PA - Officer Lloyd Reed, 54, fatally shot, New Florence, 28 Nov 2015 *aquitted, pending trial on other charges*

St. Clair Police Officer Killed In Westmoreland County Shooting

State Police say Reed was responding to a domestic dispute call about 9:15 p.m. Saturday night at a home at 131 Ligonier Street in New Florence.

Authorities say Officer Reed had been in law enforcement for 25-years.

Police say the woman involved in the domestic incident suffered minor injuries.

Governor Tom Wolf announced today for all flags to be lowered at half-staff in honor of Officer Reed.

So sad. I've heard that domestic violence calls are some of the most dangerous for police officers to respond to. I'm glad they got the killer in custody without any more officers being hurt.

Cambria County Deputy Coroner Jeff Lees says Officer Reed died from a single gunshot wound to the chest. He was wearing a bullet-proof vest, but the bullet came in from the side and didn't hit the vest. Police arrested Ray Shetler, Jr., 31, of New Florence, early Sunday morning and charged him with criminal homicide.

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/remembering-officer-lloyd-reed

My thoughts and prayers go out to officer Reed's family, police family and community.

This article gives the girlfriend's description of what happened from the time their fight (hers and Shetler's) started until after Officer Reed was shot down.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/w...ged-remains-hospitalized/stories/201511290207

I don't even know what to think about any of that. It just leaves me more questions.

Like was Shetler allowed to have a gun?
State police in Greensburg charged Mr. Shetler in April 2013 with simple assault and harassment. He was found guilty in a non-jury trial and was sentenced to a one-year probation in June 2014. In October of this year, he was found to be in violation of that probation and and he was resentenced to one year of probation, court records show.

In a fourth case, Mr. Shetler pleaded guilty in October to recklessly endangering another person and a summary count of criminal trespass from April 2014. He was sentenced to two years of probation in that case

I don't even know what to think about any of that. It just leaves me more questions.

Like was Shetler allowed to have a gun?

It leaves me with more questions too. IDK if he was allowed to have a gun but IMO he shouldn't have been. I guess my biggest question is why didn't he drop the gun when he was ordered to? Was he too intoxicated to think clearly?

It leaves me with more questions too. IDK if he was allowed to have a gun but IMO he shouldn't have been. I guess my biggest question is why didn't he drop the gun when he was ordered to? Was he too intoxicated to think clearly?

And why did he run? Why did he SHOOT BACK?!!

she watched from her front porch Saturday night in Westmoreland County as her boyfriend ran from a police officer, who was shooting at him, and then turned around and fired his hunting rifle at the officer.

Why was his gun at her house?

911 call is at bottom of the ^ article too.

New Florence man 'sorry' police officer died in shootout

Ray Shetler Jr. of New Florence sat shackled in a crowded district judge's courtroom and listened to an 18-minute 911 call that ended when a St. Clair Township police officer was fatally shot.

Screams could be heard on the recording from Nov. 28, which was played during Shetler's preliminary hearing on a homicide charge.
Police said Shetler and Reed exchanged gunfire outside the home. One shot hit Reed in the chest, just beyond his protective vest. Shetler was shot in the shoulder.

Reed died in a hospital, and Shetler fled. A six-hour manhunt ended with his capture at 3 a.m. Nov. 29.

Part-time Seward Officer Justin Dickert told the judge he was the second to arrive at Luther's home. He turned off the engines of his and Reed's patrol cars and locked the doors.

“That's when the yelling started,” he said. “Lloyd was yelling, ‘Drop the gun! Drop the gun, Ray, drop the gun!'

Outside the courtroom, reporters asked Shetler if he is sorry.

Yes, I am. Of course, I am,” he said. “Everybody in Ligonier knows I'd never do a thing like this.”

Man held for trial in killing of St. Clair police officer

St. Clair Township police Officer Lloyd Reed Jr. died in an exchange of gunfire with Mr. Shetler after the officer responded to a domestic dispute Nov. 28, a state police corporal and Seward officer told the judge.

Officer Reed, 54, of Hollsopple in Somerset County, wore a bulletproof vest but did not survive being shot in the chest by a .270-caliber rifle, said Jeffrey Lees, chief deputy coroner of Cambria County.
Mr. Shetler was held for trial on charges of criminal homicide, theft and receiving stolen property in relation to a truck police said he stole while leading them on a six-hour manhunt, and terroristic threats, simple assault and harassment from the domestic dispute with Ms. Luther. He is being held in the Westmoreland County Prison without bail.

Westmoreland County prosecutors are planning to seek the death penalty against a New Florence man charged with gunning down a local police officer.

Westmoreland County District Attorney John Peck filed a two-page notice Thursday indicating he’ll pursue capital punishment against 31-year-old Ray Shetler Jr. if the New Florence native is convicted of first-degree murder.

http://www.tribdem.com/news/westmore...2f81d6f40.html

The trial for a New Florence man facing the death penalty in the fatal shooting of a St. Clair police officer won't start until August, at the earliest.

(...)

With some two dozen family members and friends in court to support him, Shetler appeared Thursday before Judge Meagan Bilik-DeFazio for a pretrial conference.

(...)

Bilik-DeFazio set a tentative trial date for August, pending the outcome of any pretrial motions.

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/1...ler-reed-death

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back