Found Deceased OR - Terry Smith, 67, & Sharon Smith, 65, Grant Co, 17 Jul 2018

Still no updates to be found :( The sheriff had said they are treating this as a crime ( upthread in earlier article), but hasn't given an update since Aug. 2, and that one was basically a "no news" update. I wonder exactly what crime are they thinking? Arson, abduction, possible murder? At least they could say that, couldn't they? Totally mystified.

Homicide investigation!

Remains found in burned down John Day cabin where missing former Springfield couple lived
The Grant County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that remains believed to be human have been found in the burned down home of a missing couple near John Day.
Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer confirmed Wednesday that the investigation is being treated as a homicide.

The remains located inside the home, while believed to be of human origin, are being tested by the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office in Clackamas, Palmer said. The remains have not yet been identified.

“This agency is not prepared to release any identities in this case of anyone,” Palmer said. “As the investigation progresses, we will release information to the public as it becomes available.”

Oh wow! I just checked for an update as usual (Google) and didn't see anything new! I feared this might be the case in the beginning, even when they reported cadaver dogs found no signs of human remains :(

This certainly could explain the total radio silence from LE and family, but it's been so long !

Thank you for posting this, cybervampira. I don't understand why this update didn't pop up in my search online earlier? I do wonder if LE went back to search the burned out home more recently. I had wondered if the house burned for so long and was so hot, finding any remains were very difficult. I feel so sad, but was afraid Terry and/or Sharon never left home :(

Just going to have to wait until LE releases info on identity/identities of remains found. The thought did cross my mind in wondering whether both Smiths perished there, but I'm mostly assuming that's the case.

Doesn't it seem odd that their truck went missing? If both were murdered, where did the killer come from and how did he/she get there, if he/she needed the Smiths' truck to leave?

Just going to have to wait until LE releases info on identity/identities of remains found. The thought did cross my mind in wondering whether both Smiths perished there, but I'm mostly assuming that's the case.

Doesn't it seem odd that their truck went missing? If both were murdered, where did the killer come from and how did he/she get there, if he/she needed the Smiths' truck to leave?
Could be there was more than 1 person involved? One truck up with a driver and passenger, and 2 trucks back as the passenger is now the driver of the Smith's vehicle? But why?

Could be there was more than 1 person involved? One truck up with a driver and passenger, and 2 trucks back as the passenger is now the driver of the Smith's vehicle? But why?
That sounds like the most probable, Razz, but why is exactly it! Why would one of 2 perps want to take the Smiths' truck if they already had a ride?

Could it have been a lone hitchhiker, or hiker/camper/homeless person? LE has not yet identified if they think or know there is one, or two, sets of remains. Chances are we're not going to hear for a while.

That sounds like the most probable, Razz, but why is exactly it! Why would one of 2 perps want to take the Smiths' truck if they already had a ride?

Could it have been a lone hitchhiker, or hiker/camper/homeless person? LE has not yet identified if they think or know there is one, or two, sets of remains. Chances are we're not going to hear for a while.
We don't know and may never know if anything of value, other than the truck, was taken.

We don't know and may never know if anything of value, other than the truck, was taken.
Sadly, that's probably the case with the fire out of control for the length of time it was. Maybe that's one of the biggest clues in itself. Hoping they've been able to determine the fire's cause. I think they probably do know that by now, but keeping it under the lid.

Sadly, that's probably the case with the fire out of control for the length of time it was. Maybe that's one of the biggest clues in itself. Hoping they've been able to determine the fire's cause. I think they probably do know that by now, but keeping it under the lid.
So if someone did go to the home to rob them, why take the truck? The truck, if found, can lead to some answers, I think. A risky proposition for the perps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back