SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money for sure could be the motive for the murders but it might be the lack of progress and monetary settlement in the civil suit that proves to be the true motive. A few days prior to the murders, the M's were fighting the release of financial documents, claiming the interrogatories were too broad. Those documents alone would have given the court an idea of what these folks were really worth and what they could pay.

Combine that with the slow walk of PM's criminal proceedings and perhaps that drove someone to take the law into their own hands.

JMO
I agree. The more humane response would have seemed to be how insanely sorry they were and willing to do anything to make the plaintiff feel even a tiny bit better. Rather than, nope, sue us, and trying to fight it I imagine by claiming it was her fault? Terribly insulting.

Money for sure could be the motive for the murders but it might be the lack of progress and monetary settlement in the civil suit that proves to be the true motive. A few days prior to the murders, the M's were fighting the release of financial documents, claiming the interrogatories were too broad. Those documents alone would have given the court an idea of what these folks were really worth and what they could pay.

Combine that with the slow walk of PM's criminal proceedings and perhaps that drove someone to take the law into their own hands.

JMO

I'd be more open to that theory if either the criminal case against PM or the civil suit against AM1/AM2/RMSr had been dismissed.

Both cases were still pending at the time of the murders, though, and (prior to PM's murder, at least), moving forward, albeit slowly, through the court system.

The wheels of justice turn slowly.
Some families wait decades for it.

I'm just not seeing any indicators that someone from MB's team went off the rails and lost it.

I can't get past the fact that concomitant to the murders, the family patriarch, RM, was literally on his deathbed.

Coincidence?

Maybe. Maybe not.

"Cui Bono?"

J.M.O.

Last edited:
In regard to the cases going forward, I’m thinking about what has been shared about why some0ne in Colorado might let the M law firm handle their case….because, by law, …it could be apparently be adjudicated in SC on hometown turf.

In legal debates, we often see the term “judge shopping.” How fair is the legal system in those five counties? I have no idea if the M’s lose as many cases as they win…and if the residents feel that they have an equal access to justice. But these tragic events are now publicly posing those questions.

Would there be any fear to the defendants to have the case continue… if, just speculating, such a cosy relationship actually does exist in their part of the State? Others suing them are paying for lawyers…which could be onerous as the case drags on. In a case like this, is their any financial burden if the defendants are part of a family of high priced lawyers?

‘My thoughts and opinions only.

In regard to the cases going forward, I’m thinking about what has been shared about why some0ne in Colorado might let the M law firm handle their case….because, by law, …it could be apparently be adjudicated in SC on hometown turf.

In legal debates, we often see the term “judge shopping.” How fair is the legal system in those five counties? I have no idea if the M’s lose as many cases as they win…and if the residents feel that they have an equal access to justice. But these tragic events are now publicly posing those questions.

Would there be any fear to the defendants to have the case continue… if, just speculating, such a cosy relationship actually does exist in their part of the State? Others suing them are paying for lawyers…which could be onerous as the case drags on. In a case like this, is their any financial burden if the defendants are part of a family of high priced lawyers?

‘My thoughts and opinions only.

PMPED is a law firm specializing in personal injury cases. I'd bet most of their cases settled prior to even getting to trial but surely the M's would have an advantage if they came to trial locally. It's a double-edged sword as the M's were able to garner nice settlements for some of the county residents but corporations were reluctant to move to Hampton County due to the chance of being sued locally. I'd bet if documents were available, we'd see that the lawyers at PMPED made some nice contributions to the campaign funds of locally elected judges.

JMO

Many personal injury lawyers essentially do not charge to take cases. Rather, clients are only billed (lawyers percentage plus pre trial expenses are deducted from the collection automatically) if money is collected from the target of the law suit. As a result, those suing the "M"s would not have legal expenses.

As for the M's legal expenses, they are not only wealthy, but can add their very extensive "Sue'em" legal knowledge free of charge to the efforts of any competent lawyer they hire in their defense. Likewise, they can also defend themselves.

As a result, the M's could probably sustain a very active defense in regards to the lawsuit for a very, very long time-all the way through the appellate system if needed.

I agree. The more humane response would have seemed to be how insanely sorry they were and willing to do anything to make the plaintiff feel even a tiny bit better. Rather than, nope, sue us, and trying to fight it I imagine by claiming it was her fault? Terribly insulting.

To the M's credit, they were willing to enter into settlement negotiations with the family of the victim.

When the settlement talks broke down, they then raised the possibility that one of the other also intoxicated boaters had throttled the motor (not a far fetched possibility- though the driver could have throttled it back down equally fast).

Likewise, the more senior "M" (the one with the money) was being sued indirectly as he was not even present when the accident occurred.

In the end, unless the details of the settlement talks become public (highly unlikely), it can be difficult to say to what extent the M's were playing legal "hard ball" regarding the case.

As the M's know from long experience as "Sue'em" attorneys, some times the plaintiff's attorney can be the one playing legal hard ball in the hopes of winning a mega settlement.

I'm going to go on record as saying that I ain't buying the suggestion that PM was the sole intended target and that MM was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

It was, after all, the woman's house.
It was after 9 pm on a weeknight.
I'm not exactly sure where else she was supposed to be after dark on a weeknight.

I can't imagine the woman's presence at her own home on a weeknight would come as a complete shock to the killer(s).

I'm seeing signs of someone perhaps planting a false narrative.
Someone may be attempting to muddy the investigative waters so that that LE can't spot the monster slithering beneath the surface.

I'm openly speculating that someone would LIKE us all to believe PM was the sole intended target.
If PM was the sole intended target, the list of suspects is long, indeed.

But if MM was ALSO an intended victim, that list likely becomes considerably shorter, and this case becomes much more straightforward.

I think this will prove to be a two birds/one stone crime.

The fact that two guns were used, notwithstanding.

J.M.O.
I wasn't thinking this way until the "dragging her out" article surfaced.
But I am now.

To the M's credit, they were willing to enter into settlement negotiations with the family of the victim.

When the settlement talks broke down, they then raised the possibility that one of the other also intoxicated boaters had throttled the motor (not a far fetched possibility- though the driver could have throttled it back down equally fast).

Likewise, the more senior "M" (the one with the money) was being sued indirectly as he was not even present when the accident occurred.

In the end, unless the details of the settlement talks become public (highly unlikely), it can be difficult to say to what extent the M's were playing legal "hard ball" regarding the case.

As the M's know from long experience as "Sue'em" attorneys, some times the plaintiff's attorney can be the one playing legal hard ball in the hopes of winning a mega settlement.
Did they enter the mediation/settlement talks on their own or were they ordered into by the Judge? IDK

Did they enter the mediation/settlement talks on their own or were they ordered into by the Judge? IDK
I believe that judges routinely order mediation regarding lawsuits.

But..... judges cannot compel either a defendant or a plaintiff to make a serious effort in the mediation process. Rather either party can tokenly comply with the order- then demand a trial.

So, with out knowing the details of the talks, it is not possible to know how much effort either the M's or the plaintiff's attorney took to reach a reasonable settlement during the ordered mediation.

I'm going to go on record as saying that I ain't buying the suggestion that PM was the sole intended target and that MM was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

It was, after all, the woman's house.
It was after 9 pm on a weeknight.
I'm not exactly sure where else she was supposed to be after dark on a weeknight.

I can't imagine the woman's presence at her own home on a weeknight would come as a complete shock to the killer(s).

I'm seeing signs of someone perhaps planting a false narrative.
Someone may be attempting to muddy the investigative waters so that that LE can't spot the monster slithering beneath the surface.

I'm openly speculating that someone would LIKE us all to believe PM was the sole intended target.
If PM was the sole intended target, the list of suspects is long, indeed.

But if MM was ALSO an intended victim, that list likely becomes considerably shorter, and this case becomes much more straightforward.

I think this will prove to be a two birds/one stone crime.

The fact that two guns were used, notwithstanding.

J.M.O.
I have questio s re transfer of assets from AM to MM. Did the property transfers happen after the boat accident?

Are both MM's assets and AM's assets considered together when AM was having to show his assets?

Now that MM is deceased, what happens to her assets?

I really hope the national news media starts shining a brighter light into these cases and this family. If not then I’m afraid these 2 murders will get swept under the rug like the previous ones related to this case. They could easily have some of the SLED officers under their thumb too.

I agree because I’m aware of just how much the officials in these small south places hate that spotlight and will want this resolved. The citizens are the same way, in fear of how they will “look”.

I have questio s re transfer of assets from AM to MM. Did the property transfers happen after the boat accident?

Are both MM's assets and AM's assets considered together when AM was having to show his assets?

Now that MM is deceased, what happens to her assets?

The Edisto Beach house was/is jointly owned. All of the rest (at least Colleton County props) were quitclaimed to MM in Dec 2016.

Not sure about the 2nd question, but I assume it would only be AM's assets.

To evaluate MM's assets, probate would most likely look at an estate plan/will prepared in MM's name. With AM being a lawyer, I'm sure they had that covered.

qPublic.net - Colleton County, SC - Search

Last edited:
The Edisto Beach house was/is jointly owned. All of the rest (at least Colleton County props) were quitclaimed to MM in Dec 2016.

Not sure about the 2nd question, but I assume it would only be AM's assets.

To evaluate MM's assets, probate wpuld most likely look at an estate plan/will prepared in MM's name. With AM being a lawyer, I'm sure they had that covered.

When was the lawsuit about the death of the maid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80