SC - Mallory Beach, 19, found deceased after boat crash, Beaufort Co, 24 Feb 2019 *Alex Murdaugh charged*

Why are you sorry?

I suspect the Beeches are more in it for justice for their daughter than they are for the money. And what all has come out about AM is none too flattering. And of course, the poor man has lost his youngest son and wife and his father. If this does go on for years, he'll have this hanging over his head until he dies. There are no winners here.

Sorry to correct you as you said his insurance will not cover another wrongful death suit. As I said earlier they may have to if AM prevails in the lawsuit.

Sorry to correct you as you said his insurance will not cover another wrongful death suit. As I said earlier they may have to if AM prevails in the lawsuit.
Why would the insurance company have to pay should AM prevail in the suit the Beeches have launched? Or are you saying AM has also filed against his insurance company?

It seems to me anyway, that the Beeches suit against AM has already traveled a long way. AM is already looking into how he can get his insurance company to pay.

Why would the insurance company have to pay should AM prevail in the suit the Beeches have launched? Or are you saying AM has also filed against his insurance company?

It seems to me anyway, that the Beeches suit against AM has already traveled a long way. AM is already looking into how he can get his insurance company to pay.

Philadelphia Indemnity filed a lawsuit to prevent paying out anything in the Beach lawsuit. If they lose, they would have to pay up to the amount of coverage if the Beach family prevails in the civil suit. AM has a few policies with them - a $500K marine policy and a 6 million $ umbrella policy. The Beach suit may have traveled a long way but mediation has failed and it may go to a jury trial. It could also go to a jury trial, AM could win, and the Beach family might get nothing.

Philadelphia Indemnity filed a lawsuit to prevent paying out anything in the Beach lawsuit. If they lose, they would have to pay up to the amount of coverage if the Beach family prevails in the civil suit. AM has a few policies with them - a $500K marine policy and a 6 million $ umbrella policy. The Beach suit may have traveled a long way but mediation has failed and it may go to a jury trial. It could also go to a jury trial, AM could win, and the Beach family might get nothing.
I figured that since mediation failed, this would be going to a jury trial. IMO, a jury trial doesn't bode well for AM and family.
A great deal has transpired since the mediation failed: CC filing suit against AM for trying to influencing the outcome of the boat incident; The murder of his wife MM and son PM; The reopening of the SS case. None of that helps AM or his son.

And I'm thinking it's just the tip of the iceberg. IMO, there is a lot more to come out re the M family.

I figured that since mediation failed, this would be going to a jury trial. IMO, a jury trial doesn't bode well for AM and family.
A great deal has transpired since the mediation failed: CC filing suit against AM for trying to influencing the outcome of the boat incident; The murder of his wife MM and son PM; The reopening of the SS case. None of that helps AM or his son.

And I'm thinking it's just the tip of the iceberg. IMO, there is a lot more to come out re the M family.

The murders of MM/PM has nothing to do with a possible civil trial nor does the SS case. CC did not file a lawsuit against AM - he filed a Rule 27 petition allowing him to provide testimony in advance of a potential lawsuit. AM has not been charged with anything as of now. There is a grand jury supposedly investigating whether the Murdaughs influenced the boat accident investigation.

And just because MM/PM were murdered doesn't diminish the legal influence of the Murdaughs in Hampton and the surrounding counties. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Opinion only ...

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

If you recognize yourself in the following, please note:

Any member found to be harassing or attempting to out another WS member outside of Websleuths will automatically have their Websleuths membership revoked.

Those are excellent points you've set out, @Razz. Thank you!

I agree with you when you say, "I'm thinking it's just the tip of the iceberg". The Grand Jury is still meeting (as far as we know)... SS case reopening as a result of findings from the Murdaugh murders investigation, lawsuits...

Philadelphia Indemnity vs Richard Alexander Murdaugh can be found on Pacer. There has been no action since Feb 2021 and the last filing was by AM asserting that all of his insurance policies in force including the boat coverage fall under the umbrella policy. So if true, Philadelphia Indemnity would have to cover any damages from the civil suit up to the policy limit of 6 million. Apparently there is language in the umbrella policy about the underlying policies to that effect, but that will certainly will be subject to legal interpretation.

There's still no hearing date set for Connor Cook's Motion which was filed on July 7, 2021.

Petition/Motion/Pre-Suit Discovery (Notice of Rule 27)

When you click on "Actions" in the Richland County court docket (below), boxes appear on the right hand side (Documents)and you can select either the first one (the Motion) or the attached Exhibits.

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ri...695590108106116120886811312211983848054737852

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ri...515710810998515198791051001151091021191005469

The S.C. Attorney General’s Office on Friday officially dropped all charges against Paul Murdaugh related to the boat crash that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach in 2019.

A Beaufort County grand jury directly indicted Murdaugh April 18, 2019 on three charges: one count of boating under the influence causing death and two counts of boating under the influence causing great bodily injury. He pleaded not guilty in May 2019

However, Kittle said, the investigation into the crash is still ongoing. Although he declined to say why, sources told The Island Packet last month that a state grand jury is investigating whether there was obstruction of justice in the 2019 boat crash investigation.

After the June 7 murders, new documents from the boat crash investigation and subsequent court filings revealed inconsistent sworn statements by police, possible missing evidence, attempts by the Murdaugh family to interfere and initial confusion over who was driving the boat.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article253140318.html

New audio emerges of the moments after a fatal South Carolina boating crash involving Paul Murdaugh | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Chilling new details from 2019 boat crash that killed S.C. teen

DNR officers took photos aboard the boat the next day showing coolers filled with drinks still on ice, along with empty bottles and cans left behind. Hours earlier, surveillance footage showed Paul Murdaugh buying alcohol - police say with a fake I.D. - at a Parker’s gas station in Ridgeland, South Carolina. More surveillance showed him ordering more alcohol at Luther’s Rare & Well Done - a bar in Beaufort.

After the crash, four of the five teens were rushed to Beaufort Memorial Hospital. A nurse stated Paul Murdaugh was, quote, “only wearing boxers and that he was grossly intoxicated and belligerent,” and that he appeared to be, “the most intoxicated and uncooperative of those involved.”

IMO, it is entirely possible that Connor Cook was driving the boat at the time of the accident. Consider the following:
  • No boat occupant was able to definitively say PM was driving
  • Paul was away from wheel numerous times forcing CC to take control
  • Paul idled the boat in circles on several occasions and stepped away from the wheel to remove his clothes and harass other boat occupants including MD
At some point, perhaps CC grew increasingly frustrated at PM's antics and the amount of time it was taking to get home. IIRC, one of the girls had to work the next morning and made that clear in the boat. All speculation on my part.

And also, the timing of CC's filing is suspicious to me. Filed after the murders and when the only remaining person that could contest whether CC was driving was dead. Hmm ...

Critics of this idea will say PM was indicted on 3 felony charges but as Judge Sol Wachtler said "a grand jury can indict a ham sandwich". When the Beach civil trial finally happens, you can bet AM and his lawyers will do their best to dispel the unproven belief that PM was driving the boat.

Why do you think Paul is the only one who can contest whether CC was driving?

Why do you think Paul is the only one who can contest whether CC was driving?

Well ... MB is dead. AC said he had his eyes closed in the back of the boat. MD's head was wrapped in a blanket and MA was screaming CC's name just before the crash and was sitting in front of the center console. Could she see from her position who accelerated the boat ? And why would CC say he sped the boat up even if he really did ?

Driving is one thing - pushing the throttle forward to accelerate the boat is another.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back