Identified! OR - Van Duzer State Park, Wht/Blk/HispFem 6-10, UP76624, Dec'20 - Haley Mae Coblentz

TedMac

Reaction score
Investigators work to identify remains of child found in Lincoln County

LINCOLN COUNTY, Ore. — Oregon State Police is asking for the public's help in identifying the remains of a child discovered in rural Lincoln County earlier this month.

Investigators say they found the remains of a female child near the H.B. Van Duzer State Scenic Corridor in a heavily wooded area on December 10, 2020. Medical examiner's estimated the deceased child's age to be between the ages of 6.5 and 10 years old. She is approximately 3'10" to 4'6" and had long dark hair.

Unidentified remains of a young girl found in the Lincoln County woods
YRRXEDWZAVHLLGOUXRJCXTEGLU.jpg

''Picnic area of the H.B. Van Duzer Forest State Scenic Corridor, where the unidentified remains of a young child were found this month. Detectives are seeking the public’s help identifying the child, who is estimated to be between 61/2 and 10. She was about 3′10″ to 4′6″ tall and her hair was long and either dark brown or black. Her race or ethnic origin has not yet been determined. The results of a DNA analysis are not yet complete, the state police said on Tuesday.''

''Authorities say they are unaware of any reports of missing children matching the girl’s description.''

''The condition of the remains suggests the girl had been dead for at least 30 days before being found Dec. 10. State police have not released the cause or manner of death.''

“When we are talking about children under the age of 11, we find the biggest hurdle to get over is they are not reported missing the majority of the time,” she said. She cited several reasons, such as the potential involvement of the child’s caretakers or custody arrangements where the non-custodial parent may be unaware the child is missing.''

''The Oregon State Police asks anyone with information that might help investigators identify the girl to call 800-442-0776 or *OSP (*677).''

Two local resources give a little more info about the discovery...

This says that the body was found in the "area" of the rest stop:
Child’s body found along scenic corridor in rural Lincoln County
And this post states that SAR came to assist:
https://www.pnwne.com/post/death-investigation-at-van-duzer-cooridor
... Leading me to think that the body was in the woods or creek. I wonder who discovered the remains. Since they think the deceased was there approx 30 days prior to discovery, it makes sense that s/he was not just out in the open at the rest area.
Even though winter is not as busy as summer for travel along that route- it's definitely well-travelled and that rest area used frequently. (The state parks website lists which areas are currently closed, and it appears this one is open for day use).

This is just terrible-- I can't imagine a poor child just being dumped in the weeds.

I'm curious to know if they are basing her height on perceived age, or age based on perceived height?
The height range they list exactly matches the age range they list on a growth chart.
It would be nice to know if they have a measurement of height- or if they have an approximate age based on other characteristics. Or do they have both and it's just a coincidence that this girl would be in the 50th%ile on the growth chart? (I hope this question makes sense)

Near a rest stop -- one month ago -- this little girl could be from nearly anywhere.
I hope this alert is sent everywhere. At least the number of travelers was much less that previous years -- that may help.

She still could be local -- hiding a body at a rest stop in the same area as where the victim lived might be a pretty sly move...

This will be good news and bad news for the people who love and are missing her.

I'm curious to know if they are basing her height on perceived age, or age based on perceived height?
The height range they list exactly matches the age range they list on a growth chart.
It would be nice to know if they have a measurement of height- or if they have an approximate age based on other characteristics. Or do they have both and it's just a coincidence that this girl would be in the 50th%ile on the growth chart? (I hope this question makes sense)

The fact that there is such a wide range on the possible height makes me wonder if they found only partial remains or if the long bones of the body were crushed or severely burned. 30 days of decomposition enough to make 8 inches difference in the possible height of a child. I’m not an expert so MOO.

This is very sad. Fyi, this the area that had a bad wildfire move through this summer. This is a well traveled highway year round and the shut down from the fire created evacuation problems. My sister lives in Lincoln City and was under evacuation. Hopefully a family member has had a genealogy test done.

This breaks my heart. Poor child.

The vague details they've released just create more questions for me.
  • Long, dark hair: How long? Are they trying to id a child with hair just past her shoulders or hair grown to her lower back?
  • Straight? Wavy?
  • Height & weight seem generic, as AnnieOakley pointed out above.
  • Who found the remains?
  • How far from the main trail(?) was she found? (? Is there a trail? I'm not from the area).
I want to believe there is a family out there desperately awaiting the return of their little girl but sadly I don't think that's the case.

Ugh my heart...

I've been all over this case for the past day. I agree, the description is so vague. 30 days indicates that it hasn't been THAT long, and they seem to know she's of ambiguous (?) race. I noted that the age is varied (6-10 is a pretty big difference in development) and 6.5 is oddly specific. Losing teeth starts around that age, so maybe that's a factor? I started a thread just now about a young girl who is missing out of Washington/Oregon who matches the description and the circumstances are a little.... odd. I'll link it here: WA - /OR Naiyah Crawford, 7, Ritzville (?), September 27th 2020

Near a rest stop -- one month ago -- this little girl could be from nearly anywhere.
I hope this alert is sent everywhere. At least the number of travelers was much less that previous years -- that may help.

She still could be local -- hiding a body at a rest stop in the same area as where the victim lived might be a pretty sly move...

This will be good news and bad news for the people who love and are missing her.

I’m worried that no one is.

This breaks my heart. Poor child.

The vague details they've released just create more questions for me.
  • Long, dark hair: How long? Are they trying to id a child with hair just past her shoulders or hair grown to her lower back?
  • Straight? Wavy?
  • Height & weight seem generic, as AnnieOakley pointed out above.
  • Who found the remains?
  • How far from the main trail(?) was she found? (? Is there a trail? I'm not from the area).
I want to believe there is a family out there desperately awaiting the return of their little girl but sadly I don't think that's the case.

Ugh my heart...

Agreed. Maybe 30 days of decomp and animal predation have made it hard to tell for sure.

I’m worried that no one is.

Agreed. A body found to be 3--4 years old is one thing. But, IMO,
a body said to be a month old is something else -- especially this time of year -- not everyone observes Thanksgiving but many do, and most families would really miss a child. Then there's grandparents and other relatives or friends who would like to Zoom, etc., or at least speak or e-mail their young relative or friend. SMH.
Your worry is a sound and very sad one...

Agreed. A body found to be 3--4 years old is one thing. But, IMO,
a body said to be a month old is something else -- especially this time of year -- not everyone observes Thanksgiving but many do, and most families would really miss a child. Then there's grandparents and other relatives or friends who would like to Zoom, etc., or at least speak or e-mail their young relative or friend. SMH.
Your worry is a sound and very sad one...

That's what I was thinking. Rarely do we find bodies so quickly especially in forest land. The child probably hasn't been missing very long. I hope we find out what happened to them. DNA results are backed up because of COVID so hoping that brings something up.

Investigators work to identify remains of child found in Lincoln County

LINCOLN COUNTY, Ore. — Oregon State Police is asking for the public's help in identifying the remains of a child discovered in rural Lincoln County earlier this month.

Investigators say they found the remains of a female child near the H.B. Van Duzer State Scenic Corridor in a heavily wooded area on December 10, 2020. Medical examiner's estimated the deceased child's age to be between the ages of 6.5 and 10 years old. She is approximately 3'10" to 4'6" and had long dark hair.
I am working on this case. Although I cannot answer any questions during the investigation, I can make a plea for my Websleuths community to keep an eye out for the profiles of possible missing juvenile females who have gone missing in the last year (~2019 or more recent), 6-10 years of age at the time of disappearance, with dark brown/black hair. As of now, the names of interest are:
Brooke Roberts NamUs MP#72014
Amal Mohamed MP#56903
Noelle Johnson
Naiyah Crawford
Tarie Price
Mildred Oldcrow MP#75926
Again, I can't answer any questions but if you find a name we should explore, please let me know through the messaging option on the site, or post a reply. Thank you in advance for your help, Websleuths! Dr. Nici

I am working on this case. Although I cannot answer any questions during the investigation, I can make a plea for my Websleuths community to keep an eye out for the profiles of possible missing juvenile females who have gone missing in the last year (~2019 or more recent), 6-10 years of age at the time of disappearance, with dark brown/black hair. As of now, the names of interest are:
Brooke Roberts NamUs MP#72014
Amal Mohamed MP#56903
Noelle Johnson
Naiyah Crawford
Tarie Price
Mildred Oldcrow MP#75926
Again, I can't answer any questions but if you find a name we should explore, please let me know through the messaging option on the site, or post a reply. Thank you in advance for your help, Websleuths! Dr. Nici
All, I apologize. I just re-read the "etiquette and information" page that Websleuths posted in 2008, and it looks like I may have violated your rules. I am only looking for different avenues to target more possible matches, but I didn't mean to imply that we might whisper to each other at a table full of people, and I only stated that I can't answer questions because I'm actually working on the case. If you find a possible missing person that may match the description of this little girl, please post on the open page so I can see it. Again, I apologize.

That's what I was thinking. Rarely do we find bodies so quickly especially in forest land. The child probably hasn't been missing very long. I hope we find out what happened to them. DNA results are backed up because of COVID so hoping that brings something up.

I too hope that she wasn’t missing for very long and that she will be identified soon!

Total speculation but from a more jaded point of view, this little girl might have been a long time victim of child trafficking. Maybe she was a very malnourished for years, resulting in a 10 year old who is the size of a much younger child. In that case, she may have been missing since she was much younger. It’s hard to think about but when teenagers are trafficked there are going to be pregnancies. If the trafficker does not force and abortion, children of victims will be born and trafficked from a very young age.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back