RULED OUT: Have we found Anna? Possible match to NamUs case UP 9597 - *NO MATCH*

The replication techniques they use don't run in an instant, either -- it can take weeks before they even know if they've been able to multiply strands enough to have a sample, and that's before testing it to see if it's usable. And I think they have to replicate it with a second sample if it's being used for any legal purpose.

One problem also is that our sample was submitted right around the time that samples from the "Speedfreak Killers" case were submitted. I have not heard that the SFK samples were sent out to a private lab, but the sheer number of tests involved in that case has likely overloaded the already-slow system.

This week's local newspaper identified two bodies found in October on local beaches, one at San Gregorio (where the bone fragment in which we are interested was found) and one at Miramar. Both people were identified as suicides who had jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge, which is at least 30 miles north of Miramar and probably 40 miles north of San Gregorio. They were found last month. This is of interest to us only because it shows how the prevailing currents work, and how very far a body (in these cases, adults) could be moved before washing up on a beach.

This information, plus the letter in Searching for Anna from Dr. Dave Mustart, chairman of the Geology Department of San Francisco State University, makes it rather unlikely that the bone fragment could belong to Anna. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be an unidentified who would fit the age window. What a mystery. I wish they would get on with that DNA analysis.

It looks like the case file for NamUs UP 9597 has been updated on 11/29 with a new case manager. Though, no new rule out's added and the incorrect information regarding the DNA has not been corrected.

Maybe Dr. Doogie can make a call to this new case manager, introducing himself and letting the new case manager know Anna's family has been waiting on results close to a year. Perhaps this new case manager will be more interesting in going the extra mile to keep us posted on the wait and try to expedite with the lab.

https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

Anna was such a beautiful child, I hope answers come soon, a year is ridiculous for waiting time.

How can they put family's through such hell? Months and months and months for this test? It's beyond belief!

That is terrible! What a tease for that poor family! It's one of those so close yet so far things.

I know. The worst thing about it is that with the technology of fifteen years ago, they'd declare it a match and they could bring her home. But now that there are better ways, the old techniques aren't enough.

This is getting to the point of ridiculous, it has been a year now. Families should not have to wait this long to find out if their beloved child has been found. That is just cruel. If this is not Anna, and I personally don't think it is, then their is another family out their that is waiting to find out if this is their child.

I think it is time to push for answers.

I also do not think it is Anna-as horrible as it may seem for me to say, I was hoping it was so the family could have some closure-it's been sooooo long! And with it possibly not being her, the family just went through a year of anguish for nothing. So cruel to keep them in limbo.

Respectfully, I think it would be cruel if the private lab was not meticulous with the small sample they have. If they blow through it without obtaining a viable strand and there is not enough material left to test for dna, NO family will ever find out if this is their missing loved one. Then there is no id, and this john or jane doe remains unidentified forever.

We just have to be patient and let the scientists do their job.

Annasmom - I thought of you today. I looked at the time and it was 4:44.

: )

The NamUs profile UP 9597 has been updated to reflect the correct DNA status and now reads
"Samples submitted - Tests not complete". It was just updated today.

https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

Am glad to see that finally corrected.

I'm taking it as good news in as far as it demonstrates, imo, the ME's office cares enough to make sure the NamUs information is accurate. I'm kind of neurotic about details and it really bugged me that information was inaccurate for so long.

I don't think it has any baring on what is happening at the private lab. We'll have to wait for Dr. Doogie to update us in that area. The SM ME could have learned of this error a number of ways so it doesn't really indicate what is happening at the private lab.

I spoke with the new caseworker for the UID at the San Mateo Coroner's Office. They are still awaiting results from the DOJ and the private lab. I will start contacting the DOJ itself to see if we can expidite the testing after the first of the year when everybody is back from the holidays.

I am sorry another year has now went by with no answers for Annasmom and the rest of the family. Not a day goes by that Anna isn't in my thoughts and prayers. Every time I come here, I hope to see she has been found. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the many WSs who care for her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back