Penn State athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child rape case #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw McQueary say he did the right thing and that it was stopped. Not that he stopped it or said anything, just that it did stop and that he did the right thing. The grandjury docs say that McQueary stated that the victim and Sandusky saw him (him being McQueary). To mean that says Sandusky stopped when he saw McQueary standing there. McQueary retreated to his office and called his dad while Sandusky got his victim dressed and out the door.

Had anyone called the police clearly he would have been in Sandusky's car or in Sandusky's home, physical evidence intact for the most part, an eye witness to the event and a child that could receive counseling.

My heart breaks for him. As a child that was abused and felt no one would help me I cannot imagine this little boy knowing that someone had seen what Sandusky was doing and they walked away. Nothing liking reaffirming a child's belief that no one will believe them or help them.

Part of me wants to believe that McQueary thought he did the right thing. I know in my heart he had heard that Sandusky was a pedophile prior because his shock at the situation was not great enough. More like being confronted by the truth than OMG my ex coach is raping a child in front of my eyes. If he drove by the same child after having seen him hit by a hit and run driver he would have helped him. But he knew the college knew about this man and his deeds and that calling the police wasn't the universally condoned response.

He knew about Sandusky, and he knew everyone else knew. I wish his dad had counseled him better that night, he was obviously looking for guidance and his first call wasn't to Joe P (and obviously wasn't to the police). His father was older, a professional, and not so emeshed in a clearly toxic environment of shame and secrets. He should have given the directive to call the police.

It is shocking how many people don't intervene. This case is a great example of multiple people knowing, multiple adults seeing children being raped, and no one doing anything.
Joe Pa notified the head of campus police. Was this sufficient? No.

I think the idea that reporting child abuse to your supervisor, and then it is their job to file the reports and contact the police should be abolished. I own a company and while it does not have any contact with children I would not write our employee handbook to give that directive. If you see a child being raped, call the police, then contact your direct supervisor who will meet you immediately and handle the corporate issues and reports AFTER the police have been contacted.

Even if my objective is corporate protection I think that is a pretty solid way to show a jury that as a company we made no personal evaluation of the legality of the situation and no one was protected other than the victim. The police can sort it out from there.

And even if the police said the case wasn't prosecutable for whatever reason I promise you a coach showering with a ten year old in his spare time would never have access to my facility again. No judgement on my part about whether he was actually touching the child or not, it is a reckless position to put yourself in as adult and certainly wouldn't tolerated in my facility.

Joe Pa contacted Tim Curley, Atheletic Director and Joe Pa's direct supervisor. Not the campus police. Schultz as at the meeting with McQueary and Curley ten days later. Schultz is the VP of finance and overseas the budget for the campus police department but he is not a police officer and neither is Curley.

Joe Pa did not contact the police.
No one did.

From your link:

Sandusky: "I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped. There are many that I didn't have -- I hardly had any contact with who I have helped in many, many ways."

I guess I heard this part last night (my husband walked in at one point so maybe I missed it). Regardless, reading it just now, I'm amazed. Almost as amazed as I was reading the "I wish I were dead" part of the presentment.

Thanks for posting the link, belimom.

BBM....That statement is very telling IMHO... So Sandusky didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs.. IMHO..He is admitting he was selective in picking out his victims...JMHO

I think the idea that reporting child abuse to your supervisor, and then it is their job to file the reports and contact the police should be abolished. I own a company and while it does not have any contact with children I would not write our employee handbook to give that directive. If you see a child being raped, call the police, then contact your direct supervisor who will meet you immediately and handle the corporate issues and reports AFTER the police have been contacted.

Even if my objective is corporate protection I think that is a pretty solid way to show a jury that as a company we made no personal evaluation of the legality of the situation and no one was protected other than the victim. The police can sort it out from there.

And even if the police said the case wasn't prosecutable for whatever reason I promise you a coach showering with a ten year old in his spare time would never have access to my facility again. No judgement on my part about whether he was actually touching the child or not, it is a reckless position to put yourself in as adult and certainly wouldn't tolerated in my facility.
Joe Pa did ban Sandusky from the locker room after hearing McQueary's statement. Sandusky was given his "locker room" access privileges in his retirement package at the university because of some terrible association with the Second Mile. Joe Pa had power, but he didn't hand out retirement agreements for State of Pennsylvania's employees.

I can't believe how creepy sandusky sounds in the Costas interview. He sounds like he's daydreaming of the boys when asked if he was sexually attracted to young boys. He cannot find a little indignation when he is speaking of charges that will put him in prison. He's not appalled that "we" think these things of him? I agree w/ someone above who mentioned sandusky's hatred for Paterno. Exactly, why eles risk getting caught in the most heinous of acts, not at 2 am but 9:30 pm, when most college campus's are still alive w/ human activity.Not in some hidden dark area (tho I'm sure he utilized any place he could to get what he wanted) he did these crimes in a well lit, well populated area in the heart of where Paterno did his business. No doubt in my mind that sandusky retired from football only because he knew his time was limited. He arranged to keep the glory of being a coach w/o having to do a thing for Penn state anymore.

I wonder how long the time was btween the school telling sandusky he was'nt allowed to bring second mile boys to the locker room and when he actual showed up w/ literally a boy on his arm? A day ? Two? I bet he smiled from ear to ear w/ a screw you look thrown in to Paterno. JMO

Joe Pa did ban Sandusky from the locker room after hearing McQueary's statement. Sandusky was given his "locker room" access privileges in his retirement package at the university because of some terrible association with the Second Mile. Joe Pa had power, but he didn't hand out retirement agreements for State of Pennsylvania's employees.

Sandusky retired in 1998.
He was given access as part of that package.
In 2002 Curley told McQueary Sandusky was not allowed to have children with him in the locker room. Sandusky was working out in the Penn State Facility last week and on recruiting trips. No one, Joe Pa or otherwise actually ever removed him from the facility. Some lip service was made about and rules made that weren't enforced. Victim number 1 of the indictment was at pre season training events at Penn State in 2008 as a guest of Sandusky, traveling with him, staying in his house. Six years after he wasn't suppose to have children in his care on the grounds per the 2002 agreement with Curley, and six years after Curley had notified SM of the allegations.

I am not isolating Joe Pa for any special responsibility to keep him out of the locker room. He didn't make any special effort to keep him out though, that is clear.

http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_19297655?source=most_viewed

I have to say I find the accusations against Jerry Sandusky very hard to believe. I have met and know Jerry through The Second Mile. Both of my daughters were a part of the Second Mile program, and it is a great program for kids. I would have never hesitated one minute to allow Jerry to be with my children.

He is being judged in the court of opinions. This man is innocent. I support Jerry 100 percent. I also ask that people please do not judge the Second Mile program. They are a great organization for at-risk children. The adults who run this program are the best counselors available. My children learned so many valuable things by participating in the programs offered.

Again, knowing Jerry Sandusky, I find it very hard to believe that he ever hurt any child that was in his company. Please stop judging him and let our justice system work. I think that when all is out and said and done Jerry will be found innocent of all of this.
DIANN BISHOP
MANCHESTER

Manchester woman: Second Mile counselors 'one in a million'
http://www.ydr.com/ci_19298196

Sounds like this person is nuts.

Schultz oversaw the campus police, he was not a policeman, he did not write tickets, make reports or arrest people. He just oversaw the police along with a lot of other stuff.

Schultz served as senior vice president and treasurer from 1993 to 2009. He returned to the job this year to fill in until someone else could be found. The Board of Trustees named a child care center on campus after him in January 2010.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...schultz.step.down.ap/index.html#ixzz1doOeN7PU

I have to say I find the accusations against Jerry Sandusky very hard to believe. I have met and know Jerry through The Second Mile. Both of my daughters were a part of the Second Mile program, and it is a great program for kids. I would have never hesitated one minute to allow Jerry to be with my children.

Okay. But would she say the same if her kids were sons rather than daughters?

Okay. But would she say the same if her kids were sons rather than daughters?

My thoughts exactly, but what a shocking statement to make nonetheless.

People are always surprised pedophiles are likable. If he looked like the boogeyman not many people would send their kids off for overnight visits.

Joe Paterno knew just what he was doing when he reported the incident to the Vice President and the Treasurer of Penn State. He knew what was important in Schultz's book. He knew he chose the right person to report it to when it never came out for 10 years.

"Daughters" being the operative word I would say, Ms. Bishop.

Joe Pa contacted Tim Curley, Atheletic Director and Joe Pa's direct supervisor. Not the campus police. Schultz at the meeting with McQueary and Curley ten days later. Schultz is the VP of finance and overseas the budget for the campus police department but he is not a police officer and neither is Curley.

Joe Pa did not contact the police.
No one did.
Shultz was not a policeman, but he was the was the head of campus police at that time and the vice president for finance and business.

Schultz - As the senior vice president for finance and business — which gives him oversight of university police "
http://www.npr.org/2011/11/08/142111804/penn-state-abuse-scandal-a-guide-and-timeline

"McQueary told Paterno, who passed the information on to athletic director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...sandusky-second-mile-20111114,0,1218746.story

Where can I read the bolded info above? TIA I am finding lots of different info.

People are always surprised pedophiles are likable. If he looked like the boogeyman not many people would send their kids off for overnight visits.

Exactly, a child molestor who looked like a weirdo would be unmasked very quickly. I remember when they found Shawn Hornbeck, the manager of the restaurant where Devlin worked gave interviews saying that he trusted Devlin with all the till takings because he'd known him for years and knew he was honest, reliable, etc. This is what people don't want to recognise - a paedophile almost always has some likeable, respectable qualities too. If they didn't they'd be far easier to catch.

The sad fact is most evil people don't look evil or the boogeyman at all. Nobody suspects it at all.

Shultz was not a policeman, but he was the was the head of campus police at that time and the vice president for finance and business.

Schultz - As the senior vice president for finance and business — which gives him oversight of university police "
http://www.npr.org/2011/11/08/142111804/penn-state-abuse-scandal-a-guide-and-timeline

"McQueary told Paterno, who passed the information on to athletic director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...sandusky-second-mile-20111114,0,1218746.story

Where can I read the bolded info above? TIA I am finding lots of different info.

Schultz served as senior vice president and treasurer from 1993 to 2009. He returned to the job this year to fill in until someone else could be found. The Board of Trustees named a child care center on campus after him in January 2010.............................................

But despite his job overseeing campus police, he never reported the 2002 allegations to any authorities, "never sought or received a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002," the jurors wrote. "No one from the university did so."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...schultz.step.down.ap/index.html#ixzz1doTwLyTA

What was it JoePa said the other day?...."I'm shocked"?...."He sure had us fooled"?

Things are becoming undeniable that Joe Paterno had not been shocked or fooled for many years regarding this monster.

-One thing we have to remember here, Mike, is the Joe Paterno we knew in 1998, when he surely knew of a Penn State investigation--he knew of everything. His players would get in a skirmish downtown and he knew about it before that player could pick up the phone and confess to him.

-Without question. They knew, especially in a place that small. People talk, people know, coaches know. They knew this guy was a freak, they knew he was an animal.

-Who knows what else Joe knows, I mean he is Penn State, he runs the police force, it’s a little town

http://ology.com/sports/full-transcript-mike-francesa-interview-kim-jones-about-penn-state-scandal

The powers that be at Penn state, and Paterno didn’t even care to know a little boys name. They didn’t care enough about him to find out what happened to him, or what his name was. That seems almost so despicable, it almost makes Paterno look like a fraud for everything he ever stood for.

ALMOST?

Sandusky retired in 1998.
He was given access as part of that package.
In 2002 Curley told McQueary Sandusky was not allowed to have children with him in the locker room. Sandusky was working out in the Penn State Facility last week and on recruiting trips. No one, Joe Pa or otherwise actually ever removed him from the facility. Some lip service was made about and rules made that weren't enforced. Victim number 1 of the indictment was at pre season training events at Penn State in 2008 as a guest of Sandusky, traveling with him, staying in his house. Six years after he wasn't suppose to have children in his care on the grounds per the 2002 agreement with Curley, and six years after Curley had notified SM of the allegations.

I am not isolating Joe Pa for any special responsibility to keep him out of the locker room. He didn't make any special effort to keep him out though, that is clear.
The ban against Jerry Sandusky was imposed in 2002, the year a graduate student claimed to see him assault a child in a locker room shower. But Sandusky held summer football camps through his Sandusky Associates company at the satellite campus just outside Erie from 2000 to 2008, Penn State Behrend spokesman Bill Gonda said.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...andusky.ran.camps.ap/index.html#ixzz1doTQSpKz

Erie, Pa is over 4 hours over away from State College, Pa. over some of the curviest roads in the USA.
I have not found a single article that states that any child was raped in Joe Pa's locker room since Sandusky was banned in 2002. Have you seen this? (I am not being snarky. I have only read and heard news reports stating that Sandusky found other places to rape his prey.) Where is the article about Sandusky showering in the Penn State locker room last week? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member