PERU - Jesse Galganov, 22, Canadian, Huarez, 29 Sept 2017

I wonder if there are any reports of kidnappings around the area he was planning to trek. If he were kidnapped, you would think there would be ATM activity or a random demand.

http://www.thesuburban.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/the-jesse-galganov-story/article_c4fd12dd-5130-5df2-8a2b-2c83a6166c24.html
Nov 22 2017

Jesse is a Shaare Zion son and member of the greater Montreal Jewish community and we have to rally behind his mother, Alissa Clamen, and his grandparents Miriam and Marvin Clamen and the rest of his family and all his friends.

Jesse celebrated his Bar Mitzvah at Shaare Zion on May 3, 2008. He is now 22 years old and in September after Rosh Hashanah left Montreal to travel the world for eight months before beginning medical school in the Fall of 2018.

Magnus International is helping with the search, which is an Israeli search and rescue company and Alisa gave them a psychological profile of Jesse.
Alisa Clamen, who’s back in Montreal after spending weeks flying between Peru and Israel to co-ordinate search-and-rescue efforts, said that no matter how long it takes and how much it costs, she will bring her son home.
After two weeks, (Magnus) still hasn’t found him. They did track down people who spent the night with him, the night of Sept. 30, and left him Oct. 1. That was the last time he was seen,” said Clamen.
“They believe he was heading towards the Panta Union Path. It’s treacherous terrain. There are many places where he could have gone off track … and they’re going through it systematically.… There are crevasses and his clothing was black, so it’s like searching for a needle in a haystack.”
“They went through the registries of all the people who had signed into the trek at different times.… They figured out who these people are and they contacted them, and the authorities never did this – neither the Peruvian, Canadian or American,” Clamen said.

I think it's actually called "Punta Union" and it's on the Santa Cruz trail and is the highest point on the trail.
http://www.cjnews.com/news/canada/israeli-company-assists-search-canadian-missing-peru

I found this review on Google Maps of Punta Union,
Usually people cross this pass around the second day morning of the trek. The last stretch before reading this pass involves quite a number of switch backs. It can be difficult for the acclimatized.

Some other reviews say that it was not easy to get there and that weather (I'm assuming rain) can make the high sections slippery.

Santa Cruz is not an easy hike. You must cross a high pass, Punta Union 4760m (15,617ft) — for most hikers a personal altitude record!The pass can be cold & windy. But the real danger on this hike is altitude sickness. Fortunately, the approach to the pass is long and slow allowing time to acclimatize. You can turn back, or rest an extra day, if you feel sick.

Here’s one itinerary recommended by Cordillera Blanca:
Day 1
: Huaraz – Cashapampa – Llamacorral (3700m)
Day 2: Llamacorral – Jatuncocha – Taullipampa (4250m)
Day 3: Taullipampa – Punta Unión pass (4750m) – Paria (3850m)
Day 4: Paria – Vaqueria – Llanganuco – Huaraz
https://besthike.com/s-america/central-andes/santa-cruz-trek/

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...alganov-in-peru-suspect-foul-play-mother-says
[h=1]Searchers for Jesse Galganov in Peru suspect foul play: mother[/h] "They are fairly certain that they didn't find him because someone does not want us to find him," Alisa Clamen says
After failing to find any trace of Jesse Galganov during a 35-day search in the Peruvian mountains, the owner of an elite Israeli search-and-rescue company suspects foul play.

“They are fairly certain that they didn’t find him because someone does not want us to find him,” Galganov’s mother, Alisa Clamen, told the Montreal Gazette on Monday. “The fact that nothing has been found, not a single item, is indicative to them of something criminal. They said: ‘We did not find Jesse because someone does not want us to find Jesse.’”

Clamen said she has no idea whether her son has been abducted and is still alive, whether he was murdered and has been buried, whether he had an accident or is being held against his will. “It could be anything,” she said, adding that there have been no ransom demands.

Bump!

I can't find anything new since the last devastating report dotr posted nine days ago.

Are police investigating this as a potential murder?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/peru-missing-montreal-search-still-on-1.4468922
Dec.31 2017
[h=1]'He's out there': Mother of missing Montrealer not giving up after searches come up empty[/h]
A Montreal mother whose son went missing in Peru said she won't give up until he's found, even though an elite Israeli search-and-rescue team she hired has failed to turn up any trace.

Alisa Clamen hired Magnus International Search and Rescue in November to search the rugged Peruvian terrain for any hints of her son Jesse Galganov, who disappeared in September while on a backpacking trip.

She said that after 35 days of unsuccessfully combing over every inch of the territory within several kilometres of her son's last known whereabouts, the search-and-rescue team believes foul play was involved.

"If he had fallen into the water or off a cliff they would have found him, had he been there undisturbed," she said in a phone interview.

"Their hypothesis is there's been some intervention."

"I have to be realistic and I have to keep looking for him no matter the result," she said.

"And if something happened and he's out there and not alive, I still have to bring him home."

"He's out there, and somebody knows where he is and what happened to him," she said.

I don't think Jesse was kidnapped, I feel the altitude might have affected him, or he could have been disoriented and got lost, or maybe had an accident

If he was robbed, I can't imagine the locals would have killed him and then make his body disappeared. The locals are really friendly people.

Huaraz, Caraz, Yungay all are in the "Cordillera Blanca" (part of the Andes Mountains).

Google images: https://www.google.ca/search?q=llan...qt7jYAhWC7YMKHUHNCRoQ_AUICigB&biw=934&bih=551

Fundraiser to aid search for Jesse Galganov
A fundraiser to aid in the ongoing search for Jesse Galganov is being held at the Adath Israel Poale Zedek Synagogue, 223 Harrow Crescent in Hampstead, 7 p.m. Tuesday Feb. 6.

The Feb. 6 event is called Live, Laugh, Paint and is billed as a “Helping Find Jesse-It Takes A Village” fundraiser.
All of the proceeds will go to the Missing Children’s Network, which has created the Jesse Galganov Fund to help in his family’s efforts to find him.

http://www.thesuburban.com/news/cit...cle_c2da1d5d-ac7f-5699-b5a2-28044018331c.html

[h=1]Jesse Galganov: Mother of Montrealer missing in Peru urges police to resume search[/h]
Jesse Galganov’s mother returned to Peru last week where she has been calling out local police for not taking her son’s disappearance seriously enough.
Alisa Clamen has been doing interviews with newspapers, a television station and local radio stations hoping that politicians and public pressure will force the police in Huaraz to conduct a more thorough investigation.

“I need the police to be on the ball,” Clamen said in an interview from Peru. “Something that pushes them is public awareness, so I have given interviews to radio stations that are (broadcast) in remote villages.”

Clamen said it’s beyond frustrating that the local police have not been diligent or motivated enough to find Galganov, who went missing while trekking through the Peruvian Andes at the end of September.
“It’s a different place here,” she said. “It’s partly cultural, but the police aren’t motivated. They need to be pushed.”
In order to entice locals to talk, Clamen has tripled the reward offer from $10,000 to $30,000 U.S. for anyone who can locate her son.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...missing-in-peru-urges-police-to-resume-search

Family marks birthday of Montreal man still missing in Peru
Published Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:56PM EST
As the parents of a missing Montreal man ramped up search and rescue efforts in Peru, they also marked his 23rd birthday on Thursday.

Jesse Galganov has been missing since late September while on a solo backpacking trip in Huarrez, Peru, where he went to hike the famous Santa Cruz trail.

After spending much of December analyzing data, the search team returned to Peru last month to continue their efforts.

They heard from two French hikers reported to have camped with Galganov on Sept. 30, and another French national who says they saw Jesse walking up the Punta Union pass.

The team is currently looking for four Americans who they believe crossed paths with Galganov on his travels, as well as a muleteer who may have seen him on the trails. The investigation has lead the team to speculate whether there may be a criminal explanation for his disappearance.

“I believe if Jesse was there somewhere visible they would have found him. But the fact that he’s not indicates that there is definitely foul play and someone was involved in something,” said Clamen. “There’s no way of knowing who saw him. The only way to do this is meticulously going through and just figuring out how to contact anybody who was there.”
(rsbm)

VIDEO at link: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/family-marks-birthday-of-montreal-man-still-missing-in-peru-1.3795792

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/family-marks-birthday-of-montreal-man-still-missing-in-peru-1.3795792
attachment.php

Attachments

• 27751579_154783075183356_3112172258107448918_n.jpg
    27751579_154783075183356_3112172258107448918_n.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 171
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/as-peru...-galganov-s-father-continues-search-1.3865900
As Peru's tourist season approaches, Jesse Galganov's father continues search
attachment.php

Published Friday, March 30, 2018 5:43PM EDT
The father of a Montreal man who went missing in Peru in September urged anyone with information to come to him or the media with any information on the whereabouts of his son.

“Don’t worry about the police, all we want to do is find our son,” said Todd Galganov while addressing media in Peru on March 28. “We’re not looking to prosecute anybody, we’re looking to find our son.”
Galganov questioned why there was a lack of markers in the national park where his son was hiking and said he felt a need to warn other parents and travelers of the dangers, especially after posters he had put up several weeks ago were removed.

“To all the community in the search area, hotels, hostels, restaurants, bars, guides, fruit vendors, tourist apartments, tours, you should all get together to help,” he said. “Coming into tourist season and my son is not found, I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to say something.”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 162
Between April 13 and 14, the eighth edition of the Summit of the Americas will be held at Lima, Peru and this will hopefully give Todd Galganov, Jesse´s father an opportunity to talk to one of people´s most influential leaders in the world. ¨It´s worth a shot and you can´t blame a fella for trying. Even though if I would only get one minute to speak to either Prime Minister Justin Trudeau or President Donald Trump, I will have to take this opportunity. That´s why I will be present at the Summit of the Americas with a massive banner¨.

Galganov also informed The Huaraz Telegraph that on a daily basis he is coordinating the do´s and don’ts with the Magnus International Search Company from Israel but that the search for his son has been rather frustrating lately. Galganov correspondingly announced the organisation of an awareness march which should be held simultaneously in different cities around the world. The march is programmed for May 13th and will see people wearing t-shirts in order of support for Jesse´s search. The father of Jesse stated that he will have a meeting with the mayor of Huaylas (Province to where Caraz belongs to) to facilitate the march in this city too. Other cities that were confirmed are Boca Raton, Florida, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Ontario and Paris. The awareness march also tries to support mothers of lost, kidnapped, victims of foul play and jailed children.

¨I am doing whatever it takes to call the local and national attention of the press and the locals in general here in Huaraz and also Caraz. My son hasn´t been found yet, and until he is, I will not stop. No one can stop me. Let me tell you that last Thursday I was interviewed by Frequencia Latina (one of Peru´s biggest nationwide T.V. channels) and they ran a special item on my son´s disappearance and the one of Spaniard Nathaly Salazar during Saturday´s midday programma Noventa Mediodía.

Additionally, on Friday I had a fruitful meeting with Carlos Milla, a former president of the local Agrarian Federation of the Ancash Department. On Saturday he was able to join a meeting with more than 20 peasant and community members which all belong to the Santa Cruz Valley and he shared posters of Jesse. According to my information the villagers are willing to help with the search. On the other hand; it´s worrying that no one ever spoke to them before. Although most said to have heard about the case, some were absolutely surprised to hear about a missing foreigner in their living area¨.

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2...pm-or-president-trump-in-order-to-find-jesse/

[video=youtube;42GS89hna1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GS89hna1U[/video]

AFAIK, This is unrelated to Jesse, but noting here because it involves a peculiar murder, allegedly involving a Canadian.
fwiw, speculation, imo.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/peru-canadian-death-1.4630476
[h=1]Peru deaths of Canadian and Indigenous healer under investigation[/h][h=2]Canadian who was thought to be a suspect in woman's killing was reported hanged[/h]CBC News · Posted: Apr 22, 2018
Authorities in Peru are investigating after an Indigenous spiritual leader was shot to death, a case that local media reports say resulted in the killing of a Canadian citizen, in reprisal for the murder.
Peru's El Comercio newspaper says the body of a Canadian was found Saturday by police in Ucayali.

The paper says a mob hanged the man and partially buried his body in a rural hamlet, about a 20-minute drive from the community where Olivia Arevalo was shot on April 19.

Jesse is the son of a friend's family friend. There were fundraisers held last weekend in Montreal, Toronto, Peru and NY to help raise funds for his parents who have both been in Peru since he went missing in September.

The Peruvian Army and Police force are launching a new 4 day search this week. Let's hope for some answers soon!

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2...four-day-search-for-jesse-galganov-next-week/

Watch VIDEO:

https://cf-ametv.ooyala.com/w3b2QzZjE6hV0q05Z0vJJEzmjTbF4eU-/DOcJ-FxaFrRg4gtDEwOmk2OjBrO6qGv_

Video Transcriptt:

Ahora estamos en otra locación que es visitada por mucha gente. Vamos a pegar afiches aquí.

Lleva más de seis meses sin ver a su hijo; sin embargo, aún mantiene la esperanza de poder hallarlo con vida. Para ello ha decidido poner todo esfuerzo posible para encontrarlo.

Este es el valle que estaremos cubriendo y así estamos; haremos todo lo que podamos con fé y esperanza.

Desde octubre, Todd Galganov no ha dejado el Perú en búsqueda de su hijo Jesse, un joven américo-canadiense con un futuro prometedor, quien decidió recorrer Sudamérica antes de ingresar a la Escuela de Medicina.

Él fue a Lima y directamente se fue a Huaraz, luego a Caraz y después subió a las montañas por el camino de Santa Cruz.

Este trayecto, bastante concurrido por turistas amantes de la caminata de montaña, consta de cuatro días. El objetivo de Jesse era llegar hasta la zona de Punta Unión, a más de 4500 metros sobre el nivel del mar.

El 30 de septiembre, cuando está en el campamento base número dos, se queda con unos turistas franceses y la mañana siguiente decide seguir subiendo solo.

El empresario contó que, en el marco de la Cumbre de las Américas, fue recibido por el Primer Ministro canadiense, Justin Trudeau, quien le transmitió su solidaridad. Sin embargo, lo que más desea el padre del joven de veintitrés años, es que los gobiernos estadounidense y canadiense puedan sumar esfuerzos para hallar al menos un rastro del paradero de Jesse.

Agradeció todo el apoyo brindado por las autoridades locales, pero instó a éstas a mejorar la seguridad en los parques nacionales.

El incansable padre aseguró que no dejará de buscar hasta saber lo que realmente pasó con su hijo. Incluso, realizarán una vigilia el próximo 13 de mayo en distintas ciudades de Canadá, Estados Unidos y Perú por Jesse.

Si lo encuentro y él ya está con Dios, en ese momento rezaré por su alma. Pero no tengo que hacerlo aún, tengo toda mi vida para hacerlo.
Él manifestó que toda ayuda sobre su paradero será recompensada.

942 483 188 (Teléfono de Ayuda)
Help Line

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo