there. Seems Grate may have had an interest in magic too? Did he get an interest from this guy?was he trying to attract certain kinds of people to his "place of business"? He wanted to set up a craft shop as part of his business. That would attract women or artsy people. Magic? Was he trying to attract certain kinds of people on the fringe? Really curious what a profiler would do with the kinds of information on his "business plan".

Would like to know more about this Ashland missing man. Haven't researched him yet if anyone cares to.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ing-Persons/Cold-Case-Missing-Adults/Brubaker

Replying to my own post for follow-through reasons.

Benjamin Howard Brubaker disappeared from Ashland in 2005. From google searches it also appears he may have lived in Mansfield at times and has lived in Wooster at times. These locations are also true of Grate. Brubaker had also spent time in prison and in Ashland County Jail. So, my question is, does anyone have a good timeline of Grate's residences? And, does anyone have any of the Wooster addresses where Grate resided? Some of Brubaker's addresses are on the court dockets.

I am really interested in whether these two knew each other or had contact.

http://www.ashlandcountycpcourt.org/eservices/?x=9NptlHqvsPThmO5cBHa-9Q

Replying to my own post for follow-through reasons.

Benjamin Howard Brubaker disappeared from Ashland in 2005. From google searches it also appears he may have lived in Mansfield at times and has lived in Wooster at times. These locations are also true of Grate. Brubaker had also spent time in prison and in Ashland County Jail. So, my question is, does anyone have a good timeline of Grate's residences? And, does anyone have any of the Wooster addresses where Grate resided? Some of Brubaker's addresses are on the court dockets.

I am really interested in whether these two knew each other or had contact.

http://www.ashlandcountycpcourt.org/eservices/?x=9NptlHqvsPThmO5cBHa-9Q

63a9d34620dea1fd4683162d573b793a.jpg

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11nkyKnQm5palvwVW_Yahj8TrOsaa-8VNl3bT_BjWwto/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a residence timeline, but there hasn't been anything from Wooster that I've seen. The first 3 are prior to 2007. I'd love to hear about what you've found linking SG to Wooster.

OT, but watch this.

[video=youtube;o2oZWpqtNi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2oZWpqtNi4[/video]

The lady who managed to escape and call 911 is probably very thankful she escaped with her life

I hope they didn't rely on Grate's description for the new sketch of the Marion woman. I'm not sure I'd believe a sociopath.

Here's the news link with the new sketch.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/33...new-sketches-help-identify-shawn-grate-victim
The new sketch of the Marion Jane Doe seems to have pronounced jowls. The original ID criteria stated 15-22 years old, 5'3"-5-'9", 125-150 pounds... It seems somebody of that that age and height/weight ratio might not have the same kind of weight in the face that SG is describing. I wonder if the Marion Jane Doe might have been older or heavier?

A lot of college kids used to sell magazines around here. Also it's not unusual for parents to help their kids sell magazines for school and sports fundraisers.

The new sketch of the Marion Jane Doe seems to have pronounced jowls. The original ID criteria stated 15-22 years old, 5'3"-5-'9", 125-150 pounds... It seems somebody of that that age and height/weight ratio might not have the same kind of weight in the face that SG is describing. I wonder if the Marion Jane Doe might have been older or heavier?

Everything I've read states SG says he thinks she was 26, or close to it.

This article appeared in the Columbus Dispatch newspaper this morning. A new sketch of the Marion County unid victim was released yesterday.

Suspected killer helps with new sketch of woman slain in Marion County in 2006

Suspected serial killer Shawn M. Grate sat down with a sketch artist Monday morning at the Ashland County jail and described what he remembers about the woman he says he killed in his Marion home a decade ago.

In addition, Marion detectives pulled some 1,600 records of white, 26-year-old women named Dana who lived in Ohio in 2006 when the killing occurred.

Source:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/10/03/new-marion-sketch.html#

Now I'm just thinking out loud here. There is a state prison in Marion, Ohio. I'm thinking about the possibility that the unid female victim may had a family member or friend serving time at the state prison in Marion.

It could be possible that the unid female victim may have visited an inmate at the state prison in Marion and then the visitation suddenly stopped. Sometimes a family member or a friend move and live in the area near where a prison inmate is incarcerated at.

I have been posting over on the original Marion Jane Doe's thread about the "magazine sales crews" that operate across the US and are notorious for terrible treatment of the workers that they move from state to state. Based on the possibility she was with one of these crews, I have been looking for Diana/Dawn/Deanna/Dana anywhere in the US missing in the 2000-2006 time frame. I also have pulled over some of the timeline information that was posted here, I hope that is ok.

In case anyone wants to chime in, this is one possibility I found: 5'10", missing from Sacramento in May of 2005 (have not found anymore about the circumstances of her disappearance). She is 26 and first name is Dawn, but I can't say one way or another that she looks like a match and no reason to think she has ties to Ohio:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/y/young_dawn.html

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...-why-he-murdered-victims-in-letters-to-news-5

ASHLAND, Ohio - Suspected serial killer Shawn Michael Grate wrote two letters to News 5 Cleveland’s Megan Hickey acknowledging the murders of “all five victims” that he is connected to and providing what he said was the motive for killing them.
[...]
To verify the authenticity of his letters, Grate included the original copy of his indictment No. 16-CR1-187. The document is complete with original signatures from the Grand Jury Foreperson, Clerk and Assistant Prosecuting Attorney. He addressed the document “To: Reporter Megan Hickey,” traced his left hand, signed the document with his name and dated it September 28.
The letters are written in careful cursive on three sheets of loose-leaf paper. Grate apologized for sloppiness, saying that he wrote the letters with a golf pencil.

Grate’s first letter responded to a request from Hickey asking for an on-camera interview.

“That sounds scary in facing myself even more,” Grate wrote. “The mirror has been enough but having even more questions hitting me straight on could and would only help to understand me better.”

Grate went on to promise that he would eventually share why he committed “a horrible act of violent behavior” and the second letter details what he claims to be his motive.

Grate wrote that while in jail, he received “a clear vision of WHY.”

“They were already dead, just their bodies were flopping wherever it can flop but their minds were already dead! The state took their minds. Once they started receiving their monthly checks.”

Grate went on to claim that “government assistance” took his victim’s “minds.” He said he applied for government assistance five years ago and received a $197 on a food card that he used for a year and a half. He found work making handcrafted signs.

“Never was able to receive any encouragement, though many bodies received 700,” he wrote.

Grate uses the words “people,” “bodies” and “victims” interchangeably.

Bible verses from the Book of Revelation and Hebrews are also scattered throughout the correspondence.

More at link...

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...-why-he-murdered-victims-in-letters-to-news-5

ASHLAND, Ohio - Suspected serial killer Shawn Michael Grate wrote two letters to News 5 Cleveland’s Megan Hickey acknowledging the murders of “all five victims” that he is connected to and providing what he said was the motive for killing them.
[...]
To verify the authenticity of his letters, Grate included the original copy of his indictment No. 16-CR1-187. The document is complete with original signatures from the Grand Jury Foreperson, Clerk and Assistant Prosecuting Attorney. He addressed the document “To: Reporter Megan Hickey,” traced his left hand, signed the document with his name and dated it September 28.
The letters are written in careful cursive on three sheets of loose-leaf paper. Grate apologized for sloppiness, saying that he wrote the letters with a golf pencil.

Grate’s first letter responded to a request from Hickey asking for an on-camera interview.

“That sounds scary in facing myself even more,” Grate wrote. “The mirror has been enough but having even more questions hitting me straight on could and would only help to understand me better.”

Grate went on to promise that he would eventually share why he committed “a horrible act of violent behavior” and the second letter details what he claims to be his motive.

Grate wrote that while in jail, he received “a clear vision of WHY.”

“They were already dead, just their bodies were flopping wherever it can flop but their minds were already dead! The state took their minds. Once they started receiving their monthly checks.”

Grate went on to claim that “government assistance” took his victim’s “minds.” He said he applied for government assistance five years ago and received a $197 on a food card that he used for a year and a half. He found work making handcrafted signs.

“Never was able to receive any encouragement, though many bodies received 700,” he wrote.

Grate uses the words “people,” “bodies” and “victims” interchangeably.

Bible verses from the Book of Revelation and Hebrews are also scattered throughout the correspondence.

More at link...

Gives good insight, shows he didn't see the women as people. Preyed on women who were vulnerable, received SSI checks. Disabled and/or drug addicts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back