RIP Elizabeth Edwards cancer returns. UPDATE- Passed away 12-7-10

The article does say that Elizabeth played a big part in convincing him to continue his campaign. A family friend said "Elizabeth was not going to let him get out of it"

This is very bad news. I noticed that nobody in the press conference mentioned the word "metastisized (sp???)", but that's what it is. I read some glowing report by a doctor today saying the wonders they were doing with bone cancer, and then he triumphantly announced that TWENTY PERCENT of bone cancer patients are now living 5 years and more. Well, duh, that means EIGHTY PERCENT are dying before 5 years. I'm just so very, very sad to know this is happening to Elizabeth Edwards. It seems like their family has had more than their fair share of pain and loss. And I feel so bad that she has two small children who will no doubt lose their mother while they're still quite young. THis is all just so sad.

Well, I'm very upset about this bad news for Elizabeth Edwards--She's so young--Stage IV is the worst,she's living on borrowed time--Her husband needs to withdraw from the race,needs to spend as much time with her as he can, because I don't think the five year survival rate is very good at all--Remember that her doctor said it may have also spread to her lungs--let's hope that's not true

I just read a report from Dr. Manny Alvarez (Fox News MD) and he said the five year survival rate is 20% for metastatic bone cancer from a primary source. The best news is that she is young and viable/healthy looking. She will need all of that on her side to fight. Very rough battle particulary when it is a second go around.....hard to fight but she has to.

Cancer is such a !

This is so sad. While I admire her pluck for encouraging him to follow his dream, I think he should get out now. I don't think he'd ever be elected, nor should he be. Can you imagine if the nation were in some serious crisis and she had a medical emergency at the same time?

Of course it could happen to anyone at any time, but they know it is coming. They have said her cancer is not curable, only treatable. Why would he waste any time he has left with her on politics, of all things? Knowing what they know, he is simply using energy and time they could both be using for a much more significant purpose.

My prayers are with them.

I just read a report from Dr. Manny Alvarez (Fox News MD) and he said the five year survival rate is 20% for metastatic bone cancer from a primary source. The best news is that she is young and viable/healthy looking. She will need all of that on her side to fight. Very rough battle particulary when it is a second go around.....hard to fight but she has to.

Cancer is such a !

it sure is CP....i hope Mrs Edwards beats this..

Angelmom I agree with you. That is exactly what my hubby and I would do if we were in their position. I pray for Elizabeth and hope a miracle could happen and she beats this. I don't know though it sounds so bad. :(

This is so sad. While I admire her pluck for encouraging him to follow his dream, I think he should get out now. I don't think he'd ever be elected, nor should he be. Can you imagine if the nation were in some serious crisis and she had a medical emergency at the same time?

Of course it could happen to anyone at any time, but they know it is coming. They have said her cancer is not curable, only treatable. Why would he waste any time he has left with her on politics, of all things? Knowing what they know, he is simply using energy and time they could both be using for a much more significant purpose.

My prayers are with them.

I like Elizabeth and am praying hard for her, and I definitely think John needs to drop out of the race. There is no way he is going to get the nomination, anyway. He needs to be spending all the time he can with his wife and their kids, and making memories for those children in case Mom doesn't make it.

I don't understand the priorities here. :slap:

I like Elizabeth and am praying hard for her, and I definitely think John needs to drop out of the race. There is no way he is going to get the nomination, anyway. He needs to be spending all the time he can with his wife and their kids, and making memories for those children in case Mom doesn't make it.

I don't understand the priorities here. :slap:

His focus is entirely in the wrong place.. what does that say to their children especially since children do as you do not as you say.. and unfortunately I agree that the chance of survival her are not looking good though I do wish her all the best and pray that is not the case. I know how much a death such as this one effects children.. my husbands mom and step mom both passed away after fighting breast cancer for years.. he was 21 when hi smom died and there is still a resounding impact he feels dialy from the void where she belongs in his life.

You know, there was a lot in today's paper about psychologists and how important it was for life to go on as normal, and how a lot of people don't have a choice but to keep going to work. I just have to say that:

1) Campaign life isn't normal. It is exhausting and stressful. She can either use her energy to go with him, or they can be separated. If he were going to the office every day and coming home at night, and she could be in her own environment with her kids and her friends around for support and her doctors close by, then that would be different. Let's not pretend that the 3-cities-in-a-day and shaking hands with every Tom, Dick, and Harry (and their germs) is a good idea for her.

2) I don't think they are going to lose their healthcare benefits or go broke if he drops out of the campaign. No choice? Give me a break. He is putting a good face on this for the donors.

I'll bet that he drops out on April 1 when the bottom line is tallied up.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Presidential_Elections/Democrats_28.html

LAS VEGAS — John Edwards said Saturday he will definitely stay in the presidential race, trying to reassure voters and donors that he can handle the dual pressure of the campaign and his wife's cancer diagnosis.

"I'm definitely in the race for the duration," he said. "This is not the first challenge that Elizabeth and I have been through."

Edwards pointed out that they lost their teenage son, Wade, 11 years ago in a car accident — something that he didn't talk about much when he ran for president four years ago.

"I know because of the nature of the woman I'm married to that she will be there every single step of the way," he said. "We take our responsibility to serving this country very seriously."

Edwards said he and his wife are getting too much credit for forging ahead when millions of women are enduring the same struggle and the additional worry of getting the necessary care.

I think as long as Elizabeth is feeling good and continuing to campaign is what they decided to do then do it. I will pray for their strength and her recovery.

I can't believe there are three of us on this short thread affected by multiple myeloma, Missouri Mule's mom, Peter Hamilton's father and my husband. I guess it's not such a rare cancer, eh? Unlike the parents of the other two posters, my husband is doing well. We made the same decision the Edwards' did - continue a normal life for as long as possible and take advantage of modern medicine. It's been like that for 8 years and still normal. I know that we're very, very lucky - we have great insurance and a strong support system.

english leigh, the first primary race is 1 year away...there is no way to know who will get the nomination at this stage and actually, Edwards has a good shot because he has a message about the working class that the other candidates are not discussing.
During the 2004 race ,Kerry was not even on the radar screeen until about 3 weeks before the Iowa caucuses. Right now Edwards is leading there.
He has a shot because so many working people are suffering and the middle class has taken such a hit because of the Bushies.

I understand why they both made the decision they did, and I've read a lot of interviews they've given since the announcement. What neither one of them realizes at this point (IMO) because of the shock they're both in, is how much of a toll this cancer will take on her in ways they've never faced before. It will take awhile for her to realize this and by then I think it will already be proven in the polls that he won't be nominated. By then, he will have given it his best shot and she won't have deprived him of his dream. I, like so many of you, am praying for her... and I'm extraordinarily saddened by this turn of events. As I've said before, cancer doesn't knock gently at anyone's door... it smashes the door down and takes over your life and the life of everyone around you. I wish all of them the very best.

Why would anyone predict that he will not be nominated? He came in second in Iowa last time, and many have doubts about Hillary and Obama......no one has a crystal ball.....I certainly will not vote for Hillary in the primary and I have some questions about Obama....if Gore enters the race I will vote for him......I bet Edwards does win the nomination.....

Why would anyone predict that he will not be nominated? He came in second in Iowa last time, and many have doubts about Hillary and Obama......no one has a crystal ball.....I certainly will not vote for Hillary in the primary and I have some questions about Obama....if Gore enters the race I will vote for him......I bet Edwards does win the nomination.....

Look at the polling numbers. Gore has a better shot, and he won't win it either.

Plus, there are too many people who will be afraid that they'll back him and he'll have to pull out at the last minute if she takes a bad turn. She might be great for years or she could get bad in 6 months - no one knows for sure. It's sad and unfair but it's politics. At least he can afford to take some time off. Most people can't. Some of them will resent the hell out of him for wasting time on this.

I just saw Elizabeth edwards making some statements--She was inside somewhere--She looks really bad,much worse than that outside press conference yesterday--I am praying for her also but I believe she will be dead within a year or two--I certainly hope I'm wrong

I just saw Elizabeth edwards making some statements--She was inside somewhere--She looks really bad,much worse than that outside press conference yesterday--I am praying for her also but I believe she will be dead within a year or two--I certainly hope I'm wrong

That's not good. Did you notice how her eyes appeared? I've seen somewhere a person's health can be seen in their eyes. I've noticed that several times I have seen this in people on television and sure enough they didn't last long afterwards.

My mother who had multiple myloma went from 160 pounds to about 60 pounds at the time she died. I know this isn't exactly what she has but it just shows how quickly they can go downhill.

The cancer patient wants to be active and stay as involved in as many normal activities, as their health will allow them to. I have noticed Mrs. Edwards weight/puffiness fluctuate up and down and it must be from the meds she is taking.

From the long battle my mother experienced with ovarian cancer, I must say that I have no clue as to how Mrs. Edwards is going to be able to extend herself during this long campaing and fulfill all of the duties that will be expected of her.

My mom's treatment began with the removal of a tumor the size of a six month fetus (I hate calling it that!) and immediate chemo every month for several days for a year. Those several days were aganizing for my mom and for us going through it with her.

After the year of "normal" chemo, they decided to try an experimental shunt procedural. They placed the shut into her belly button and concentrated the chemo straight into the area that needed it. It worked well until the area around the shunt became infected when a nurse was not paying attention at the time.

We almost lost my mom three times during this process, but thank God she is still with us. Her doctors say she is a miracle. She is even in several medical books, including one by Dr. Alan Lawhead.

It all started when my mom had passed out at a business luncheon and was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. The doctors said if she had not received treatment that day, she would have hemorrhaged to death that night.

That was twenty years ago. She is truly a miracle and we are truly thankful!

Our thoughts and prayers to the Edwards family at this time of need.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't sound good right now... hot spot on her hip, possible activity in her lungs, broken rib. I pray she has many more years to live actively and comfortably.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back