OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

I'm fascinated by this case, in awe of you, Snoangel, and very impressed with all the hundreds and thousands of hours that many of you have put into this case doing research! Hats off!!!!

I only came across it yesterday (trying to get back to WS!) and I've been reading every word!!!!

I only have one "backward" thought. Sno, if he was living and wanted to find YOU - would that be fairly easy? Would he be able to find his family, would they be able (willing??) to lead him to you? Could he find you by your name?

I was thinking about those many sites on FB where people are looking for children they have lost touch with, etc.. thinking, on the off chance, he was looking for you - could he find YOU? (Even if he did not want to go through his family?)

Probably a silly idea.... Much love and luck to you. HUGS!!!
If he contacted his sibling they have my address and phone number. One of them has health issues, one was a baby when he disappeared and the other was born 3 years after. His only living relative on his father's side is in his 80's. I'm sure if he googles my name it will come up with my married name as well.

I recieved a response from the detective. He doesn't have any updates. He also told me that when their analysis ran the SSN it came back negative thru multiple databases. How can the detective come up negative but a PI come back with different name? I'm confused and lost now.

I recieved a response from the detective. He doesn't have any updates. He also told me that when their analysis ran the SSN it came back negative thru multiple databases. How can the detective come up negative but a PI come back with different name? I'm confused and lost now.

imho the PI wa$ intere$ted in your wallet....

Sadly.

Hang on, we're pulling for you!

jmho ymmv lrr

My guess is that the PI is lying in the hope of getting you to pay him money.

You may have already done this but I would try to reach out to older people in the community he grew up in whether that’s a small town, a church community, a school district. People his age or older who may have at least heard rumors.

If he went missing while still actively serving in the military, there must be some record there too. I think you did find that stuff though if I remember correctly. People who served with him might still be around and might have at least a lead for you to check out.

One thing is, think about how to best reach people of his age and general area. Which form of media do they use most?

I think this will require some outside the box thinking to get his name and face out there to people who may have known him but IMO that might be your best bet at this point.

You may have already done this but I would try to reach out to older people in the community he grew up in whether that’s a small town, a church community, a school district. People his age or older who may have at least heard rumors.

If he went missing while still actively serving in the military, there must be some record there too. I think you did find that stuff though if I remember correctly. People who served with him might still be around and might have at least a lead for you to check out.

One thing is, think about how to best reach people of his age and general area. Which form of media do they use most?

I think this will require some outside the box thinking to get his name and face out there to people who may have known him but IMO that might be your best bet at this point.

Reading the thread from the beginning will help you see the scope of Snoangel's quest.

A very thorough researcher, our Snoangel!

jmho ymmv lrr

Perhaps you have already done this, but have you checked yearbooks? Maybe that will give you a starting point. I'm not exactly sure how useful they might be, but it might find you classmates.

Perhaps you have already done this, but have you checked yearbooks? Maybe that will give you a starting point. I'm not exactly sure how useful they might be, but it might find you classmates.
Will Rogers was a pretty big high school. It would be difficult to guess who might be his friends from all those kids.

Reading the thread from the beginning will help you see the scope of Snoangel's quest.

A very thorough researcher, our Snoangel!

jmho ymmv lrr
I did binge the whole thread one night when I couldn’t sleep a few months ago. Which is probably why my memory of the details isn’t great lol. But snoangel’s search definitely pulled me in. I know she’s done a lot, I just couldn’t remember exactly what. If there are any possible avenues that haven’t been tried yet they might be worth a shot. I realized though that Stephen would be younger than I was thinking. I was thinking at first like sending letters to people who knew him through snail mail might help or even like getting his picture out there in the area where he used to live in a way other than online. But I bet a lot of people his age would be online so that might not be as much of an issue as I was thinking at first.

I have no clue.

Have you found their marriage license? Do you know who signed as witnesses?

If a church wedding, the congregation or denomination records might tell you a little more about their friends/family?

(Now you're likely to tell me they were married at the courthouse, with clerks as witnesses & not a big help....)

Best, Laughing

Do you know who her closest friends were in those days?
That's not a bad idea...
Was the family opposed to her relationship with your dad?
I have discovered in my later years, that my good friends from way back remembered things and events soooo much differently than I did
If some really old friend of your mom's knew ANYTHING more about Steve and HIS friends...well....
I know it's a real stretch...cause you have said your mom didn't stay in touch with older connections

Have you found their marriage license? Do you know who signed as witnesses?

If a church wedding, the congregation or denomination records might tell you a little more about their friends/family?

(Now you're likely to tell me they were married at the courthouse, with clerks as witnesses & not a big help....)

Best, Laughing
I do have copy of marriage license. They were married at courthouse with his mother and step father as witnesses. And they are both deceased.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back