PA - 12yo Malinda Hoagland of West Caln/Coatesville abused and killed by father Rendell Hoagland and stepmother Cindy Warren

Bounceycat

Reaction score
Warning - this case is pretty upsetting. It's hyper-local for me and our community is outraged and hurting for this little girl

Relevant excerpts:

WEST CALN TWP., Pa. - Chester County Detectives have charged the father and stepmother of a 12-year-old girl with the child's death.

Staff at Paoli Hospital reported Malinda weighed 50 pounds, had significant bruising on her body, fractures to both wrists and both ankles and internal injuries.

Trauma surgeons were unable to save her and Malinda was pronounced dead later that night.

Hospital staff were alarmed at the girl's condition and physical appearance and allegedly told detectives this "should not happen in this country."

Investigators say they recovered numerous videos spanning several months depicting physical abuse of the child by Warren and Hoagland, including chaining the girl to furniture, forcing her to do calisthenics and other intense physical exercise while chained, berating her, denying the child food and shackling the girl's leg to an air hockey table.

During their investigation, detectives learned Warren has a previous conviction in Monroe County for endangering the welfare of a child. Authorities say it is related to the beating death of a two-year-old child that was in her care.

Warren and Hoagland and are both charged with attempted criminal homicide, aggravated assault, kidnapping and related offenses. Both are being held at Chester County Prison on $1,000,000 bail.

A recap of Cindy Warren's prior involvement in child abuse and a child's death:

Cindy Warren's sentencing on prior endangerment of a child charges, and more background in the abuse of her prior children and death of her prior step daughter. Warning, it is a tough read.

I saw this on the news this morning, I hadn't realized it was so close to me. I hate that these monsters aren't caught until it's too late for the child. I guess it's not readily apparent to these people that the child is so close to death? Why bother bringing them to the ER or calling an ambulance once they are dead? If they're scared of being charged with child abuse, they have to know murder is a more serious charge... I don't get it.

I saw this on the news this morning, I hadn't realized it was so close to me. I hate that these monsters aren't caught until it's too late for the child. I guess it's not readily apparent to these people that the child is so close to death? Why bother bringing them to the ER or calling an ambulance once they are dead? If they're scared of being charged with child abuse, they have to know murder is a more serious charge... I don't get it.
That's what I don't get. I have borne witness to kids being abused, and thankfully the state finally, finally stepped in before a life was lost. I wondered about my former SIL and BIL. What did they think, when the abuse and neglect was going on? That the kids would still grow up and be fine?

At a certain point, they stop caring, they are so deep into abusing and hurting their own kids, they can't see the end looming. And then when it gets to be too late, they panic and call 911...which while I am grateful for, it baffles me. I am glad more are NOT talking the Adam Montgomery route, but it will never stop upsetting me

I called CPS and 911 over a hundred times about my former step kids and all of their cousins, and it took a brawl between the adults and teens for it to finally happen. It was a brutal fight, one of the teens snapped on her Mom, then my ex jumped in, so all four of the other teens jumped in, police came, they thought some of the girls were hookers ...they didn't know they were all minors who had not been to school in three years. They thought two of the girls were teen prostitutes due to the circumstances and appearance. We need to change laws about this, or our children will keep being hurt.

And I think of these kinds of kids as "Ours". There own people don't love and honor them, but we do.|

ETA used to be if kids were not in school, the court came looking. I was once even threatened with juvie for missing months of school, but I had been in hospital and it was dropped, but they dure did come looking for me!

Why is it to hard to not abuse children?

Stopped reading the 2009 article about Cindy's sentencing for Isaiah because I can't handle all the "oh no poor Cindy she's a victim wahhhh" talk. MOO.
I have to wonder how all of Cindy's apologists are feeling after the latest death in her household...

Malinda Hoagland

Hoagland allegedly claimed Malinda struck a tree while riding her bicycle, according to the affidavit, but de Barrena-Sarobe said even if that were true, it would in no way explain the extent of her injuries and emaciated state.

During the ensuing investigation, de Barrena-Sarobe said Malinda had been pulled out of school in late November and was shifted to an online cyber school in December.

Malinda was previously part of the Coatesville Area School District at North Brandywine Middle School, according to school officials.

Dr. Catherine Van Vooren, superintendent of the Coatesville Area School District, released the following statement on Malinda to Action News:

"This district is devastated. The school had concerns about the child's welfare in the fall and diligently reported those concerns to Children and Youth Services and shortly thereafter the child was withdrawn and enrolled in a cyber charter school."

Videos from both the suspects' phones and in-home camera system showed Malinda had been ankle-cuffed to furniture and was verbally berated while at home, the D.A. said

Such a beautiful girl!
OH, how sad … I have 12yo girl twins and I cannot even imagine. They’re small for their age, btw, and they’re 100 lbs each … to put context around a 50 lb 12yo …

I wonder if CPS made checks between November ‘23 and now …

hindsight. wonder what all Cindy Warren's staunch supporters think now? Clearly her ex husband, McKinley Warren Jr., was NOT the only abuser. Low and behold Cindy went out and found herself another winner in Rendell Hoagland. Cindy was just as much a part of the abuse of Malinda as Rendell was.

This didn't have to happen. So many children abused at the hands of this woman and her very specific choices in personality type for a mate.

Cindy's immediate prior partner (the father of her 9yo son) died in 2018. Then soon after she got with Rendell Hoagland. I don't know how her prior partner died. But I wonder. I also speculate that her 9yo son was reported as not being subject to abuse because he was a "golden ticket" for survivors benefits and whatever his father left behind? JMO.

I have to wonder how all of Cindy's apologists are feeling after the latest death in her household...

Yes.

Looks like she once again "didn't just stand by and allow the abuse" and death of a second child.

I'd have expected CFS to have pretty much had a room in any house she was raising a child in. Horrible and maddening case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCPstudy
Back