Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to see what can be substantial and compelling about executing an unknown person in your toilet for unknown reasons

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 19s19 seconds ago
BREAKING: state says it can't rule out possibility of appeal against #OscarPistorius sentence.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 18s18 seconds ago
#OscarPistorius attorney: we think the sentence is fair.

I totally agree. At the very beginning of her statement, I sensed anger coming out of her. Seething anger, in my opinion. She did not seem like a calm, objective judge, like she appeared to be when the trial began, in my opinion.

BBM. This is why it was so crazy to have the original judge tasked with sentencing after her verdict was overturned. Not to mention her incompetence in general.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 19s19 seconds ago
BREAKING: state says it can't rule out possibility of appeal against #OscarPistorius sentence.

Great. If nothing else, it might keep them worried as I am sure they know that the SCA will be less moved by unsubstantiated claims of remorse.

The Steenkamp family doesn't want to comment now, Pistorius family will apparently issue a statement.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 18s18 seconds ago
#OscarPistorius attorney: we think the sentence is fair.

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies, 'Well he would say that, wouldn't he'. Probably one of my favourite courtroom moments.

But even though I agree she fell for his story - 6 years for murder with a firearm plus 4 shots is madness from a legal perspective!

For sure! That's why I said inept. She's blinded by her relativism and it's made for extremely bad case law. No way will the NPA allow this to go unchallenged. It's a dangerous precedent that goes way beyond this case. She hasn't just given OP a get out of jail card, she's handed one to every future murderer.

She was explicit about the role of the Court and I felt that. That's why barristers fight so hard for their respective sides in the knowledge that the judge or jury will get the right decision. They trust in the system to prevail and the judge to appropriate the right sentence. Masipa was not cut out to view the two advocates submissions impartially and objectively. She's just inept.

As usual the voice of the victim is not heard in a domestic violence case

It's all about making excuses for male violence

What a country. In 2013 a man stole goats and cattle and was sentenced to 80 years. Reeva's life was worth 6.

The Steenkamp family doesn't want to comment now, Pistorius family will apparently issue a statement.

Isn't that what Karyn Maughan just did? Oh wait, Uncle has to have his 15 seconds too...

Barry Bateman
@barrybateman
44m
#OscarPistorius has been led down the stairs to the holding cells. A distraught Aimee stormed out of court. Relatives consoling Carl. BB
View details ·

Such injustice for poor Reeva.....how sad that her life didn't carry more importance.

For CH he gets 5 years. For MURDER just 1 more year added....6 years. What is wrong with this judge? And after the negative feedback they gave her following the appeal. What is she thinking that adding 1 extra year is fine & dandy, and justice?

I believe Nel/the state will appeal. They are going to be appalled at this injustice.

The requirement that the sentencing is sent right back to the original judge (even though she receive quite a tongue lashing from the appeal and Supreme Court with her rulings), is crazy. Of course this is the result. Why not get a new, unbiased judge to handle the sentencing. After all the mistakes they pointed out...she didn't deserve a 2nd "bite at this apple". She blew it. Assign a new, unbiased judge to hand down sentencing. What a joke this is.

I hope the state appeals and she gets her hand slapped again, being over ruled with a stiffer sentence. And then she needs to step down and retire.

So does the 6 year sentence mean......2 more years?
6 years (-) minus the 1 year served = 5 years. 1/2 of 6 years = 3 years. So 3 years - 1 year already served = 2 yrs remaining???? Anyone know for sure how that's calculated for parole eligibility?

So, so sad. No justice today.....yet again.

Barry Bateman
@barrybateman
44m
#OscarPistorius has been led down the stairs to the holding cells. A distraught Aimee stormed out of court. Relatives consoling Carl. BB
View details ·

[video=youtube;rAlTOfl9F2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w[/video]

For sure! That's why I said inept. She's blinded by her relativism and it's made for extremely bad case law. No way will the NPA allow this to go unchallenged. It's a dangerous precedent that goes way beyond this case. She hasn't just given OP a get out of jail card, she's handed one to every future murderer.

She was explicit about the role of the Court and I felt that. That's why barristers fight so hard for their respective sides in the knowledge that the judge or jury will get the right decision. They trust in the system to prevail and the judge to appropriate the right sentence. Masipa was not cut out to view the two advocates submissions impartially and objectively. She's just inept.

I agree about the inept part.

That's what happens when you appoint a journeyman with no relevant court or technical experience to the bench.

The High Court Judges I know would never allow such tomfoolery in their courtroom

I was furious when Masipa through Barry's comment back in his face about the argument and public perception. Then to add insult to injury, said their healing process had begun because they had forgiven him.

From the Guardian

The instructing attorney for the defence, Andrew Fawcett, has told reporters that the Pistorius team does not intend to appeal the sentence and that they respect Masipa’s decision.

Pistorius will serve the sentence handed down by the court, he says.

But he adds that the defence team will of course “react” if the state decides to appeal the sentence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...storius-sentenced-murder-reeva-steenkamp-live

Clearly, she wanted to demonstrate to the public that she's 'fearless'. Not a good mindset in a judge - her role is to ensure that justice is seen to be done...

No matter what she says she will not change public opinion formed from watching the trial on television.

Television = public medium. I guess she thinks we must just watch and say nothing!

David Dadic ‏@DavidDadic 34m34 minutes ago
Please can the NPA announce the appeal, just to settle us a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500