Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

No, he's not bonded with me. He's a long way from that, I think. He's got a lot to work through before he can (and "should") trust humans. But I think, even though it's been just over 24 hours, he's beginning to trust that he's not going to be hurt - at least, not constantly. He's starting to be able to relax...he's not tightly curled into a ball; he's not watchful, wary; he's not trying to stay awake so he can see what's coming. He's nowhere near relaxed, not like we know it (like Gracie...she's relaxed; she's sleeping on her back, all legs splayed outward. Now, that's relaxed!)...but he's as relaxed as I've seen him, and I think he's relaxed as he's been in a long while.

He's dreaming, now. Just let out a huge sigh, and his legs are twitching. I wonder what he's dreaming of? His nose is twitching, too. It's cute...and it's good. Sleeping deeply enough to dream is healing...and so hopefully, maybe, he's starting to heal; just a wee, tiny bit...but it's more than yesterday. And that's good.

Shutterfly, yes...the names drop out of the sky. It's so weird...

LimeCola, I called him Toby, but he didn't do anything. 'Course, he didn't do anything when I called him Sebastian, either. I don't think he knows he is supposed to have a 'name'...rather, I suspect his cage had a number, and if he was called anything, it was by number.

Just something else for him to learn...names.

Sigh. I'm probably going to head to bed early; I'm tired, and have had a hard few days...and haven't been sleeping well. So I think I'll take something to help me snooze, and see if I can't have a good dream, and do some of my own healing sleep.

Still not sure if I'm going to move him. Probably not...he's quite secure where he is right now, and I can't see a need to have him in the bedroom while I sleep...don't really see a need. The worst that can happen if he stays in the living room is a kitty will come snuggle him. And it's not like they haven't been trying to do that today anyway. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: I'm going to leave him in the living room, in his spot, for the night. I'm watching Oliver walk around Toby/Sebastian's pen, and investigate...T/S isn't even the least bit interested...Ollie just sniffed his toes, and then his belly, and T/S didn't even open his eyes. I went ahead and gave him a dose of herbs, hoping that will help him sleep through the night (or at least most of it), so we will see how he does "alone" in the living room.

3, 2, 1...I'm outta here for the night. See you all in the morning (and thanks, as always, for the support and help and friendship...I do appreciate you all very much).

Been following this for the last day or so. I really do admire you, Herding Cats, for adopting this dog in need. I also thank you for your updates. As far as his name goes-- it's okay to test them as I've done that with my dogs. The correct name will come to you as he begins to reveal his Spirit. It is hard to name them when they don't know who they are. Lots of love and hugs to S/T and to you.

Every pet I have or had was a rescue. The most psychologically damaged.. I rescued a two year old doberman that was raised in a cage his whole life. He stood in his cage, ankle deep in feces, only hosed down occasionally, terrified of everything when I came upon him. I couldn't even coax him to come out of the cage..I had to drag him.

I brought him home, threw him in the tub and then off to the vet we went. When I got him back home, I brought him to my bedroom and he hid in my walk in closet behind the laundry basket. I fed him every meal by hand piece by piece. I'd gently pet him and talk soothingly when I fed him but basically would leave him alone only dragging him out to walk. One day he ventured out to find me and sniffed around a bit before going back into hiding. Everyday he started to venture out longer and longer.

The vet warned me he may never be able to be housebroken. When he pooped in the house, I'd carry it outside , same with the paper towels used to clean up the pee and when I walked him, in the back yard, he'd sniff it. After a week he figured it out!

It took almost a year for him to stop being startled in the house by a sudden noise. He's shake like a leaf and hide. He trusted me fairly quickly and would jump into my lap and tuck his face under my arm during thunderstorms and vet visits for the rest of his life. He was a terrific dog, over came a lot but the poor guy did have lasting effects. He never did learn to trust humans outside of my own family. But he lived a long safe life knowing his was very much loved.

Oh, what a night! In a good way, I think, but still. LOL.

T/S got out of the pen sometime during the hours of 1 and 6...peed on the carpet (no big deal...), and I am not sure if he pooped or not (haven't discovered it yet). I put him back in the enclosure I have, cleaned the pee spot, gave everyone breakfast, and went back to bed. Kitties seem to be fine with him wandering, and he negotiated the stairs (just two) to the den, where I found him in the dark and cold, sitting by the back door.

And it was truly cold - 35.6*. I put him back into his enclosure, got Gracie up and out, and got everyone fed...then went back to bed. (I've been sleeping very badly for about a week now, so am dragging a lot).

Got up again about an hour ago, and he'd again gotten out...but this time, apparently also tried to get back in. LOL. I discovered him just outside where he'd gotten out earlier, but I had blocked that area and he'd used a different route this time to leave. Problem was, he couldn't get back in that way (the way the pen was set, it was not an entrance, apparently).

The good news is that he wanted back into a 'safe spot', has peed (again, so twice), and seems a bit more willing to explore (or possibly 'escape'), which means he's interested in his surroundings. It doesn't mean he's less fearful, though, but he's brave to go exploring a house in the cold and dark. Or he really wants to escape. LOL.

If I can get him accustomed to a leash, I'll take him out back for a while today. He needs to start exploring, but I'm not ready to let him do it alone...he needs to learn the house, but again, I want him to learn it with me.

I love - LOVE - that he's been getting out. I know that sounds dumb, and that the motivation is probably fear and a longing to escape, but it's showing that he can overcome his fear and do something for himself. If that makes sense. It's a start at learning he can do things, and no bad things happen, and that he can start trusting himself and his instincts again.

It's good news. To me; maybe not to anyone else, but to me. LOL. And yes, Penelope, he will start to show his ownself over time, and he will make sure that he gets a name he deserves. For now, though, he's "Sweet boy" and "T/S".

YAY Tobias/Sebastian! Way to go exploring, and beginning to learn how to be independent! WOOT! And I don't care about the pee-ing...there's probably nothing in this house that hasn't been pee-d on at some point or another, and pee is clean-able. So YAY, Sweet Boy, just big YAY!

:)

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: Linda, I have no concern that he won't learn how to be housebroken...it may take time and methods different than other dogs, and I'll definitely use the rags idea...but I suspect he'll be housebroken fairly soon. And thank you for taking that pup in...you made a huge difference, and that's important to the world. Hugs.

We're cheering along with you! About a dog who broke out of a pen multiple times and peed twice in the house... LOL!

Seriously, I understand what you're saying and I'm happy, too -- soooo happy that he is showing some initiative, because - to me - that means he is starting to care/think on his own. Otherwise, he would just have sat there all night on his little spot, kwim?

:woohoo:

We're cheering along with you! About a dog who broke out of a pen multiple times and peed twice in the house... LOL!

Seriously, I understand what you're saying and I'm happy, too -- soooo happy that he is showing some initiative, because - to me - that means he is starting to care/think on his own. Otherwise, he would just have sat there all night on his little spot, kwim?

:woohoo:

That is exactly IT! He's showing initiative, and starting to think on his own. Which has to be a fairly new experience, and definitely one I'm not going to correct just yet (the pee-ing can be worked on later...I want him to think and begin to explore and make decisions for himself...).

Glad you get it. 'Cause that's exactly right...he's not just sitting in his own little safe spot...WOOT! for the sweet boy. Just big WOOT.

Best-
Herding Cats

That is exactly IT! He's showing initiative, and starting to think on his own. Which has to be a fairly new experience, and definitely one I'm not going to correct just yet (the pee-ing can be worked on later...I want him to think and begin to explore and make decisions for himself...).

Glad you get it. 'Cause that's exactly right...he's not just sitting in his own little safe spot...WOOT! for the sweet boy. Just big WOOT.

Best-
Herding Cats

Yay! He's acting like a dog. :D

I found the POOP! Woot!

The goin'-ins are good, the comin'-outs are good...now just to get on top of that nascent infection, and all will be well with him physically.

I am glad I found the poop...as a first semester nursing student, we were told we'd never be happier than when we had poop in the right place, lookin' good. I thought they were bonkers...but it's true. With patients and critters, if the in's are happenin', and the out's are happening, the rest can generally be worked with.

Tee hee, the poop has commenced. :)

Best-
Herding Cats

lmao (we really need to get an emoticon for that, something like a smiley with a large butt which "falls off" during a laugh)

Yay! Poop!

So the in works and now we know both outs work as well. Each day brings exciting new progress.

Just wanted to post up and say there may be a foster coming to live with the herd and Gracie. We'll know more on Saturday, but they have one who is in need of some reintegration and seems to be not doing well where he is now. So, I volunteered to foster him and work with him for a bit, and see where that leads.

I'll know on Saturday, I think. Just couldn't say no...just couldn't pass the chance to spread the love a bit further. There's plenty, so there will be enough to go around...and he seems to very much need some security and love and comfort at the moment.

Just thought I'd mention it.

:)

Best-
Herding Cats

OMG Herding Cats, you're awesome!! I so wish I could foster or adopt one (or two, or three!) but I'm just not in a position right now to do it.

Please keep us posted!!

BBM--

I am the exact same way but I have never verbalized that to anyone because it sounds so horrible. I am glad to know that someone else feels this way.

That video broke my heart. Those poor little dogs not wanting to leave their cages because that's all they've ever known....ugh. I am so glad that these little guys got a happy ending, though. And I am with whomever said that their heart melted when one of the dogs kissed the man in the van....that was precious!!

Well, I'm glad there are at least two people other than me who feel this way.

I watched this video about three hours ago. It took me two hours to get my wits about me and to stop bursting into tears at the poor beagle afraid to walk on the grass.

I know Shutterfly, It took a lot for me to get through that video & I still tear up thinking about it.

OK, I posted above posts before reading to the end of the thread LOL.

Herding Cats, you seriously rock!! :rocker:

Linda, I thought that feeding him would be a good idea, like you did for your pup...but T/S refused all bits from my hand, and would not approach the dinner bowl if I was close. So, instead of taking the food away and trying later, I just wussed and gave him his bowl and moved a bit away.

He has also refused all treats from my hand, and actually had refused those in his bowl, too. I don't think he knows what they are. I know he doesn't know what a bone is...I gave Gracie and him a marrow bone, but even watching Gracie, he didn't eat his.

So...there are a lot of little lessons we can work on over time...but I don't want to force anything right now.

BTW, he's gone all day without herbs, and even was so deeply asleep he was snoring. LOL. I have removed the enclosure altogether, and he now has free roam of the house. I am sure he will go exploring once I go to bed, but he's remained on "his" hearth...his back is protected, and he can see most everything from his spot, so he's feeling safe and happy there. I am thrilled he's chosen to remain in the same room as me, and still doesn't seem to be at all coincerned about the cats.

Best-
Herding Cats

I know Shutterfly, It took a lot for me to get through that video & I still tear up thinking about it.

Imagine that in your living room. It's both amazingly hard and amazingly incredible. It's hard to picture, but T/S is worse than any of the ones on the vid. He doesn't kiss, doesn't even look at you straight on; he has no concept of dog-hood. He's sooo terrified and traumatized, that he doesn't even move if Gracie accidentally bonks him while she's sniffing him.

Two very cool things to report for the last note of the evening...

1. He was sleeping, so I laid down on the floor next to him. I stroked his head, and after a few minutes of that, he shut his eyes, and went back to sleep with his head on a stuffy that Gracie put in front of him.

2. Gracie got another marrow bone tonight (yeah, I'm spoiling her. LOL). She's laying right in front of him, on the floor in front of the hearth, chewing away...and he's watching. I wonder if he's trying to figure out what Gracie is doing, and if it's something he should give a try to. LOL...

I am not going to enclose him tonight. I will hunt down the potty spots in the morning, but I want him to have the whole house to roam in, explore, and decide about. He can access several different water bowls, and he will have no way to get out, so I'm not worried. And since he and the cats get along just fine, I'm not worried about him chasing them...we will see how it goes, of course, but I'm thinking it will be all right, and he will be happier exploring and not confined.

I think, if it's not too windy, I will give him a leash lesson in the backyard tomorrow. It will be hard to motivate him, considering he'd not praise motivated and also not treat motivated...but I'll think of something. LOL. The challenges this little sweetheart poses are very, very interesting...I'm open for suggestions and ideas, if anyone has any.

Hugs to all...and shy eye blinks from TS.

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats - Thank you so much for taking T/S in and keeping us all updated on his progress. I've got a beagle myself (along with two cats and another dog), so the video of the rescued beagles - and reading about them - has really touched my heart. You're doing a great job!

Just had to post once more...because TS made me cry. Gracie was chewing her bone, as I posted, so I went over to them, sat between them, and just petted both of them at the same time. Gracie licked my hand, and then my face...and then TS licked my hand...two very tentative swipes of his tongue, but definitely licking and not an accident.

Of course I just cried. He didn't do it a second time, but still...he did it. And that was the sweetest kiss...just the sweetest kiss.

Just thought I'd get that up here, just so you all know...and can smile with me. :)

Best-
Herding Cats

Just had to post once more...because TS made me cry. Gracie was chewing her bone, as I posted, so I went over to them, sat between them, and just petted both of them at the same time. Gracie licked my hand, and then my face...and then TS licked my hand...two very tentative swipes of his tongue, but definitely licking and not an accident.

Of course I just cried. He didn't do it a second time, but still...he did it. And that was the sweetest kiss...just the sweetest kiss.

Just thought I'd get that up here, just so you all know...and can smile with me. :)

Best-
Herding Cats

I think he will let you know, in his own way, what works best for him. It will just take time. Much more time than with a "regular" dog. I'm sure it's all so overwhelming for him. Just find a routine & stick with it and I bet he starts to come around, and settle in.

I admire so much what you are doing for him. Thank you!!

This is my favorite thread on WS!!!!! Bless all animals and all animal lovers. Ms. HC, you are a very special person.

Best-
Herding Cats

Awww! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I've got tears in my eyes (again). I'm going to take my critters to bed now and remind myself how lucky we all are to have each other.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back