OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
KaaBoom, I do not interpret the shooter's mother's reply to mean that open carry is the reason for the move from CA to OR. The post was about understanding how some people would be apprehensive about open carry and that it would not work in some states like CA.

How do you figure that? Perhaps you might re-read the post. She wrote, and I will quote (boldface mine) "I moved from So. Calif. to Oregon, from Southern Crime-a-mania to open carry."

She specifically wrote that she moved *to open carry*. Not to find a job, not to escape the heat...but *to open carry*. I think that is one of the craziest reasons to motivate someone to move that I've ever heard.

Interesting post thank you and others who have explained how it works -- at the end of the day its sad huh?

As a retired teacher in an elementary school, here is how it was. I remember Columbine. We had guest readers in the room reading to the kids and they came and told me the info,

After that, the principal met with the staff as there was a new law that all schools had to have lock down drills at least six times a year.

We were to examine our classrooms and look for a place to put the children where bullet trajectories could not reach the children through a window. We were to not bunch the kids together as bullets can go through them like butter. We were to try to find a wall that bullets could not penetrate, My windows were up above the radiators so I had to climb up and pull the shades .

I do not recall what I told the children as absolute silence had to be expected as well.

We had windows in the doors of our classrooms, but they were all covered now so no one could look in.

We got new schools built and they were all built to the National Standards for school buildings designed to deal with school shooters. Isn't that special!

I retired before the new school I would have worked in was completed so I do not know what the design entails except controlled access.

I was in the generation of kids who hid under their desks for nuclear attacks. We have a sister city with a city in Russia. The people there said they were terrified of us because they learned how horrible we were.

The days I was out on the playground and the lockdown was announced were always fun. No place to hide when out there, The teachers at Sandy Hook had just had a lock down practice, I believe.

How do you figure that? Perhaps you might re-read the post. She wrote, and I will quote (boldface mine) "I moved from So. Calif. to Oregon, from Southern Crime-a-mania to open carry."

She specifically wrote that she moved *to open carry*. Not to find a job, not to escape the heat...but *to open carry*. I think that is one of the craziest reasons to motivate someone to move that I've ever heard.

"when the mood strikes" is creepy on it's own. When the mood strikes, I will have a beer, not load up with powerful guns and walk out the door. This is def deranged. I'd like to know her motives for this twisted thinking.

Not only that, but she brought her Southern Crime-a-mania with her to Oregon. I hope they find something to charge her with, but I doubt they will even try. IMHO she is every bit as responsible for what happened to those people, as her son was. She created the monster. At very least I hope that the bad karma will catch up to her, and every day will be a living hell for her.

"when the mood strikes" is creepy on it's own. When the mood strikes, I will have a beer, not load up with powerful guns and walk out the door. This is def deranged. I'd like to know her motives for this twisted thinking.

These are the exact people who should not be able to have access to guns, <modsnip>

Not only that, but she brought her Southern Crime-a-mania with her to Oregon. I hope they find something to charge her with, but I doubt they will even try. IMHO she is every bit as responsible for what happened to those people, as her son was. She created the monster. At very least I hope that the bad karma will catch up to her, and every day will be a living hell for her.
I can't imagine a punishment worse than the one already inflicted upon her. "Living hell" is guaranteed. JMO

attachment.php

:goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar::goldstar:

Source ~ http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oregon-college-shooting-hero-chris-mintz-1.3255679

Attachments

• CQcIlTbWwAEqkob.jpg
    CQcIlTbWwAEqkob.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 198
I can't imagine a punishment worse than the one already inflicted upon her. "Living hell" is guaranteed. JMO

Unfortunately she sounds like she probably won't give herself as many sleepless nights over this as we would hope for. It seems like she's been rationalizing aberrant behavior in her son for a long time; just like Nancy Lanza did. She probably does the same with her own actions.

I can think of all kinds of ways I'd like to see her held accountable for creating this .

KaaBoom, I do not interpret the shooter's mother's reply to mean that open carry is the reason for the move from CA to OR. The post was about understanding how some people would be apprehensive about open carry and that it would not work in some states like CA.
<rbbm>

Actually, both are stated in the post.

I don't read it that way. I read it as two examples of where she was moving from and to.

<modsnip> Her comment says that she moved from a non open carry state to an open carry state, but does not state that is the primary reason for the move. She goes on to say that she moved from Southern Crime-a-mania to open carry. This indicates that the primary reason for her move was due to the high crime rate where she lived compared to where she had moved to, imo..

The post was actually about understanding how some people would be apprehensive about open carry laws and that it would not work in some states like CA. <modsnip>

I believe you're misinterpreting her use of the word "to". In this case "Southern Calif. = Southern Crime-a-mania" and "Oregon = open carry.". She's not saying she moved to Oregon "TO" open carry (as in . . . to be able to). IMO

We need more info as to why the father was not involved with his son.

I'm thinking the nutty behaviour of the mother likely played a part ..

Or, he might have found it too difficult and time-consuming to raise a child who was more difficult to raise than he had perhaps "hoped"! JMO

ETA: Isn't he quoted as saying he didn't know his son had THAT many guns (paraphrasing)? But he KNEW he had guns! IMO

I know bright parents with resources that have two kids with asperger's and it is a challenge to say the least. I'm hesitant to judge a single mom and more than likely one with limited resources. I too wonder where the dad is in all this. Jmo

Or, he might have found it too difficult and time-consuming to raise a child who was more difficult to raise than he had perhaps "hoped"! JMO

ETA: Isn't he quoted as saying he didn't know his son had THAT many guns (paraphrasing)? But he KNEW he had guns! IMO

I've got the father saying he didn't know he had any guns:

"The news broke as the gunman's father, Ian Mercer, revealed he had no idea his son had any guns whatsoever and wondered how his son was able to obtain so many."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...died-SUICIDE-police-reveal.html#ixzz3nZD0HJZN

But who knows for sure, also getting the impression that the father had very little to do with his son growing up.

'There isn't any kind of disharmony or bitterness between he and I,' Mercer said. 'When he was down here we went to dinner, did things sons and dads do. He lived with his mother the whole time.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...died-SUICIDE-police-reveal.html#ixzz3nZDQNhLJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I saw a short statement from the stepsister in Tarzana. She said she had not seen her stepbrother in a year or more. I kind of got the feeling that the father had moved on with his life with his new family. He lived in a nice middle class home in an upscale suburb. Mercer lived with his mom in a one bedroom apartment.

I've got the father saying he didn't know he had any guns:

"The news broke as the gunman's father, Ian Mercer, revealed he had no idea his son had any guns whatsoever and wondered how his son was able to obtain so many."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...died-SUICIDE-police-reveal.html#ixzz3nZD0HJZN

But who knows for sure, also getting the impression that the father had very little to do with his son growing up.

'There isn't any kind of disharmony or bitterness between he and I,' Mercer said. 'When he was down here we went to dinner, did things sons and dads do. He lived with his mother the whole time.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...died-SUICIDE-police-reveal.html#ixzz3nZDQNhLJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I must have incorrectly recalled what he said. I thought he had said he didn't know his son had "many" guns. My apology. Thanks for posting his actual quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea