OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inviting outside Contact:

“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65798"]Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

:Welcome-12-june:
I lay some blame at the school. I do not doubt teachers and staff members are all dedicated educators but the fact remains they failed to follow protocol. And they knew they didn't have an automatic dialing system in place for absenteeism. High Schoolers skip all the time, but this is an elementary school. From homeroom teacher (be it substitute or not), to the rest of his classes, none of his teachers notified anybody except just marking him for being absent that day. Lastly they shouldn't even have an automatic dialing system, it should be a real live person calling the parents anyways...

I'm giving the SM the benefit of the doubt. I'm following the 'Forensic Astrology' thread with curiousity. How come there isn't a 'Forensic Psychic' thread???

And where's my official Websleuths welcome anyhoo? I registered because I got sick and tired of personal attacks, posts getting deleted at local newspaper & tv website postings. I need a hug! :eek:

:dance::dance::Welcome-12-june::dance::dance:

Come in, sit down, relax, converse. The days are not always just like this. Sometimes they're even worse.

Glad to have you here.....Blessings

I agree, Bee. I think that the sheriff may have been so somber today because some kind of evidence was found this morning.

JMO

I wish I was as confident.

I think the reason why the sheriff was so somber today is they have looked everywhere they know to look for Kyron and 9 days later they are no closer to finding him when they first started out. The ordeal has to be taking its toll on LE too.

I believe he did a great investigation and he had to rule out that Kyron did not leave on his own accord. He made sure he looked and kept looking to find an alive Kyron. Now he knows he is not there.....dead or alive. So it advances his investigation to a criminal case but I am not sure they have any suspect in mind. They may have a description given to them by the last person to see Kyron at the school if this person saw another person close by Kyron.

So today his investigation takes another route. One he really hoped he wouldn't have to open but he knows if Kyron is not in the area of the school then someone took him away from his safety zone.

IMO

They do have an auto dialing system. They used it to alert parents that Kyron was missing and to establish appointments for Sunday interviews. My guess is that the teacher thought that Kyron had disappeared with no explanation, she would have panicked and calls would have ensued.

Let me ask you this... if the person responsible for the child told the teacher that the child had an appointment, then maybe the school would not have done anything wrong, do you think? I don't think calls would be made home for excused absences, or explained absences.

ETA: WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS!!!

It wasn't the school's policy to call home for any absence, excused or unexcused. They just marked the child absent. Kyron was not in the classrom at roll call, was marked absent, and the day went on. That's how it was done everyday at that school. They never called home for absences because they'd never had a "truancy" problem, according to the superintendent.

Having said that, this day was different. Kyron had been in the classroom earlier in the morning, but was absent later at official roll call. The teacher marked him absent and moved on. One has to wonder why. If the teacher saw him earlier, one would think she'd be puzzled not to see him later - unless she didn't expect to see him later. KWIM?

As to the "isolated event" remark; it led me to believe it was not a pedophile as we know they cannot be rehabilitated and will strike again when possible. That's what confuses me.

Respectfully, I disagree that pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated. FBI statistics show that the recidivism rate for pedophiles is actually the same or lower than that for other crimes.

In this case, the context in which I recall LE saying that this was an isolated incident was in relation to questions about the other students returning to the school. In that sense, LE is almost overwhelmingly guaranteed to be correct; I cannot recall nor can I find a single case of a child being abducted from inside an elementary school and then having a repeat incident at the same school within 2-4 weeks (which would cover the remainder of the school year).

Right now, that school is probably the safest place for children in the USA. It is surrounded by LEOs who are on the lookout for any sort of suspicious activity. If my child went to that school, I wouldn't automatically keep my child at home. They would be safer in that school than they would be buckled into their child safety seats in my vehicle.

How much are you willing to pay for that?

I know my local school doesn't have an automated dialler system.

We don't either. But in our schools (except the high school - which is automated), the school nurse personally calls every home of every child absent. Parents are also urged to call her and leave a message on her voice mail instead of waiting for her phone call.

There is no extra cost involved. We are paying her to be there anyway.

Video cameras? I think worth the cost.

Our elementary schools even have human greeters. Yup. Live, in the flesh, mom-like persons at the (buzz-in) door with the student/visitor sign-in/sign-out sheet. The greeter sees the person coming in the door and the video camera is on a TV in the main office so everyone there sees who is coming through the door as well. All other doors to the building are locked. All staff have visible photo ID.

A calling system doesn't have to cost anything at all, it is an easy task for parent volunteers or even older students who are office aides.

You are absolutely correct. Setting up a calling system is a piece of cake with every little overhead.

Well that is even scarier imo.

In the Greone case they thought it was an isolated incident too and whomever had murdered the family and kidnapped Shasta and Dylan was probably by someone known to them.

Boy did they ever get that wrong! Dylan and Shasta both were with a sick and sadistic pedophile monster from hell whom they didn't know.

IMO

It sure is.
The only hope I have had is little man wandered off. My heart breaks for his family.

jmho

I hope it is okay that I post this...

I am in the camp that has kept quiet b/c of what I think is *likely* to have happened - I have two different scenarios. With that being said, I'm not sure that I would like to be able to freely say in these forums everything that I am thinking. The main reason is this: I was one of the ones who just KNEW that little Somer had fallen victim to a family member. Even now with the actual culprit in custody, my intellect knows the truth but my gut can't shake my original thought about family. Mostly b/c of things I learned about certain people that cast them in a questionable light. And countless people knew details about their personal life that I don't think anyone would want known to the public. Because much of it is different that my own values and lifestyle, I took it as evidence that they must be "bad" and involved in Somer's disappearance. In the end, they were all innocent. But because of what I know about their private lives, I now have to remind myself of that when I think of them: they're innocent.

I still have my hunches here, and am sleuthing in private. And I'm okay with that. I think it's important not to permanently imprint into people brains (and the internet) that someone is guilty of something as serious as kidnapping and/or murder. Even if innocent, being guilty in the eyes of the public can have devastating consequences on someone's life.

Hope this makes sense.

I think this was also done in the Husted case. It was characterized as a targeted isolated case and the members of the community were told to be careful, but they did not feel there was a threat.
However, while they have caught the murderer, thank God, they still cannot link him to the Husteds as far as I know. IOW, it was a robbery and he killed the pregnant mother,the father and the young kids were witness to parts of it.
IMO, that neighborhood should have been on high alert. I often wonder if it is mass hysteria they are trying to head off? or what goes into those types of determinations.

You are absolutely correct. For so long as we followed that case we took LE at their word and thought the family had been targeted by someone they knew. It did not turnout to be the case at all.

I do think it is often done to calm the community's anxiety.

IMO

thank you and everyone for the welcome and the hugs! :blushingsmiley:

here's an early oregonlive.com [click for source] story published June 6, 2010:

"Until now, Skyline School officials did not generally call home concerning absences, said Portland schools spokesman Matt Shelby.

"It's a really small school," Shelby said. "They know their students and usually they know the reason for the absence."

Personal calls for parental notification will be used until the automated system is in place at Skyline, which will likely take about a week, Smith said.

Currently, 37 out of 57 elementary and K-8 schools in the district use the dialing system, which is already in use at all of the district's middle and high schools.

Shelby said the automated dialer system was first primarily used for truancy, which typically is not a significant problem at elementary and K-8 schools."
thanks for looking that up :)

This article--Kyron Horman Search May Have Suffered From Confluence of Delays--resulted in this response from the owner of the building where the pressers have been held.

4697517416_5307056cc9.jpg

(Image credit: Williamette Weekly)

Maybe it's just me... but I didn't see anything critical of law enforcement in the Oregonian article. Anyone else?

Respectfully, I disagree that pedophiles cannot be rehabilitated. FBI statistics show that the recidivism rate for pedophiles is actually the same or lower than that for other crimes.

Respectfully snipped by me...

but recidivism statistics are based on criminals being caught for subsequent offenses.

Kyron’s Case and the Blame Game

Prior to recently, the case really didn’t center on the family. However now many people – perhaps rightly so, perhaps wrongly so – are focusing their skepticism on the stepmother. For instance, a photograph of Kyron was taken just before he went missing.

On the other hand, the photograph was taken at a science fair. It’s not that unheard of for parents to take pictures of their children at these types of events.....

If taking photos of your own kids at school events is considered suspicious activity, I would have been locked up years ago. ;)

Well that is even scarier imo.

In the Greone case they thought it was an isolated incident too and whomever had murdered the family and kidnapped Shasta and Dylan was probably by someone known to them.

Boy did they ever get that wrong! Dylan and Shasta both were with a sick and sadistic pedophile monster from hell whom they didn't know.

IMO

Authorities also spent the first week searching the property around the home the Groene kids disappeared from, before moving on. Their father was also suspected of being involved.

I hope very much that no one like that...monster...got anywhere near Kyron.

It is my understanding that they are stating theories/opinions, and some of those theories/opinions cannot be posted due to TOS. Hope that helped :).
If that includes an accusation against the family you would be correct.

You can, however, feel free to post you opinion on events and infomration and more. As you can see plenty of people are posting theories surrounding the possibility that the family is responsible and they are doing a great job of making there opinions known without crossing the line.

What we are trying to do is show a modicum of respect for parents that were not considered suspects per early news reports. if that changes or proves to reported inaccurately we will absolutely open it up for more liberal discussion. We roll with LE and MSM, and try to follow the infomration revealed.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/08/mystery-in-oregon/

As for Kyron's mom and dad, investigators say they're not treating them as suspects. His parents are divorced--

ETA: to clarify I do not know if the above quoted statement is accurate but we have not heard anything to the contrary at this point .

It was revealed early on the school doesn't have an auto-dialing system for absentees. I saw where there was a reverse 911 call that went out to alert locals of his disappearance, that would have come from LE; as far as calls to parents for interviews, were those made through the school itself or the main district office?

My daughters school has an alert notification system that sends out messages en masse for things like hurricane closings, weather emergencies, and things like that. It does not have the capability to send individual calls. The secretary manually calls for unexcused absences.

I think that is the system the school used to alert Kyron's disappearance. I recall a sort of apology for calling parents of a different school that night, so I think they used the school's system. It sounds like some of the elementary schools are not yet set up for individual auto-dial (like my daughter's school).

We don't either. But in our schools (except the high school - which is automated), the school nurse personally calls every home of every child absent. Parents are also urged to call her and leave a message on her voice mail instead of waiting for her phone call.

There is no extra cost involved. We are paying her to be there anyway.

Video cameras? I think worth the cost.

Our elementary schools even have human greeters. Yup. Live, in the flesh, mom-like persons at the (buzz-in) door with the student/visitor sign-in/sign-out sheet. The greeter sees the person coming in the door and the video camera is on a TV in the main office so everyone there sees who is coming through the door as well. All other doors to the building are locked. All staff have visible photo ID.

LOVE the procedures of your school and am going to recommend a few to ours. I also agree that safety is worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiRi224