Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
she looks 18+ to me. I just can't believe that we haven't identified her after all these years considering we have such a clear picture of her and how she looked like. Not to mention, red hair + freckles are not that common of a trait, like there must be a red headed family that's missing her somewhere. I wonder if she was from a foreign country, who really knows. SOMEONE knows her and it's just crazy that we can't identify her. I just feel like we have to keep sharing her picture, someone from that time frame has to remember her.

Also, I wonder how she got all those scars? Seems like an awful lot of scarring, i wonder if she was in a car accident or something prior to this tragedy. Or, as was already mentioned, could be a sign of abuse.

Wouldn't it be great if a company started printing these missing people on different products that everyone buys? Like paper towels? Or if Walmart would put them on their bags? All it takes is one set of new eyes to recognize a familiar face.

There is a forum of former Way members called GreaseSpot Cafe (A church leader once said of anyone trying to leave, "You'll be a greasespot by midnight!" - predicting that the devil would run them over in the same way a car might flatten a possum on the highway, leaving a "greasespot" on the road.)

They have a specific forum for tracking lost friends. I've started going through the posts but there are so many names.

Thanks for the link--interesting stuff. I've gone through 6 pages and I've found about a dozen possibles.

I don't think this has been posted yet. Unsolved: Who killed Tammy Jo Alexander, aka 'Caledonia Jane Doe'? which links to another article Help Crime Watch Daily and Carl Koppelman give names to these 5 murder victims
#4 Buckskin Girl
She was found in April 1981 Miami County, Ohio, in a rural area near the city of Troy.

Some believe she may have been a teenage runaway or a possible victim of a serial killer who had murdered multiple prostitutes in the region.

She was found 5 miles from the nearest interstate highway, leading some to speculate that she was not a hitchhiker.

She was barefoot, leading some to suspect that this was a domestic violence case.

She was wearing a strangely patterned sweater.

She had a very pointy nose.
She had a horizontal scar, about 1.5 inches long, under her lower lip.

Recognize this person? Submit a tip to Crime Watch Daily

Instead of doing Sunday dinner dishes I've just read this entire thread. I wish 'rubies' poster had come back after that hint at 'Becky.' As to the jacket: I'm working with an iPad so I cannot get a clear enough idea regarding the chevrons, nor can I tell if there's a label on the inside collar. There are textile & clothing experts at the Smithsonian who specialize in period clothing, even from the 20th century. Does anyone know if Ohio LE ever contacted any textile experts? Can anyone tell me if the chevrons on the jacket are beaded or appliqué? Thanks, I just can't believe this girl isn't identified due to the distinctive clothing. I lean towards domestic violence, JMO.

Instead of doing Sunday dinner dishes I've just read this entire thread. I wish 'rubies' poster had come back after that hint at 'Becky.' As to the jacket: I'm working with an iPad so I cannot get a clear enough idea regarding the chevrons, nor can I tell if there's a label on the inside collar. There are textile & clothing experts at the Smithsonian who specialize in period clothing, even from the 20th century. Does anyone know if Ohio LE ever contacted any textile experts? Can anyone tell me if the chevrons on the jacket are beaded or appliqué? Thanks, I just can't believe this girl isn't identified due to the distinctive clothing. I lean towards domestic violence, JMO.

There is a good image of the coat on NamUs (I'm on my phone and can't seem to get an image to embed - link: https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/4021). There have been a lot of people who have done some great research on the pullover. There wasn't a tag but it does look like there is writing on the collar. I thought it was Native American at first but after looking into it a little more think it was more of a "fashion" item in the style of the Old West. Looking at Native American artisans who create this kind of clothing they take great pride in using traditional techniques and natural materials. I could be way off, but the fact that this pullover has metal grommets leads me to believe this was not Native American. The buckskin trend was fashionable in the late 60s and early 70s, so if it was purchased or made for fashion, Buckskin Jane was out of style. I'm interested in the theories some other posters have had about motorcycle communities or hippie communities where this look may have held on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 226
I introduced my friend to forensic art yesterday because I'm hoping to pursue a career in this field, despite that I'm a terrible drawer and I was hoping to get a little bit of help. She did a quick sketch of BG from the side based on the side morgue photo and the rough digital one that I submitted to the Doe Network last year. She ended up estimating the appearance of the mouth being closed because it was somewhat difficult to sketch the position it was in when the morgue picture was taken.

12516498_10153961526652147_1463455124_n.jpg

There is a good image of the coat on NamUs (I'm on my phone and can't seem to get an image to embed - link: https://identifyus.org/en/medias/full/4021). There have been a lot of people who have done some great research on the pullover. There wasn't a tag but it does look like there is writing on the collar. I thought it was Native American at first but after looking into it a little more think it was more of a "fashion" item in the style of the Old West. Looking at Native American artisans who create this kind of clothing they take great pride in using traditional techniques and natural materials. I could be way off, but the fact that this pullover has metal grommets leads me to believe this was not Native American. The buckskin trend was fashionable in the late 60s and early 70s, so if it was purchased or made for fashion, Buckskin Jane was out of style. I'm interested in the theories some other posters have had about motorcycle communities or hippie communities where this look may have held on.

I think if the jacket was Native, it would have some sort of beading on it. I agree that they probably wouldn't have used grommets, but I do not know anything about Native history. I'll see if Tulessa would know. I used grommets on vests, chaps and pants to lace it. I'd love to be able to see the stitching; but my sewing machines could sew leather too. Seeing the way the lining is sewn in & closed up would be the give away for me.

I went back over the thread this morning, am gonna save the photos Chuz Life posted so I can look at them with her jacket. I also grabbed the link to Paula's biker albums if anyone is interested in looking at photos

Paula used to take pics for Easy Rider & Tattoo Magazine. I put BG's pics on my wall hoping she & another friend of mine would give input on the jacket; but they are both busy due to illnesses.

Photography by Pulsating Paula - Vintage Biker Photographs all taken by Pulsating Paula from the early 80s to mid 90s.

Handmade booth

Handmade top

handmade top

Hand made leather top & chaps

Carl posted this in post 313. To me, the costumes look more like felt; the fringe appears to be cut into the material vs sewn in like BG's jacket.

Just an observation from going through yearbooks from all of the I-75 and I-70 Counties in Ohio, the Indian theme was not all that uncommon throughout the state.

Below is an example of the costumes worn by members of the marching band at nearby Piqua High School (only a few miles from where BG was found). Their team name is called the Indians.

PiquaHSMarchingBand_zpsa6960507-1_zpse4cac21c.jpg

I still want to know how the jacket fit her. If it was snugly fitting to her exact measurements, then that would make it seem handmade specifically for her. If it was a bit looser in the bust, then maybe it was marketed as unisex. The.purple satin lining seems like a personal touch, something whoever made the jacket ought to remember.

I think if the jacket was Native, it would have some sort of beading on it. I agree that they probably wouldn't have used grommets, but I do not know anything about Native history. I'll see if Tulessa would know. I used grommets on vests, chaps and pants to lace it. I'd love to be able to see the stitching; but my sewing machines could sew leather too. Seeing the way the lining is sewn in & closed up would be the give away for me.

I went back over the thread this morning, am gonna save the photos Chuz Life posted so I can look at them with her jacket. I also grabbed the link to Paula's biker albums if anyone is interested in looking at photos

Carl posted this in post 313. To me, the costumes look more like felt; the fringe appears to be cut into the material vs sewn in like BG's jacket.

Here is another link to the same jacket (made in Mexico as I recall) for those who are interested.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203393...rch_query=fringe jacket mens&ref=sr_gallery_3

il_570xN.653246347_506b.jpg

Great find Chuz!

Observations: doesn't appear to have the lining and does not appear to have the same number of grommets. Helps to know it was manufactured in Mexico and is from the 60s.

Now I am beginning to think we may have overlooked the possibility that this girl MAY be from Mexico. Now, my minds off to the races and thinking of the Lebarons... ALA Flek (aka Lori Ruff). LOL.

Here is another link to the same jacket (made in Mexico as I recall) for those who are interested.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203393...rch_query=fringe jacket mens&ref=sr_gallery_3

View attachment 87388

Didn't see others had posted while I was typing & comparing lol
Sorry it has taken me so long. They are very similar. The Chevron trim are applied in different places, they are also are reversed. BG's has 5 grommets, the etsy one 3. The etsy one doesn't look lined. To me, BG's looks more hand made still and looks more to be made for a female. Will look more when I'm more awake. I wish LE would release more photos of it.

attachment.php

I showed my mom who would have been around BS girl's age give or take a few years and she said fringe jackets were a brief fad when she was in high school in the 70s.
I agree that hers looks homemade. I wonder if she saw a fringe jacket and thought I can make that myself? Or mom/family member/friend made it for her?

There are letters/numbers in the collar of the jacket. Do we know if they were there when she was found or put there by police as some form of evidence tag? If it was there when she was found maybe it was made by some form of craftsman whether it be Native American, foreign, small town shop, etc to have some form of label on their hand made goods.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I showed my mom who would have been around BS girl's age give or take a few years and she said fringe jackets were a brief fad when she was in high school in the 70s.
I agree that hers looks homemade. I wonder if she saw a fringe jacket and thought I can make that myself? Or mom/family member/friend made it for her?

There are letters/numbers in the collar of the jacket. Do we know if they were there when she was found or put there by police as some form of evidence tag? If it was there when she was found maybe it was made by some form of craftsman whether it be Native American, foreign, small town shop, etc to have some form of label on their hand made goods.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Back when NAMUS used to have more details, I seem to recall that BG's jacket had a lable but it had been removed. Then too, that detail may have come from one of my conversations with Ohio LE.

Anyway, that's when I set out to try to find a source for the jacket.

My conclusion is that the jacket was made either in Mexico or near Mexico because that is the brand name that should have been on the label that I believe was removed.

The regional aspect to all the jackets found also support my feelings that BG was Wendy S. Byron who went missing from Southern California (San Diego) and alleged to moved to Ohio to assume a new identity. That was less than 2 years before BG was found.

Smithsonian
American Museum of Natural Hostory
Kenneth Behring Center

They have experts in every field of American clothing, accessories, anything & everything. Perhaps one of you more technologically inclined posters, since I'm a Luddite, might contact an archivist there for help with the sweater & buckskin garment. It would probably work for the UID near Boston with the handmade shoes.

I wonder if the rivets have any type of branding on them...

I wish I could help you here sis, but there's no way of knowing if it is NA unless a NA made it and laid claims to making it. OR if it's an antique, they could identify it that way. There's too many people making these and claiming to be NA to keep up with. Just a couple of weeks ago, a guy was sentenced to Federal for doing this. It's not uncommon but carries penalties if they get caught. Here is a FB page that you can compare. This guy is legit.

https://www.facebook.com/tribal.impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member