Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Paul Saunders recap from yesterday...Thur...
Can't find it.
Anyone have the link?
TIA

Thanks Ricki!
Good thing that snow storm this weekend
is not going to be to bad!
Yes!

Thanks Ricki!
Good thing that snow storm this weekend
is not going to be to bad!
Yes!
I don't know much about the new snow storm. When and how much of the white stuff are we getting now?

I deleted that post because I thought I put it in the wrong thread. Re-posting it here.
THE MENOCIDE OF DR. DEATH: The Jodi Arias Death Penalty Retrial

Day 33 - "A Juror's Perspective"

Now in progress.

I am honored to have each of you at the door...

See you soon.

J*4*T*!

Paul

It was supposed to be Sat/Sun/Mon
4 or so inches a day...
but they changed it to snow showers for Sat/Sun
and who knows how much on Mon....
Whew!
I don't care. I work Sat/Sun and off Mon..thank goodness.

It was supposed to be Sat/Sun/Mon
4 or so inches a day...
but they changed it to snow showers for Sat/Sun
and who knows how much on Mon....
Whew!
I don't care. I work Sat/Sun and off Mon..thank goodness.

I don't even remember our last snowfall... sometime before Christmas iirc. Nothing but rain, drizzle, the odd sunny day and back to rain. Besides my lawn just about needing a mow, my hydrangea, strawberries and roses have been sprouting leaves for weeks now, so we should be in for a good frost anyday.:/

As for JA, I bet she love, love, loves her barren wasteland of concrete and metal bars. I'm surprised we haven't seen any prison art from her, maybe she needs a pic to trace it from.

JM isn't personally disrespectful, though. If he wants an expert witness to look bad, he uses their stuff against them, like ALV with the Snow White whatever Juan was trying to say....

I believe what Juan did say was that Snow White was never abused.

http://kristinarandle.com/blog/can-...rder-spare-jodi-arias-from-the-death-penalty/

Arias is mentally competent. There is a big difference between being diagnosed with a mental illness and being mentally incompetent. In other words, mental illnesses vary in severity. Only the most severe, the psychoses, would make one mentally incompetent and thus not qualified for the death penalty.

The statement by her defense attorneys might be a preview of what we can expect them to argue at retrial. They might try and argue that she is mentally ill and should be spared the death penalty. Can having borderline personality disorder spare you from the death penalty? By itself no, unless you were also psychotic at the time. No expert witnesses have claimed that Jodi was at any time psychotic.

One of the reasons I have always wanted Jodi on death row is because I have felt that in general population she will find ways through the media to further hurt Travis' family and friends. That door has successfully been slammed shut by this retrial. There are no unanswered questions left. Jodi has accused Travis of the worst things possible. Pedophilia, physical, emotion abuse, and so much more. All have proven to be untrue in a very public (yet secretive) trial.
Jodi will still try to hurt the family and friends, but I don't think she will be successful.
No matter what sentence she gets, it is over for Jodi now. My prayers go out to Travis family and friends that now healing might begin. The world now knows for sure what a good man Travis was. His legacy will live on in the charity work his family is doing in his name.

In the case of mental illness and the death penalty the Task Force has made the following second recommendation:

“Defendants should not be executed or sentenced to death if, at the time of the offense, he or she had a severe mental disorder or disability that significantly impaired their capacity (a) to appreciate the nature, consequences, or wrongfulness of their conduct; (b) to exercise rational judgment in relation to conduct; or (c) to conform their conduct to the requirements of the law. A disorder manifested primarily by repeated criminal conduct or attributable solely to the voluntary use of alcohol or other drugs does not, standing alone, constitute a mental disorder or disability for purposes of this provision.”

In the second recommendation, the Task Force is focused on the term severe with regard to mental illness. Severe refers to the most serious disorders, including schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorders, mania, major depressive disorder, and dissociative disorders. On rare occasions, personality disorders may be considered severe but only if there is a psychotic component.

In the majority of cases personality disorders are excluded from death penalty exemptions. With regard to borderline personality disorder, those diagnosed “can experience psychotic like symptoms… during times of stress” but these symptoms can only be considered if they occurred at the time of the capital offense. That was not the case with Jodi Arias.

http://kristinarandle.com/blog/can-...rder-spare-jodi-arias-from-the-death-penalty/

Another excellent recap, including a number of fully explained points which were never conveyed in the tweets. The other day (?) there was a discussion regarding how he's managing to "record" all this info, and leaving some to wonder about his accuracy.

In one of his posts--or perhaps in the comment section--he made mention that he uses a smart pen. I've been considering getting one for my daughter before she heads off to college. Finding out he uses one just may have pushed me closer to purchasing one.

Hope it's ok to post link

http://www.amazon.com/Livescribe-Sm...UTF8&qid=1423230464&sr=8-2&keywords=Smart+pen

Arias is mentally competent. There is a big difference between being diagnosed with a mental illness and being mentally incompetent. In other words, mental illnesses vary in severity. Only the most severe, the psychoses, would make one mentally incompetent and thus not qualified for the death penalty.

The statement by her defense attorneys might be a preview of what we can expect them to argue at retrial. They might try and argue that she is mentally ill and should be spared the death penalty. Can having borderline personality disorder spare you from the death penalty? By itself no, unless you were also psychotic at the time. No expert witnesses have claimed that Jodi was at any time psychotic.

In the case of mental illness and the death penalty the Task Force has made the following second recommendation:

“Defendants should not be executed or sentenced to death if, at the time of the offense, he or she had a severe mental disorder or disability that significantly impaired their capacity (a) to appreciate the nature, consequences, or wrongfulness of their conduct; (b) to exercise rational judgment in relation to conduct; or (c) to conform their conduct to the requirements of the law. A disorder manifested primarily by repeated criminal conduct or attributable solely to the voluntary use of alcohol or other drugs does not, standing alone, constitute a mental disorder or disability for purposes of this provision.”

In the second recommendation, the Task Force is focused on the term severe with regard to mental illness. Severe refers to the most serious disorders, including schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorders, mania, major depressive disorder, and dissociative disorders. On rare occasions, personality disorders may be considered severe but only if there is a psychotic component.

In the majority of cases personality disorders are excluded from death penalty exemptions. With regard to borderline personality disorder, those diagnosed “can experience psychotic like symptoms… during times of stress” but these symptoms can only be considered if they occurred at the time of the capital offense. That was not the case with Jodi Arias.

This is a very good blog, and I had been following it during the first trial. I had forgotten about it, but will bookmark again :)

I hope on redirect Juan can make these points with Dr. D

image.jpg

Breakfast
Wonder what Jodi is having at the Estrella Jail?

My best guess is a foundation-type affidavit for the Modsnip McGee "Time to Vent" post, which was filed at the same time. I still can't figure out why any of this would be filed at all, though. :)

Exactly! I didn't want to write my REAL prediction because it would have been so negative. Now we can use my Feb. 5 prediction, based on its very positiveness, as evidence of pretty much any damn thing we want as long as it's negative!

Azlawyer, can you explain the answer above in a simpler way? What is a foundation type affidavit and what does it have to do with McGee's post? Isn't Erik Basta a prosecutor? Or is he an attorney representing MMcGee? I still don't understand. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En7UIKNzwg4

I remember a lot of people talking about Wilmott's comment when that happened in the first trial, but I think time has given me a new perspective on this.

Could it be that JW was just talking out loud about what a b¡tch it is to search for the papers Dr.D wanted to see?

I don't know why I didn't see it that way two years ago, but that's how I see it as now anyway. Still, I wouldn't put it past JW to think it of Dr. D

edited to add: Had JW said "what a pain in the @ss" under her breath instead, would she have been talking about Dr. D, or having to look for papers?

IMHO, no matter how or why that word might cross her lips, as she is doing her job before the court, it is stunningly unprofessional. ONLY, if that word was being quoted in the questioning of a witness (as many "bad" words have been quoted in this trial) would it be acceptable. I think (if she actually did say this) it shows a very childish loss of control on JW's part.

Another excellent recap, including a number of fully explained points which were never conveyed in the tweets. The other day (?) there was a discussion regarding how he's managing to "record" all this info, and leaving some to wonder about his accuracy.

In one of his posts--or perhaps in the comment section--he made mention that he uses a smart pen. I've been considering getting one for my daughter before she heads off to college. Finding out he uses one just may have pushed me closer to purchasing one.

Hope it's ok to post link

http://www.amazon.com/Livescribe-Sm...UTF8&qid=1423230464&sr=8-2&keywords=Smart+pen

Paul Sanders in amazing. I was left drained yesterday. I don't think I could stand going through the court process. Yet Mr. Sanders made it so easy for me. I hope the jurors see it all the way he does.

Sanders says that the DeVault jury found DM completely credible, and they respected her. That's a valuable insight. I'm more intrigued though by what he says of the DeVault jury's discussion of mental illness as mitigator. If he's accurately describing that jury's reasoning, they concluded that she wasn't mentally ill because she premeditated killing her husband, therefore mental illness was rejected as a mitigator.

Have to say that logic, as related, is flawed. DeVault could be mentally ill AND quite capable of premeditating a murder. In JA's case (with any luck) the jury will accept that she has BPD/is mentally ill, but reject that as mitigating because of her premeditation and the brutality of the murder.

Not trying to be picky, but I find flawed logic by a jury troublesome.

Thanks, tsitra01

I wrote a reply to your post but that too, went poof. Don't know if the problem is my computer or the website.

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. My heart goes out to you--truly. For what it's worth, my much adored older sister suddenly died a few months ago and I'm still trying to deal with her death. I wonder if that is why some or even many of us are members here--we're trying to wrap our minds around the bad s**t that life arbitrarily throws at us.

Rest assured, however, that we have known genuine love. We've given our heart to others and had the love reciprocated. Big hugs to you.

Hi Becky, I am so sorry for your loss. My older sister and best friend died in May. It broke my heart as she pretty much raised me. There is just a part of me missing. Lost two grandsons too in 2014. There are no words....Except I know I will see them all again one day.
God bless you as you try to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member