Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

I cried -- especially when I saw those eyes looking at the grass and wondering what it was. No animal should NOT know what grass and freedom feels like.

Bless the rescuers!

Mel

Loved this video, but it made me cry too. Bless their little beagly hearts!

can-i-be-your-lawyer-of-course-you-can-240x180.jpg

I watched this video about three hours ago. It took me two hours to get my wits about me and to stop bursting into tears at the poor beagle afraid to walk on the grass.

Just wanted to post up and say there may be a foster coming to live with the herd and Gracie. We'll know more on Saturday, but they have one who is in need of some reintegration and seems to be not doing well where he is now. So, I volunteered to foster him and work with him for a bit, and see where that leads.

I'll know on Saturday, I think. Just couldn't say no...just couldn't pass the chance to spread the love a bit further. There's plenty, so there will be enough to go around...and he seems to very much need some security and love and comfort at the moment.

Just thought I'd mention it.

:)

Best-
Herding Cats

How did I know you were going to do this? I'm serious, when I watched that video I instantly thought of you. I'm so glad you're taking this lil' guy in and I know he will probably do just wonderful with you. I'm all excited for tomorrow to hurry up and get here now, so you can let us know if you two connected and I'm super excited at the thought of following his progress with you if you do take him.

Momtective, LOL. Yes, I want tomorrow to hurry up, too...I'm wondering how his vax and neuter went today, and how he's coping. I did run out and get some of the calming drops (herbal stuff, with Vit. B complex) for him, just in case he needs it if he comes tomorrow.

TBH, I'm wondering what got into me. LOL...but it's "just a foster", LOL...and he needs someplace he can recover and heal and become a dog again. Hopefully, it will be a good match (not just for me, but he needs to be happy about it, too), and I can help this guy out. And if not, I've told them they can use me at any time in rescues in the future.

We'll see how tomorrow goes...and I think it's hysterical that you thought of me when you saw the vid. I suppose my "crazy animal lover" reputation precedes me. ROFL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Just off the phone with the rescue folks, and I'll go meet #13 tomorrow. He came through the vet and treatments very, very well, and didn't have anything unusual to report. In other words, he's pretty healthy. This is good.

Tomorrow at noon I'll go to their place, and meet him...and we'll take it from there. BTW, if you want to see him, click http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/photos.php and he's 4th down on the left side, laying on concrete and looking forlorn.

Apparently, his only issue aside from being a lab dog, is that he's really shy/timid....and that is understandable. And if it's just that which is the problem, while it will take time, it should be a fairly easy issue to address. Time will do wonders, I think.

Just thought I'd let you guys know...I'm getting a little excited now. :)

Best-
Herding Cats

Just off the phone with the rescue folks, and I'll go meet #13 tomorrow. He came through the vet and treatments very, very well, and didn't have anything unusual to report. In other words, he's pretty healthy. This is good.

Tomorrow at noon I'll go to their place, and meet him...and we'll take it from there. BTW, if you want to see him, click http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/photos.php and he's 4th down on the left side, laying on concrete and looking forlorn.

Apparently, his only issue aside from being a lab dog, is that he's really shy/timid....and that is understandable. And if it's just that which is the problem, while it will take time, it should be a fairly easy issue to address. Time will do wonders, I think.

Just thought I'd let you guys know...I'm getting a little excited now. :)

Best-
Herding Cats

Oh, he has such a sweet face, those eyes! Hounds just look like they're seeing into your soul. Please post some pics when he gets home!

Also, for all you beagle fans, there is a cute website devoted to them called beagelface. http://www.beagleface.com/

If he comes, Tuffy, I will. You guys know how horrible I am at photo taking, though.

I leave in about 45 minutes; have an errand to run before I go to the rescue, and then, will meet this boy and see if we can't make a match, and see if I can't help this boy back on the road to recovery.

I'll post up when I get home.

Best-
Herding Cats

you are an :angel2: and I hope its love at first sight for this :beagle:

:poke: I'm eagerly awaiting the results from your visit...

If he comes, Tuffy, I will. You guys know how horrible I am at photo taking, though.

I leave in about 45 minutes; have an errand to run before I go to the rescue, and then, will meet this boy and see if we can't make a match, and see if I can't help this boy back on the road to recovery.

I'll post up when I get home.

Best-
Herding Cats

I'm so very excited to read your next post. You are a good person.

aw HC, you have the biggest most caring heart of anyone I know. I should have realized you couldn't see that video and not get involved. Bless your heart. I hope everything goes well with the introductions and that maybe your ever growing family will come to include #13 (aka Elvis).

For #13 aka Elvis.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iVI95H8Bmo"]Beagles, Unconditional Love - YouTube[/ame]

So, Mr. Elvis is here now. Of course he is. You all knew that he'd come home...I may have fooled myself, but not really.

This is one terrified, confused little guy. Totally freaked about absolutely everything. I sneezed, and he flinched. I blew my nose, and he considered falling over. Right now, he's in a pen in the living room, on a nice thick pillow, and my shirt that I was wearing when I met him...and he's very, very tired and worried. So he'll be staying there for a bit.

He has met Gracie (no problem), and Malachi and Oliver are sitting on the recliner watching "Elvis" fall asleep. Elvis doesn't want to sleep, because he's stressed out, but he's very, very tired and thinking he should go on and snuggle down and crash out. LOL.

I will post more in a bit, but for the moment, I kinda want to just...hang...with him. And I am thinking his name isn't Elvis...it's more like Sebastian.

More later.

Best-
Herding Cats

So, Mr. Elvis is here now. Of course he is. You all knew that he'd come home...I may have fooled myself, but not really.

This is one terrified, confused little guy. Totally freaked about absolutely everything. I sneezed, and he flinched. I blew my nose, and he considered falling over. Right now, he's in a pen in the living room, on a nice thick pillow, and my shirt that I was wearing when I met him...and he's very, very tired and worried. So he'll be staying there for a bit.

He has met Gracie (no problem), and Malachi and Oliver are sitting on the recliner watching "Elvis" fall asleep. Elvis doesn't want to sleep, because he's stressed out, but he's very, very tired and thinking he should go on and snuggle down and crash out. LOL.

I will post more in a bit, but for the moment, I kinda want to just...hang...with him. And I am thinking his name isn't Elvis...it's more like Sebastian.

More later.

Best-
Herding Cats

But of course he is...was there ever really a doubt. :giggle:
So glad y'all are home and Sebastian is considering settling in...he'll come around, I just know he will.
:loveyou::beagle::loveyou:

He's cracking me up. He lays down, sleeps for about 30 seconds, and the sits up again...wobbles, and falls over asleep. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. Bless his heart.

I may have to break out the rescue remedy herbs I've got...just so he'll sleep a bit. Everything is always better after a nap...kwim?

Best-
Herding Cats

Oh, the poor little guy. I am so glad to hear that you are taking him in and helping to mend his trust.

I always feel better after a sleep. It sounds like he is hyper-vigilant, a very common side effect of trauma.

Please keep the updates coming. You have my prayers for his progress.

He is completely hypervigilant. I am going to give him a few more minutes, and then drop some herbs into him, to help him settle. Seriously, he's sitting, falling asleep, falling over, then sitting up again...over and over.

BTW, all the kitties want to know what's going on...they're all interested. I don't think they know he's a dog, because all they're used to is Gracie...and she's so big compared to him. LOL. So they're not sure what to think of this boy.

Let's see how this plays out.

Best-
Herding Cats

Everytime... I click on this thread, I cry! But everyone tear is a happy one! YOU ROCK !!!!!!:great::rocker:

I don't have any experience with rescued dogs, but I wonder if there is any chance that he might be less hyper-vigilant if there was a crate for him to sleep in (as this might be what he knows?). Perhaps with the door open?

You obviously know dogs much better than I do, but my thinking is that if he felt protected from the 'outside', perhaps he would let his guard down a bit to sleep?

Of course there is a chance that it could lead to more anxiety for him...like I said, no experience in this area, so it's just a thought.

What a huge heart you have.

:heartbeat:

He is completely hypervigilant. I am going to give him a few more minutes, and then drop some herbs into him, to help him settle. Seriously, he's sitting, falling asleep, falling over, then sitting up again...over and over.

BTW, all the kitties want to know what's going on...they're all interested. I don't think they know he's a dog, because all they're used to is Fracie...and she's so big compared to him. LOL. So they're not sure what to think of this boy.

Let's see how this plays out.

Best-
Herding Cats

HC... you are simply wonderful. :blowkiss:

I have a theory about little Sebastian. And it's very very sad. I'm a member of PETA but I had to stop looking at any pictures or videos they had because it was too much for me to take: I saw where some of these animals are kept in contraptions that keep them from being able to lie down or anything of the sort --- 24/7. It's absolutely horrific what they do to these animals.

I wonder if something like that happened to Sebastian? I wonder if his nervousness is a combination of the new environment/fear and also of the uneasiness of being able to lie down and get comfortable?

Bless his little 'beagly heart' and those wonderful soulful eyes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back