PA PA - Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, West Willow, 5 June 1984

The Pequea Township man has been there since his arrest on Dec. 22, when prosecutors charged him with a single count of homicide in Maryann’s death.

The limited court documents available online do not include Lancaster County Judge Merrill Spahn’s reasons, but the unprecedented move — at least in modern county history — comes after a hearing Friday on the issue.

The Pequea Township man has been there since his arrest on Dec. 22, when prosecutors charged him with a single count of homicide in Maryann’s death.

The limited court documents available online do not include Lancaster County Judge Merrill Spahn’s reasons, but the unprecedented move — at least in modern county history — comes after a hearing Friday on the issue.

I don’t think he will be able to post bail. Justice has been a long time coming for Maryann.

BBM

Yes, it has. And, hopefully, NO plea deals unless he tells where she is and her remains are found.
I really wish Maryann’s mother would have lived to see this day, she tried so hard to keep her name in the news.

Bagenstose was denied bail at the time of his arrest. But on Tuesday Judge Merrill Spahn ruled prosecutors had not presented sufficient evidence to support it was “substantially more likely than not” that Bagenstose killed his wife, as interpreted under the 2022 Supreme Court ruling Commonwealth v. Talley, LancasterOnline reported.

“In evaluating our appeal options, we must recognize that Bagenstose is a rather rare “no body” cold case – and presents an uncommon factual occurrence,” District Attorney Heather Adams said in a statement responding to the ruling. “However, the Court’s ruling in this matter potentially impacts the procedural posture of future cases, and we will be fully prepared to challenge similar rulings where appropriate.”

Under the terms of his bail, Bagenstose cannot contact witnesses, must wear a GPS monitor, and cannot leave Lancaster County without the court’s permission, according to LancasterOnline. He also must report to bail administration each week.

A little surprised I didn't run into a paywall with this. Here's the gist of it in case it becomes unavailable for non-subscribers (like me).

Three years after his estranged wife went missing in 1984, Jere Bagenstose was in a relationship with a woman who accused him of escalating violence.

Now, prosecutors in the Lancaster County District Attorney’s Office want to use the woman’s claims as evidence in court to support their theory that Jere Bagenstose killed his wife, Maryann Bagenstose.

In the woman’s 1987 petition in county court seeking a temporary protection from abuse order, she wrote that Bagenstose wrapped a cord around her neck on July 2 or 3.

A day or so later, Bagenstose “held a rag soaked in paint thinner inches away from (my) face as (I) slept. Upon waking, (I) believed that (he) was attempting to cover (my) nose and mouth with the rag.”

And on July 7, the woman wrote, Bagenstose threw her down a flight of stairs, grabbed her from behind and put his hand over her mouth. He also slammed a car door into her arm several times, the petition said.

QquleEM.jpg

Mary Ann Bagenstose, age 25, Missing since 5 June 1984

I still can’t get over he came up with bail money. Always questioned why he’s still in the same house, all these years.

Spahn said Spewak is a necessary witness but his advanced age and medical concerns may mean he wouldn’t be available for trial. That makes it an exceptional circumstance warranting taking his testimony ahead of a trial, which has not been scheduled.

Dec 27, 2022

<<Detectives did find a crumpled-up note inside a wooden nail keg in the living room.

“Had to run a quick errand. Be right back,” the note read.

The note was seized and kept in evidence storage at the Pennsylvania State Police’s Lancaster post.

Investigators were unable to make a case against Jere Bagenstose, who they allege gave inconsistent statements about a number of things, including how he received an unexplained injury to his left arm. He also gave inconsistent details of what the note from Maryann Bagenstose said, the reason he went to the house on June 5 and why he dug a hole in the garage days after she disappeared.>>

Dec 27, 2022

<<Detectives did find a crumpled-up note inside a wooden nail keg in the living room.

“Had to run a quick errand. Be right back,” the note read.

The note was seized and kept in evidence storage at the Pennsylvania State Police’s Lancaster post.

Investigators were unable to make a case against Jere Bagenstose, who they allege gave inconsistent statements about a number of things, including how he received an unexplained injury to his left arm. He also gave inconsistent details of what the note from Maryann Bagenstose said, the reason he went to the house on June 5 and why he dug a hole in the garage days after she disappeared.>>

Jere Bagenstose had a lot to gain with Mary Ann "out of the way".

So this was a typical case where LE thought from the beginning "Hé, this guy has a very good motive", but they weren't able to proof it before?

Adams said that the Bagenstose case, unlike many of the cold cases solved in recent years, does not revolve around DNA. Instead, it has been solved through “decades of hard work and dedication” by law enforcement, beginning with the Pequea Township Police Department and ending with the Pennsylvania State Police.

I really don't understand why the finding of a note made any difference. Was it because he lied about it and not threw it away?

Attorneys for a man charged in the presumed death of his wife nearly 40 years ago want to recuse all Lancaster County judges because two former county judges might testify at trial.

At the time Maryann Bagenstose disappeared, one of the former judges was an attorney who represented Jere Bagenstose in a custody case with her. Bagenstose’s attorneys contend he violated attorney-client privilege by speaking to a state trooper investigating Maryann’s disappearance.

Who is Jere Bagenstose? Wiki, Bio, Age, Charged With Murder, Investigation
Lancaster County District Attorney's Office and Pennsylvania State Police have charged Jere Bagenstose with killing his wife Maryann Bagenstose nearly 40 years ago. She disappeared from her home on West Willow Road in Pequea Towship on June 5, 1984.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back