Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/20 thru 2/23 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't the judge have called the jail to verify this "story" about this crazy pretend attorney? I am just not buying their story. These guards have guns don't they? Camera's? I wish the judge would have said I need proof of this incident.

Not buying the story for a second here either. She's such a bad liar Juan and JSS both were like, "Wait, whatnow? Didn't you just say..."

I wonder if any intrepid reporters have phoned the jail and gotten to scoop on all the postcard threats and these people who visit the jail to come gawk at the famous murderer? MDLR's story is really hard to follow. She speaks even less coherently than she Tweets.

Welcome and I agree with you. I don't think the Hughes's were very good friends to Travis at all and I won't be buying their book.

Thanks! I also will not be buying their book. JMO of Chris Hughes is that he is an opportunistic, <modsnip> businessman and the PPL (Legal Shield) is nothing more than a polished pyramid scheme. The Hughes were so naive to believe that a female could not be the sexual aggressor, could not lie and manipulate, and could not be emotionally and mentally abusive :)( as well as physically abusive which sealed Travis' fate).

Then why would she have been worried about an appeal?

I agree. She caved to the defense because she was worried about an appeal because her thinking about the secrecy issues had gotten muddled.

Now it seems I agree with almost everyone lol. :floorlaugh:
Jumping off from your post, AZL -- I've wondered for a long time if JSS might be really bothered by the amount of media and social network attention in this case and felt somewhat sympathetic to the idea of removing the press and public because of that. In addition to the concern about appeals. Do you think that's possible?

I believe JA refused to answer them in open court. There was a minute entry that said they would not be asked and would be filed with the clerk. Not sure if they would be available to the public until after the verdict, though.

AZL since you are here :biggrin: I have a quick question. I was surprised that they released this secret transcript of why the court was closed BEFORE JA could make her speech about how the jury should let her go...er...I mean save her life. Can the DT now file a motion based on this release and would it have any chance of being heard?

AZLawyer, how is it legal that the jury had three questions for Jodi and she refused to answer them? How can she just "refuse"? Isn't that contempt of court and contempt of the jury? Same question about her refusing to complete her testimony. I mean believe me, she saved us days of hearing her lies again and for that I am grateful. I just don't understand JSS's thinking in allowing this.

Lambchop...any possibility of opening a discussion thread for thoughts on the May 26 text- why was Travis so angry, what about the exchange send JA preparing to murder him? I kinow there's been plenty of discussion throughout, but there's also new info- T's journals, more testimony about what was in the text, etc. I can contribute a now completed chronology of texts/emails/events/journal entries from March through May 2008, and a revised May 26 text compiled from everything that's out there.

Right! She (incorrectly) thought the Ct App would agree with her because she (incorrectly) thought JA hadn't voluntarily waived her right to testify. Which means her thinking in this area of law was muddled because she had bought into the idea that secrecy was OK and therefore was an OK thing for a defendant to demand before waiving her right to testify.

Right? :)

Not to get all semantical on you but I mean she thought she was right in that her caution was founded because Jodi had not waived her right testify and was refusing to do so, not that she thought she was right in that Jodi had a right to request the media be removed.

I thought that was different but you got me all confused now lol

Lambchop...any possibility of opening a discussion thread for thoughts on the May 26 text- why was Travis so angry, what about the exchange send JA preparing to murder him? I kinow there's been plenty of discussion throughout, but there's also new info- T's journals, more testimony about what was in the text, etc. I can contribute a now completed chronology of texts/emails/events/journal entries from March through May 2008, and a revised May 26 text compiled from everything that's out there.

Yes!! Please????

I personally just don't think it's smart to be writing/publicizing a book during the trial, while there's still a possibility that you might be called as witnesses.

Before sentencing, all of TA's friends and family will get another chance to talk about him. To the media and the public.

Plus if the Hughes just want people to know how great TA was, why not start a blog and write about him? Or publish the book for free?

I don't know. The whole thing doesn't vibe well with me, personally.

BBM ~ Me too. I personally am not particularly fond of the Hughes' at all. I think they're selfish, disrespectful and care about their own personal gain.
Sure, they might have a good friend to TA, even CH being a "father figure", but I just don't like how he reacted when he found out TA was dead.
JMO

Oh. Yeah. I'm sure you'd all be glad for an update regarding me being on the fence regarding BPD and the death penalty or LWOP.. :p Well, I'm no longer on the fence... I've left the barn completely LOL! After private tutoring lessons on BPD from Britskate :loveyou: I'm still not clear on it all. I hope the jurors somehow made better sense of it all.

Oh well, I probably wouldn't have made it on to the jury anyways.

Does anyone believe this killer has actually received "thousands and thousands and thousands of pieces of mail" (her words) in the 16 months between the first trial and this sentencing phase? I mean, they would have to add another wing to the jail and hire more staff to handle that volume if it were true. :facepalm: As abhorrent as I find her and her entire defense team, I know I wouldn't waste the postage to send her anything, ever. I'm sure she has received mail, but no where near the amount she claims. But of course she has to exaggerate to make it appear that she is just sooooo important, which she is not.

Yeah, didn't you laugh out loud when you read that? If I were the judge, I would have told her to bring in the "thousands and thousands and thousands of letters" so I could read them. Lol! I wish JA would say that to the jury during her allocution. The courtroom observers would crack up. JSS would never get control of her courtroom after that. Jodi's such a liar!!

I don't have issues with anyone writing a book about Travis as long as it is about Travis and is honest. Friends and family knew him best, not strangers. It would be refreshing to read something good about him for a change. jmo

Oh. Yeah. I'm sure you'd all be glad for an update regarding me being on the fence regarding BPD and the death penalty or LWOP.. :p Well, I'm no longer on the fence... I've left the barn completely LOL! After private tutoring lessons on BPD from Britskate :loveyou: I'm still not clear on it all. I hope the jurors somehow made better sense of it all.

Oh well, I probably wouldn't have made it on to the jury anyways.

But aren't you anti death anyway?

:maddening: Yeah, the Hughes were so close to Travis that it did not take very much effort on JA's part for them to turn against Travis just when he needed their support and understanding the most. It wasn't enough that JA was turning the guilty screws against Travis, the Hughes had to start turning those screws as well in trying to make him feel guilty for not wanting a serious relationship with JA; and, in fact, (JMO) Travis was starting to sense the truths about JA, enough to become afraid of her motives. The good ole Hughes were right there to assist JA in making Travis feel guilty for wanting to get away from JA.

Hi hoosierette, where you from? I live in the south on the Ohio river.

Does anyone believe this killer has actually received "thousands and thousands and thousands of pieces of mail" (her words) in the 16 months between the first trial and this sentencing phase? I mean, they would have to add another wing to the jail and hire more staff to handle that volume if it were true. :facepalm: As abhorrent as I find her and her entire defense team, I know I wouldn't waste the postage to send her anything, ever. I'm sure she has received mail, but no where near the amount she claims. But of course she has to exaggerate to make it appear that she is just sooooo important, which she is not.

I am sure her 10 supporters have all put something about 'I've supported you a thousand times on the internet', and she took that an morphed it like she always does.

:eek:ddsmiley:

I guess my whole problem with the criticism of the Hughes book writing, is that while Travis was an 'Alexander' he was also a 'Travis', a single unique individual. While the Alexanders lost a brother, they were not the only ones that suffered a loss. They have no exclusive rights to memories/opinions of Travis. Travis went out into the world and touched people and made friends. To try to gauge just who has suffered more by the hole left by Travis' death is impossible imo.

I have read a friends website on line where a lot of TA's friends/ people who knew him left stories/opinions of TA. I have heard no criticism of that page and trial is ongoing. Do different friends have to adhere to different standards?

As for the e mails from the Hughes and their being critical of him. I have no idea of the conversations, actions or discussions or the lies that JA told them, that led to those messages being sent. TA did not throw them away after those comments and he would have been the one to judge just how good friends they were to him. What if Deanna or Lisa is writing a book and what if the Alexanders in part or in total do not approve? Should they then refrain from writing about a man who loved them?

So I have no problems with the Hughes book. But maybe that is just me.
The book on it's own is not my problem. Any action by the Hughes which prevented them from being able to participate in the prosecution case is my problem. They could have been good tools for Juan to use but actions, including the timing of their book, have made the pursuit of justice harder IMO.

The book on it's own is not my problem. Any action by the Hughes which prevented them from being able to participate in the prosecution case is my problem. They could have been good tools for Juan to use but actions, including the timing of their book, have made the pursuit of justice harder IMO.

I don't think Juan not calling them had anything to do with the book. He called Abe and he had a blog and had given several interviews to HLN. The book is also a new thing and he never called them before either. I think it has to do with the issues they had with the defense before, with Gus and with them believing in the pedophile claim after Nurmi lied to them.

She said flat out -at first-- that she thought the overflow room would suffice. It just went downhill from there.

I do think mindset matters, and I do think she was and still is worn down by the constant, incessant, unsubtle beating of the anti-media drum by the DT, from the last days of the first sentencing phase on through this week. They've been relentless.

Right? Like when your child just continually is crying, ranting, and raving for the 1,000 time and you just finally say OK!!!!

What I also found interesting is that JA said that in the future she will be at a different facility and at that facility people will have access to her. To me, that means that she is confident that she is getting life and will be in gen pop. JMHO

I just saw this post on the Sidebar thread and laughed really hard.....so I brought it over here. I had forgotten about reading this in the transcript of the closed in chambers meeting. Jodi thinks she will get Life.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by janx
"...And so given the fact that after trial I will be going to a different facility, a lot more people will have access to me as well."

LOL. Apparently CMJA doesn't believe she'll be going to Death Row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member