OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up this morning not at all as sure as I was last night that the change in the tone of the investigation indicates that LE has new information or a suspect. Yesterday, I felt certain of that, due to the seemingly abrupt manner in which they shut down the search. But now, I'm doubtful.

This change could well be a "natural progression" in that they searched the areas where they believed Kyron could have gone on foot and when they could not find a trace of him, they decided they had to move on. It probably made no sense to LE to continue to consider that he wandered away; he should have made his way out into the open at some point, or they would/should have discovered his body. I also believe they have always considered all options from the start and have investigated accordingly.

But somehow, seeing the searchers sent home and the reward posted, gives me a feeling of dread that reminds me of Haleigh Cummings' case, in some ways. I am sure that when that search was called off, no one could imagine that 16 months later, we still would not know what happened to her. The only reason that case is still so much in the news is due to the arrests and court dates of some of the adults close to the case. Otherwise, we probably would not be hearing much of anything at all.

I hope that LE does have a suspect; if not, we may see a few more press conferences in the immediate future, followed by a whole lot of silence. I would hate to see this case turn into one where I just check in once in a while to see if there is anything new; before you know it, months have passed, and then a year.

My best hope is that LE proves me wrong and today's PC is to announce an arrest.

Question:

Where were they searching when the LE announced they would have this "wrapped up" by the end of the week?

Oh that's right! LE did say they'd have the initial search wrapped up by the end of the week, and that's exactly what they did. I'd forgotten they'd said that.

I know there was a Black Hawk helicopter flying low over Sauvie Island. I'm assuming they were taking scans of the area to be sent to be viewed and analyzed. Does anyone know how long it takes to analyze such images?

Probably to protect them because of the vehement sentiment against the stepmother.

Yes, you're probably right. And then it would make sense for LE to stay at the house a while longer. Their address is public, and everyone knows what SM looks like now. They probably need to protect the family now, even at home. :( Taking valuable LE away from the case.

but we do know why it is now a criminal investigation. LE said because it it the natural progression in a case like this and, as the SAR leader said, they now know where Kyron is not (by the school from wondering off and getting lost).

I'm going to guess that it's because yesterday was the deadline they determined that Kyron could have survived on his own if he were on his own (wandered off), and that means he would at this point have to
1) have wandered off and now be deceased,
2) be with someone and alive, and him being with all persons who could legally have him has now been ruled out, or
3) have met with foul play.

I don't think there are any other choices at this point.

:cow:

Hmm, the fact that they have LE staying at the house could indicate a ransom situation, but it could also just be procedure...

The secrecy of LE thus far does seem to point in the direction of LE having a POI, or perhaps knowing that the abductor knows Kyron:

C.W. Jensen, a former Portland police captain, has said the case is likely not a stranger-to-stranger abduction. He said it could be some time before authorities release any information about a suspect or a person of interest.

This may be a mystery, but does anyone know why there would be LE officers flanking the family on the Sunday PC, and not the Friday one?

I recall seeing an officer to the right of the SF and later, to the left of the father, on Friday's PC.

I guess the only thing that keeps going through my head is why would a perp pick a school to take a victim. I realize there are lots of kids, easy targets, etc...but why INSIDE the school? It seems to make very little sense.

Most stranger abductions are crimes of opportunity. This would have to have been planned (IMO). If it was planned ahead of time, why pick that venue? Why not wait until the kids were outside? at recess? walking home? I mean, most schools have adults popping in and out of hallways all the time: teachers, custodians, secretaries. It's not the "safest" place to snatch a child. You could get caught at any moment.

I'm just trying to get in the head of someone who would do this kind of thing....would they really pick the inside of school??? I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around that.

It happens...

PHILOMATH, Ore. -- A sex offender joined 30 Philomath High School students in art class -- and the school had no idea.

Steven Routley said he was a relative of one of the students, and he wanted to talk to the class about art.

Assistant Principal Jon Bartlow said Routley showed up without calling the teacher first. He stopped by the front office and signed in but with the wrong name. He signed in as "Mike Routley," a name he sometimes goes by. It's also a name KVAL News found on his Facebook page.

Routley started talking to the class, Barlow said. A few minutes into the speech Routley started offering the students free private lessons without the consent of their parents.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/82992827.html

The same could be said about this SO. Not all SO's MOA is the same - Perhaps some enjoy the added thrill and excitement of apprehending their victims in a high-risk situation. Maybe it gives them an added ego/intellect boost to be able to fool/out-smart school staff, or perhaps it makes them feel somehow justified and/or less responsible because those who should have known/noticed didn't... (a SO's possible thinking - not mine)
JMHO ~

Good morning!

Re: the suicidal man on I-84. This is just an observation, having lived in Portland most of my life, but there is a psychological "Great Wall" between East and West Portland. The divider is the Willamette River. I've lived on both sides of the river, and they could be different countries for how different the cultures are. My strong opinion is that whomever the perp is lives very close to the school, and if he/she became suicidal and fled, that person would go West, not East. JMHO

100% agree on the great divider of the "Willamette River" as weird as that sounds.

I know there was a Black Hawk helicopter flying low over Sauvie Island. I'm assuming they were taking scans of the area to be sent to be viewed and analyzed. Does anyone know how long it takes to analyze such images?

LE never said anything about taking scans from the Black Hawks; the only thing confirmed is that they were carrying SAR personnel, yes?

"Despite scaling back the search, Staton said the sheriff's office "won't cease in dedicating resources to finding Kyron."

"They don't believe he wandered off by himself," Jensen said. "That is oen reason why you see them kind of scaling back on the big search effort."

C.W. Jensen, a former Portland police captain, has said the case is likely not a stranger-to-stranger abduction. He said it could be some time before authorities release any information about a suspect or a person of interest.

Link to above story: http://www.kptv.com/news/23886542/detail.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyron-horman-search-now-criminal-investigation/story?id=10903721&page=3

"Kyron was last seen by his stepmother, walking toward his Skyline Elementary School classroom after he had proudly displayed his science fair project on tree frogs."

Yikes does this sound familiar?

The child didn't wander off by himself
Scaling back the searches
This case is not a stranger to stranger abduction
The child last seen with his step-mother.....

I am still waiting to post my theory and opinions on this one, but I have a few. :banghead:

This is where the Sheriff's office announces the press conferences. You can keep checking here to see if there will be a press conference today, but so far, only the media briefing at 11am has been announced:

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

Also on that page are such goodies as transcriptions of all the press conference statements, and if you look below each of them, in smaller font that's a lighter color and harder to notice, you'll see file attachments. These are additional LE documents, as well as additional pictures of Kyron.

It's a great information resource for those needing to catch up.

so the search is off? why is it listed as criminal now?

Yikes does this sound familiar?

The child didn't wander off by himself
Scaling back the searches
This case is not a stranger to stranger abduction
The child last seen with his step-mother.....

I am still waiting to post my theory and opinions on this one, but I have a few. :banghead:
It's important to note that the guy who said he thinks it's not a stranger abduction is not LE working on this case. He's just a former police captain giving his opinion.

Yes. Or to show solidarity between LE and the family.

IMO its things LE have said that makes people look at her in the first place. If they really think the parents/step parents are not involved they should 100% clear them and say so ...and stop acting so cryptic about everything :(

Having said that...........

Ted Bundy
Kenneth Bianchi
Westley Allan Dodd
Robert Yates
Gary Ridgeway
Robert Pickton

on the other hand........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics