SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm

Reaction score
Not much on this yet but I got it on yahoo and foxcarolina.com. This mother and son were found near a dog kennel on their property in Colleton County SC. Their family has a long history of connections to the legal system in the Lowcountry and the son, who was murdered, was currently facing charges in a boating accident causing death.

2 Murdaugh family members shot, killed in Colleton County SC homicide

APPROVED LOCAL SOURCES:
FITSNEWS
The Island Packet

APPROVED PODCASTS:
Murdaugh Murders by Mandy Matney
Impact of Influence - The Murdaugh Family Murders

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6
Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12

Thread #13

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting reading. Very long article.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/01...-negotiating-a-murdaugh-gag-order-in-secret/#

The most hilarious thing about “government transparency” in South Carolina — and trust me, there’s a lot to laugh at with this one — is when you realize the candidate for office with whom you’re speaking (or the elected leader or the publicly paid employee) actually believes they’re cool like that.
“In this office, we believe in transpar–“
No you don’t.
“Our agency is transpar—“
Lol, no it isn’t.
“This department has nothing to hide—“
Then why are you hiding in that bush, sir?
Some public officials love to claim they’re transparent using the same “hopes and dreams” slobber of a person who is trying to manifest a better personality by reciting “I‘m not a jerk” in the mirror before bedtime….

…For almost two weeks now, FITSNews has attempted to ascertain each day whether any motions for a gag order have been filed in this case – or whether Newman signed any order restricting the public’s access to information in the case.

The answer: Wouldn’t it have been nice to get a definitive one!

Real quick, here’s what the state constitution says about how courtrooms are supposed to run …

All courts shall be public, and every person shall have speedy remedy therein for wrongs sustained.

Public.

It’s a word that I’m sure prompts a healthy chuckle from Harpootlian as he’s slowly closing the door behind him after entering judges’ chambers and prosecutors’ offices — while making extreme eye contact with those left in the hall, right up until the door clicks shut …

… which is what he seems to be doing in this case so far.

It begs the question of how so many criminal cases in the lowcountry are handled thru courts in the open every day but this 1, that incidentally already has a cloud of doubt hanging over it, is special?

While we wait for information, Ive been looking again at MM‘s FB and reading old threads. To be clear, nothing I am about to write is official information, stated from a allowed source, or anything other than my comfusion and opinion at work. No, you will not have read this in any approved article. It’s just me musing on a rainy day.

I know sources have told us that AM and MM were experiencing a ‘rough patch’ and were living apart. But Im beginning to wonder if that ‘living apart’ is not a bit deceptive. On her FB page, MM states, ‘moved to Edisto’ on July12, 2020. I wonder if that could be when they bought the beach house? it is not unusual for a wife to live ’in season’ at a vacation home, especially when its as close as Edisto to Moselle…and the working husband joins her on weekends. With the lawsuit looming, and perhaps the atmosphere in Hampton a bit hostile at times, Edisto would have been a refuge for the who;e famoly…from all that trouble.

On her FB, in Oct…she posts an affectionate photo of the two of them together, his arms around her, on a boat. She makes it her profile picture, no less! Other family photos and outings continue until her death. These suggest to me, that after her season at Edisto, she was back at the family home.

It was June when she was murdered, in season again at Edisto…so maybe ‘living apart’ did not indicate a full separation.

To my knowledge, there has been no definitive confirmation that she had hired a divorce Attorney, nor has one been named.

Then there is the report that AM stayed with her side of the family after the murders. A bit unusual, if their daughter/sister was so unhappy that she was divorcing him. Also unusual when he has extended family of his own in the area.

I also listened again to the interview with the brothers. They certainly gave the impression that everything was fine…MM was the ‘rock of that family.’ Quite a risk for them and their brother if others could have stepped forward and said..”No, she was divorcing him.’ Why say anything at all?

Why did she come to Moselle that night? AM sounded ‘fishy’ to her, but she came. She was reported to be ‘close’ to her Father-in-law…so surely someone else in the family would have told her the hospital for a deathbed visit. And if she did arrive around 6pm…and she did die at 9:30pm…she did not just show up…she stayed. Maybe her car was running because she drove down to the kennels to pick up PM because of the rain.…and just popped out to check on the dog.

Im not suggesting there wasn’t some difficulty between them. But we are working with so much second hand ‘source’ information. I really don’t put much trust in media these days. It will be very interesting when the trial comes, and we are told a theory based on actual evidence. These musings are my opinions only…and only my opinions at the moment, on a rainy day. Lol

While we wait for information, Ive been looking again at MM‘s FB and reading old threads. To be clear, nothing I am about to write is official information, stated from a allowed source, or anything other than my comfusion and opinion at work. No, you will not have read this in any approved article. It’s just me musing on a rainy day.

I know sources have told us that AM and MM were experiencing a ‘rough patch’ and were living apart. But Im beginning to wonder if that ‘living apart’ is not a bit deceptive. On her FB page, MM states, ‘moved to Edisto’ on July12, 2020. I wonder if that could be when they bought the beach house? it is not unusual for a wife to live ’in season’ at a vacation home, especially when its as close as Edisto to Moselle…and the working husband joins her on weekends. With the lawsuit looming, and perhaps the atmosphere in Hampton a bit hostile at times, Edisto would have been a refuge for the who;e famoly…from all that trouble.

On her FB, in Oct…she posts an affectionate photo of the two of them together, his arms around her, on a boat. She makes it her profile picture, no less! Other family photos and outings continue until her death. These suggest to me, that after her season at Edisto, she was back at the family home.

It was June when she was murdered, in season again at Edisto…so maybe ‘living apart’ did not indicate a full separation.

To my knowledge, there has been no definitive confirmation that she had hired a divorce Attorney, nor has one been named.

Then there is the report that AM stayed with her side of the family after the murders. A bit unusual, if their daughter/sister was so unhappy that she was divorcing him. Also unusual when he has extended family of his own in the area.

I also listened again to the interview with the brothers. They certainly gave the impression that everything was fine…MM was the ‘rock of that family.’ Quite a risk for them and their brother if others could have stepped forward and said..”No, she was divorcing him.’ Why say anything at all?

Why did she come to Moselle that night? AM sounded ‘fishy’ to her, but she came. She was reported to be ‘close’ to her Father-in-law…so surely someone else in the family would have told her the hospital for a deathbed visit. And if she did arrive around 6pm…and she did die at 9:30pm…she did not just show up…she stayed. Maybe her car was running because she drove down to the kennels to pick up PM because of the rain.…and just popped out to check on the dog.

Im not suggesting there wasn’t some difficulty between them. But we are working with so much second hand ‘source’ information. I really don’t put much trust in media these days. It will be very interesting when the trial comes, and we are told a theory based on actual evidence. These musings are my opinions only…and only my opinions at the moment, on a rainy day. Lol

In SC, to divorce, the couple must be separated for a full year prior to filing for divorce. I have always wondered if her posting that was the start of the year countdown?

There's also a tax advantage in SC if you own a property & a vacation property (what the Edisto property could have been considered) to have someone living full-time at both (so it's not considered a vacation property but a full-time residence). Knowing AM's legal/financial machinations, this could have been a case to lessen his tax burden. (SC has a heavy tax for vacation/tourism related things since tourism is a major economic driver for the state.) Doing so might have also saved on homeowner's insurance too. (?)

MOO.

In SC, to divorce, the couple must be separated for a full year prior to filing for divorce. I have always wondered if her posting that was the start of the year countdown?

There's also a tax advantage in SC if you own a property & a vacation property (what the Edisto property could have been considered) to have someone living full-time at both (so it's not considered a vacation property but a full-time residence). Knowing AM's legal/financial machinations, this could have been a case to lessen his tax burden. (SC has a heavy tax for vacation/tourism related things since tourism is a major economic driver for the state.) Doing so might have also saved on homeowner's insurance too. (?)

MOO.
My husband and I tried for that break with our vacation home in SC, and I was legitimately full time. No luck…because we paid taxes in another state. Maybe different if both homes are in SC.

But very true about the heavier tax burden on a part-time home. Maybe AM was finessing the law.

If that was the start of a bid to be legally separated for a full year, she was careless with her social media. They certainly look like they are together.

Thanks for the info on purchase date for Edisto. ❤️ In 20 years, they still had a large outstanding mortgage. Hmmmm….And weren’t they in arrears on the property tax?

My husband and I tried for that break with our vacation home in SC, and I was legitimately full time. No luck…because we paid taxes in another state. Maybe different if both homes are in SC.

But very true about the heavier tax burden on a part-time home. Maybe AM was finessing the law.

I *think* there's a tax break. But, I am not a tax expert nor am I a lawyer. If there's a tax break, I feel like AM was likely finessing the law to favor himself.

MOO.

If that was the start of a bid to be legally separated for a full year, she was careless with her social media. They certainly look like they are together.

Thanks for the info on purchase date for Edisto. ❤️ In 20 years, they still had a large outstanding mortgage. Hmmmm….And weren’t they in arrears on the property tax?

I found that weird, here in Md if you have a mortgage the taxes are in the monthly mortgage, maybe that is a community fee?

Jmo

Palmetto State Bank has a mortgage against the Edisto house of $222,525.35. According to the court documents, the bank says they’ll waive interest and late charges, lowering that amount to $203,329.71.

The house at Edisto Beach would most likely be considered a second home. It would have a higher tax rate than the primary residence, the large estate at Mosselle. You can only have one primary home. In addition to Colleton County's property tax bill, there would be an assessment by Edisto Beach. Unless the house was rented or leased, the "tourism" taxes would not kick in. I doubt there are homeowners insurance differences for full-time occupancy vs. part-time occupancy, although there would be significant differences if the house were unoccupied or rented.

It might be possible that AM might try to take a tax deduction related to the property if he was staying at Edisto Beach when going to court in Charleston. That might not be completely legal, but he might try.

I found that weird, here in Md if you have a mortgage the taxes are in the monthly mortgage, maybe that is a community fee?

Jmo
I have bought several properties in South Carolina over the years. In some cases, the property taxes (and homeowners insurance) have been amortized into the escrow account. More recently, it seems that mortgage companies want to minimize escrow activity and property taxes and homeowners insurance are paid directly by the home-owner

MOO.
Yes. She was about to reach the official 1-year mark right before her murder. My opinion is this definitely was a factor in her murder.
Several of her friends have been quoted in stating that she was planning to divorce Alex.
I am not sure, though, that their families were aware of this (except of course their children).
MOO

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/01...-negotiating-a-murdaugh-gag-order-in-secret/#

The most hilarious thing about “government transparency” in South Carolina — and trust me, there’s a lot to laugh at with this one — is when you realize the candidate for office with whom you’re speaking (or the elected leader or the publicly paid employee) actually believes they’re cool like that.
No you don’t.
Lol, no it isn’t.
Some public officials love to claim they’re transparent using the same “hopes and dreams” slobber of a person who is trying to manifest a better personality by reciting “I‘m not a jerk” in the mirror before bedtime….

…For almost two weeks now, FITSNews has attempted to ascertain each day whether any motions for a gag order have been filed in this case – or whether Newman signed any order restricting the public’s access to information in the case.

Real quick, here’s what the state constitution says about how courtrooms are supposed to run …

All courts shall be public, and every person shall have speedy remedy therein for wrongs sustained.

Public.

It’s a word that I’m sure prompts a healthy chuckle from Harpootlian as he’s slowly closing the door behind him after entering judges’ chambers and prosecutors’ offices — while making extreme eye contact with those left in the hall, right up until the door clicks shut …

I'm sorry, is this a mashup of opinion articles on the case? Can't make heads or tails of the sources or the main points. My apologies. Can someone help me out? (What was the slobbering in the mirror source? I'll start with that one.) TIA

No you don’t.
Lol, no it isn’t.

Public.

I'm sorry, is this a mashup of opinion articles on the case? Can't make heads or tails of the sources or the main points. My apologies. Can someone help me out? (What was the slobbering in the mirror source? I'll start with that one.) T

Very interesting!!

The house at Edisto Beach would most likely be considered a second home. It would have a higher tax rate than the primary residence, the large estate at Mosselle. You can only have one primary home. In addition to Colleton County's property tax bill, there would be an assessment by Edisto Beach. Unless the house was rented or leased, the "tourism" taxes would not kick in. I doubt there are homeowners insurance differences for full-time occupancy vs. part-time occupancy, although there would be significant differences if the house were unoccupied or rented.

It might be possible that AM might try to take a tax deduction related to the property if he was staying at Edisto Beach when going to court in Charleston. That might not be completely legal, but he might try.
We have two homes, one is seasonal, and our insurance rates are only calculated based on replacement cost and risk factors, like proximity to water, fire risk, proximity to emergency services, and all of those other things that make a house more or less risky. The rates aren't different based on how much time we spend at either one. If we rented one, that would be an additional risk factor and our insurance rates would be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie