SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLED didn’t break rules with heavy redactions to Murdaugh murder documents, judge says

Circuit Judge Bentley Price wrote that the S.C. Law Enforcement Division blacked out much of Murdaugh crime scene reports released to the public “in good faith,” to protect the integrity of the investigation.

S.C. FOIA law allows for a number of exemptions to keep information private when police investigate a crime, to keep from releasing information that would impact the investigation or eventual prosecution of someone arrested. After reviewing the reports, Price said SLED met those exemptions.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article253083213.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article253083213.html

This was probably decided before it was heard. No surprise that the court went with SLED.

Some of the press I've seemed to imply that the smith and beach cases were quiet so doesn't surprise me this one is also. Besides, I'm not convinced that LE in that part of SC is looking for the actors in this case as much as they want to build a case against someone(s) whom they think they can convict. And some usual suspects could be anyone who in the past spoke in a threatening manner to or about PM. From what I've read there are probably a few of those around those parts. Most likely AM has provided some clues. This is why I think they reopened the Smith case. They probably want to talk to a few people they had already talked to in that case. MOO.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but reading some of the comments on various threads - including this one about South Carolina makes me feel like I should be wearing overalls, be barefoot, wear a straw hat and chew on tobacco all while loading my stockpile of guns into my beat up pickup truck. ;)

SLED didn’t break rules with heavy redactions to Murdaugh murder documents, judge says

Circuit Judge Bentley Price wrote that the S.C. Law Enforcement Division blacked out much of Murdaugh crime scene reports released to the public “in good faith,” to protect the integrity of the investigation.

S.C. FOIA law allows for a number of exemptions to keep information private when police investigate a crime, to keep from releasing information that would impact the investigation or eventual prosecution of someone arrested. After reviewing the reports, Price said SLED met those exemptions.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article253083213.html#storylink=cpy

This was probably decided before it was heard. No surprise that the court went with SLED.
This is not directed at anyone in particular but reading some of the comments on various threads - including this one about South Carolina makes me feel like I should be wearing overalls, be barefoot, wear a straw hat and chew on tobacco all while loading my stockpile of guns into my beat up pickup truck. ;)

Not far off, I have shoes and don’t chew. Worm farming ain't all just glitz and glamor.

Some of the press I've seemed to imply that the smith and beach cases were quiet so doesn't surprise me this one is also. Besides, I'm not convinced that LE in that part of SC is looking for the actors in this case as much as they want to build a case against someone(s) whom they think they can convict. And some usual suspects could be anyone who in the past spoke in a threatening manner to or about PM. From what I've read there are probably a few of those around those parts. Most likely AM has provided some clues. This is why I think they reopened the Smith case. They probably want to talk to a few people they had already talked to in that case. MOO.
AM may have provided some clues, but I doubt that he added anything to the SS investigation. His sons are implicated in that death.

I lived in Georgia closer to Dalton then Atlanta, daughter was in elementary school. It was nothing to see a gun rack in the back window of a pickup, it didn’t bother me one bit. I also saw that folks did not have it as well off as others. I never looked at them any different. Yes while working at lowes I did see men in overalls, not much tobacco chewing. And some ppl had old couches on their porch and maybe a fridge. It’s there in different patches of rural counties theres no denying it. Most of them are dam good ppl.

Jmo

I’ve considered it a hit but not carried out by “local yahoos/hunters.” I’ve always thought it is a hit but think there was only one shooter. If local, then only one shooter for sure who will never say anything about it. Two people from that area? No, someone will say something sooner or later. Or question “hey, what did you do with that shotgun your grandpa left you? I want to borrow it.” And then starts to put too many things together. It’s not like it’s a huge metropolitan city.
I mentioned this possibility earlier upthread: one (local) person was hired. Unbeknownst to the hiring party, the hit man pays a buddy to help him do it. This would explain the use of 2 weapons (2 shooters). JMO.

I lived in Georgia closer to Dalton then Atlanta, daughter was in elementary school. It was nothing to see a gun rack in the back window of a pickup, it didn’t bother me one bit. I also saw that folks did not have it as well off as others. I never looked at them any different. Yes while working at lowes I did see men in overalls, not much tobacco chewing. And some ppl had old couches on their porch and maybe a fridge. It’s there in different patches of rural counties theres no denying it. Most of them are dam good ppl.

Jmo

Good people, indeed, and would do anything for you.

Jmo

Yep. I worked at the high school in our moderately sized town in SC and there were guns in gun racks in the back of almost pickup truck in the student parking lot. That’s just how it was, no big deal.
When our church basketball team played a team from outside of town most of their players wore overalls and we didn’t think a thing about it. They also ran up and down the court like gazelles and beat the crap out of us!

Okay, friends -- I revised my annotated partial aerials of Moselle and the crime scene. They are post #4 in our document/resource thread.

I apologize for the arrows to the houses on the Kennel photo not being an accurate 45 degrees but that wasn't an option in my software.

Also, take note in the Kennel photo of something on the ground to the left of the ME's van. It seems relevant but it's too small to be a covered body. Thinking about all the LE vehicles clustered in front of the red storage building and the ME's van, where it is, I'm wondering if the shooting was in or near the wooded area to the left of the van.
- - - - - - - -

I also can't stop thinking of AM saying something like, "I've been up to it now, and it's bad."

Wonder how AM was first aware that MM and PM were injured/something was wrong? I have been thinking he sees them in the field or on the driveway with his headlights. Can't remember if he tells 911 they aren't breathing or they are dead before he says he's been close to them and it's bad. [Not sure I'm up for listening to the recording again, if someone remembers.] I'm trying to picture his approach.

I'm also liking the idea that perhaps PM was staying at what we have referred to as the caretaker house -- that would be a normal thing for a guy who's been living in an apt at college to want to do over the summer break. Wondered if he had invited one or two of his B-list friends or a working girl over and they/she set him up? Or if he's living there alone, someone who he might have dealt with illegally came calling for a debt owed.

Still thinking it's a hit and personal. I would suspect they did have security cameras, but if it was a planned hit, someone had disabled them? Don't know what to say about MM. No facts here. OMO.

Okay, friends -- I revised my annotated partial aerials of Moselle and the crime scene. They are post #4 in our document/resource thread.

I apologize for the arrows to the houses on the Kennel photo not being an accurate 45 degrees but that wasn't an option in my software.

Also, take note in the Kennel photo of something on the ground to the left of the ME's van. It seems relevant but it's too small to be a covered body. Thinking about all the LE vehicles clustered in front of the red storage building and the ME's van, where it is, I'm wondering if the shooting was in or near the wooded area to the left of the van.
- - - - - - - -

I also can't stop thinking of AM saying something like, "I've been up to it now, and it's bad."

Wonder how AM was first aware that MM and PM were injured/something was wrong? I have been thinking he sees them in the field or on the driveway with his headlights. Can't remember if he tells 911 they aren't breathing or they are dead before he says he's been close to them and it's bad. [Not sure I'm up for listening to the recording again, if someone remembers.] I'm trying to picture his approach.

I'm also liking the idea that perhaps PM was staying at what we have referred to as the caretaker house -- that would be a normal thing for a guy who's been living in an apt at college to want to do over the summer break. Wondered if he had invited one or two of his B-list friends or a working girl over and they/she set him up? Or if he's living there alone, someone who he might have dealt with illegally came calling for a debt owed.

Still thinking it's a hit and personal. I would suspect they did have security cameras, but if it was a planned hit, someone had disabled them? Don't know what to say about MM. No facts here. OMO.
The maps are excellent. Thank you for posting them.

Jmo
This is what I love about the South and Texas. There are no social classes, everyone mixes with each other, no snubbing. IMO, that is the way life should be!

Here is something that I came across today that IMO is very interesting. BBM (Bolded By Me)

The police found shell casings at the scene, but little else. The coroner, Richard M. Harvey, said both victims had been shot multiple times and that the police had initially not found any weapons; he declined to elaborate.

The Murdaugh Murder Mystery Deepens in South Carolina - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The way I want to hear this is that there weren't any guns lying around outside or near the victims. They retrieved shell casings, which allowed then to assess caliber/gage and along with results of autopsies, perhaps brought up other ballistics questions. They go back out to Moselle to compare their findings and questions with the collection of firearms — they then retrieved the guns they found interesting.

BTW — a lot of shootings occur with sawed-off shot guns. With short barrel, easier to manage and hide.

JMO.

The way I want to hear this is that there weren't any guns lying around outside or near the victims. They retrieved shell casings, which allowed then to assess caliber/gage and along with results of autopsies, perhaps brought up other ballistics questions. They go back out to Moselle to compare their findings and questions with the collection of firearms — they then retrieved the guns they found interesting.

BTW — a lot of shootings occur with sawed-off shot guns. With short barrel, easier to manage and hide.

JMO.

This is confusing but i wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t find the murder weapons on scene.

This is what I love about the South and Texas. There are no social classes, everyone mixes with each other, no snubbing. IMO, that is the way life should be!
This sounds lovely but not based on reality. There is a wealthy class in most towns/cities of any size and a great deal of segregation. Sad but true.

AM may have provided some clues, but I doubt that he added anything to the SS investigation. His sons are implicated in that death.

Well I'd guess that because the sons were implicated , some people might have spoken harshly or threatened buster and or Paul. AM might have reminded investigators of this when he was interviewed. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid