OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #2

Hello all. First time poster, long time lurker. I stumbled upon this case while living on the "West Side" of Columbus, actually borderline Hilliard just south of I 70 off Hilliard Rome Road and have cut through the Comeans neighborhood many times visiting friends who lived in the Lincoln Village area.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I was reading that night in 2012 that led me to this case, although I am fascinated with true crime, especially when it's made into movies and/ or television shows like on Investigation Discovery or A&E. ... But it must have been a blog by a crime writer and the close proximity to me at that moment that peaked my curiosity.

I made it about 20 pages through the first thread, at which point the responses seemed to be pretty repetitive but I wanted to add my 2 cents to what I feel and have read so far...

1. I have an overwhelming, almost 96%, feeling deep down inside that BC knew these people/person a bunch more than he ever let on.

2. I believe that, even going through the neighborhood, I have gotten the sense that it's a small town feel even tho wedged into a big city like Columbus.

3. People in the neighborhood definitely knew each other and talked to each other all the time. Remember this is waaaaaay before we all had cell phones, computers, social media to keep track of one another. People relied on newspapers to know what happened the day before in Columbus or one of the 3 or 4 channels they may have picked up on TV at the time. I was born in 1980 and I remember only having a handful of channels even at 4/5 years old. The folks in that neighborhood spoke to each other in person for sure.

4. My gut feeling is leading me to believe that BC was friends with this person/people, wanted to be friends with them, looked up to them. Perhaps wanted to fit in w cool kids?

5. They could have been neighbors. Friends. Hate to say it, but family members. Or yes, they could have been the frightening neighborhood mental case bully.

6. I believe BC had many occurrences with these people, only 3 times it ended up life threatening.

7. I believe LE knew BC knew more than he was letting on, thusly throwing him into the "we don't quite believe you" category and the subsequent lie detector test.

8. I can't get over driving through the neighborhood thinking that there was no way people who didn't belong there didn't stick out. They were from there and were known. The closeness of the houses almost resembles lots in a trailer court if you can picture that. It's not a well built area in terms of infrastructure.

9. And this is a big point that wasn't really thoroughly touched on through the 20 pages or so I read.... Columbus PD didn't have jurisdiction over that area in 1980, it was a local, suedo quasi, PD called New Rome that literally controlled a few blocks north and south of Broad Street. These folks were more concerned with writing traffic violations in their speed traps than solving a nightmare in their own backyard. It was a money racket that garnered this little "village" hundreds of thousands of dollars a year due to thru traffic. The town of New Rome has its own corrupt history, and Id be willing to guess they may have played a major factor in the case or lack thereof of BC.

I have more thoughts but it's way past my bedtime, you guys kept me up late! Thank you and God Bless..

Also in terms of the kitchen knife being there at the location w BC, I have had this sense that the people who were strangling BC with his scarf realized they may have gone too far this time, ran nearby to their house to retrieve a kitchen knife to cut him free but when they returned, they thought he was already gone. Perhaps a car was driving by or they saw the father heading in their direction and they fled leaving the knife there on accident.

Just a thought.

Welcome to Websleuths, The Hands Team, and thanks for sharing your views!

BTW if you are in the Columbus Time Zone, it may be time to wake up soon...

:greetings:

This is true. Actually am in Columbus right now. Need to get a few zzz's before a summer excursion with the family later today. Thanks for the welcome!

Here I am a night later, this case can't leave my mind.... the kids "staring him down" at choir.... who would know names of these people? Anyone? If Bill was being stared down why didn't he come forward with names? This is the key and if no one else saw this or was told about it... BC died w the info. Case over. I hope not but seriously, how can we not know this yet?

[video=twitter;906498512803811329]https://twitter.com/BillComeans/status/906498512803811329[/video]

I've been gone 37 years. I'm so proud of my surviving brothers and sister. They didn't give up and they didn't give in.

BBM

:heartbeat:

Bill has been featured on a recent episode of True Crime Garage podcast.

[video=twitter;906495478849732608]https://twitter.com/BillComeans/status/906495478849732608[/video]

True Crime Garage made a talk video about me on Youtube. Opinions, information, and speculations. I'm just one of their many crime stories.

BBM

Ok am I to understand that testing was done on the scarf and knife,but nothing conclusive was found with current DNA testing???
Well the police also found an inner tube,a black plastic bag,and a note,were they also tested????
Did the police in this traffic ticket town bother to catalog and preserve this evidence?
I am positive that Bill knew his bullies and was afraid to name them,because he probably was led to believe it would make things worse(and he might have been right).
If my Dad was working on his car and these two(in my mind Trudell and Capehart)showed up with that knife and possibly said make a sound I'll stab your Father,I probably would go with them to get them away from my loved ones.
These two were in the school.They were no doubt bullies.
I grew up during this time and it was so different. Teachers either didn't want to get involved or ignored a lot of this bullying behavior. There certainly was a sink or swim mentality back then.
Also no one wanted to get Mommy or Daddy involved because of how it would look to your peers.
I've seen first hand bullies that target certain kids,quiet,no siblings,low self esteem,etc.
I just wish we knew if Capehart and Trudell were connected to any of New Rome higher ups that might shield them(a lot of that happened back then.I grew up in Boston and I am sure you've heard the bulger name).
I just don't understand how it can be said there are no leads when the first two attacks say two older males.These two fit that description(as much as there is one).
I would hope that if they did put the bag and inner tube into evidence that they would test that too.(warmer weather no gloves hopefully)

Last edited:
I just wish we knew if Capehart and Trudell were connected to any of New Rome higher ups that might shield them

We share alot of common thoughts. This being one of them. There's no doubt they were connected. The higher ups in NR were your average run of the mill neighborhood yokels. This towns population was that of a hole in the wall bar on a street corner. So everyone knew everyone who knew everyone.

We share alot of common thoughts. This being one of them. There's no doubt they were connected. The higher ups in NR were your average run of the mill neighborhood yokels. This towns population was that of a hole in the wall bar on a street corner. So everyone knew everyone who knew everyone.

Well now that New Rome is no more,there must be a way to trace the connections of these guys.
I contacted Dateline on FB msg.
I requested they cover this case.They were surprisingly quick to reply. I told them details and my thoughts on this..
They responded that they found the Twitter account, and that they would certainly take a look into it,and add Bill to the list of potential cases.

Was any testing done on the black plastic bag or inner tube???
I also believe that the truth will come out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back