Found Deceased Or - Sara Gomez, 24, Bend, 19 Feb 2018

Bend PD seeks info on car in case of missing woman

Bend police released two photos of a sea-foam green car late Saturday night, seeking public info on its whereabouts early last week in the disappearance of Sara Gomez; Bryan Penner, her ex-boyfriend, was arrested in the case.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/da-penner-directly-involved-in-bend-womans-disappearance/706640544
0cb1b0e4aa90546416e9dcbe5c4298ca.jpg

Bend PD seeks info on car in case of missing woman

Bend police released two photos of a sea-foam green car late Saturday night, seeking public info on its whereabouts early last week in the disappearance of Sara Gomez; Bryan Penner, her ex-boyfriend, was arrested in the case.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/da-penner-directly-involved-in-bend-womans-disappearance/706640544
0cb1b0e4aa90546416e9dcbe5c4298ca.jpg

What do you guys think are the possibilities of the evidence found at his place believed to be 'directly related to her disappearance'? Blood splatter? I'm trying to think what else and I'm sure there are things that would be obvious but I can't come up with anything else that would be found at the house other than physical evidence of bodily fluid... Or possibly GSR. Maybe signs of a struggle? Tarp (or other related) receipts? What do you guys think?

Does not look good unfortunately. Wish to God she had stayed away, or heeded advice of her friends. Sometimes that in itself (leaving a person like this) is when the worst happens though.

Please remember we do not allow random Facebook pages to be posted. Unless the FB page is from a mainstream media or law enforcement source we do not allow the page.

If a suspect has been arrested or some type of major connection to a case we may allow those Facebook pages. You should check first.

Tricia

This article clarifies a few points. http://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...-bend-woman-feared-violence-from-ex-boyfriend

Sara broke up with Penner in Nov. 2017.
In Dec, she gained a restraining order, saying she was in fear for her safety. He had come to her work, threatening and stalking her, said he would track her down and pistol whip her.
Penner has a 4th-degree assault from slamming Sara's sister's head into pavement when they were on a camping trip (he was criticizing Sara's choice of clothes and Sara's sister stood up for her).

So now we know the answer to my question in post #22 asking when she got the restraining order. She got it in December. But her roommate said the last time she saw Sara was when she left their apartment with Penner on Sunday. Apparently, Sara made it to work at Albertson’s on Monday and was seen leaving work, but not seen since.

So, despite the RO, she had contact with him. Whyyyyyyy? I know this is common with abused women, and I guess it’s just hard for me to understand. :( The thing is, how can he be charged with contempt of court for violating the RO if she went with him on Sunday? Do ROs still hold even if the person who filed it has voluntary contact? I hope so. I’m glad he’s charged and I want it to stick, but I expect his attorney is working hard to get him released on this basis. This is tragic.

From the link in my post:

Tanya Lytle, Gomez's roommate, said she last saw her on Sunday, when she was leaving with her ex-boyfriend, Bryan Penner.
Penner, initially arrested on a kidnap charge, currently is facing only two counts of contempt of court for violating a restraining order filed by Gomez.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-19-Feb-2018-*Arrest*&p=13951726#post13951726

So now we know the answer to my question in post #22 asking when she got the restraining order. She got it in December. But her roommate said the last time she saw Sara was when she left their apartment with Penner on Sunday. Apparently, Sara made it to work at Albertson’s on Monday and was seen leaving work, but not seen since.

So, despite the RO, she had contact with him. Whyyyyyyy? I know this is common with abused women, and I guess it’s just hard for me to understand. :( The thing is, how can he be charged with contempt of court for violating the RO if she went with him on Sunday? Do ROs still hold even if the person who filed it has voluntary contact? I hope so. I’m glad he’s charged and I want it to stick, but I expect his attorney is working hard to get him released on this basis. This is tragic.

Tanya Lytle, Gomez's roommate, said she last saw her on Sunday, when she was leaving with her ex-boyfriend, Bryan Penner.
Penner, initially arrested on a kidnap charge, currently is facing only two counts of contempt of court for violating a restraining order filed by Gomez.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-19-Feb-2018-*Arrest*&p=13951726#post13951726

Yes ROs absolutely do still stand even though the person goes willingly. Actually, that is why he is being held in jail right now for contempt of violating the RO (since more severe charges haven't yet been established).

<modsnip>

Hopefully this will make other girls in similar situations to think twice about getting back into a relationship that has been violent in the past.

So now we know the answer to my question in post #22 asking when she got the restraining order. She got it in December. But her roommate said the last time she saw Sara was when she left their apartment with Penner on Sunday. Apparently, Sara made it to work at Albertson&#8217;s on Monday and was seen leaving work, but not seen since.

So, despite the RO, she had contact with him. Whyyyyyyy? I know this is common with abused women, and I guess it&#8217;s just hard for me to understand. :( The thing is, how can he be charged with contempt of court for violating the RO if she went with him on Sunday? Do ROs still hold even if the person who filed it has voluntary contact? I hope so. I&#8217;m glad he&#8217;s charged and I want it to stick, but I expect his attorney is working hard to get him released on this basis. This is tragic.

Because she is not here to remove the restraining order so LE is bound to abide by it, is my guess.

I have seen many cases where people have "gotten back together" but had not lifted the restraining order, and later down the road, that was the only thing LE had to hold someone. I suspect that is the case here.

Penner is a mastermind manipulator and angry, vengeful person (from all I have read).
Perhaps Penner had found something to use as leverage with Sara. Perhaps he was moving to Portland, and used that to connect with her (she was helping sell his fish for him). Perhaps he threatened someone or something and she felt it was the only way to protect that someone or something.

Only Sara knows, and I hope she will be able to share her story. I am grateful she was able to file and gain that restraining order, because it ties him inexorably to her disappearance, and gave LE what they needed to put him in jail for now.

I thought a court ordered "stay away" was nullified if the petitioner allowed or initiated contact?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

I thought a court ordered "stay away" was nullified if the petitioner allowed or initiated contact?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

I don't think so. If I am reading this correctly, and understanding it (I am no legal expert), the restraining order stays in effect until a judge dismisses it. It lasts for a year.
Oregon law on restraining orders:
https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1140_restrainingorders.htm

I wonder if the violations of court order are for other contacts in the week leading up to her disappearance and their "getting back together." The proof of those contacts would be in cell phone records and such....

I spent 18 years being abused. The below was sent to me

The reason you won't leave is called "Cycle of Abuse".

Abusive men are usually quite charming, narcissistic and manipulative. When he's not hurting you he's probably a very nice guy and you might even think to yourself: "I'm really lucky to be married to such a wonderful person. If things get ugly sometimes it must be something I'm doing. If only I could get it right none of this would be happening..." but no matter what you do, all of a sudden he seems to be upset with you for some reason and you don't know exactly why.

Since you assume it is your fault you then begin doing things to "appease" him. This is when the abuser feels most comfortable. He is in control! ... But something, sooner or later, no matter what you do, causes the abuser to snap: Maybe the house wasn't clean enough. Maybe you weren't home on time. Maybe you wanted to watch the game. Maybe you didn't do what you were supposed to do and then comes the actual physical, emotional and verbal abuse for which you feel responsible.

Now, if he were abusing you all the time then it would be easy for you to leave him but after the "explosion" phase comes the reconciliation. He becomes sweet, kind and apologetic. He will say and do anything so your relationship will go back to "phase 1" where he is once again in control of you.

However, you must understand something . The cycle of abuse is like alcoholism. It will keep escalating until you decide to quit with all it's painful consequences or continue drinking until you die. There's no other choice, and the same applies to authentically abusive relationships like yours.

If you have already started documenting the physical abuse he has perpetrated on you, this means you already know there is a good possibility he might kill you and you want to leave proof of his guilt. You're not preparing a case for divorce. You're recording the road to your own demise.

you have to leave, for your sake and his. If he goes overboard one of these days you'll end up dead, he'll end up in prison and what will become of your children, if you have them?

I won't lie to you. Leaving him will be the most dangerous and treacherous part of the journey. He might begin stalking you or his violent behavior might escalate and I only wish I were there to lend my personal support, but since I'm not, you have to find your own support base: friends, family a battered woman's shelter..... whatever! Seek and you shall find.

Police ask rural Bend residents to 'check properties' for leads in missing woman's case

On Thursday, investigators said they have new information that Gomez’s disappearance could be tied to an area east of Bend.

Her former boyfriend, 31-year-old Brian Penner, has been charged with kidnapping, theft and restraining order violation as a suspect in her disappearance. He's being held without bail.

Investigators searched Penner’s home and found evidence that they believe links him to Gomez's disappearance. Gomez also had an active restraining order against Penner.

http://katu.com/news/local/detectiv...-gomez-case-ask-for-publics-help-brian-penner

Thank you for sharing this, Davia. For those of us who have not lived with abuse, but who want to understand why a woman returns or doesn&#8217;t leave, this says it so well. I hope you are safe and happy. Hugs. :heartbeat:

I spent 18 years being abused. The below was sent to me

The reason you won't leave is called "Cycle of Abuse".

Abusive men are usually quite charming, narcissistic and manipulative. When he's not hurting you he's probably a very nice guy and you might even think to yourself: "I'm really lucky to be married to such a wonderful person. If things get ugly sometimes it must be something I'm doing. If only I could get it right none of this would be happening..." but no matter what you do, all of a sudden he seems to be upset with you for some reason and you don't know exactly why.

Since you assume it is your fault you then begin doing things to "appease" him. This is when the abuser feels most comfortable. He is in control! ... But something, sooner or later, no matter what you do, causes the abuser to snap: Maybe the house wasn't clean enough. Maybe you weren't home on time. Maybe you wanted to watch the game. Maybe you didn't do what you were supposed to do and then comes the actual physical, emotional and verbal abuse for which you feel responsible.

Now, if he were abusing you all the time then it would be easy for you to leave him but after the "explosion" phase comes the reconciliation. He becomes sweet, kind and apologetic. He will say and do anything so your relationship will go back to "phase 1" where he is once again in control of you.

However, you must understand something . The cycle of abuse is like alcoholism. It will keep escalating until you decide to quit with all it's painful consequences or continue drinking until you die. There's no other choice, and the same applies to authentically abusive relationships like yours.

If you have already started documenting the physical abuse he has perpetrated on you, this means you already know there is a good possibility he might kill you and you want to leave proof of his guilt. You're not preparing a case for divorce. You're recording the road to your own demise.

you have to leave, for your sake and his. If he goes overboard one of these days you'll end up dead, he'll end up in prison and what will become of your children, if you have them?

I won't lie to you. Leaving him will be the most dangerous and treacherous part of the journey. He might begin stalking you or his violent behavior might escalate and I only wish I were there to lend my personal support, but since I'm not, you have to find your own support base: friends, family a battered woman's shelter..... whatever! Seek and you shall find.

Search for Sara on Saturday. LE has identified the area east of Bend, and citizens have organized a search for the morning. Starting point is Big Sky Park. People with horses, ATVs,and on foot will be there. Many people have been searching on their own already.

Here is the FB page for the search: https://www.facebook.com/events/2046834975598110/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back