Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can assure all that these areas are accessible by car. On Sunday and Tuesday I once again walked from home to Mt Clear (12kms each way). I decided to enter the park from the Elsworth St end and start videoing again. Don't think I can upload yet. I am assuming that the police are now trying to capture any CCTV images from any of the exits/entry ways into the park. I have entered or left via 4 so far - Cathie St (which becomes Boundary and from which Samantha's neighbours said she would often enter through), Elsworth St (which is at the end of an Industrial zoned work area), Recreation St (closest to where her watch indicated an event took place i.e. closest way to access Boak rd) and also Olympic Avenue (which is the road of which the suspect's parents house is located). I have only noticed 2 cameras spread over those 4 entry points and unlikely to have any data not written over at this stage.

On Sunday and Tuesday I was once again a lonely sole in Boak Rd and apart from one man striding up Boak Road (as I was coming down it) on the Sunday I saw no walkers/joggers for the couple of hours I was in the park. Recreation Road each time is much like a Gran Prix circuit with few observing the recommended 40 kms zone and kicking up dust and small stones (as it is extremely dry in the park).

As an aside note the air search today maybe in relation to 2 people trapped in a mine on the other side of Mt Clear (which is a very active and managed Gold Mine site within Ballarat). They are trapped in a rock cave in. This mine is enclosed by a security fence and would be impossible I would think for anyone to dump a body.

Now as I am on foot I am able to understand the geography of the park. I have failed to find any mine which would be easy to stuff a body in (excuse the crude picture). As to cars on Boak and other narrower path ways - they do and are apparent. On the day of the large search I and another man spoke to 2 SUV's who slowed to confirm we were all looking for Samantha. On Tuesday I kept coming abreast a VIC Forest branded Ute and Trailer travelling around the single lanes. I was amazed to watch it traverse the steeper tracks with trailer and these trails are heavily rutted (but it did). I was looking to take cover in a prickly bush had they not turned around in a wider section (video captured) as I was coming from the Boundary end of Boak road having traversed via Olympia Avenue. By the time I made my way down past the Phone Tower (almost opposite a waterhole for wildlife - and very shallow) I noticed a new pile of fly tipping which either I had not noticed as I came up Boak road or it had happened in the 1.5 hours I gone around Olympia Av. So there is nothing to debate on the 'can a car traverse tracks like Boak road'. This issue is that unless you want to potentially damage your vehicle you need to slow down. I presume this may be one of the reasons that the suspect was not charged with Hit and Run. Unlike recreation road, Boak and other tracks have sections which require you to at least slow down. However if you have indeed taken drink and drugs perhaps judgement is completely out the window and rather than give the runner/walker room you decide to stalk them in your vehicle. The part of Boak coming from the intersection of Boundary/Recreation etc passed the Water pump station (yes I thought it was an electricity substation too) does at one point narrow such that as a walker/jogger you would have to squeeze into the undergrowth getting scratched. If Samantha like me (female and in the same age range) decided to give said driver a piece of her mind, he may have got out of the vehicle (which is a covered white UTE - so with the ground clearance needed in the park) and say no more. If she had not taken water then the journey from her place to Boak is 'up and down hill'. My devices indicate 23 floors climbed coming via Boundary and 6 floors via Dozle. By the time I got to that intersection I had drank my bottle of water. So as she was said to have low blood pressure (in the very first post when she went missing not ever reconfirmed), I would guess she was not at her fighting best.

So there are in theory at least 2 properties which are best accessed via the park if you are moving between the Family Home (off Olympia Avenue) and the property being house sat (off Yendon No 2 Road) when you are avoiding the Police. In Australia we are often subject to the Booze/Drug Bus. This gives the police the right without cause to test your alcohol and drug levels. I don't know where after the night at the deck (if this has been confirmed) in central Ballarat he retrieved the vehicle. Why would you want to come off recreation road in the early hours of Sunday morning. On a hot day most people decided to do their physical activity well before midday so 8/8.30am is not an hour of the day where it would be without risk to go dumping bodies. I am still going to see if I can access the 'tip' area of Whitehorse Road which is the other area the Police were physically searching before the suspect was arrested. Hard to see how to enter that area with a vehicle without the houses opposite noticing your movements. The side of tip hill with the active mine is a 'mess' with rubbish and very short trails as most of the site is fenced off because of the Gold mine. The day I was there, there were workers being lifted in a crane to the top of the other Mt Clear phone tower. Had we known they could have been handed devices to scan the landscape from above.

I have several videos of the area she walked and possible lost her life but not sure if I am allowed to post these here as I am quite new.

Sorry for the length of the post.
Thank you for your very informative post SEJ. .. and for taking the time to check all this out.

I’ve been wondering if the accused did electrical work in the Mt Clear area, perhaps on the telecom tower or water treatment plant.

From my experience, these trades tend to get an early start, so it could be possible that he has quite often seen SM on her runs.

JMO

Police said they were not looking for anyone else at this stage in connection to the alleged murder.

Mmmm, that should take the pressure off anyone else that might be connected. Wouldn't it? I'm sure the police would tell us exactly what they are thinking minute by minute.

Why would they even mention this? It's completely unnecessary information.

If they were convinced the accused was the sole perpetrator, they don't need to mention this, as I'm sure even they wouldn't have the full facts on who was or wasn't involved at this stage.

edit: admittedly they did use the word 'at this stage'. Similar to taking 'further statements'.

Last edited:
What I haven't heard much of at all, is that multiple people could have been involved. One with a directive to remove SM. Another to facilitate that process, and another or others to execute the plan. Or perhaps the middleman wasn't necessary.

A body is heavy. Even SM. If speed and efficiency is vital to avoiding detection of where the body is, then at least two people would be needed.

Let's say the accused isn't the only perpetrator. What are the other options?
Let's be true detectives.
I believe most sleuths are basing our theories around what has been stated by the police,
Chief Commissioner Patton said police would allege the accused man acted alone.”

I guess entertaining notions of accomplices or multiple parties involved would be shaped by one’s theories about motive.

For example, I believe a perpetrator would be very secretive if the attack was sexually motivated and depraved and it would be hard to recruit friends to help in those circumstances.

Probably because, at this point in time, the police don't believe anyone else is involved.

This is from six days ago ... the police seem to be steering away from their presser where they said one or more people could be involved.

“Investigations will continue at a very heavy pace,” Patton said. “Doing everything we can to locate Samantha’s body for the family is absolutely vital.”
Police said they were not looking for anyone else at this stage in connection to the alleged murder.

..... identified as alleged killer of Ballarat woman

Plenty of people have moved someone by themselves. I named 3 of them earlier ... Borce Ristevski, Adrian Bayley, Greg Lynn (allegedly moved two people by himself).

imo
Unless they're not "looking for anyone else", because they already have their suspicions/ have found who it could be. I'm not really sure though...

Mmmm, that should take the pressure off anyone else that might be connected. Wouldn't it? I'm sure the police would tell us exactly what they are thinking minute by minute.

Why would they even mention this? It's completely unnecessary information.

If they were convinced the accused was the sole perpetrator, they don't need to mention this, as I'm sure even they wouldn't have the full facts on who was or wasn't involved at this stage.

edit: admittedly they did use the word 'at this stage'. Similar to taking 'further statements'.
IMO it is completely necessary information and if he hadn't of stated it the first question reporters would have asked is are they looking for someone else in connection with this case if anything it a sign of the police knowing what kind of questions they were going to be asked by reporters

Would be amazing if they stumbled across poor Samantha's body in the bush there while carrying out this rescue

hoping everyone there is Ok
Would be amazing if they stumbled across poor Samantha's body in the bush there while carrying out this rescue

hoping everyone there is Ok
Yes I heard correctly: 3 kilometres down, one in hospital and the other stuck under a boulder 3 klms. down. This is a reality check of what a mine is and the length and extremity of a mineshaft. And our suspected perp. is an electrician by trade. MOO

Southaussie, from what I can tell the accused had access to two, maybe even three houses and seemed to drift between them IMO:
- house sitting property (Scottsburn)
- parents house (Mt Clear)
- also recall mention in MSM that the accused maintained a “share house” but can’t find the link. This may be referencing the house sitting house, or another 3rd house with some mates?

So I’m thinking the accused could have been gone all day Sunday, and not be missed. Parents would think he’s at the Scottsburn house with GF, while GF would think he’s at Mt Clear with parents. Or crashed at the sharehouse, or a mates house. They’d have a fair idea a Saturday night bender was a possibility so neither household would have missed him all day, assuming he’s sleeping off the bender.

Throwing a third house in the mix, the possible share house, or a mates house even, would further cloud the accused whereabouts for the entire day on Sunday.

So IMO the accused could have travelled far and wide before being missed, maybe even into the evening on Sunday.

It would be fascinating to understand when he eventually resurfaced after the alleged bender. Did he make it to work on Monday, or still coming down from the bender.
any locations further out from Scotsbrun... such as closer to the foot of Mt. Buninyong? I keep thinking of the view from the house sitting house.

I've got to say, I've loved joining this sleuthing site.
So many great points and sleuths.

<modsnip - rude>

So far it seems, the accused is a crazed, drug induced attacker acting alone.

As only a few others have noted, that might not be the case. Too much evidence to hide in that state of mind, and too little time.

What I haven't heard much of at all, is that multiple people could have been involved. One with a directive to remove SM. Another to facilitate that process, and another or others to execute the plan. Or perhaps the middleman wasn't necessary.

A body is heavy. Even SM. If speed and efficiency is vital to avoiding detection of where the body is, then at least two people would be needed.

Let's say the accused isn't the only perpetrator. What are the other options?
Let's be true detectives.
Nah, too messy in this instance I reckon. If there are more, the pressure in the community would surely be causing some of them to be squealing by now. I think PS acted alone and thinks that if he doesn’t give up the body he’s got the best chance of wiggling out of it. I think he also tried to hide his name out of shame and concern about his fathers (and mothers) reaction and/or possibly in a bid to spare them or protect them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if She had any strange encounters before with this accused,

maybe even noticed him a few times hanging around the paths where she would run,
maybe he has been hanging around on his motorbike

maybe even been seen near her house, and she had mentioned this to some of her family members,
whether her husband knew at the time or she might not want to concern him

She might not have thought a lot into it and probably thought, I have my Apple Watch and I will take my phone If I need to call anyone quickly

Her aunty said, she never turned her phone off, it was always hooked up,
maybe again, She was a bit nervous about what she was experiencing and made sure the phone was constantly on

She said someone SM didn't know was stalking her ?

Did her aunt know something ? Or was it just a feeling she had ?

The police would know this, maybe his vehicle has been picked up on CCTV near her house or motorbike

If this is true about the accused, and she has been previously stalked

this would make it a very calculated, targeted attack

he could have been watching her as she was about to leave for her run, and then headed ahead of her into the bush, waiting for her

But the comments from Samantha's aunt have stayed on my mind

Some interesting quotes from her aunt and uncle .....

“Somebody would have been watching her; I can’t think it would be anything else,’ Ms Murphy’s aunt Janice Robson said on Thursday.

“Someone who she didn’t even know was stalking her.”

Ms Murphy, 51, is believed to have left her Eureka St home in East Ballarat for a run into bushland at about 7am on February 4. She never returned.

Ms Murphy’s uncle and aunt Allan and Janice Robson told the Daily Mail on Thursday that foul play was the explanation that now made most sense.

The couple said the fact Ms Murphy’s phone hadn’t made communication with a mobile tower since she went missing didn’t bode well.

“She would never switch that phone off … that phone was always hooked up,” said Mr Robson.

The heartbroken family of missing mum-of-three Samantha Murphy fear she was abducted by a deranged stalker who pounced while she was on a morning run.

'I don't think it's an opportunist,' Mrs Robson said.

'I think it's been someone who has been stalking her. Someone who she didn't even know was stalking her.'
Mrs Robson suggested anyone who knew her niece knew she was a creature of habit when it came to exercise.

'She would routinely go for a run in the morning,' she said.

Both are baffled by the mystery of her phone, saying she would not have ventured as far away from her home, where police believe her mobile made its last communication with a tower.

@MinakaI've seen lots of speculation here about an accomplice - even after police have stated they're not looking for anyone else (a common statement in investigations). There's only so much we can sleuth here, and yet we are on thread 7 of theories and facts. Since we can't sleuth people that aren't named by LE as a POI or suspect, there's only so much people can say about these theories.
I do think the accused acted alone. Anything else will be up to investigators to determine. They've kept a lot close to the vest, so maybe we will be surprised.

Last edited:
A map of Ballarat scattered with orange and yellow dots

Each orange and yellow dot represents known mining activity in the Ballarat area.

Experts say it is entirely feasible illegal mining activity once took place in Ballarat, given its prominent role in the gold rush, making it impossible to now know the location of every shaft.

Mr Shaw said he had located at least 100 mineshafts during his searches in Ballarat bushland during the past five weeks and he had been down about 60
View attachment 490131
I tried to look up some mine information- obviously current mines have maps and detailed information but when you imagine people mining legally and illegally since the 1800s.... pretty mind boggling what can be underground and not recorded IMO (locals- is it typical to do any testing before building a subdivion or roads?) seems like a vast tangle of who-knows-what. IMO.

Chief Commissioner Patton said police would allege the accused man acted alone.”

For example, I believe a perpetrator would be very secretive if the attack was sexually motivated and depraved and it would be hard to recruit friends to help in those circumstances.

I totally agree with your points. It would be out of play to involve anyone else if the alleged perp. has committed such acts. MOO

A reminder to all posters, especially new members who may not as yet have fully absorbed all of the guidelines to read the rules of websleuths thoroughly. As it says in the guidelines, if you don't like what others are saying you can click 'ignore' if it breaches the rules, click 'report'. Subjudice is at play here, I'm sure none of us want the threads closed overnights again.
Rules - Etiquette & Information
Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I wonder if She had any strange encounters before with this accused,

maybe even noticed him a few times hanging around the paths where she would run,
maybe he has been hanging around on his motorbike

maybe even been seen near her house, and she had mentioned this to some of her family members,
whether her husband knew at the time or she might not want to concern him

She might not have thought a lot into it and probably thought, I have my Apple Watch and I will take my phone If I need to call anyone quickly

Her aunty said, she never turned her phone off, it was always hooked up,
maybe again, She was a bit nervous about what she was experiencing and made sure the phone was constantly on

She said someone SM didn't know was stalking her ?

Did her aunt know something ? Or was it just a feeling she had ?

The police would know this, maybe his vehicle has been picked up on CCTV near her house or motorbike

If this is true about the accused, and she has been previously stalked

this would make it a very calculated, targeted attack

he could have been watching her as she was about to leave for her run, and then headed ahead of her into the bush, waiting for her

But the comments from Samantha's aunt have stayed on my mind

Some interesting quotes from her aunt and uncle .....

“Somebody would have been watching her; I can’t think it would be anything else,’ Ms Murphy’s aunt Janice Robson said on Thursday.

“Someone who she didn’t even know was stalking her.”

Ms Murphy, 51, is believed to have left her Eureka St home in East Ballarat for a run into bushland at about 7am on February 4. She never returned.

Ms Murphy’s uncle and aunt Allan and Janice Robson told the Daily Mail on Thursday that foul play was the explanation that now made most sense.

The couple said the fact Ms Murphy’s phone hadn’t made communication with a mobile tower since she went missing didn’t bode well.

“She would never switch that phone off … that phone was always hooked up,” said Mr Robson.

The heartbroken family of missing mum-of-three Samantha Murphy fear she was abducted by a deranged stalker who pounced while she was on a morning run.

'I don't think it's an opportunist,' Mrs Robson said.

'I think it's been someone who has been stalking her. Someone who she didn't even know was stalking her.'
Mrs Robson suggested anyone who knew her niece knew she was a creature of habit when it came to exercise.

'She would routinely go for a run in the morning,' she said.

Both are baffled by the mystery of her phone, saying she would not have ventured as far away from her home, where police believe her mobile made its last communication with a tower.

Attached article is dated 16 February 2024:
Mrs Robson.
This is 12 days after the event and the police have been collecting all that data and are in constant contact with MM whilst maintaining a investigative distance. This speaks a volume of what was going on in the background.
Thank you for posting this Nifty. MOO

A reminder to all posters, especially new members who may not as yet have fully absorbed all of the guidelines to read the rules of websleuths thoroughly. As it says in the guidelines, if you don't like what others are saying you can click 'ignore' if it breaches the rules, click 'report'. Subjudice is at play here, I'm sure none of us want the threads closed overnights again.
Rules - Etiquette & Information
Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.
This ^^^ is a good reminder.

IMO it is completely necessary information and if he hadn't of stated it the first question reporters would have asked is are they looking for someone else in connection with this case if anything it a sign of the police knowing what kind of questions they were going to be asked by reporters
Thank you. I wasn't a member when you posted this and I tried very hard to download it to study but couldn't but now I can. Thank you.

Further to 'asking the right questions'.

When the police stated 'We'll be taking further statements'.

The definition of further is "additional to what already exists or has already taken place, been done, or been accounted for".

What do we think of these additional statements the police are taking?

Trooper mentioned bins in his example of another case study. I already had it noted as a point of issue. The disposal of clothes, personal belongings including the iPhone and Apple watch (IMEI) (GPS data) may have been disposed on in rubbish bins and trash cans by the alleged perp. I have included the URL for you to search. Perhaps sleuths here may wish to provide a list of suburbs and areas that had their rubbish and trash collected 4th onwards.
I assume the LE have already sectioned off and sifted through the trash trying to locate something in this case.
MOO

Re the trash… there was a story a few years back where unfortunate new constables were gloved up searching through the local tip…for days… I can see this happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jme81