Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #2 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! So hard to figure out these things from outside...
I happened to work for PENNDOT during that transition period, the is no way 999 out of a thousand people would know or care.

It sounds more like a license plate number but I am sure that has been checked thoroughly from day one.

I happened to work for PENNDOT during that transition period, the is no way 999 out of a thousand people would know or care.

It sounds more like a license plate number but I am sure that has been checked thoroughly from day one.

Yes, they checked license plates and CB call handles.

I really wish they had taken pictures of the writing. I strongly suspect part of it had been erased, but at this point there's no way to tell.

Just for reference, here's the detailed description (from http://www.pamissing.com/bethdoe.html):
There were letters and numbers written in ink (color of ink unknown) on the palm of the left hand of the victim. While there have been different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would have probably lasted 8-12 hours on living flesh.

Yes, they checked license plates and CB call handles.

I really wish they had taken pictures of the writing. I strongly suspect part of it had been erased, but at this point there's no way to tell.

Just for reference, here's the detailed description (from http://www.pamissing.com/bethdoe.html):
There were letters and numbers written in ink (color of ink unknown) on the palm of the left hand of the victim. While there have been different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would have probably lasted 8-12 hours on living flesh.

Well, what I said only applies to Pennsylvania. Someone did mention a highway in New Jersey early in the thread. It could well be a road, just not a Pennsylvania road.

Let's brainstorm a bit.
This woman wrote something on her hand. Let's assume that she knew it was the last minutes of her life. Put yourself in her place. If it were you, then what information would you try to convey?

Well, what I said only applies to Pennsylvania. Someone did mention a highway in New Jersey early in the thread. It could well be a road, just not a Pennsylvania road.

Let's brainstorm a bit.
This woman wrote something on her hand. Let's assume that she knew it was the last minutes of her life. Put yourself in her place. If it were you, then what information would you try to convey?

Well, I think it was something she wrote to get her to where she ran into the murderer, because I couldn't think of anything to write other than the murderer's name.

I suppose it wouldn't occur to me in those circumstances that they wouldn't be able to identify me, so I might think that somebody's initials would be enough to identify them.

I found a bus line in winnepeg that uses/used the initials wsr and has routes of 44 and higher. It seems to far if the ink wouldn't last that long though. It did get me thinking about the possibility of it being a bus or transit thing. I could see someone on a payphone writing that on their hand. ........ Just a thought.

http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/carboncountybethdoe.html

Its strange how the sketches do not look like the computer generated images, the lips are different. Bender was pretty good at what he did, I wonder if his sketch was based on pictures of her after her body was exhumed?

The two hand sketches look very similar. The difference through the chin and jaw seems to be that the older sketch tried to depict her as she might have looked without the bloating of pregnancy, while the second (Bender's) is probably exactly what she looked like.

I wonder if her mouth was damaged along with the nose.

It's great that they have her DNA but if she is not in the system it really doesn't help. Unless one of her family members had also been murdered.

Tried to click on the link, something is wrong with my computer (its ancient), and I couldn't read it.

Thanks for the link, I was able to see it, I had to update my adobe flash.

I wrote on my hand the other day to see how long it would last. Pretty much the 2nd time you wash your hands it is totally gone. Different inks would vary I suppose but normal pen wouldn't last long at all on a 3rd trimester woman who washes her hands after using the restroom.
Am I correct in assuming they checked license plates manually in 1976?

I wrote on my hand the other day to see how long it would last. Pretty much the 2nd time you wash your hands it is totally gone. Different inks would vary I suppose but normal pen wouldn't last long at all on a 3rd trimester woman who washes her hands after using the restroom.
Am I correct in assuming they checked license plates manually in 1976?

The ink they used to use in the ubiquitous Bic ballpoints would last a long time, through several washings. We used to use it to make fake tattoos.

By 1976, punch cards were widely used for billing and such (do not fold, spindle, or mutilate) but I don't know whether car registration data was computerized by then, or in what states.

One thing I noticed about the description of the writing: "...almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7." Makes me wonder if the writing had already been partly erased?

Sounds like the killer had became nervous and threw the bags whenever he had a chance. For cutting off the handles was probably done so police can't lift off the fingerprints.

I'd like to teleport in the past when this was going on and just beat the crap out the suspect this really is depressing and creepy. Some people do the most horrendous disturbing thins on Earth. May these people RIP.

The ink they used to use in the ubiquitous Bic ballpoints would last a long time, through several washings.

I did it again with a different pen and it did last much longer. I was wondering why - with all his efforts - he didn't get rid of the ink. Mistake? Or, he knew it had nothing to do with him and her.

Makes me wonder if the writing had already been partly erased?

I think so. I think there is something missing with that.

I do wonder about the timing though. That year it was the weekend before Christmas so I'm wondering if she had family that she really wanted to go see or if there was family who really wanted to see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74