Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
:seeya: Good Morning, Y'all !

15102.gif

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...A560BB3F123F261855E708D7E50B6&selectedIndex=8

I find his errors somewhat minor. I find his perspective valuable and most importantly he brings us what's happening in the courtroom in better detail. Who cares if he mistook when Travis' grandmother received that letter? The idea was there, a grieiving family reading a detailed account of how loved one was killed from the killer herself. Again, it's a minor mistake.

I don't lose sleep over his errors, but I care because they frequently get quoted here as fact and set off dozens of posts based on an error (circuit breaker not light switch and Mums are the first two that leap to mind). I prefer accuracy when its to be had.

I am waiting for jurors' questions!!! Like did CMJA know right from wrong? I thought this was mitigation about CMJA not TA? I really want to see their faces the day Dr. MF and Dr. Spillwater come back. That will be priceless.. If no juror takes notes than we will know what they are thinking.

I would have liked the jury to have asked the Bishop if you have to believe in the ten commandments before you are Baptized?

That's what I don't get. She had to have a significant score in the APD scale, perhaps she missed it by, what, one point ? Which would still be significant regarding her tendencies, yet may still prevent DM from bringing it out in her diagnoses because perhaps the slimy Defense claims it is "prejudicial" . IDK , not sure how that works, other than the Defense seems always to have the upper hand .

I'm thinking several of the jurors have come to the conclusion from what Demarte said that JA has an antisocial personality disorder, just as we all are. Alot of characteristics flew out of her mouth that almost anyone in a position to be a juror would signal to them APD. Even if Dr. D didn't exactly go there. Judging from the past, there was either a "data point" that didn't quite match up (that we don't know about), there is JM strategy behind the decision, an order from the judge, or "the fat lady hasn't sung yet."

Also, so far nothing has been said about MMPI scores. IIRC on that test, JA came out very high on the psychopath scale. Didn't Dr. JDM say in the guilt phase that there is not enough academic research on that scale for her to make any definitive judgments?

Since there are so many stones still unturned on the whole BPD schtick, I'm betting JM is waiting for KN to fall into a trap, which he'll exploit in re-direct.

I would have liked the jury to have asked the Bishop if you have to believe in the ten commandments before you are Baptized?

Good question, since Jodi NOW believes it is never ok to kill someone. :rolleyes:

What a revelation.

I don't lose sleep over his errors, but I care because they frequently get quoted here as fact and set off dozens of posts based on an error (circuit breaker not light switch and Mums are the first two that leap to mind). I prefer accuracy when its to be had.

Good point about what errors, or personal emphasis can mean to the discussion. But that's why this who,e trial by tweet thing is so damn frustrating....it doesn't matter who you follow to get your info there is always going to be some sort of slant to it. Whether it's outright bias--hello Keiffer--or important info missed by omission we aren't getting as accurate of a picture of what's happening than we would be if it was televised.

Dodn't JA rattle some of them off during the first day of interrogation? lol

I thought the 10 Commandments were a Catholic thing, do Mormons hold them in the same regard?

Almost certainly, he was trying to get advice from women about what to do with JA or how to think about the situation. Think of all the women in his life who knew JA had a virulent obsession. They were the ones, right off the bat, who were able to direct the police to Jodi.

TA seems to have had many female friends, even old ex's like Lisa and Deanna he'd managed keep in his life. Notice how wonderful—apart from Jodi—these women all seem to be as well: steady and forthright. Some people may find the sexting stuff immature or not quite moral, but for these days it's just playful! It certainly doesn't mean there was anything real going on.

I find the overall quality of TA's friendships with women to be remarkable, and a quest to understand JA by going to his women friends a sign of great maturity.

I'm guessing Fatal Attraction is not on the list of movies approved for young Mormons to watch. Perhaps if even one of all these lovely young people had seen it they would have gone for help, either to a Mormon elder for guidance or directly to the police themselves.

BBM

I do think that TA's situation left him woefully unprepared for someone like JA.

Most young men learn about sex from other young men, movies, locker room stories, magazines like Playboy as well as the more clinical details taught in sex ed classes. TA's upbringing precluded most of these avenues and he grew up rather naïve, I would imagine. His religious beliefs also steered him away from the more 'earthy' details of sex like those found in x rated movies and magazines.

Time passes and he has tentative encounters with a Mormon woman who may have been also rather naïve to the ways of sex. Then he meets JA and is introduced to a totally new world by someone who is very experienced in sex and, not just 'tentative' sex but 'adventuresome' sex. It must have been like feast after a famine to a healthy young man.

TA's friends all seemed to strive to be kind, caring, good people. Within the Mormon circles that TA frequented, I am sure he never met anyone like JA. He would have no idea how to deal with someone as selfish, conniving and manipulative as JA. He may not have been a '30 year old virgin' in reality, but he was pretty darn close, when you count his experiences in the world against JA's knowledge and cunning.

Poor Travis. He was so far out of his depths. :(

I don't find it flawed as I think this murderess's brand of premeditation to be very indicatative of someone in complete control of their faculties. I strongly believe there is a huge difference between someone who buys a gun, and then kills someone (premeditated) and someone like JA who methodically planned for weeks, for both pre- and post murder behaviors. Add in the stalking, and hacking behaviors and it becomes apparent that every aspect of her relationship with Travis was "premeditated." Everything from singling him out at PPL, converting to his faith, harassing "rivals," hacking into his personal affairs, and making sex tapes which she more than likely tried to use against him.

If I were a juror, the only way I could see "mental illness" being a strong mitagator--b/c it has to outweigh the aggrivator(s)--would be someone who has multiple disorders, a low IQ AND someone who suffered documented abuse.

But that's just me! ;)

I'm just looking at the logic. Like this.

JA has BPD. BPD is considered a mental illness. Therefore JA is mentally ill. TRUE

JA has BPD and is mentally ill, therefore her BPD should be mitigating. FALSE. That she is mentally ill may be factually true, but whether or not it should be considered mitigation is a subjective decision made by the jury.

JA premeditated the murder and Travis' murder was especially cruel. Because of the premeditation and cruelty, JA cannot be considered mentally ill. (Sanders) FALSE.

JA can be (and is, IMO) both mentally ill and guilty of a premeditated and cruel murder. As was DeWalt.

Good point about what errors, or personal emphasis can mean to the discussion. But that's why this who,e trial by tweet thing is so damn frustrating....it doesn't matter who you follow to get your info there is always going to be some sort of slant to it. Whether it's outright bias--hello Keiffer--or important info missed by omission we aren't getting as accurate of a picture of what's happening than we would be if it was televised.

Agree about the tweets, like yesterday, Nurmi asked DeMarte a question, all three tweets had her reply in a different phrase:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 17h17 hours ago  Phoenix, AZ
Nurmi suggest DeMarte is testifying on things she knows nothing about
DeMarte straight face goes "Not true" #jodiarias #3tvarias

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 17h17 hours ago
"You're testifying to something you know nothing about..." - Nurmi. "That's not accurate." - Dr. D #jodiarias

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 · 17h17 hours ago
#jodiarias defense:"You are biased and testifying to something you know nothing about."
DeMarte:"That's not correct." #Fox10Phx
----

All said the same thing but all quoted her verbatim differently.

Another excellent recap, including a number of fully explained points which were never conveyed in the tweets. The other day (?) there was a discussion regarding how he's managing to "record" all this info, and leaving some to wonder about his accuracy.

In one of his posts--or perhaps in the comment section--he made mention that he uses a smart pen. I've been considering getting one for my daughter before she heads off to college. Finding out he uses one just may have pushed me closer to purchasing one.

Hope it's ok to post link

http://www.amazon.com/Livescribe-Sm...UTF8&qid=1423230464&sr=8-2&keywords=Smart+pen

Appreciated his affirmation of a point we've all made here at Websleuths; i.e., there has been no mitigation evidence offered in this phase.

His juror perspective is a sliver of light shining through the JSKS-ordered media brownout of her super-secret courtroom.

Sanders maintains that the jury is not buying any of this slime advanced by JA's Posse of Evil.

I can accept that. :happydance:

I know. Trial by tweet is the worst. To get the best idea of what happened-past tense- on any given court day I read BK (very comprehensive, accurate and non-opinionated notes), piece together tweets, skim a few blogs or FB pages, and read Sanders. After following/reading live on WS. Too time consuming to do every day, but for me each source adds a unique view and/or fills in the gaps. And even combined I get the sad feeling a great deal has been left out, filtered by what others thought most important to capture.

Agree about the tweets, like yesterday, Nurmi asked DeMarte a question, all three tweets had her reply in a different phrase:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 17h17 hours ago  Phoenix, AZ
Nurmi suggest DeMarte is testifying on things she knows nothing about
DeMarte straight face goes "Not true" #jodiarias #3tvarias

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 17h17 hours ago
"You're testifying to something you know nothing about..." - Nurmi. "That's not accurate." - Dr. D #jodiarias

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 · 17h17 hours ago
#jodiarias defense:"You are biased and testifying to something you know nothing about."
DeMarte:"That's not correct." #Fox10Phx
----

All said the same thing but all quoted her verbatim differently.

And all in quotations -- verbatim -- to your point.

Probably none of the three captured all of her actual spoken words -- certainly not "truly", "correctly", or "accurately".

And isn't that precisely what quotation marks are supposed to signify?

But that's a minor point as the versions still convey an essentially similar response.

Just imagine how much these court reporting by Tweets have missed and misinformed.

Not to mention the fact that some of the Tweeters and re-Tweeters and quoters of re-Tweeters are 'outsnarking' me.

That pesky Law of Distraction again...

I thought the 10 Commandments were a Catholic thing, do Mormons hold them in the same regard?
It's a "Christian thing", those commandments.
[emoji57]

I think most christians do but yes, the Mormon faith does as well.

This is likely a stupid question: why did Nurmi call her Dr Death? I understand that he thought it was a clever dig because he said it very early in his cross, but I don't understand his implication. Someone please explain!

Nurmi must think he is clever or something.

This is my take on why he called Dr. DeMarte "Dr. Death." Her name is similar to the Spanish language for "Day of the Dead."

I think it was rude and I hope the jurors thought so as well.

Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de Muertos) is a Mexican holiday observed throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

And all in quotations -- verbatim -- to your point.

Probably none of the three captured all of her actual spoken words -- certainly not "truly", "correctly", or "accurately".

And isn't that precisely what quotation marks are supposed to signify?

But that's a minor point as the versions still convey an essentially similar response.

Just imagine how much these court reporting by Tweets have missed and misinformed.

Not to mention the fact that some of the Tweeters and re-Tweeters and quoters of re-Tweeters are 'outsnarking' me.

That pesky Law of Distraction again...

We could really use an actual court reporter tweeting, or at least a close captioned (sp?) transcriber.

I'm just looking at the logic. Like this.

JA has BPD. BPD is considered a mental illness. Therefore JA is mentally ill. TRUE

JA has BPD and is mentally ill, therefore her BPD should be mitigating. FALSE. That she is mentally ill may be factually true, but whether or not it should be considered mitigation is a subjective decision made by the jury.

JA premeditated the murder and Travis' murder was especially cruel. Because of the premeditation and cruelty, JA cannot be considered mentally ill. (Sanders) FALSE.

JA can be (and is, IMO) both mentally ill and guilty of a premeditated and cruel murder. As was DeWalt.

I think Sanders hit on something else about the jury.

They want evidence that they can see and touch.

There is no set of tangibles which tells the story of this especially cruel torture murder like those autopsy photos and the image of JA dragging her nearly decapitated victim back toward the shower. :(

One of the reasons I have always wanted Jodi on death row is because I have felt that in general population she will find ways through the media to further hurt Travis' family and friends. That door has successfully been slammed shut by this retrial. There are no unanswered questions left. Jodi has accused Travis of the worst things possible. Pedophilia, physical, emotion abuse, and so much more. All have proven to be untrue in a very public (yet secretive) trial.
Jodi will still try to hurt the family and friends, but I don't think she will be successful.
No matter what sentence she gets, it is over for Jodi now. My prayers go out to Travis family and friends that now healing might begin. The world now knows for sure what a good man Travis was. His legacy will live on in the charity work his family is doing in his name.

That is just one of the reasons Travis' family wants her to get the DP. They know there's very little chance of her getting executed, and if she is, it wouldn't be for decades, but they definitely want her isolated from the general population.

I believe she's extremely dangerous and would kill again. She does need to be isolated. What's going to happen when she makes a friend in jail, or ends up with a girlfriend.. and they push away due to her obvious boundary issues, or get a new friend/girlfriend for example. Her fear of abandonment makes her do extremely irrational and dangerous things.
Besides, the heinousness of her premeditated crime, the lack of remorse, the slandering of the victim, the victimization of the family (i.e writing a sick letter to them) warrants the DP more than any crime I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dragneel69