SC SC - John, 47, & Elizabeth Calvert, 45, Hilton Head, 3 March 2008

I've been tracking this story since I have relatives in the Savannah area. Hope LE is looking closely at all their business dealings. Might be the same old story....someone was swindling them, they found out and were going to report them and so they had to be silenced. So sad.

I hope the "POI" told LE what happened to the Calverts. Or is this a cover-up for something more sinister?

since this guy was still apparently doing their "bookkeeping", I have a feeling he was stealing funds and they confronted him...just a theory right now.

"notes are being studied by forensic investigators"...gee, what did he do, write them in code, for pete's sake. Either he said where they were or he didn't. I hope LE is trying to find them right now.

since this guy was still apparently doing their "bookkeeping", I have a feeling he was stealing funds and they confronted him...just a theory right now.
It sure does sound that way. I hope the notes can find what happened to the Calverts.

I've been lurking on this case. I really hope that someone can figure out where this man would have killed them and what he did with the bodies after the fact.

Fox news conf - Buford Cnty Sheriff:
(missed the beginning of it)
*inner-thigh cut - on POI
*won't comment on notes till they've been completely analyzed
*more searches planned
*POI questioned one time last week, attempted to set up another interview on Thurs of last week, but he had obtained an attorney and was not cooperating after that
*still searching for Calverts
*neighbors are safe
*level of manpower: sheriff's office, FBI, State law, patrol, etc
*impact of this POI death creates challenges on one hand, and answers on the other hand
*still under investigation though if it's a suicide
*knife was the instrument that created the cuts on the inner thigh of POI

Not much more than we already know, I guess. :(

The man named as a person of interest in the disappearance of a Hilton Head Island couple appears to have committed suicide, authorities said Tuesday.
The body of Dennis Ray Gerwing was found by his lawyer around 4 p.m. in the bathroom of a resort condominium unit his company manages, according to a news release from the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.
Gerwing left behind two notes that are being examined by state agents, said deputies, who refused to release the contents of the notes. (more at link)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336951,00.html

I just heard this on the news. :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

so he bled to death by cutting himself on his inner thigh...that seems very strange, and kind of a long, painful way to go. Course if he didn't have a gun, maybe that's all he had access to was a knife. But maybe he was murdered too...I'm still staying open to all possibilities in this case.

Apparently that's what LE is doing as well, murdershewrote, staying open to all possibilities. What if there was someone else involved? It does seem strange to kill yourself by cutting your inner thigh, but I guess anything is possible. Where's that major artery in your leg? Inner or outer?

I looked up on the web...seems there are a bunch of arteries in the inner thigh. I think that's how Sean Taylor died...gunshot wound to artery in his leg and he bled to death.

I looked up on the web...seems there are a bunch of arteries in the inner thigh. I think that's how Sean Taylor died...gunshot wound to artery in his leg and he bled to death.

I was just looking around too! I think he must have been trying for the femoral artery. In diagrams it looks like it's on top of the thigh towards the inner thigh. (lol does that make sense) I remember hearing "stab" or "knife" wounds or marks in the press conference but I wasn't listening all that closely at first.

Apparently that's what LE is doing as well, murdershewrote, staying open to all possibilities. What if there was someone else involved? It does seem strange to kill yourself by cutting your inner thigh, but I guess anything is possible. Where's that major artery in your leg? Inner or outer?

What a way to kill youself! Maybe there was someone threatening him w/ a knife to write the two notes. I'm sure a handwriting analysis could determine if his writing was written w/ unsteady hands. I just pray the couple is found safe. It does seem strange to me that the next day after his TV appearance, he's dead! Maybe the couple doesn't want to be found.

Maybe the couple or someone related to the case stabbed him to scare him and keep from talking after he was on Greta (or was it Nancy, whatever). Maybe the intent wasn't to kill, but just to shut him up for a while. Weird situation either way.

anyway, if a person is in a suicidal frame of mind, have you ever heard of two separate notes being written? Most people can barely leave even one. I'm not totally sold on the suicide yet.

I found this quote from your link very interesting.

Even though the last man to have seen the Calverts is now dead, authorities say they believe others in the community might have more information on the wealthy couple’s fate.

I'm bumping up my earlier post because of what you all are discussing today. Who are the others authorities are talking about?

I'm bumping up my earlier post because of what you all are discussing today. Who are the others authorities are talking about?

I would imagine other business associates. If there were some shady dealings that the Calverts discovered then others were aware. I would love to know what the 2 notes contained from the guy who committed suicide.

What a way to kill youself! Maybe there was someone threatening him w/ a knife to write the two notes. I'm sure a handwriting analysis could determine if his writing was written w/ unsteady hands. I just pray the couple is found safe. It does seem strange to me that the next day after his TV appearance, he's dead! Maybe the couple doesn't want to be found.

How do they know it was suicide? By the notes? Waiting on the results from the handwriting experts!!

How do they know it was suicide? By the notes? Waiting on the results from the handwriting experts!!

Maybe he was involved and was trying to get out but couldn't. Maybe he had nothing to do with them being missing..but was aware of who did, because he was part of the business dealings with this other person.. Maybe he just couldn't live with himself after he found out what this other individual did them. Maybe he never expected that outcome and just couldn't bear to go on after that. I hope he named names.

BTW has their plane ever been found..at the beginning there were conflicting reports.

JMHO

Maybe he was involved and was trying to get out but couldn't. Maybe he had nothing to do with them being missing..but was aware of who did, because he was part of the business dealings with this other person.. Maybe he just couldn't live with himself after he found out what this other individual did them. Maybe he never expected that outcome and just couldn't bear to go on after that. I hope he named names.

BTW has their plane ever been found..at the beginning there were conflicting reports.

JMHO

Sounds good. I believe their plane has been where the Calverts left it (never touched), according to Nancy Grace.

He had to of been in cohorts with someone. I wonder if he was killed by that other person, to keep quiet and was posed to appear as suicide.
:confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels