OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I was wondering: do your Ancestry DNA results confirm you are genetically related to Steve’s extended family? (It seems like yes from the overall thread, I’m mostly just checking my own reading comprehension.)

Also, are there any very close paternal-side matches you cannot identify?

Thank you. Hoping I can figure out how to get information without dropping lots of money.
@Snoangel26, I've spent the entire day today reading through your dad's thread here. It's heartbreaking, but your perseverance is inspirational.

Reference the SSN that you got off a military document, it may be possible that it contained a typo or that the PI firm that ran it for you and advised it was 'in use by someone alive' may have typoed in their own search.

I say this because you've stated that the detective you've been in contact with knows your dad's SSN and has advised that your dad's SSN has not been used (in years at least) and that would directly contradict what this PI firm stated. I'd trust a detective above a PI firm at this point.

Might I suggest that your most economical means of 'verifying' would be to email the detective once again. Let him know that you received a military record for your dad with SSN #### on it (let him/her know what that number you got is), and that you had it run by a 3rd party who advised you it was in use by a living individual.

That detective is either going to come back and tell you that the number you have is wrong or is going to dive into WHY another individual is utilizing your dad's assigned number. It would certainly be relevent to that detective in your Dad's Missing Person Investigation.

Just my suggestion from afar. I wish you peace, success and hope in finding out answers.

Snoangel26 said;
"I reached out to PI company and asked if they could
run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me
it came back to a different name and that the person
was still alive."
"The detective told me that his ssn hasn't been active."

Both statements could still be true, if the SSN hasn't
been used for years. There's the possibility someone
used it for false ID purposes in the last century...
say, to try and access veteran benefits or some such
thing. Alternatively, the information on the internet
is rather rubbery as to whether someoneelse can be
accidently issued a previously issued number... seems
like it might be a thing, although the false ID purpose
theory seems more likely.
Rather than bothering your local police about this,
which is really a Federal matter, I'd talk to whatever
Federal Law Enforcement agency you've been talking
to in regard to Stephen Murphy, (NCIS?) to report a
possible incidence of false ID usage of the SSN,
preferably getting the result of their enquiries in
writing. Then, if you ever have to go before a Judge
to assert that Stephen Murphy is believed to be
deceased, and the Judge happens to ask if his SSN
has been active, you'll be able to produce a document
from LE that shows that while the SSN has been used
since 1974, at least LE has determined that the person
who used the SSN is NOT your Stephen Murphy.

It was clear to me that both statements could, in fact, be true.

Have you had any communication directly with the Social Security Administration?

I cannot imagine any scenario that they have not dealt with.

@Snoangel26, I've spent the entire day today reading through your dad's thread here. It's heartbreaking, but your perseverance is inspirational.

Reference the SSN that you got off a military document, it may be possible that it contained a typo or that the PI firm that ran it for you and advised it was 'in use by someone alive' may have typoed in their own search.

I say this because you've stated that the detective you've been in contact with knows your dad's SSN and has advised that your dad's SSN has not been used (in years at least) and that would directly contradict what this PI firm stated. I'd trust a detective above a PI firm at this point.

Might I suggest that your most economical means of 'verifying' would be to email the detective once again. Let him know that you received a military record for your dad with SSN #### on it (let him/her know what that number you got is), and that you had it run by a 3rd party who advised you it was in use by a living individual.

That detective is either going to come back and tell you that the number you have is wrong or is going to dive into WHY another individual is utilizing your dad's assigned number. It would certainly be relevent to that detective in your Dad's Missing Person Investigation.

Just my suggestion from afar. I wish you peace, success and hope in finding out answers.
Not to conflict but it's possible since the detective is not working on an active case involving this man that he said that just to make it easier. I still think we could try to run a background check and see what happens. I would be happy to do it

Not to conflict but it's possible since the detective is not working on an active case involving this man that he said that just to make it easier. I still think we could try to run a background check and see what happens. I would be happy to do it
Yes, but a person is now on NAMUS --- officially MISSING. And, officially reported missing.

If that Missing Person Investigation is NOT active, it certainly WOULD BE if it turns out some living person is currently using that missing individual's SSN.

That's HUGE. And, important to any investigator of a missing person. The authorities need to be advised of what she was told because if it turns out to be true, then there actually IS grounds for investigation into SSN Fraud at the very least (whether it be a new user of the SSN or whether that number was fraudulently obtained since the get-go).

If you don't pass the info to investigators for them to actually investigate ... ... ... of course it will never be an active 'investigation'. I don't think that is what @Snoangel26 is after here. She wants some answers. She wants some investigation by the proper authorities.

Last edited:
Yes, but a person is now on NAMUS --- officially MISSING. And, officially reported missing.

If that Missing Person Investigation is NOT active, it certainly WOULD BE if it turns out some living person is currently using that missing individual's SSN.

That's HUGE. And, important to any investigator of a missing person. The authorities need to be advised of what she was told because if it turns out to be true, then there actually IS grounds for investigation into SSN Fraud at the very least (whether it be a new user of the SSN or whether that number was fraudulently obtained since the get-go).

If you don't pass the info to investigators for them to actually investigate ... ... ... of course it will never be an active 'investigation'. I don't think that is what @Snoangel26 is after here. She wants some answers. She wants some investigation by the proper authorities.
Of course. My point is detectives word probably shouldn't be 100 percent guaranteed

Even a landlord check might turn up something?

IDK any more, our dear @Snoangel26 has tried everything we can think of & more.

Social Security seems to be a good path -- if Mr. Murphy's SSN was used, Social Security should be highly ivested in figuring out who, what, where, when, and why.

jmho ymmv lrr

I emailed the detective waiting for response from him. I'll let all know what his response is

It was clear to me that both statements could, in fact, be true.

Have you had any communication directly with the Social Security Administration?

I cannot imagine any scenario that they have not dealt with.
I talked with SSA once they couldn't tell me anything. I haven't contacted them since I recieved this news

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I was wondering: do your Ancestry DNA results confirm you are genetically related to Steve’s extended family? (It seems like yes from the overall thread, I’m mostly just checking my own reading comprehension.)

Also, are there any very close paternal-side matches you cannot identify?
That's correct

Have you sent a copy of the military paperwork to the detective? If not, maybe you could say “I found this. Does this data (SSN) match with what’s in your files?” The detective may or may not bite, but it seems worth a try.
Another thought I had - although a little far fetched - could both the detective and the PI be correct? One way that could be true is if your dad was using some kind of fake ID during his time in the military, and the man whose SSN he was using is, in fact, still alive.

Have you been able to speak to the close paternal matches you cannot conclusively identify? (And how close are they? Please free to not answer or to DM for privacy’s sake.)
They are 4th cousins out. They were able to give some glimpse into my great grandparents. Honestly I believe this family has always been scattered, not really close.

I'm fascinated by this case, in awe of you, Snoangel, and very impressed with all the hundreds and thousands of hours that many of you have put into this case doing research! Hats off!!!!

I only came across it yesterday (trying to get back to WS!) and I've been reading every word!!!!

I only have one "backward" thought. Sno, if he was living and wanted to find YOU - would that be fairly easy? Would he be able to find his family, would they be able (willing??) to lead him to you? Could he find you by your name?

I was thinking about those many sites on FB where people are looking for children they have lost touch with, etc.. thinking, on the off chance, he was looking for you - could he find YOU? (Even if he did not want to go through his family?)

Probably a silly idea.... Much love and luck to you. HUGS!!!

I'm fascinated by this case, in awe of you, Snoangel, and very impressed with all the hundreds and thousands of hours that many of you have put into this case doing research! Hats off!!!!

I only came across it yesterday (trying to get back to WS!) and I've been reading every word!!!!

I only have one "backward" thought. Sno, if he was living and wanted to find YOU - would that be fairly easy? Would he be able to find his family, would they be able (willing??) to lead him to you? Could he find you by your name?

I was thinking about those many sites on FB where people are looking for children they have lost touch with, etc.. thinking, on the off chance, he was looking for you - could he find YOU? (Even if he did not want to go through his family?)

Probably a silly idea.... Much love and luck to you. HUGS!!!
If he contacted his sibling they have my address and phone number. One of them has health issues, one was a baby when he disappeared and the other was born 3 years after. His only living relative on his father's side is in his 80's. I'm sure if he googles my name it will come up with my married name as well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back