Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Oh....Breaking......(no joke) Italy has a pasta crises....Wheat shortage combined with strikes by transporters because of the high fuel prices.

This is worrying. Sure, we all love pasta and wouldn’t mind paying a bit more for a bag, no biggie. But with Russia & Ukraine supplying a quarter of the worlds wheat, a global shortage could spell disaster for poorer countries that rely on it for food.

We’ve had pestilence, now war, next up… famine?

I think the kid that was tracking Musk’s flights is

this is weird. I went to the page, planning to just cut and paste into Google Translate. When I clicked on some English articles on the R hand corner, his article turned into English. I returned back, planning to read it in English, but now it is back in Dutch. But I bet there is the way to get to English version, because I saw it.

The problem of any nuclear conflict is the fallout. If Chernobyl polluted Europe, if Fukushima polluted the ocean, then, even if there is a “winner” in nuclear war, life as we know it becomes impossible. Anyone who hits the button understands the threat to the world. That the threat comes from Russia…its old leaders, Brezhnev et al were horrified of the war, having fought in WWII. That anyone can threaten it is unbelievable - the threat used to never ever come from Russia, we were horrified of the WWIII. This is an unprecedented threat.

As a pacifist who believes 90% of conflicts are avoidable, I am deeply upset and scared, too.
It seemed after WWII and the two A-bombs cooler minds have prevailed. But to put your nuclear arsenal on high alert 3 days after you invade a neighboring sovereign country...unprovoked... then when it's not going the way you thought it would you have war games (training exercises) on land in a snowstorm and at sea in an area of very VERY on-edge neighbors and aggravated and possibly twitchy NATO forces!!? The man has lost his last marble. It feels like I'm watching an honor-killing and can't raise a finger to help the world from being destroyed by a noseless murderer...AJMO

Edit to explain: Putin cannot and will not EVER admit he's wrong and back down...that's what I'm seeing by his actions

This is worrying. Sure, we all love pasta and wouldn’t mind paying a bit more for a bag, no biggie. But with Russia & Ukraine supplying a quarter of the worlds wheat, a global shortage could spell disaster for poorer countries that rely on it for food.

We’ve had pestilence, now war, next up… famine?

Yes, you make a point....spaghetti was always very cheap. A lot of families have that on their dinner list....to cut the costs....again I was not joking.

I'm not sure this is all of it...but a big part that I remember....and do not take the translation literally...the subtle differences are wipe away in translation.

FORMER NATO CHIEF DE HOOP SCHEFFER: I DO NOT FORESEE A WAR (the question was actually if he thought we were going to have a WWIII)

Today, 14:26Update: today, 15:11

Russian President Vladimir Putin is unpredictable as the leader of a large country with nuclear weapons. That says former NATO boss and Minister of State Jaap de Hoop Scheffer in BNR's Big Five. But, says the former secretary general, Putin also knows that using it means his own end. "I don't foresee a war." According to De Hoop Scheffer, NATO must quickly increase its military presence in the Baltic states.

De Hoop Scheffer calls the Russian invasion of Ukraine 'a turning point', Europe's own 9/11 moment after which everything will be different: from NATO's strategy to increased defense spending. The former NATO chief does not (yet) want to speak of a Third World War, but does point out that things will be completely different if 'Putin decides to put one toe on one square centimeter of NATO territory'.

"Then we have the next phase in the conflict, then NATO as a whole steps into action and then we talk about a completely different situation." According to De Hoop Scheffer, on a scale of 10 we are now at 7.5, in the event of an attack on NATO 'well over nine'.

full of revenge
Asked to what extent he thinks Putin still makes rational decisions, the minister of state says that rationality in Putin's head has given way to revisionism and rancor. He is petulant, resentful and full of vengeance, making him unpredictable as the leader of a large country with nuclear weapons. But he also knows that using it will mean the end.' De Hoop Scheffer therefore does not think that Putin is turning his nuclear threat with nuclear weapons into actual action.

This does not alter the fact that Putin's isolation as leader De Hoop Scheffer is a cause for concern. He went from being an autocrat to a dictator. He withdraws into isolation with a couple of advisers nodding yes, and that is very risqué.' According to the former NATO boss, who speaks from experience, every leader is in a bubble and at the same time every leader should be well aware of it. "Every leader has to watch out for that."

No war
Yet De Hoop Scheffer does not foresee a war. NATO is not going to go to war with Russia over Ukraine. Putin knows that, which is why he is untruthful in his propaganda saying that NATO is threatening Russia. Incidentally, he says, Putin is more afraid of the European Union than of NATO. The Union stands for democracy, and that puts the ax to the roots of his regime. "Putin is afraid that Ukraine will become a kind of Poland."

Clumsy Von der Leyen (He did not say this)
Despite all the rhetoric from EU President Ursula von der Leyen, De Hoop Scheffer does not see EU membership for Ukraine happening any time soon. He says Ukraine is a corrupt country (he didn't say this like this at all, there is a lot that they can do better, diplomatic wording) that is far from ready for any accession. He therefore qualified von der Leyen's comments that Ukraine should become a member of the Union more quickly as clumsy (no, that wasn't the wording, it sound very different when you translate straight up...it's like this but in Dutch another meaning/translation). 'That is not what it is about, but the Member States. And it is needlessly an additional irritation for Putin. Don't push him any further into a corner. As an EU, be as proactive as you can be, but talking about membership now is unwise. I think von der Leyen knows that now too.'

NATO strengthening Baltic countries
According to de Hoop Scheffer, NATO must quickly strengthen its military presence in the Baltic Sea region. He points to the so-called Suwalki Passage, a 100-kilometre strip of Poland connecting the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad with its ally Belarus, thus forming the only land link between the Baltic states and the rest of NATO. "NATO must be there, if that Suwalki gap is closed, NATO will have a big problem and no more land access to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania."

New NATO paradigm
If Ukraine is 'rolled up' by Russia, NATO will be bordering a Russian-controlled area. According to De Hoop Scheffer, this means that the entire NATO strategy must be rewritten, although different parameters apply: every European country is aware that defense spending must increase, there is a renewed European solidarity and previously neutral countries such as Finland and Sweden consider joining NATO. The Finnish parliament has voted in favor of membership by a majority.

More NATO, more Europe
'We now need more NATO and more Europe.' According to De Hoop Scheffer, the ultimate security does come from Washington, but this is a 'serious wake-up call'. Because now there is a Biden in the White House, but will there be a Trump there later? "When the wall fell, we sat down in a beach chair with a glass of white wine and we outsourced the defense to the Americans." According to De Hoop Scheffer, we thought, in line with the writer Fukuyama, that we had reached the 'end of history'. "But history is back and we have to rewrite it."

The Chinese twist
Quite unexpectedly, China has offered to mediate in the conflict. It is clear to De Hoop Scheffer: China is upset with this conflict. 'China has its fingers in the door. This was already apparent in the Security Council, where the Chinese did not veto the resolution tabled by the Americans, but abstained from voting. China has no ambition and no need to get into a conflict with the EU. China as a superpower sees this with sorrow, it is an absolute novelty to utter these words. It's too early for that, but it's special. It indicates that China is concerned.'

Taiwan
According to De Hoop Scheffer, China is 'looking very closely' at Biden and the US to see how the Americans will solve this. Because in the background is the Taiwan issue. That's why Joe Biden has sent a senior delegation of former military and political leaders from both the Bush and Obama administrations to Taiwan to meet with the Taiwanese president. That is a warning and a reassurance at the same time. The warning to China is unequivocal: despite a war in Europe, we remain active in the Pacific. So China does not get a license to invade Taiwan. It is also reassuring to Japan and South Korea.

De-escalation via back channels
Finally, De Hoop Scheffer hopes that, as with the Cuban crisis in 1962, there will be a so-called 'back channel' where the US and Russia communicate directly with each other. 'A means must be found along back channels to de-escalate. You have to have a line between people who have access to the presidents. The major risk in this type of conflict is miscommunication. There must be de-escalation.'
Ok so then is this what he's doing now with his new training exercises? It fits the model just used in Ukraine doesn't it!?

Snipped and BBM

"NATO strengthening Baltic countries
According to de Hoop Scheffer, NATO must quickly strengthen its military presence in the Baltic Sea region. He points to the so-called Suwalki Passage, a 100-kilometre strip of Poland connecting the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad with its ally Belarus, thus forming the only land link between the Baltic states and the rest of NATO. "NATO must be there, if that Suwalki gap is closed, NATO will have a big problem and no more land access to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania."

Ok so then is this what he's doing now with his new training exercises? It fits the model just used in Ukraine doesn't it!?

Snipped and BBM

"NATO strengthening Baltic countries

Not sure what you mean with he and doing his new training exercise....Do you mean Putin...sorry...

A question comes to mind. What would you do if your loved one says...I'm going to fight with the Ukrainians? For me personally I don't have a "ready" answer to this.
My son who is 15, (16 this Dec ) wants to join the British Army next year under the junior soldier programme once he’s completed his GCSEs. It is a much easier settling in to Army life because of his age and homesickness etc and they are taught the Army skills but without the brutish sometimes almost bullying behaviour to get them to toughen up. It’s a more relaxed introduction into Army life because obviously when he turns 18, the Army preferably want him to join the regular Army as a soldier ( albeit he doesn’t have to but it’s the chance they take during his student/ cadet ship. ) I am not against the idea because he’s a very intelligent young man but struggles academically because of severe dyslexia and cognitive reasoning issues and no matter how hard he tries, and he does, his school have virtually washed their hands of him over the last couple of months as he heads towards mock GCSEs in preparation for the real thing next year and it’s obvious that it’s because come results day, he won’t add significantly to the Schools success shown on the results table which will be circulated and the school want to protect their high achieving position within these ‘league tables’. It’s sickening and has really affected his confidence as he was in a small group of children with special educational needs for English called ‘sets’ which targeted his needs to help improvement . At the commencement of this academic school year in September gone, without prior notice to any of the boys, they removed all ‘sets’ and told my son that he would be better off sat in with the ‘brainy boys’ as he will learn more from them . He was then given English literature homework which I quote ….
“Contrast the joyous connotation of the juxtaposition of mrs Johnson as she dances with her menial cleaning tools whilst working. “
Include in your answer :
Hyperbole
Stage foreshadowing
Exclamative foreshadowing
Stage direction
He turned to me and said “Mum I haven’t got a clue what they are talking about. I can’t even say some of these words, never mind spell them or know what they mean. He’s so dejected. It’s heartbreaking.
They are not treating him as a young man on the cusp of his life and trying to get the best education that he can. He’s just a number who unfortunately now, has been tossed aside because of the Government led School success league tables. Sorry to go on a little there but my point is that during this time as a junior soldier, more education is given and he has the opportunity to retake and pass his GCSE English. Plus he will get to learn all the skills that the Army offer for example- jumping out of airplanes, teaching him to drive and drive tanks, be educated in firearms and practice using them, and a whole bunch of other interesting stuff plus he will be part of a team who are all starting at the same level and by the time he reaches 18 and joins the regulars, he will already have the fitness and the bed making skills and ironing and bulling his boot skills and basic army training skills so it will not be as daunting for him as what it would be when joining at 18 when you are totally new to that environment and have to learn many of the skills that he will already have by then . It will help him mature and give him good communication skills and the structure will help him immensely as he needs structure in his life. So he’s looking forward to it and therefore I will support him no matter how much I want to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool . However, this situation whereby Russia has invaded Ukraine, has really put it all into perspective for me and my thoughts are already drifting to what if we end up in WW3 as a result of Putins actions right now and my son ends up with a mandatory deployment to war at such a young age. It terrifies me but it’s what he wants to do and I have to let him live his life as he chooses and all that I can do is to guide him and ensure that he knows what is expected of him and that he has options. So it’s gone from being a really good focus for him and still is irrespective of what is happening in Ukraine, with my support to the reality within my mind of potentially what will happen to him and I am already worrying about these possibilities when it’s 12/18 months plus away yet . It’s terrifying to think about. But it’s his life and I will support him.

Not sure what you mean with he and doing his new training exercise....Do you mean Putin...sorry...
Tiff's last post...

Training that occurred yesterday:
Russia's Northern Fleet said in a statement that several of its nuclear submarines were involved in exercises designed to “train maneuvering in stormy conditions.” It said several warships tasked with protecting northwest Russia's Kola Peninsula, where several naval bases are located, would join the maneuvers.

In the Irkutsk region of eastern Siberia, units of the Strategic Missile Forces dispersed Yars intercontinental ballistic missile launchers in forests to practice secret deployment, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The military didn't say whether the drills were linked to Putin's order on Sunday to put the country's nuclear forces on high alert amid Russia's war in Ukraine. It also was unclear whether the exercises represented a change in the country's normal nuclear training activities or posture.
Russia holds drills with nuclear subs, land-based missiles

Weather conditions to begin to shift :(:
While light snow is already falling in parts of the country, heavier snow will move in on Thursday as an area of low pressure moves northward from the Black Sea and along the eastern Ukrainian border with Russia on Thursday and Friday. This will bring periods of the heaviest snow and worst conditions on Thursday and Friday, lasting into Saturday. Key cities impacted include Donetsk, Kharkiv and Luhansk.

Kharkiv and Donetsk could each see more than 8 inches (or 20 cm), falling mostly on Thursday/Friday in Donetsk and Friday/Saturday in Kharkiv.
Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine

Kola Peninsula is Finland waters right?

And I did mistake the land exercises as being closer to the fighting when in fact they will be quite the distance away, Thank goodness. My apologies. I got too upset, too quickly...I need a break for a bit

God knows what plans he may have for Mediterranean. He can't be too pleased with Turkey right now in the Black Sea.
Let's also not forget that precious little Moldova, just west of Ukraine also borders the Black Sea and is not a NATO member. Having this as a Russian possesion, again, would really help control the Black Sea for Russia.

They have a policy of neutrality: "The Republic of Moldova does not allow the deployment of armed forces of other states on its territory." Thus, since Moldova's neutrality is enshrined in its constitution, the country has no plans to join either NATO or CSTO."

I think this is worrisome, and stupid Belarusian President Lukashenko may very well have spilled a plan to invade Moldova, too.

Putin will stop at nothing, and he has no problem violating a neutral country, especially if he is desperate.

Tiff's last post...

Training that occurred yesterday:
Russia's Northern Fleet said in a statement that several of its nuclear submarines were involved in exercises designed to “train maneuvering in stormy conditions.” It said several warships tasked with protecting northwest Russia's Kola Peninsula, where several naval bases are located, would join the maneuvers.

In the Irkutsk region of eastern Siberia, units of the Strategic Missile Forces dispersed Yars intercontinental ballistic missile launchers in forests to practice secret deployment, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The military didn't say whether the drills were linked to Putin's order on Sunday to put the country's nuclear forces on high alert amid Russia's war in Ukraine. It also was unclear whether the exercises represented a change in the country's normal nuclear training activities or posture.
Russia holds drills with nuclear subs, land-based missiles

Weather conditions to begin to shift :(:
While light snow is already falling in parts of the country, heavier snow will move in on Thursday as an area of low pressure moves northward from the Black Sea and along the eastern Ukrainian border with Russia on Thursday and Friday. This will bring periods of the heaviest snow and worst conditions on Thursday and Friday, lasting into Saturday. Key cities impacted include Donetsk, Kharkiv and Luhansk.

Kharkiv and Donetsk could each see more than 8 inches (or 20 cm), falling mostly on Thursday/Friday in Donetsk and Friday/Saturday in Kharkiv.
Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine

Kola Peninsula is Finland waters right?

And I did mistake the land exercises as being closer to the fighting when in fact they will be quite the distance away, Thank goodness. My apologies. I got too upset, too quickly...I need a break for a bit

Yes, this is very much an implied threat to Finland, who is very much ready and waiting to beomc part of NATO.

Kola Penninsula is attached to Finland. It looks like Russia does not have complete land access to it and would have to access it by ship, entering into Finnish waters.

Interesting indeed!!! imo, rbbm.
January 26, 2022
Russian war games: Can Ireland stop exercises off its coast? | CTV News
''With the announcement that Russia plans to hold a live-fire naval exercise next month off the coast of Ireland – despite Ireland declaring their presence unwelcome, aspects of military maritime law have come under scrutiny as tensions continue to rise over the current Ukraine-Russia crisis.

The naval exercises are said to be taking place in parts of the Pacific, Mediterranean and an area about 130 nautical miles, or 240 kilometres, off the coast of County Cork, Ireland.

That location put the Russian navy within Ireland’s Exclusive Economic Zone, which extends for 200 nautical miles and is patrolled by Irish naval ships and airplanes. It is also the location of several crucial transatlantic data cables.''

''As for the Russians choosing the location off the coast of Ireland, Norman said it was “interesting” that the Russians would venture that far south.''

sbm
He was then given English literature homework which I quote ….
“Contrast the joyous connotation of the juxtaposition of mrs Johnson as she dances with her menial cleaning tools whilst working. “
Include in your answer :
Hyperbole
Stage foreshadowing
Exclamative foreshadowing
Stage direction
He turned to me and said “Mum I haven’t got a clue what they are talking about. I can’t even say some of these words, never mind spell them or know what they mean.
I'm studying at university right now and I haven't got a clue what that means either. o_O
Hope whatever your son decides to do goes well <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member