GUILTY OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

I find it deliciously ironic that NB will likely spend the rest of her days at Coffee Creek, when she ruined her finances (among other things) with a $3,000/year Starbucks habit. She had at least 2 Starbucks a day....

Monday, June 13th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial began on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22, but will go longer). Prosecutors rested their case on 4/21/22. Defense started their case on 4/27/22 & then on 5/2/22. Defense rested their case on 5/18/22. State rested their rebuttal case on 5/19/22. Defense started their sur rebuttal case on 5/19/22. Defense rested their sur rebuttal case on 5/20/22. Closing arguments on 5/23/22 & Jury started deliberations: ~6 ½ hours (calculated: started ~10:30am to 5pm-ate lunch while deliberating). 5/24/22 deliberations: ~ 3 hours. Total deliberations: 9 ½ hours.
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-27 & Verdict Watch (Day 1) (4/4 to 5/24/22) & 5/13/22 reference post #385 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-3-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-19

5/25/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 28, Verdict Watch (Day 2): Brophy found GUILTY of 2nd degree murder. "Yes" to the two follow up questions on the Jury instructions & verdict form:
1 - During the commission of a felony, defendant caused or threaten the use of a firearm?
2- During the commission of a felony, defendant and victim were married during the commission of this felony?
for more info see post #396 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-2-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-20
Sentencing hearing on 6/13/22 @ 9am.

This story was covered on Dateline on Friday. I liked that they focused a lot on the victim and sharing who he was, it wasn't all focused on Nancy. I still don't understand her motive because she claimed he was worth ($$) more to her alive than dead. Definitely believe she did it though.

Phenomenal impact statement by Dan's son:
Nancy Brophy sentenced to life in prison for murder
06/13/22 6:13 PM ET
[...]
The final impact statement came from Nathaniel Stillwater, Daniel Brophy’s son. He emphasized that his father provided so much for Crampton Brophy and was her biggest supporter, all while she was plotting to kill him.
“You are a monster and I’m ashamed that I have to admit to my children that people like you walk among us undetected,” Stillwater said. “You lived in the shadow of a great human being.”
[...]

That was a great victim impact statement by Stillwater!

And there is a restitution hearing on 8/12/22 @ 1:30pm.

Yes, fabulous victim statement by Nathaniel.
Also, he mentioned that NB had ripped off her employees's wages and tax deposits (this would have been around 2000). I'm sure there were a lot of other crimes NB committed, for instance, these hints:

--although she claimed she was married and took the Brophy name, in fact, she wasn't married to DB until shortly before she murdered him. Defense persisted in addressing her as though she was a long time wife.
--NB claims on her professional website that it took her 4 1/2 years to convince DB to marry her; actually, the amount was more like 24 years.
--NB filed taxes as married; this would have allowed her to blend DB's income with her business losses
--as not-a-wife, NB could have been kicked out of Dan's life with nothing.
--NB was not on the deed to the house until 2017-2018, per the prosecution witness who was a developer. NB said so on the stand as well. As did DB's mother.
--at the bond hearing in 2020 (wherein NB said she would assuredly die of COVID and should therefore be released to a bed and breakfast with hired help), the State said NB had committed crimes in jail. This info was put under seal.
--there seems to have been an issue with her insurance commission clawbacks; this topic was a dicey moment in the cross of a niece, during which NB was signaling answers
--the prosecutor suggested in closing that NB might have tried to collect on 2 insurance policies from Mutual of Omaha that had expired.
--NB changed a beneficiary on one of DB's insurance policies to herself instead of DB's son; this was in her cross
--NB pretended she was a writer; she had only ever had an essay published, in 2005, per her cross. She self-published a handful of short "romantic suspense" novels.

Speculation
--At his death, DB had a slice on his hand which had happened earlier in the week. The medical examiner mentioned this. NB had an elaborate story for this at her death notification interview with LE. Her story was that a shower door had shattered.
--some years back, there was a fire in the house which destroyed DB's kitchen, purportedly from faulty wiring in the basement.

[This post will get timed out unless I close and edit....]

Last edited:
Yes, fabulous victim statement by Nathaniel.
Also, he mentioned that NB had ripped off her employees's wages and tax deposits (this would have been around 2000). I'm sure there were a lot of other crimes NB committed, for instance, these hints:

--although she claimed she was married and took the Brophy name, in fact, she wasn't married to DB until shortly before she murdered him. Defense persisted in addressing her as though she was a long time wife.
--NB claims on her professional website that it took her 4 1/2 years to convince DB to marry her; actually, the amount was more like 24 years.
--NB filed taxes as married; this would have allowed her to blend DB's income with her business losses
--as not-a-wife, NB could have been kicked out of Dan's life with nothing.
--NB was not on the deed to the house until 2017-2018, per the prosecution witness who was a developer. NB said so on the stand as well. As did DB's mother.
--at the bond hearing in 2020 (wherein NB said she would assuredly die of COVID and should therefore be released to a bed and breakfast with hired help), the State said NB had committed crimes in jail. This info was put under seal.
--there seems to have been an issue with her insurance commission clawbacks; this topic was a dicey moment in the cross of a niece, during which NB was signaling answers
--the prosecutor suggested in closing that NB might have tried to collect on 2 insurance policies from Mutual of Omaha that had expired.
--NB changed a beneficiary on one of DB's insurance policies to herself instead of DB's son; this was in her cross
--NB pretended she was a writer; she had only ever had an essay published, in 2005, per her cross. She self-published a handful of short "romantic suspense" novels.

Speculation
--At his death, DB had a slice on his hand which had happened earlier in the week. The medical examiner mentioned this. NB had an elaborate story for this at her death notification interview with LE. Her story was that a shower door had shattered.
--some years back, there was a fire in the house which destroyed DB's kitchen, purportedly from faulty wiring in the basement.

[This post will get timed out unless I close and edit....]
To tidy up some sources:

Best presentation of the bond hearing. Note: I have been unable to re-find the source for "per the prosecutor, NB committed crimes in jail".

The information on the house fire came from NB.

Marriage date (this article also has the ultimate example of duper's delight in a photo): Spotlight shines on Oregon romance novelist accused of killing chef husband: Who is Nancy Crampton Brophy?

To tidy up some sources:

Best presentation of the bond hearing. Note: I have been unable to re-find the source for "per the prosecutor, NB committed crimes in jail".

The information on the house fire came from NB.

Marriage date (this article also has the ultimate example of duper's delight in a photo): Spotlight shines on Oregon romance novelist accused of killing chef husband: Who is Nancy Crampton Brophy?
The source for the "crimes while in jail" is: DA: Novelist continues criminal behavior in custody

So tantalizing....

Argh!! I get:

This content is not available in your country/region.​

Any synopsis - 10% of article - maybe? TIA! :)

You didn't miss much, Niner! Here ya go!

In a court hearing Monday, Multnomah County prosecutors told the judge they believe the 68-year-old novelist “is possibly being visited by individuals that are assisting her in that ongoing criminal behavior. The state should have every right and ability to know who is visiting Ms. Crampton-Brophy for that fact.”

Her lawyers asked the judge to seal her jail visitor log.

The judge listened to the arguments and will make a ruling within 2 weeks.

- Still no mention of exactly what that "ongoing criminal behavior" is/was.

In a court hearing Monday, Multnomah County prosecutors told the judge they believe the 68-year-old novelist “is possibly being visited by individuals that are assisting her in that ongoing criminal behavior. The state should have every right and ability to know who is visiting Ms. Crampton-Brophy for that fact.”

Thanks! A member here sent me the whole article! :D

What on earth could this "criminal behaviour" while in prison be? I get that a mobster can still control his mob from jail, take out a "contract" on someone, maybe all sorts of things. But this doesn't fit a little old lady - I suppose she could just possibly be blackmailing people (maybe to make them buy her books? ha ha!) Any other ideas?

What on earth could this "criminal behaviour" while in prison be? I get that a mobster can still control his mob from jail, take out a "contract" on someone, maybe all sorts of things. But this doesn't fit a little old lady - I suppose she could just possibly be blackmailing people (maybe to make them buy her books? ha ha!) Any other ideas?
I'm thinking the whole murder and everything doesn't comport with being an old lady. She was hoping this would prevent her from being convicted.

And I really don't have a clue about why she would be colluding with a visitor. It was also clear from the state's case that they listen in on inmate conversations with outsiders (viz. the gross, sneering, phone conversation with a niece about the "little girls" who tried to keep DB alive), so I'm not sure exactly why it makes any difference to seal the visitor logs (presumably from State scrutiny).

I would guess NB was scheming to get money/keep money/hide money while she was in jail. Probably fraud..... I'm sure she thought she was going to get off scot free and would need money to afford her lifestyle.

Scheming to get money for commissary?

Alternatively, maybe she had a revenge killing in mind?

Perhaps she wanted someone to lie on the stand, although this might not be a crime unless it was acted on?

I am soooo curious.

Last edited:

It might be out of TOS to make suggestions about who the "assisting visitors" might be.

There are hints in the trial that NB has been on the shady side of the law for at least 20 years. Her son-in-law mentioned her ripping off employees in the early 2000's during his victim statement.

I wonder if she was forging signatures?

How about sneaking in a prohibited device?

Last edited:
I'm really fascinated by how NB got away with her behavior all these years. Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie. Often an elaborate story to cover up some other piece of information. She floods you with word salad. She never answers questions exactly. If she says something outrageous, she says right after something dismissive about it, like "Silly me"; this is gaslighting: she can say something and not say it at the same time.

She seethes with rage. She is a veritable mishmash of sneering while dupers' delighting. And that cackle with one half of her mouth agape...

Her ex- was notably not involved in this trial. He is LE. I wonder what the story was there. The prosecutor does seem to have had contact with him, though, since he had a story about how Nancy wouldn't allow his issue-weapon in the house.

I would really love to find out so much more about Nancy, from people who knew her at every stage of her life. I doubt if we will ever hear the truth from her. Best friends? Old boyfriends? Teachers? Did she really attend the University of Houston? It's pretty hard to get into. Did Dan actually believe they were married, but she hadn't sent in the paperwork? Did that benefit her in some way? If Nancy ever writes an absolutely truthful autobiography, I for one will be queuing up to buy it. She might finally have a best-seller! OTOH, it would probably just be more lies :(

I would really love to find out so much more about Nancy, from people who knew her at every stage of her life. I doubt if we will ever hear the truth from her. Best friends? Old boyfriends? Teachers? Did she really attend the University of Houston? It's pretty hard to get into. Did Dan actually believe they were married, but she hadn't sent in the paperwork? Did that benefit her in some way? If Nancy ever writes an absolutely truthful autobiography, I for one will be queuing up to buy it. She might finally have a best-seller! OTOH, it would probably just be more lies :(
Some answers:

Marriage: yes, it benefited NB hugely. She was able to file her taxes jointly and write business losses (which she said on the stand were substantial after her catering company bit the dust) and her pitiful insurance commissions against DB's salary. With interest and penalties, this would have been huge...I'm guessing far into 6 figures. The irony: NB's fraud liability was way larger than AJ's (the cellie), even though defense was hell bent on vilifying AJ for fraud.

AFAIK, there wasn't a matter of DB thinking they were married and NB not sending in the paperwork. You actually have to go to the clerk's office. The reason I know this is that back in the day, I had to make a business visit to an OR county clerk's office with my business partner. We got to the counter, and the clerk said, "You wanna get married? Sit down." lol So, yeah, it wasn't possible for DB to believe they were married if he'd never gone to the county clerk with NB.

In her professional website and on her Amazon biography, NB says it took her 4 1/2 years to convince DB to marry her. So, clearly she was into the marriage thing. It actually took something like 24 years.

DB's so said on the stand that NB had defrauded her employees of SS and wages.

NB's ex was a police officer. She wouldn't allow him to bring his weapon into the house. Per prosecution in cross and in closing statements. It's interesting to me that he wasn't otherwise a feature in this trial.

Unlikely NB is writing a book. She would not be able to profit from it AFAIK because of the murder conviction, and as we know from trial, she's all about money. Plus, she can't write to save her life, and has only ever published one essay, and that was in 2005, per her testimony in cross. Anything else was self-published. She called herself a "writer", but it was all a scam; IMO she like the idea of being a writer.

How do I know NB can't write? I looked at her professional website.

NB claimed on the stand she could "write whole books in her head" (viz. her cross). Ummmmm....if it's all in your head, you're not a writer. A writer actually writes.

NB comes from a family of basically all attorneys. She verified this on the stand, and the prosecutor brought it up more than once (e.g. in DB's son's direct, cross of NB's nieces, cross of NB). They are criminal defense attorneys and ambulance chasers (this, BTW, is more circumstantial evidence that she was familiar with insurance death benefits, accidental death, worker's comp, etc., all issues in DB's murder).

The TX cousin and niece tried to pedal fast past this, but they hadn't seen or communicated with NB for a long time before the murder. In one case, it was 10 years or something (cross of the cousin).

All in all, though, the problem with "knowing" anything about NB's life if it's her talking about it: there's no telling what the truth is. The trial had DAYS of this stuff in her direct and cross. Her own expert psychology witness said NB speaks about herself in glowing terms and won't take any accountability. And then, from the cross, it became clear that she can't speak truth. This was true in the death notification, too. She volunteered stories anticipating what she would have to defend herself against. This included a bathroom trip into OCI (likely a dry run, since it was same time and day as the murder), the story about the gun, the chronology of her morning....

If NB hadn't been convicted of murder, IMO prosecutors had other items to charge her with: the tax fraud would have been easy pickings. There was also the piece we discussed just a few posts ^^^ about how she was committing crimes behind bars.

The whole presentation of NB on the stand made me wonder what other nefariousness she might have been involved in over the decades....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
-nyx-
Back