Ramsey Home Walkthrough by Paula Woodward 1

Could this be the laundry chute? It is located in the hallway leading to the game -room, second floor:

Marker 8:26ff

attachment.php

[video=youtube;uWyAobuvP-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyAobuvP-E[/video]

-Nin

It could be and it could lead to the butler's kitchen (thought I saw a small door there in hall to the butler's kitchen). After the family remodeled the house though (and put the laundry room on the second floor next to JBR's room), it would have been useless I'm assuming.

You're right about BR -- he didn't have an en suite bathroom. Yeah, I just don't get it -- that is an odd choice to give your youngest child that bedroom; I would have never done that.

Only the best for Patsy's living doll. Burke was the Boy in the Background. That's how I see it anyway.

Anna, you have more guts than I do. I could never live in a home where someone was murdered. I could never understand why people wanted to live in the Amityville house :)

Perhaps JBR was moved to that room when PR was recovering from chemo, so PR could be closer to her? And later they decided not to move her back?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You're right about BR -- he didn't have an en suite bathroom. Yeah, I just don't get it -- that is an odd choice to give your youngest child that bedroom; I would have never done that. The other bedroom in the first video (that was shown with BR's and which I'm guessing was Malinda's) would have been the more logical choice. It would also have put JBR closer to BR, which also would have made more sense in that, the parent(s) could check on both without having to walk the extra distance; and wouldn't it just be human nature to want to have you r children (especially young children this age) closer in such a massive house? Why the heck would they need to be so separated within the household? I mean, I could see if they were older children in high school or early college but these were small children -- it's not like they needed their own separate wings to themselves.

This is a good image and really gives you a feel. One thing I'm confused on: I thought the Ramseys immediately left the house after the murder? John said he never stepped foot in it again, but PR was using it while undergoing chemo?

Image: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1da2994ca66b9e5f630/1470771677493/TS-4+C2.jpg
I thought patsy used that room during her first bout with cancer when jonbenet was just a toddler not during her final fight with cancer.

ETA : I too thought it odd that they had the rooms of a young girl child and her much older half brother in one area and the young boy in a wing with his much older half sister. Why not have a boy wing and a girl wing? I'm a girl and I would have wanted the room with a bathroom more than my brother would have. Just seems weird.

Userid
It could be and it could lead to the butler's kitchen (thought I saw a small door there in hall to the butler's kitchen). After the family remodeled the house though (and put the laundry room on the second floor next to JBR's room), it would have been useless I'm assuming.

Hi Userid. When I stack up the floor plans, it appears that the bottom of the chute would be in the back storage room on the west side of the basement, though it's not visible in any plans or film footage. It's unclear how the chute traverses the ground floor or how it might make a jog over to the butler's kitchen. It's an interesting thought to connect it with the door in the wall on the BK stairs, although that would be a pretty awkward place to collect laundry (and then it would have to be hauled up the other side of the BK and down the basement stairs to the main laundry area). I realize none of this is important to the case, that we know of; I'm just obsessed with the house.:nuts:

The Rams did use the laundry chute, though. At least JR did. Can't you just see him now, dropping his tighty whities into oblivion? The subject came up when detectives questioned JR about the wool shirt he wore Christmas night, trying to find out whether fibers could have transferred to another family member's clothing in the laundry. He said he used the laundry chute but would not have put the shirt in the laundry since it needed to be dry cleaned.

Oh good Lord. It has finally dawned on me: the laundry chute doesn't extend below the second floor. :facepalm:

The little door on the third floor was for the Rams to put things in, the door in the hallway below for the housekeeper to take things out. Maybe all smaller items were washed on the second floor, while only large items were washed in the basement -- JB's blanket and others, bedspreads, sofas, egos…...

For anyone who may be confused, many floor plans online have JAR's bedroom labeled as Melinda's, and vice versa. Here's one with the actual arrangement:

18217d1213072003-jonben-t-ramsey-floor-plans-floor2.jpg

If this had been our house when the children were little, I'd have put one child in Burke's room and the other in Melinda's. Both rooms open onto to the main staircase (at 11:00 in the video on p.1), which opens directly into the master bedroom above (no doors), creating a large air shaft great for carrying sound. Our bed would have been over Burke's room. If the children had needed help in the night, we'd have heard them and been downstairs in a flash.

No way would I have put my six year old one floor down, alone, at the opposite end of the house, and next to a stairway leading down to three handy entrances for an intruder (garage door, butler's pantry door, and the John Fernie Memorial Door by the kitchen). Not only would it have been harder to hear her in the night, but also, if someone had come to abduct her, by the time we heard anything it would have been too late. He'd have been out of there with her before we got down the back stairs.

Since I first saw the layout of the house it has troubled me that JBR was left isolated in a burglar-bait house with the security system turned off. What were they thinking? That part of the house isn't tricky. Anyone who'd come in through any of those entrances and gone up the spiral stairs would have been in no confusion about how to get back out.

So why was JB so far from her parents? Were they trying to keep BR and JB apart at night? Was Burke's room closer to theirs because JB tended to go there, not BR to JB's, and it would be easier to hear them? We may never know, but you have to wonder.

Melinda's room was JB's room originally. That was the plan. JB adopted the other room down the hall because it had a TV in it. Melinda was in nursing school and wasn't at the Ramsey home much. The two twin beds were for Beth and Melinda. JB didn't want to sleep in her bedroom because she liked the TV so the room became hers.

Linda Wilcox, former Ramsey housekeeper: http://www.acandyrose.com/s-linda-wilcox.htm

Thanks, BB. But why allow it, I wonder? It would have been more sensible to move the TV than to leave JB alone at the west end of the house once the older children were no longer there, unless there were other factors involved. Just my :twocents: of course.

I'm interested in why JonBenet would go to Burke's room at night when she wet her bed.

She had a twin bed in her own room.

Now possibly Patsy hadn't put sheets on the twin bed in JonBenet's room, but why not, if she knew that is what JonBenet needed?

Did JonBenet use the spare bed in Burke's room, or did she get into Burke's bed? I can't see any boy liking that arrangement of sharing his bed, especially if it happened most nights and not just once in a blue moon.

If Patsy had put sheets on the spare bed in Burke's room, then it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't have put them on the spare bed in JonBenet's room.

I'm guessing it is more likely that JonBenet went to Burke's room because she didn't like to be alone when she woke up, and she knew from past experience not to disturb her parents.

Another thing we're told by Patsy is that on Christmas Day JonBenet was playing with a new jewellery toy on the floor in the doorway of Burke's room. If it is true, that is another pointer to me that she gravitated towards company over enjoying her own room.

I thought patsy used that room during her first bout with cancer when jonbenet was just a toddler not during her final fight with cancer.

ETA : I too thought it odd that they had the rooms of a young girl child and her much older half brother in one area and the young boy in a wing with his much older half sister. Why not have a boy wing and a girl wing? I'm a girl and I would have wanted the room with a bathroom more than my brother would have. Just seems weird.

I see, thanks Flourish -- I didn't know she had battled cancer before. But yes, agree that it was also weird to have a "boy/girl, older/younger, half/half" setup with the rooms. Everything about it is just so weird. Malinda should have had JBR's bedroom and JBR should have had Malinda's, for the sole reason alone that the kids would have been closer to the parents in the house (since that staircase directly leads to the parent's bed area) -- let alone the fact that JBR's had a balcony that was more suited for an older sibling.

Appears as though the bed was against the East wall in the master bedroom.
http://www.acandyrose.com/047parentsbedroom.jpg

Wow, great picture -- thank you Kanzz, my initial speculation is confirmed. JBR was the furthest from all the rest of the family, on the opposite side of the house, in her own wing. Utterly ridiculous. It really infuriates me that the parents didn't have the common sense to move her to Malinda's room (unless due to some sinister reason to have her separated; then it infuriates me even more obviously, but that's nothing but conjecture). How long had Malinda been out of that house? She was 25 at the time, correct? All the more reason to leave those two rooms on that side of the house vacant for the two older siblings.

I'm starting to think JBR was given that room because of her bed-wetting problem and the fact that it had a bathroom inside the room itself, but there was a bathroom immediately across Malinda's room she could have used. I can't get over it -- it's just so fricking unconscionable that she was given that room, especially if it indeed was an intruder who did this (I don't believe this theory, just saying).

Userid

Hi Userid. When I stack up the floor plans, it appears that the bottom of the chute would be in the back storage room on the west side of the basement, though it's not visible in any plans or film footage. It's unclear how the chute traverses the ground floor or how it might make a jog over to the butler's kitchen. It's an interesting thought to connect it with the door in the wall on the BK stairs, although that would be a pretty awkward place to collect laundry (and then it would have to be hauled up the other side of the BK and down the basement stairs to the main laundry area). I realize none of this is important to the case, that we know of; I'm just obsessed with the house.:nuts:

The Rams did use the laundry chute, though. At least JR did. Can't you just see him now, dropping his tighty whities into oblivion? The subject came up when detectives questioned JR about the wool shirt he wore Christmas night, trying to find out whether fibers could have transferred to another family member's clothing in the laundry. He said he used the laundry chute but would not have put the shirt in the laundry since it needed to be dry cleaned.

Hi Meara,

I see, thank you -- you would have a much better idea about it I'm sure, considering I just started to delve into this in depth. You're right, it would be awkward -- and I forgot there was another laundry room in the basement. Is that just like an attic of some sort then (in the butler's kitchen)?

I have so many questions about this house. First, how many fricking sinks do you need in one house, seriously?

For anyone who may be confused, many floor plans online have JAR's bedroom labeled as Melinda's, and vice versa. Here's one with the actual arrangement:

18217d1213072003-jonben-t-ramsey-floor-plans-floor2.jpg

If this had been our house when the children were little, I'd have put one child in Burke's room and the other in Melinda's. Both rooms open onto to the main staircase (at 11:00 in the video on p.1), which opens directly into the master bedroom above (no doors), creating a large air shaft great for carrying sound. Our bed would have been over Burke's room. If the children had needed help in the night, we'd have heard them and been downstairs in a flash.

No way would I have put my six year old one floor down, alone, at the opposite end of the house, and next to a stairway leading down to three handy entrances for an intruder (garage door, butler's pantry door, and the John Fernie Memorial Door by the kitchen). Not only would it have been harder to hear her in the night, but also, if someone had come to abduct her, by the time we heard anything it would have been too late. He'd have been out of there with her before we got down the back stairs.

Since I first saw the layout of the house it has troubled me that JBR was left isolated in a burglar-bait house with the security system turned off. What were they thinking? That part of the house isn't tricky. Anyone who'd come in through any of those entrances and gone up the spiral stairs would have been in no confusion about how to get back out.

So why was JB so far from her parents? Were they trying to keep BR and JB apart at night? Was Burke's room closer to theirs because JB tended to go there, not BR to JB's, and it would be easier to hear them? We may never know, but you have to wonder.

THANK YOU! Completely agree. To try to answer your questions -- and again, this is stricly conjecture -- it has to make you wonder if some sort of abuse was going on, that they (or one of the parents) would want to keep their child so far away. There is no direct evidence of this -- granted -- but I honestly can't think of any other reason why parents would make such infinitely stupid decision not to move JBR to Malinda's bedroom; I can't believe parents would be that incompetent.

It also makes no sense why they would put a child in that bedroom with a laundry room area right outside the door. Wouldn't that be hard to sleep through (if doing laundry at night or in the morning, as PR supposedly was)?

THANK YOU! Completely agree. To try to answer your questions -- and again, this is stricly conjecture -- it has to make you wonder if some sort of abuse was going on, that they (or one of the parents) would want to keep their child so far away. There is no direct evidence of this -- granted -- but I honestly can't think of any other reason why parents would make such infinitely stupid decision not to move JBR to Malinda's bedroom; I can't believe parents would be that incompetent.

It also makes no sense why they would put a child in that bedroom with a laundry room area right outside the door. Wouldn't that be hard to sleep through (if doing laundry at night or in the morning, as PR supposedly was)?

Melinda's room was originally JonBenet's

LINDA WILCOX: Well, actually it was Melinda's bedroom. See, her bedroom, when I first got there, this was before the redecorating and JonBenet's room was next to Burkes. And they shared a bathroom. However, because she was um, and then the bedroom that became her bedroom, had belonged to Melinda, it was set up for Melinda and Beth. It had twin beds and it was called the "pink" room because it was mostly done in pink. JonBenet wouldn't sleep in her room because the pink room had a VCR - well a TV/VCR. Well, her dad especially, but sometimes Patsy, she didn't sleep well, would put her to bed with a bottle and a video so she was always sleeping in the other room. So, they named that her room. The small room next to Burke's became Melinda's room. But, of course, Melinda only visited, primarily, I mean, she was in nursing school so she wasn't there much. And from what I got from Suzanne later, became the pageant room. So that was originally her room but she wouldn't sleep in her room because it didn't have a t.v. in it.

Melinda's room was JB's room originally. That was the plan. JB adopted the other room down the hall because it had a TV in it. Melinda was in nursing school and wasn't at the Ramsey home much. The two twin beds were for Beth and Melinda. JB didn't want to sleep in her bedroom because she liked the TV so the room became hers.

Linda Wilcox, former Ramsey housekeeper: http://www.acandyrose.com/s-linda-wilcox.htm

Thanks! Couldn't they have simply moved the TV? Perhaps not, if it was cable -- but still, I would have never allowed my daughter to be so isolated nonetheless, especially with that door that leads outside right at the bottom of the spiral staircase; and the balcony.

Wow, great picture -- thank you Kanzz, my initial speculation is confirmed. JBR was the furthest from all the rest of the family, on the opposite side of the house, in her own wing. Utterly ridiculous. It really infuriates me that the parents didn't have the common sense to move her to Malinda's room (unless due to some sinister reason to have her separated; then it infuriates me even more obviously, but that's nothing but conjecture). How long had Malinda been out of that house? She was 25 at the time, correct? All the more reason to leave those two rooms on that side of the house vacant for the two older siblings.

I'm starting to think JBR was given that room because of her bed-wetting problem and the fact that it had a bathroom inside the room itself, but there was a bathroom immediately across Malinda's room she could have used. I can't get over it -- it's just so fricking unconscionable that she was given that room, especially if it indeed was an intruder who did this (I don't believe this theory, just saying).
I'm over-simplifying all of this probably, but my initial thoughts about JB & BR bedrooms - the little prince and princess each needed a balcony.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Couldn't they have simply moved the TV? Perhaps not, if it was cable -- but still, I would have never allowed my daughter to be so isolated nonetheless, especially with that door that leads outside right at the bottom of the spiral staircase; and the balcony.

It's pretty easy to move a cable wire. Especially when you can afford to pay someone to drill a hole, do a little splicing and run a wire for you. Heck, I can do it.

I seem to recall that the house was almost 2 houses. The original Tudor (?) style home and the weird attachment wing at the back. Only JonBenet was in that wing on a nightly basis. In her 1998 LE interview, Patsy said she could hear Burke in the bathroom at night but never JonBenet.

I can't understand wanting such a small child so alone at night when there were so many other more viable options. I suspect she went to Burke's room because she was sometimes afraid to be alone. Maybe she's the one who woke up that night and sought out Burke.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back