Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, during the presser it was stated that DNA linked Faye to "the residence" and to the perp.

When they stated they did not know where she was kept until Thursday AM, does that mean they do not know where in his house he kept her or they do not know if she was kept in his house at all?
Both?

I wonder where the body was hidden before he moved it. I thought I remember neighbors saying LE were looking in washers and driers. Jmo

CT let them search his home that afternoon. Nothing was found and he did seem cooperative.

Where did he hide her?

I wonder if he removed her from the can where her boot and the ladle was found.

Given the amount of law enforcement that deployed remained on constant watch and search of Churchill Heights, I don't believe that Faye was ever in the garbage bin with easy access to investigators.

I've little doubt that Faye was anywhere but concealed inside apartment 602.

By all accounts, CT was cooperative and gave consent for officers to enter and walk through his apartment. As CT was not interviewed until Wednesday, I believe this investigation had sufficient resources to know the background of the residents and homes they were interviewing.

CT had no criminal history and was not known to police and not surprised he did not present as suspicious. Seems he was able to hold it together until hours later (after police interview) when he died of a self- inflicted neck wound. MOO

ETA:
I think also think CT had a very good cover as GM of a local Wingstop eatery located about 3.5 miles from his apartment (about 10-15 mins by car).

FBI provided the door to door canvassers with questions to ask residents to gain information and I wouldn't be surprised if he provided them that he opened (the eatery) on Monday, came home for early dinner and soon returned to his store for the dinner rush -- where he remained until closing.

Knowing a few fast-food franchise owners personally, this is fairly typical for their long hours and would have given CT the perfect window to capture and murder Faye without detection or suspicion-- especially as LE would already have record of CT entering his neighborhood late Monday night. (I think CT could have left his apartment before LE was mobilized (Faye already dead) and setting up for the all hands on deck search effort).

Alicia Neaves‏Verified account @AliciaNeavesTV
JUST IN: We have learned Coty Taylor was the GM of the West Columbia Wingstop and began his employment in June of 2016. He is the man who was found dead at his home, and is connected to the #FayeSwetlik case.

3:47 PM - 15 Feb 2020 from South Carolina, USA

The hours for this location are:
11 AM - 10 PM (SUN-TH)
11 AM - 12 AM (FRI-SAT).

Last edited:
Greg Suskin on Twitter
Lexington coroner Margaret Fisher says her heart breaks for the parents of Faye Swetlik.
ERFW5DSW4AEAlBD.jpg

3:06 PM - 18 Feb 2020

Greg Suskin on Twitter
6-year-old Faye Swetlik died by asphyxiation. According to Lexington County coroner Margaret Fisher. Speaking at a news conference, she says it happened very shortly after she was abducted
ERFXPTMXUAcOtu8.jpg
ERFXPVCXkAI-vOi.jpg

3:08 PM - 18 Feb 2020

I think that's why there's still an ongoing investigation. It seems odd that he was getting away with it, set it up for evidence to be found then watched what happened once that evidence was found and immediately offed himself. I can't think of a similar case where a criminal is getting away with it and then acts like this, which him slitting his own throat immediately on the scene seems to rule out him being set up.

Exactly. Just a very odd case in many ways.

Perhaps he thought suicide by cutting his throat was to atone for what he did? He had no time iMO to do anything else.
I don't think I will spend any more time on this killer.
I'm so impressed with LE - they really should share their procedures and the FBI as well.
JMO
I couldn’t agree more!

Why couldn't he have let her go and just killed himself? Ugh. My feeling is that he only decided to complete suicide when he knew the walls were closing in Thursday AM. Evil coward.
I don't believe he thought any of this through. I believe he acted on impulse, perhaps he had been able to ignore these impulses previously. IDK. MOO

I think that's why there's still an ongoing investigation. It seems odd that he was getting away with it, set it up for evidence to be found then watched what happened once that evidence was found and immediately offed himself. I can't think of a similar case where a criminal is getting away with it and then acts like this, which him slitting his own throat immediately on the scene seems to rule out him being set up.
The Chief said they didn't know where she was from Monday to Thursday, so I would hope they are trying to determine that. jmo

Edited by me...to delete quoted posts included in error.

Last edited:
Greg Suskin on Twitter
Dept of public safety director Byron Snellgrove says This was never just a case for them. But Faye Swetlik captured all their hearts from the beginning.
ERFX99AXsAEMd6w.jpg

3:11 PM - 18 Feb 2020

Greg Suskin on Twitter
Cayce officials said DNA found in Coty Taylor’s home put Faye Swetlik there. They believe he killed her within hours of abducting her. He was questioned two days later and his home searches but nothing was found until the next day. Her boot was the item found in his trash.
ERFfDxRWoAMFQ5D.jpg

3:42 PM - 18 Feb 2020

A cut or incised wound is produced by a sharp edge and is usually longer than it is deep (see Figure 3).1,2 Because of the sharp-force mechanism of injury, incised wounds lack tissue bridging and often display very clean, sharp wound edges. Knives, box cutters, glass, and metal typically cause incised wounds.

Laceration or Incised Wound: Know the Difference - ACEP Now

Curious how many suicides are done by cutting their throat? I feel like it's not a ton compared to other ways. Seems slow and painful. Not to say he didn't commit suicide, maybe a knife is all that he had at the time

It is definitely not very common, but there is literature on it. If he cut his carotid, it would be very fast... probably few minutes. If throat was cut, only minutes as well.

CT assaulted and strangled Faye. There is DNA corroborating this. He then hid her body for 2 days. He dumped it behind his house and slit his own throat on his patio while potentially watching the police find her.

There is nothing here to point to a conspiracy where someone else assaulted and killed Faye, was able to leave another person's (CT's) DNA, then hid her for 2 days and also murdered the owner of the DNA. If you think this sounds more plausible than the former, well...
I thought the cause of death was asphyxiation (plugging the nose and mouth).

And do you really think he had a rope? Or pills... he picked the first thing he knew would take his life. I really do hope he suffered if only for a moment.

I don't know what he had in his home. His thoughts are subjective so I have no idea what he was thinking at the time. But looking around my home I see about 12 extension cords, the rope on window blinds, a bed sheet, several bottles of aspirin and iburprofen. These are basic items in most people's homes. CT did not know when the police were going to show up. He probably was aware his time was short. Based on the stats on the most common forms of suicide. I think it is interesting he chose a path that is usually associated with self hatred.

In 2017, firearms were the most common method of death by suicide, accounting for a little more than half (50.57%) of all suicide deaths. The next most common methods were suffocation (including hangings) at 27.72% and poisoning at 13.89%.

Please see below:

The length of time it takes to die following an incised wound of the neck depends on several factors. They include whether the venous or arterial systems are severed and whether there is air embolism [6]. In some instances, victims with single carotid artery cut have moved for about 10 minutes

Homicidal Cut Throat: The Forensic Perspective
(I realize this talks more about homicide, but time to death would still be same)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldGef