Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they are still deliberating is promising.

I hope this is resolved so the Alexander family can at least not have this hanging over them this holiday weekend and enjoy some time with their families.

I just feel sad for travis' family and even him when people do not think that his life is worthy enough for his murderess to get the DP but if the murderess had killed others too, then it would be.

is ONE LIFE not worthy? is slaughtering an innocent person not enough? only if multiple people were slaughtered?

I guess I just don't get that reasoning *shrug*

The jury, in past decisions, has been aided by shoving down a meal. I got the distinct impression that a hungry jury was a quibbling, indecisive jury. Now they are restored by lunch, it will be possible for them to form one mind. They've done it before.

I know I get a bit pissy from time to time when I'm really hungry. Cooler heads prevail after eating a good meal.

Funny thing talking about Juan and the State offering a LWOP deal if the jury comes back hung. I have a gut feeling the murderess would say NO to a deal and take her chances with another jury knowing that if she could somehow hang the second jury, she'll have the slimmest of chance that Judge Stephens could give her LWP and the chance to get out eventually. I wouldn't put it past her.

It wouldn't be a "deal". The State can unilaterally take death off the table, then the sentence automatically becomes Life. The judge would then decide LWP or LWOP.

Seasoned trial watchers: Any other cases where the jury was deadlocked?
(andriano has been mentioned...)

I. am just surprised that they gave this decision so little time to decide they could not agree on the sentencing. One would think this would not be an easy decision and it would take perhaps days----why come back within hours so certain they were hung. It is like they just ran out of steam and decided to punt.

Not at all what I would expect from this jury.:moo:

Okay....so did the jury tell the judge:

We can't come to an agreement, what do we do now (i.e. what forms do we fill out?)

OR

We can't come to an agreement, can we have more instruction to help us come to an agreement?

I do not believe this judge would EVER sentence her to LWP. Nope, no way. So IMHO the 'best' she can hope for is LWOP. And those who think she'll be let out or will somehow escape to randomly kill people are just watching too many movies. She will be in maximum security.

It wouldn't be a "deal". The State can unilaterally take death off the table, then the sentence automatically becomes Life. The judge would then decide LWP or LWOP.

That sounds a lot more reasonable. Thanks!

Okay, it's time to bake. Cranberry white chocolate scones coming up.

I don't usually post but snuck in here from work to see if a verdict was reached -- perhaps this has been asked or stated but do you think perhaps the Jury hadn't reached a verdict and have just been reviewing the mitigating factors presented to them and before they actually take a vote just wanted to clarify what would happen if they were unable they were unable to reach an unanimous vote? Am I just grasping at straws or is this possible?

What's sad is that Arias just said that the Jury betrayed her, and she sits in there today with make-up and no glasses. She also demanded make-up for this interview spree she is going on. If she gets out she might go after a Juror. If i was a family member of a Juror i would be tempted to give them the heads up of what is going on--that she tried to 'dupe and manipulate you and it's still going on'. Also, many Death Penalty cases are knocked down to life with no parole--at least she can't get out with the Death Penalty.

Also--it's the first time i have been disappointed with this jury, not on their impasse so far, but that they all said they could vote for the death penalty when they signed on-- and came out just two hours later and said they are at an impasse.

I have a feeling these jurors were aware for sometime on each others view of giving her the death penalty. It surfaced just too quickly.

Seasoned trial watchers: Any other cases where the jury was deadlocked?
(andriano has been mentioned...)

I was an alternate on a drunk driving case that was a (seemed to me) slam dunk, and the jury hung. On Friday afternoon the foreman told the judge that. The judge ordered everyone home, and to come back at 9am on Monday. At 9:15 there was a verdict.

The instructs JSS gave the jury today was pretty much the same as the ones we got.

Not the same as a hung jury in the penalty phase of a DP, but it just goes to show. Sometimes taking a step back, getting some literal fresh air, thinking alone with yourself, and clear things up.

Funny thing talking about Juan and the State offering a LWOP deal if the jury comes back hung. I have a gut feeling the murderess would say NO to a deal and take her chances with another jury knowing that if she could somehow hang the second jury, she'll have the slimmest of chance that Judge Stephens could give her LWP and the chance to get out eventually. I wouldn't put it past her.

...and, more importantly, extending this ridiculous circus atmosphere longer where she is the center of attention.

From The State vs. Jodi Arias FB page:

I just got a message from Travis's close friend saying that they are all (family included) upset, but hold out hope that the Jury will return with Death.

In the meantime, remember, this has happened in many DP cases. In those cases the jury returned with Death.

Lets hope and lets stay positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member