OK OK - Lauria Bible, 16, & Ashley Freeman, 16, Welch, 30 December 1999 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They arrested a man in his 60s, the other two suspects are dead. They showed people Polaroids of the girls tied up over the years. I'm just curious on people's ideas of why they think this crime occurred? I honestly never thought I would see this case solved. Now to get these girls remains to there families...

They arrested a man in his 60s, the other two suspects are dead. They showed people Polaroids of the girls tied up over the years. I'm just curious on people's ideas of why they think this crime occurred? I honestly never thought I would see this case solved. Now to get these girls remains to there families...

Have they located their remains yet?

is there a link to the story? I'd love to read more.

ETA: found it--- one suspect arrested, 2 accomplices were already deceased

https://www.fox23.com/news/suspect-in-custody-in-ashley-freeman-laura-bible-case/736951734

Affidavit reveals details surrounding missing Oklahoma girls Ashley Freeman, Lauria Bible

Family of the victims learned the girls were likely kept alive some time after their disappearance, but they have likely since died. Their bodies have not been recovered.

You're welcome! I completely agree with you; it certainly sounds as though several people knew. I watched the news release with the Bibles discussing the recent arrest and plea for anyone to come forward with more info. It was very hard to watch. It was especially hard to see Lauria's father speak. His emotional pain just broke my heart. I cringed as I read how the girls were kept alive and tortured. I wish all 3 suspects were alive so they could have been help accountable for their disgusting, horrible crimes. I am hopeful someone, anyone will let the families know where the location of the girls bodies so the families can bring them home.

Just heard this news. So very happy there is finally an arrest. Is there a mugshot available?

Eta. Just found it a few pages back.

Shouldn't he also be charged with rape? Or do they need the bodies first or evidence of that?

Hmmmm.......

Also from your link -

"After Dugan died in 2009, his family attempted to turn over his investigation files to then-Craig County Sheriff Jimmie Sooter, who turned them down, the affidavit states. The family destroyed the files.Investigators who cracked the case said they received a crate full of reports and files in February 2017 from Craig County Sheriff Heath Winfrey shortly after he succeeded Sooter. Investigators described finding in the crate critical information that was not in the OSBI’s case file, including the names of people they subsequently interviewed."

The teenagers were kidnapped, tied up, raped by the three men, held in Welch’s mobile home at 412 S. College St. in Picher, and strangled by Welch and Pennington after “a matter of days,” according to a 29-page probable cause affidavit filed Monday in Craig County District Court.

Witnesses said Welch had photos depicting the teens “lying on a bed, facing each other, with their hands tied and their mouths gagged,” the affidavit states. In some photos, the affidavit states Welch was lying next to the teens.

The Polaroids were kept “like a ‘trophy’” and stored inside a leather briefcase to be passed around the ringleader's circle of drug dealers, the affidavit states.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_b848a994-ef09-50df-83c6-7193ee3e928a.html

Very happy for Lorene, Jay, and Lauria's brother, Brad - a long time coming. Now to find the girls.

I have to admit I'm shocked with as many people who knew about this and never went to the police (early on in the murders). I know it was mainly a "drug" scene and people were scared but not a single one went to the police to tell what they knew. I get it, they were all scared, I have to assume for multiple reasons (drugs and fear for their lives) but you know how rumors spread. I'm floored no one talked about what they had heard and that someone, anyone, didn't go to cops. It does sound like some talked to the PI but it never went anywhere??

It's not surprising people didn't tell LE when one considers that many in NE OK do not trust LE, and many have figured, rightly or wrongly, LE complicit in the Freeman/Bible crime.

Anyone know if the probable cause affidavit is available to read online somewhere?

Never thought I would see progress in this awful case. Clearly it was always something to do with drugs, and clearly always some people would have known what, when and who. When a case like this goes so long without arrests, rightly or wrongly, it always makes me think LE were either very incompetent or deliberately incompetent.

Recently listened to an in-depth interview with Lauria's mother with Ed Denzel on his Unfound podcast. Such an impressive woman who tells it like it is. Let's hope there's at least one drug-addled brain cell left with someone who can tell LE where the girls' bodies are.

I'm reading through the court docs and I am SO ANGRY about all this. They knew in January 2001 that Welch, Busick and Pennington were involved. They may not have had evidence, but they were given a bunch of details by a witness. So ALL THIS TIME this has been some crazy unsolved case with SO MUCH speculation and they basically KNEW what happened. Ugh...

Anybody wonder if one of the girls managed to kick or throw that insurance card out of the car as a desperate clue for police?

"The girlfriend showed her a Polaroid photo that she said belonged to Welch and that she was keeping as leverage against him to keep him from killing her."

Call me crazy, but there's also the option of going to the police and then he gets locked up and can't kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member