Found Deceased OR - Terry Smith, 67, & Sharon Smith, 65, Grant Co, 17 Jul 2018

Maybe the driver of the truck was picked up and brought to the home by the Smith's earlier that day?
That could be a real possibility. If so, I tend to not think Sharon mentioned another person staying with them when she talked to her sister in Hawaii that night. It would just seem to me if she had, LE would have mentioned interviewing or seeking a person of interest. Pure speculation on my part, though.

Breakthroughs in missing couple case announced
Two breakthroughs in the case of the missing couple whose house burned in Grant County were announced Wednesday by the sheriff’s office.

Sheriff Glenn Palmer announced that the Oregon State Medical Examiner notified his office Oct. 22 that samples of human tissue submitted for DNA testing had been partially analyzed. The samples, from remains found in the burned out residence on Nan’s Rock Road, tested conclusively to be those of Terry Smith. The sheriff’s office also received confirmation from the Boise Police Department in Boise, Idaho, that the pickup truck belonging to Terry and Sharon Smith was located over the weekend.

Further testing is underway on tissue samples and dental records submitted to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in an attempt to locate and identify Sharon Smith, Palmer said in the press release.

The sheriff’s office is jointly investigating the case with the Hilo Police Department in Hawaii County, Oregon State Police, Boise Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Palmer said.

Bumping for updates. This is one of the quietest, most mysterious cases I've come across- partly because there HAS been so little info or talk, and to me this is a terrible crime. They all are terrible, but no one out there seems to be talking about this one :(

Very basic map of Grant County, Oregon to Boise Idaho.

Shared route
From Grant County to Boise, Idaho via US-26 E and I-84 E.

3 hr 16 min (190 mi)
Shared route

3 hr 16 min (190 mi)
3 hr 16 min in current traffic

1. Head southwest toward Ranch Rd
2. Turn left onto Ranch Rd
3. Turn left onto US-26 E
4. Turn left onto US-26 E/Hwy 20 E/A St E
5. Turn left onto OR-201 N/State Hwy 201
6. Turn right onto the Interstate 84 E/US 30 E ramp to Boise
7. Merge onto I-84 E/US-30 E
8. Use the left 3 lanes to take exit 49 for I-184 toward 49
9. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto S Capitol Blvd
10. Arrive at location: Boise
For the best route in current traffic visit Google Maps

Very basic map of Grant County, Oregon to Boise Idaho.

Shared route

3 hr 16 min (190 mi)
Shared route

3 hr 16 min (190 mi)
3 hr 16 min in current traffic

1. Head southwest toward Ranch Rd
2. Turn left onto Ranch Rd
3. Turn left onto US-26 E
4. Turn left onto US-26 E/Hwy 20 E/A St E
5. Turn left onto OR-201 N/State Hwy 201
6. Turn right onto the Interstate 84 E/US 30 E ramp to Boise
7. Merge onto I-84 E/US-30 E
8. Use the left 3 lanes to take exit 49 for I-184 toward 49
9. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto S Capitol Blvd
10. Arrive at location: Boise
For the best route in current traffic visit Google Maps
Thanks, Razz! Sure would be nice if LE was able to locate any video surveillance where their truck was parked, but probably far too much time has gone by :(

"man who watched the Smiths’ property when they were in Hawaii or other locations had traveled to Idaho for his wife’s medical appointment and was returning the next day, Hinshaw said. The Smiths planned to clean up the caretaker’s house the next day before he returned."

The quote above is from the article above. Not casting aspersions here but the person who set the fire must have known the caretaker wouldn't be there or just a lucky coincidence.

The Smith's were planning to clean up the caretakers house while he was away. I wonder why they were cleaning up the house. I wouldn't be happy if someone entered my home to clean it up while away. Also, the caretaker took his wife to Idaho for a dr.'s appt. Probably just another coincidence that the truck was found in Boise. Maybe it was someone who knew the caretaker and they attempted to frame him.

Seems too cut and dried with me speculating that the caretaker must have been there or showed up in that truck that night with the mission of killing them so little evidence would be left behind , and that particular truck finally shows up in Boise..Unless the Smiths had allowed the caretaker to take their truck to go to his wife's doctors' appt. in Idaho.

I should stop typing now because I took my sleeping aid quite a while ago, and when I try to type on various formats sometimes it turns out to be gibberish,lol, Nite, all,

Seems too cut and dried with me speculating that the caretaker must have been there or showed up in that truck that night with the mission of killing them so little evidence would be left behind , and that particular truck finally shows up in Boise..Unless the Smiths had allowed the caretaker to take their truck to go to his wife's doctors' appt. in Idaho.

I should stop typing now because I took my sleeping aid quite a while ago, and when I try to type on various formats sometimes it turns out to be gibberish,lol, Nite, all,
Or as Razz mentioned upthread, someone may have been trying to frame the caretaker.

Other than the Smiths, who knew that the caretaker was going to be gone that night? And who else was aware that they “planned to clean up the caretaker’s house the next day before he returned“ (this gives the impression, IMO, that maybe they were getting ready to fire him)?
Year in Review: Couple's disappearance turns into homicide case

I also find it interesting that “(t)he sheriff’s office is jointly investigating the case with the Hilo Police Department in Hawaii County, Oregon State Police, Boise Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.” (BBM)

I understand the Smiths split their time between their cabin in OR and a home in HI, but if the crime was committed by a local(s), which I am assuming that the caretaker is, how much assistance would LE in OR need from their counterparts in HI?

I could be completely off here, but it seems like whatever happened here is a bit more complicated than it appears on the surface, IMO.

Or as Razz mentioned upthread, someone may have been trying to frame the caretaker.

Other than the Smiths, who knew that the caretaker was going to be gone that night? And who else was aware that they “planned to clean up the caretaker’s house the next day before he returned“ (this gives the impression, IMO, that maybe they were getting ready to fire him)?
Year in Review: Couple's disappearance turns into homicide case

I also find it interesting that “(t)he sheriff’s office is jointly investigating the case with the Hilo Police Department in Hawaii County, Oregon State Police, Boise Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.” (BBM)

I understand the Smiths split their time between their cabin in OR and a home in HI, but if the crime was committed by a local(s), which I am assuming that the caretaker is, how much assistance would LE in OR need from their counterparts in HI?

I could be completely off here, but it seems like whatever happened here is a bit more complicated than it appears on the surface, IMO.

Those are the million-dollar questions, IMHO! After learning the caretaker had to attend a medical appointment with his wife in Idaho, and then the Smiths' missing truck being found in Boise, well...I do tend to add 1+1=2, and so on. I agree with you, though, that there seems to be a more complex equation in this case.

No one is talking, that's for sure!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back