Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/14/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a mitigating circumstance is introduced in allocution, the prosecution may rebut it. If the defendant disputes his or her guilt during allocution (I think that was what happened in the Chappell case), then he/she might be subject to cross-examination. Presumably KN and JW would script JA's allocution to avoid anything that would trigger a right to cross.

Interesting. You don't think Jodi would write her own. During the first one we suspect that the DT was not behind the survivor Tee?

Interesting. You don't think Jodi would write her own. During the first one we suspect that the DT was not behind the survivor Tee?

Does anyone think she will actually break out the Power Point again? That was so very ridiculous.

I assumed her counsel had approved her allocution. I mean, if you want to talk about ineffective assistance of counsel, letting your client plan her own allocution with no help might qualify.

AZL what do you think of the timing of the two victim impact statements? I think they might have Samantha speak too but later? Does that make sense?

I thought the VIS for the retrial were really early, too, until I watched the penalty phase from last year again on YouTube. It's the same.

Well, the dance is the same this time, but the music is playing like a 77RPM record on 33.33. The entire penalty phase last time lasted from Thursday, May 16 to Thursday, May 23—with court dark that Friday the 17th and no court (not sure why not) on Monday the 20th. The jury began deliberations on Tuesday.

I have been reading articles about computer forensic examinations. Some of it I understand and some of it gets so technical that I get lost.

BUT I can say that it appears that enough encrypted safeguards are installed when the original forensic copy of a hard disk is made that if changes were made to files on the hard disk later, it WILL be detected. And the dates, times and types of changes would show up by making a comparison of the original forensic mirror disk with a newly made forensic mirror disk.

Which is likely why Juan Martinez wants a new forensic exam of the computer at this time.

Okay, another thing. In every article I've read, including extensive courtroom notes by Beth Karas, no one mentions the psychologist who just testified for two days being asked to list her education. Was she not even asked or did this not make it into anyone's tweet or article?

If not asked, that is very unusual.

Okay, another thing. In every article I've read, including extensive courtroom notes by Beth Karas, no one mentions the psychologist who just testified for two days being asked to list her education. Was she not even asked or did this not make it into anyone's tweet or article?

If not asked, that is very unusual.

I bet Juan will ask. LOL :pillowfight:

Oh I am sure Juan will review Dr Fonseca's CV. I don't even understand why she was called. Her specialty is unusual sexual practices and the psychological make up of those individuals. I haven't seen the relevance of her testimony. To me she could have been describing anyone in their 20's or 30's. It was the age of sexual awakening for alot of us. I can speak for myself here, but that was the age of '"fooling around" before settling down and finding "the one" for me. I think Travis was late to the game and absolutely overwhelmed with a nymphomaniac that was the murderess. He knew all these nice girls with intact morals like Lisa & Mimi and then unfortunately met this "sex kitten" with much more experience & willing to do all these things with him.
Just think of how many lives the killer has ruined - the Hughes, Lisa (slashed tires, anonymous hate mail) & Deanna too, who had to admit on the witness stand that she and Travis had made love, and I say this because I think Deanna & Travis were soul mates but marriage was just not in the cards for them. I think Deanna is married now, not sure, but she still has Napoleon, that shows how close they were.
I respect psychologists, but this testimony of Dr Fonseca's is just psychobabble to me - just like ALV & Dr Samuels. Dr Demarte spoke like a real clinician, she cited real diagnoses with plenty of relevant examples to make it easier for a jury to understand & correlate the killer's behavior to the diagnosis. I hope she comes back to help Juan.

Good Morning All

Could someone give a short synopsis of what happened at end of day yesterday?
I had to work, but I know they were supposed to end early.
Is that woman still on the stand? Will she be back next week?
When do they start next week...Mon? Tues?
Thanks so much!

education

AZ, do you think this is the secret witness they wanted to hide because she's too close to Alyce LaViolette and Robert Geffner?

She doesn't list any other than the Professsional School of Psychological Studies, and that gets her close to Geffner ,and Geffner is called Bob by LaViolette.

I remember in trial 1 looking at Geffner's tax-free institute and deciding it was a racket. Just like with public school teachers, continuing ed credits are required to maintain therapist/counselor licenses, and the seminars at "Bob's" with fellow-traveler speakers like ALV and the current witness provide those credits. Between tax-free donations and the millions in state/fed grants, Bob et al make a very good living providing little or nothing of actual value imo.

In either trial have the 82,000 text-emails-calls between JA and TA been broken down to show how many originated with JA and how many with TA? I'm guessing the vast majority, especially after their short officially-dating stint, were JA 24/7 determinedly trying to reach TA, and TA hounded into eventually responding. I'd also like to see a visual charting her jobs and housing while in Mesa, because it would likely prove her instability and rootlessness apart from the tentacles she'd wound around TA. JA was the parasite, and TA was the unwilling host.

I know this didn't turn out the way the plaintiff wanted it to, but, just find this such a pattern with the so called domestic violence "experts".....

I. Background

Michael Huftile filed a 42 U.S.C. § 1983 complaint seeking damages, declaratory relief, and injunctive relief against Dr. L.C. Miccio-Fonseca in federal district court on July 17, 2003.   When he filed the complaint, Huftile was being detained under California's Sexually Violent Predators Act (“SVPA”).   The SVPA provides for a two-year term of civil commitment if a court or jury determines beyond a reasonable doubt that an individual is a “sexually violent predator.”  Cal. Welf. & Inst.Code § 6604.   Huftile contends that Dr. Miccio-Fonseca's “policies, practices, and customs” in performing an SVPA evaluation of him violated his constitutional rights to due process, privacy, and equal protection.The events underlying Huftile's complaint occurred when Huftile was incarcerated at California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo.   According to Huftile's complaint, Dr. Miccio-Fonseca met with him on February 2, 2001, to initiate an SVPA evaluation.   Dr. Miccio-Fonseca presented Huftile with a “Notice of Evaluation as a Sexually Violent Predator.”   Huftile signed the form to indicate that he refused to be interviewed by Dr. Miccio-Fonseca.   Huftile alleges that he understood that this refusal would bar Dr. Miccio-Fonseca from reviewing his confidential records.   According to the complaint, Dr. Miccio-Fonseca again attempted to interview Huftile on July 3, 2002.   Huftile alleges that Dr. Miccio-Fonseca informed him that he was under a court order requiring him to speak with her.   He further alleges that Dr. Miccio-Fonseca could not produce a copy of the court order and did not tape the interview as required in the order.According to Huftile's complaint, Dr. Miccio-Fonseca prepared a report and later testified against Huftile at the SVPA civil commitment trial.   Huftile alleges that because he did not consent to be interviewed, Dr. Miccio-Fonseca's evaluation was based solely on Huftile's record, including Huftile's California Department of Corrections Central File. Huftile further alleges that Dr. Miccio-Fonseca accessed his confidential records without his consent, failed to follow proper procedures in conducting interviews, fabricated portions of her report, and relied on stale data in preparing the report. - See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1472234.html#sthash.ovv8uI4D.dpuf

Even when you go back and read some of the papers she's written, she's so "wishy washy". Sorry, but, Nurmi and his droning on is getting on my nerves....LOL

In either trial have the 82,000 text-emails-calls between JA and TA been broken down to show how many originated with JA and how many with TA? I'm guessing the vast majority, especially after their short officially-dating stint, were JA 24/7 determinedly trying to reach TA, and TA hounded into eventually responding. I'd also like to see a visual chanting her jobs and housing while in Mesa, because it would likely prove her instability and rootlessness apart from the tentacles she'd wound around TA. JA was the parasite, and TA was the unwilling host.

Its a good idea and I do think it would be helpful to the prosecution to show this too.

It would help prove their case like you mention. Showing she pursued him to the point of harrassment and she willingly chose that pursuit. Further proving that if she keeps claiming she was being so "abused" then why keep pursuing him so crazily.

I agree with other posters in the last thread. As much as I dislike JA, as horrible as the crime was, I think she would have been far better off passing on putting on a defense case.

If she had just got up, stood infront of the jury and cried, begged and apologized for killing him, admitting he was a great man, who didn't deserve to die. Admitting she loved him and he didn't love her back, and it destroyed her. Admitting that she is so sorry for what she has done, to her family, to HIS family... She would have been much better off infront of this jury.

I totally agree NB, but Jodi is not sorry. I think she is actually enjoying all this attention. This is the first time in her pathetic life that she has EVER had friends (cray cray supporters) and MONEY, and people buying her art. Her glasses were auctioned off as "a piece of history" cough cough... She's done interviews, been on television!!!!! She thinks she is a star. She is dragging this out as long as she can because in her mind she is famous.

To her, it's not about TA or his family. She has no remorse at all. It's all about her and her adoring fans. She's a sociopath, and she is in her element.

I'm surprised at how many schizophrenics have not only been sentenced to death but have actually been executed. That's a hard one for me to digest.

And then you have Arias who is just plain evil/sociopathic trying to use the mental illness excuse. Please! Even if someone were to offer me a thousand bucks to find ONE mitigating factor, I simply couldn't do it. There are no mitigating factors. None. Send her away to death row already. She richly deserves it.

Good Morning All

Could someone give a short synopsis of what happened at end of day yesterday?
I had to work, but I know they were supposed to end early.
Is that woman still on the stand? Will she be back next week?
When do they start next week...Mon? Tues?
Thanks so much!

LOL ...well there is no short version. Believe me, you didn't miss anything.
Defense had "expert" read parts of e-mails sent by Lisa. She then gave HER opinion of how these emails made Lisa feel. Video of 1st trial was shown with Dan and Desiree Freeman on the stand. BORING. And that pretty much took up the whole day. As slow as KN is going, this witness will be on the stand until Jan.

Someone else can probably give you a better analysis of the day, as I fell asleep with my face on the keyboard...

Trial starts on Monday at 9:30 Arizona time......11:30 EST

I don't always take the time to thank everyone for posting the tweets, AZ for explaining the legal side to us, and to the posters for posting their thoughts and links. Thank you to all.
Reading yesterdays posts reminds me that the jurors will also bring in their life experiences when debating what weight to put on this witness. If I was a juror I would be completely turned of by some 'expert' coming in and interpreting e-mall. I would think of my own life experience. One that comes to mind is that when I text my son has said that many of my texts sound like i am mad, even when that is not what I am trying to convey in a text. I read back to some of the texts and realize why he would think it, but all I was trying to do was text in as few words as possible. I'm still trying to online my texting skills. Using slot of smilies and lols.
Anyways, the reason I brought it up is through my experience, if I was a juror the last two days would be blah blah blah to me.

If the bailiff is literally walking her up to the witness stand, I don't think she'll fight him off and betray her comfort with physical violence. ;)

What a great reply! You rock, AZL. I'd sure hate to be opposing counsel going up against you.:scared::hiding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus